South Korea Pet Food Market Size
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Market Size (2023)||USD 1.13 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 1.69 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||8.38 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
South Korea Pet Food Market Analysis
The South Korea Pet Food Market size is estimated at USD 1.13 billion in 2023, and is expected to reach USD 1.69 billion by 2028, growing at a CAGR of 8.38% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
- The societal change toward animals is fostering the trend of pet humanization. These factors drive the market further, as consumers now prefer specialized or commercial foods. The other significant driver for the market is the increase in the elderly and single populations, who usually prefer pets for companionship and security. The increase in disposable incomes and the societal acceptance of pets in restaurants and apartments are the other drivers for the market.
- This rise has been significantly influenced by governmental regulation. The pet industry is one of the five promising areas to concentrate on in South Korea's quest to revive the economy. In the years that followed, Pet culture underwent extensive modification. According to the pet food industry, the South Korean pet business authority reportedly created a five-year strategy to enhance animal welfare and pet ownership at the beginning of 2020. This plan is thought to strengthen the regional pet industry further.
- The premium pet food category is interestingly showing steady growth in the South Korean pet food market. People are willing to spend more on quality pet products, including pet food, given better overall health and longevity of their pets.
South Korea Pet Food Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the South Korea Pet Food Market according to our research experts:
Increasing pet population and consumer expenditure on premium pet food
Pet humanization is becoming globally accepted in the pet industry because more pet owners are willing to provide their pets with human-like products and experiences. Rapid urbanization and changing lifestyles have brought about a renewed interest in pets, especially cats and dogs, in the country.
According to Statistics Korea, 4.54 million households own dogs, and 1.12 million own cats. One out of every four South Korean adults owns a pet. Also, the number of households owning cats and dogs is rising. According to a survey conducted by Korea Pet Food Association, dog owners spend an average of USD 232 a year on pet food and USD 156 on pet snacks. Dog and cat food account for 99 % of pet food sales in Korea.
People are increasingly paying attention to pet food and pet care, which has led to increasing pet food spending and product differentiation in the market. While low-priced pet food still dominates the market, premium pet food sales have increased significantly as more pet owners view their pets as family members. As a result, the pet treats category is booming in the country. Businesses are profiting from this trend by releasing high-end pet food and treat items created from natural, protein-rich ingredients without synthetic coloring, flavors, or preservatives. Additionally, pet food and treat development has given rise to a wide range of product offerings, such as probiotics for animals and mealworm-based goods.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Increasing Import of Pet Food
Imports are estimated to account for over 70% of the pet food market in Korea, according to a United States Department of Agriculture(USDA) report. The United States and China are the major importers to the country , the former leading by about 27 %.
Premium pet food products are the fastest-growing segment in the country. Since the majority of pet food products on the market are imported, many Korean companies have recently entered the pet food market and are launching high-quality, lower-priced products to compete with imported pet food.
In peak years, imported pet food accounted for a sizeable portion of the market share in South Korea. Pet food producers in Europe and Southern Asia are posing a growing threat to US and Chinese leadership, which currently hold the top spots by volume and value, respectively. While China dominates the snack market due to its closeness, the US, European nations, and Canada benefit from duty-free status and hold a larger part of the pet food market.
The variety and nutritional advantages are the top two reasons pet owners choose imported pet food, according to a poll by the Korea Pet Food Association. Consumers' low price sensitivity and high brand loyalty toward imported goods provide international companies more room to expand their market reach.
South Korea Pet Food Industry Overview
The South Korean pet food market is consolidated, with the top players holding a significant share. Mars Incorporated, LG Unicharm, ANF by Texas Farm Products Co. Inc., CJ CheilJedang Corp., and Nestle Purina SA are the prominent companies in the market. The major players focus on product launches and acquisitions to strengthen their foothold in the market.
South Korea Pet Food Market Leaders
CJ CheilJedang Corp.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
South Korea Pet Food Market News
- November 2022: Mars Petcare signed an agreement to acquire Champion Petfood, a global pet food brand with a significant presence in South Korea. Champion pet food was a trusted brand in the premium and natural pet food category and saw a lot of consumer footfall. This acquisition aims to integrate Champion pet food's expertise in this field country's and Mars's brand loyalty.
- January 2022: Dongwon F&B partnered with Bmsmile, a domestic pet product brand operator, to develop functional moist pet food packed in sealed pouches and cans. The partnership would also help the company expand its presence in South Korea.
South Korea Pet Food Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Pet Type
5.1.3 Other Pet Types
5.2 Product Type
5.2.1 Dry Pet Foods
5.2.2 Wet Pet Foods
5.2.3 Veterinary Diets
5.2.4 Treats and Snacks
5.2.5 Other Product Types
5.3 Distribution Channel
5.3.2 Specialty Stores
5.3.3 Online Channels
5.3.4 Other Distribution Channels
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Mars Inc.
6.3.2 Nestle SA (Purina)
6.3.3 LG Unicharm
6.3.5 CJ CheilJedang Corp.
6.3.6 Hill's Pet Nutrition Inc.
6.3.7 Cargill Inc.
6.3.9 Diamond Pet Foods
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
South Korea Pet Food Market Research FAQs
How big is the South Korea Pet Food Market?
The South Korea Pet Food Market size is expected to reach USD 1.13 billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 8.38% to reach USD 1.69 billion by 2028.
What is the current South Korea Pet Food Market size?
In 2023, the South Korea Pet Food Market size is expected to reach USD 1.13 billion.
Who are the key players in South Korea Pet Food Market?
Mars, Incorporated, LG UNICHARM, ANF, CJ CheilJedang Corp. and Nestle purina are the major companies operating in the South Korea Pet Food Market.
South Korea Pet Food Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 South Korea Pet Food market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. South Korea Pet Food analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.