South America Cosmetics Products Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
South America Cosmetics Products Market Analysis
The South American cosmetics products market is projected to register a CAGR of 6.8% in the upcoming five years.
- South America is one of the world's fastest-growing and most vibrant cosmetics markets globally. Moreover, innovation in beauty products has continued to drive the sales of cosmetics products in the market. The increasing consciousness of customers about their appearance is one of the major reasons driving market expansion. Millennials are increasingly using color cosmetics items such as foundation, blush, lipsticks, and eye shadow as part of their regular grooming routine, which in turn, is fueling growth in the market across the region.
- On the other hand, the increasing demand for natural, organic, cruelty-free cosmetic products and innovative and eco-friendly packaging designs are expected to expand the overall size in the coming years. In line with changing consumer behavior, manufacturers are collaborating with other players to expand their portfolio in the natural cosmetic category. For instance, in 2020, Aveda partnered with LACES and Hair, an environment-conscious hair salon and spa, to expand its full range of Aveda’s naturally-derived products and services, including customized hair color, shine, and conditioning treatments in Brazil.
- As product safety and efficacy testing brings added value to cosmetics, there has been an increasing demand for clinical testing in the region, supported by ongoing government efforts to impose strict regulations on the cosmetics industry. For instance, in November 2021, the National Health Surveillance Agency (Anvisa), the Brazilian agency responsible for inspecting the safety of drugs and cosmetics, published a technical note (Nota Tecnica (NT) 5/2021) specifying the procedures for labeling the ingredients in cosmetic products that are sold in the country.
South America Cosmetics Products Industry Segmentation
A "cosmetic" is any substance used to clean, improve or change the complexion, skin, hair, nails, or teeth. Cosmetics include beauty preparations (make-up, perfume, skin cream, nail polish) and grooming aids (soap, shampoo, shaving cream, deodorant)
The South American cosmetics market is segmented by product type and distribution channel. Based on product type, the market is segmented into color cosmetics and hairstyling and coloring products. Based on the distribution channel, the market is segmented into hypermarkets/supermarkets, specialty stores, convenience stores, online retail stores, and other distribution channels. By geography, the market is segmented into Brazil, Argentina, and the Rest of South America.
For each segment, the market sizing and forecast have been done based on value (in USD million).
|Other Distribution Channels|
|Rest of South America|
South America Cosmetics Products Market Trends
Increasing Inclination Toward Functional cosmetics
- The cosmetics industry's transition to functional cosmetics has accelerated due to rising concerns about skin health. Similarly, the younger generation is more interested in using cosmetics products with added nutrients such as vitamin A, which is rich in retinoids. Vitamin A's derivatives help reverse photo-aging, reduce wrinkles' appearance, and treat acne and skin-lightening effects.
- In recent years, Brazilian consumers have significantly shifted in beauty preferences, with an increasing focus on functional and hybrid cosmetic products that combine beauty and skincare benefits. This trend is particularly evident in the color cosmetics segment, where consumers seek products that enhance their appearance and provide additional skincare benefits.
- Hence, this scenario creates a lucrative opportunity for makeup brands to penetrate the facial skincare category by developing hybrid makeup products. For instance, in 2021, Boticario, Brazil's leading cosmetics, makeup, and perfume brand, introduced a range of makeup products containing retinol.
- Furthermore, cosmetic product manufacturers' increasing use of natural functional ingredients is expected to increase the organic and natural sales prospects of cosmetic products. In addition, the rapidly aging population, growing skincare concerns, and rising healthcare spending power across the region are expected to increase the revenues in the functional cosmetics segment over time.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Argentina is the emerging Market for Cosmetic Products
- In Argentina, the increasing number of working women and rising consciousness regarding physical appearance among millennials are the key factors driving the market’s growth. In addition, there is an increasing demand for long-lasting and waterproof makeup, sun protection makeup with SPF, and vitamin-enhanced makeup. This, in turn, offers a lucrative opportunity to the key players in the category to innovate in facial makeup products.
- Moreover, the growing awareness about the harmful effect of chemical compounds such as paraben and aluminum in regular cosmetic products is stimulating the growth of natural and organic facial cosmetic products in the country. Therefore, manufacturers are focused on innovating facial cosmetics with natural ingredients. For instance, Aname Vio is an Argentine company that develops an organic cosmetic line, including a facial day cream formulated with natural ingredients such as honey, Jojoba, rosehip, and blueberry.
- On the other hand, the increasing consumer adoption of online shopping further promotes the sales of facial cosmetic products in the e-commerce platform. Following the trend, other manufacturers are trying to offer unique products on various online sales channels, such as Amazon and Sephora to increase their revenue, thus driving the online sales of facial cosmetics products in the market.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
South America Cosmetics Products Industry Overview
South America’s cosmetics products market is majorly dominated by key players such as L’Oreal S.A, Shiseido Co. Ltd, Avon Products Inc., the Estée Lauder Companies Inc., and Oriflame Holding AG. The key strategy adopted by the companies is product innovation. By introducing new and innovative products, companies can differentiate themselves from their competitors and attract new customers. Moreover, they can strengthen their consumer base and gain a competitive edge in the market.
Besides product innovation, companies adopt other competitive strategies, such as mergers and acquisitions. By acquiring or merging with other companies, companies can increase their customer base and expand their geographic reach. This can help them access new markets and gain a foothold in regions where they may not have been present before.
South America Cosmetics Products Market Leaders
Oriflame Cosmetics Global SA.
Shiseido Company, Limited
The Estée Lauder Companies Inc.
Avon Products, Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
South America Cosmetics Products Market News
May 2021: L'Oréal announced the launch of direct-seller catalog sales in Argentina and signed an agreement with Vanesa Duran, a firm based in the province of Córdoba that specializes in the commercialization of catalog jewelry.
March 2021: Estee Lauder partnered with Sephora Brazil to launch its products in stores and online. The company will launch its products: Revitalizing Supreme+, Double Wear, Advanced Night Repair, Pure Color, and Bronze Goddess.
January 2020: Revlon announced the launch of its first-ever mass cosmetic product, PhotoReady Prime Plus Perfecting + Smoothing Primer, which meets the Environmental Working Group's (EWG) industry-leading clean beauty standards in the global market, including South America.
South America Cosmetics Products Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Color Cosmetics
220.127.116.11 Facial Make-Up Products
18.104.22.168 Eye Make-Up Products
22.214.171.124 Lip and Nail Make-up Products
5.1.2 Hair Styling and Coloring Products
126.96.36.199 Hair Colors
188.8.131.52 Hair Styling Products
5.2 Distribution Channel
5.2.2 Convenience Stores
5.2.3 Specialty Stores
5.2.4 Online Stores
5.2.5 Other Distribution Channels
5.3.3 Rest of South America
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Oriflame Cosmetics Global SA.
6.3.2 L'Oreal S.A.
6.3.3 Christian Dior SE
6.3.4 Shiseido Company, Limited
6.3.5 The Estee Lauder Companies Inc.
6.3.6 Natura Brasil
6.3.7 Surya Brasil
6.3.8 Best Bronze
6.3.9 O Boticário
6.3.10 Mary Kay Inc.
6.3.11 Beiersdorf AG
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
South America Cosmetics Products Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The South America Cosmetics Products Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of South America Cosmetics Products Market?
The South America Cosmetics Products Market is growing at a CAGR of 6.8% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in South America Cosmetics Products Market?
L'Oréal S.A., Oriflame Cosmetics Global SA., Shiseido Company, Limited, The Estée Lauder Companies Inc., Avon Products, Inc. are the major companies operating in South America Cosmetics Products Market.
South America Cosmetics Products Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 South America Cosmetics Products market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. South America Cosmetics Products analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.