|Study Period:||2018 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Global Smart Lighting Market was valued at USD 12.72 billion in 2020, and it is expected to reach a value of USD 37.41 billion by 2026, registering a CAGR of approximately 20.26% over the forecast period from 2021 - 2026. Amid the outbreak of COVID-19, the market is witnessing a halt in production and disruption across the supply chain, leading to weakened growth of industrial output and the decline of light-manufacturing output across significant manufacturing hubs.
- In the current market scenario, manufacturers anticipate that the development of smart-lighting products would help them skim additional payments from customers. This would help them decouple the marketing of lighting products from the strong downward price spiral in the conventional LED lighting markets.
- Furthermore, due to its societal benefits, energy-efficient LED technology might be adopted more rapidly by consumers, so the replacement of the inferior compact fluorescent or halogen lighting technologies could thereby be accelerated.
- Despite these expected advantages, the market penetration of smart-lighting products has been relatively low. For example, only 6% of the US consumers and 3.7% of the Austrian consumers used smart-lighting systems in 2015. Sales forecasts are estimated to be worth USD 1.9 billion in residential connected lighting sales across the world in 2026. This is only a small fraction of the current revenues of, for example, the German lighting industry.
- Thus, the benefits of smart-lighting products apparently have only limited appeal to consumers, primarily due to tangible and psychological barriers that impede the individual adoption of these innovative lighting products.
Scope of the Report
Smart/connected lighting is defined as an LED-based system with sensors and controllers that are networked (wired/wireless) and enable the lighting products within the system to communicate with each other and transmit data. The scope of the study includes both smart lamps and luminaries, as well as lighting control systems. The coverage of this study is limited to residential smart lighting solutions. The sales of products to commercials and industrial end users have been excluded from the scope of the study.
|By Product Type|
|Smart Lamps and Fixtures|
|Middle East and Africa|
Key Market Trends
Wi-Fi is Expected to Witness a Significant Growth
- A smart LED lighting system for residential end-use applications can be remotely controlled, and a single handheld device can enable self-learning mode via WiFitransmission. Smart signal processing can be automatically performed on the collected data by either an MCU or an ASIC inside commercial products. Amongst the number of wireless communication modules, WiFi is gaining market traction as it can be integrated into a remote control smart LED lighting system with enhanced efficiency.
- Modern smart lighting systems are based on light-emitting diode (LED) technology and involve advanced drivers with dynamic spectral light reproduction and advanced sensing capabilities. The ultimate feature is additional advanced services serving as the hub for optical communications that allow coexistence with traditional WiFigateways in indoor environments.
- In the diverse digital communication interfaces intended for smart lighting, WiFi is suitable for the programming of predefined areas and spaces. In these systems, generally, the areas are segmented depending on the people or events. This allows the systems to calculate the level of light needed to accurately calculate the levels of illuminance suitable for different tasks of the users with the advantage to calculate the power consumption in real-time.
- The LED bulbs can be controlled from anywhere using a WiFi network and mobile Internet. Features of this system include dimmable lights to remotely turn them on or off. Custom schedules can be defined to control each light individually or as a group in different areas of a house. The system can be turned on automatically at sunset or changed to be dimmable to watch a movie or turn off after the user leaves home.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Witnessed to Hold the Fastest Growing Market
- In recent years, the Asia-Pacific region saw significant growth in the smart lighting market, and over the forecast period, it is expected to have the highest growth. Creating and developing smart infrastructure in the region, scaled establishment of smart lighting framework over the private and commercial sectors, and increasing investments by the government on public infrastructure are increasing the growth of the market in the region.
- GSMA estimates that China may account for approximately 4.1 billion IoT connections, which is almost one-third of the global IoT connections, by 2025. Smart lighting systems are expected to be the biggest beneficiary of the trend, during the forecast period. Technology giants in the country, like Tencent, Baidu, JD, and Alibaba, are introducing their smart system solutions. Majority of the Chinese market share is distributed among these giants. These domestic brands are trendy and are expected to drive the market growth.
- The Indian housing industry is one of the quickest growing sectors of India. Smart City Mission for 100 cities in the country is driving the market for smart lightings. With a new initiative undertaken in Chandigarh, India plans to convert 3,800 street lights into sensor-based intelligent lighting system, under the Smart City Mission. Initiatives like these, taken by other states as well, could drive the market growth during the forecast period.
- The Indian government has launched UJALA program, with a target to distribute 770 million LEDs by March 2019. This program aims to rectify the high cost of electrification and the increased emissions from inefficient lighting in the country, amidst the backdrop of electricity demand witnessing a five-fold increase, over the years.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The Smart Lighting Market is highly competitive and consists of several major players. In terms of market share, few of the major players currently dominate the market. However, with smart lightings, many of the companies are increasing their market presence by securing new contracts and acquiring other companies. Key players are Koninklijke Philips NV, Cree Inc., Eaton Corporation, etc.
- March 2021 - Hubbell Control Solutions launched a new and improved NX Distributed Intelligence™ Lighting Control Panel (NXP2 Series) that centralizes connection points in an enclosure providing an installer-friendly solution that reduces time and costs to deploy code compliant-lighting control. The new NX Panel willsupport various internal and external lighting applications, including commercial, retail, education, industrial, and parking, and site lighting.
- September 2020 - LIFX (Buddy Technologies) launched new Lifx Clean LED in North America. This smart light was the world's first antibacterial, germicidal smart light that works as a disinfectant with different colors and had a voice control feature as well.
- Feburary 2020 - AWOX (Cabasse Group) announced the SmartLight Color GU10. It is a smart health connected LED spot bulb equipped with Bluetooth for connecting wirelessly to a smartphone or tablet, and then one can control its lighting intensity, colors broadcast, etc.
- February 2021 - Signify, the creators of the highly successful Philips Hue line of smart light bulbs, selected Google Cloud as their preferred partner of choice to deliver a seamless digital experience, making it easier than ever for Hue owners to enjoy smart lighting’s full potential. Signify chose Google Cloud to power their smart lighting solution because of its Cloud’s ability to manage millions of connected devices as well as offer true scalability, flexibility, and security.
- July 2020 - UK's lighting industry trade body issued a clarion call for smart lighting to become part of a EUR 750 billion European Union pandemic recovery proposal that includes repairing and renovating buildings across Europe.
- April 2020 - Amid the outbreak of COVID-19, the Chemical industries production affected worldwide, leading to an increase in the prices of smart LED lighting. Lumileds increased prices of LED lights by 4% started from mid-April 2020 and attributed the same as a measure to offset costs it incurred during the coronavirus pandemic.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.2.5 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the Smart Lighting Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increasing Demand for Energy Saving at Homes
5.1.2 Government Regulations Mandating the Use of LEDs
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Lack of Awareness Regarding Selection and Installation of Products
5.3 Market Opportunities
5.3.1 Increasing Adoption of IoT in Emerging Economies
6. WIRELESS CONENCTIVITY STANDARD TYPES USED IN RESIDENTIAL SMART LIGHTING PRODUCTS
7. MARKET SEGMENTATION
7.1 By Product Type
7.1.1 Control System
7.1.2 Smart Lamps and Fixtures
7.2.1 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
7.2.3 Asia Pacific
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia Pacific
7.2.4 Latin America
7.2.5 Middle East and Africa
8. COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE
8.1 Company Profiles*
8.1.1 Control4 Corp.
8.1.2 Lutron Electronics Co. Inc.
8.1.3 Signify Holdings
8.1.4 Wyze Labs Inc.
8.1.5 Sengled Optoelectronics Co. Ltd
8.1.6 General Electric Company
8.1.7 IKEA Systems BV
8.1.8 Acuity Brands Inc.
8.1.9 Hubbell Inc.
8.1.10 Crestron Electronics Inc.
8.1.11 Insteon (Smartlabs Inc.)
8.1.12 Awox SA
8.1.13 Eve Systems GmbH
8.1.14 LG Electronics
8.1.15 Wiz Connected Lighting Co. Ltd
8.1.16 Wipro Lighting Limited
8.1.17 Xiaomi Corporation
8.1.18 LIFX(BUDDY TECHNOLOGIES)
9. VENDOR MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS FOR CONTROL SYSTEMS - 2020
10. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
11. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Smart Lighting Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Smart Lighting Market?
The Smart Lighting Market is growing at a CAGR of 20.26% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Smart Lighting Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Smart Lighting Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Smart Lighting Market?
Sengled Optoelectronics Co., Ltd, IKEA Systems BV , Acuity brands Inc., Hubbell Inc., GE Current- are the major companies operating in Smart Lighting Market.