Semiconductor Etch Equipment Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Market Size (2023)||USD 23.65 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 29.36 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||4.42 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia-Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Semiconductor Etch Equipment Market Analysis
The Semiconductor Etch Equipment Market size is estimated at USD 23.65 billion in 2023, and is expected to reach USD 29.36 billion by 2028, growing at a CAGR of 4.42% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
- Etching is one of the vital processes in a semiconductor fabrication cycle. This process eliminates the material from the surface of the semiconductor to generate patterns based on its applications. The growth of the semiconductor etch equipment market is highly dependent on the development of the semiconductor wafer deposition and wafer processing industry.
- As per Lam Research, there is a strong demand for etch and other fab equipment owing to several factors, the first being the strengthening of secular tailwinds such as AI, 5G, and IoT. Also, the complexity of manufacturing advanced semiconductor devices continues to increase at a rapid rate, as per the organization, leading to a rise in equipment capacity across all market segments.
- Many major players are investing in the expansion of their fabrication plants. In February 2022, Bosch disclosed its intention to increase the size of its wafer production facility in Reutlingen, Germany. It plans to spend more than EUR 250 million (USD 278.2 million) by 2025 to build expanded production space and the necessary clean-room amenities. Such expansion plans are fueling the growth of the semiconductor etching equipment market.
- However, semiconductors are a widely traded commodity with a complicated manufacturing supply chain. Overly complex customs and trade procedures, requirements, and practices can dramatically disrupt semiconductor supply chains, causing costly barriers that harm businesses and consumers.
- Owing to the outbreak of COVID-19, the industry was riddled with a high deficit and increasing demand, which has led to a significant supply chain gap. The initial spread of the virus led to the shutting down or the reduction of foundry capacity utilization, fearing the decreasing demand for the chips across major sectors, like automotive. The diminished output led to a global shortage of semiconductors as the demand increased despite the initial estimates by semiconductor foundries.
Semiconductor Etch Equipment Market Trends
Conductor Etching to Hold the Largest Market Share
- Conductor etching equipment is used widely to shape the electrically activated materials used in different parts of the semiconductor device. Even a minimal variation in these small semiconductor structures can lead to an electrical fault impacting the device's performance.
- The increasing demand for miniaturization of semiconductor circuits is anticipated to catalyze the ever-increasing demand for different types of conductor etching equipment, along with the need for high production of multi-film stacks with a minor fault during the forecasted period.
- Conductor etching helps in shaping the electrically active materials of a semiconductor device. The presence of even a slight variation in these miniature structures can degrade device performance. Moreover, with the growing demand for DRAM chips, many players have introduced conductor etch systems for the volume production of advanced DRAMs.
- For instance, Centris Sym3 Y is one of the most advanced conductor etch systems by Applied Materials and is tailored to critical conductor etch applications in 3D NAND, DRAM, and foundry-logic nodes. It enables chipmakers to precisely pattern and shape ever-smaller features in state-of-the-art memory and logic chips.
- Moreover, the growth of usage of conductor etching in Metal Insulator Metal (MIM) capacitors also acts as an opportunity factor for Conductor Etching. MIM capacitors are important components for energy storage, signal filtering, and high-frequency tuning applications.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Witness Significant Growth
- The Asia-Pacific region has the most prominent share of global semiconductor foundries, with major companies such as TSMC, Samsung Electronics, etc. Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, and China have a significant market share in the region.
- According to a survey conducted by the Semiconductor Industry Association in July 2021, China mastered several chip technologies, and its commercial semiconductor industry is still relatively young. Still, the Chinese government is trying to close the gap, investing more than USD 150 billion in semiconductors between 2014 and 2030. Supported by booming markets and these government investments, China is poised to become increasingly competitive in some semiconductor market segments.
- Moreover, as per a report by CNBC in December 2022, China is working on a more than CNY 1 trillion (USD 143 billion) support package for its semiconductor industry, in a major step toward self-sufficiency in chips and to counter the United States moves aimed at slowing its technological advances. Beijing has planned to roll out what is expected to be one of its most significant fiscal incentive packages, allocated over five years, mainly as subsidies and tax credits to strengthen semiconductor production and research activities at home.
- Also, Japan's government is offering financial aid to encourage foreign chip makers to build plants in Japan, which is creating a positive growth outlook for the market. For instance, in June 2022, Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) announced plans to offer subsidies worth up to JPY 476 billion (USD 3.5 billion) for a semiconductor plant being built in Kumamoto Prefecture by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC), Sony Group and Denso. Total investment in the plant was expected to reach around USD 8.6 billion, with Japan's government supporting about 40% of the costs.
- A similar trend has also been observed across other countries in the region. For instance, in February 2022, Lam Research, a US semiconductor equipment company, manufactured next-generation core equipment for semiconductor manufacturing in South Korea. These highly selective etching devices support Gate All Around (GAA) and 3D stacking technology. The new equipment is expected to play an important role in developing Samsung Electronics' next-generation memory and system semiconductors.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Semiconductor Etch Equipment Industry Overview
The Semiconductor Etch Equipment Market is moderately competitive owing to the presence of some established players. The brand identity associated with the companies has a major influence in this market. As the barrier for the new entrants is high in the market due to the high capital incorporated, major players are adopting mergers and acquisition strategies to gain more market share. Some major players operating in the market include Applied Materials Inc., Hitachi High Technologies America, Inc., Lam Research Corporation, and Tokyo Electron Limited.
In June 2022, AlixLab developed a new, innovative method for manufacturing semiconductor components with a high degree of packing, eliminating several steps in the manufacturing process - Atomic Layer Etch Pitch Splitting (APS). According to the company, the method makes the components cheaper and less resource-intensive. The company also announced the completion of the Atomic Layer Etch (ALE) equipment hook-up in its clean room at ProNano RISE in Lund, Sweden.
In February 2022, Lam Research Corp. announced a new suite of selective etch products that apply breakthrough wafer fabrication techniques and novel chemistries to support chipmakers in developing gate-all-around (GAA) transistor structures. Composed of three new products, Argos, Prevos, and Selis, the company's selective etch portfolio provides a powerful advantage in the design and manufacture of advanced logic and memory semiconductor solutions.
Semiconductor Etch Equipment Market Leaders
Applied Materials Inc.
Hitachi High Technologies America, Inc.
Lam Research Corporation
Tokyo Electron Limited
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Semiconductor Etch Equipment Market News
- Apr 2023: Hitachi High-Tech Corporation announced that it would construct a new production facility in the Kasado Area of Kudamatsu City, Yamaguchi Prefecture, with an aim to increase the production capacity of etching systems for its semiconductor manufacturing equipment business, with production scheduled to begin in FY2025.
- Dec 2022: Applied Materials announced its intention to make significant investments in its innovation infrastructure in the United States and expand its global manufacturing capacity up to 2030. These investments are expected to enhance customer collaboration for accelerating improvements in semiconductor performance, power, and cost, besides enabling the company to increase equipment manufacturing capacity.
Semiconductor Etch Equipment Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increase in Capital Spending on Semiconductor Processing
5.1.2 Rapid Technological Advances and Transition
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Trade Uncertainties and Semiconductor Memory Markets
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Product Type
6.1.1 High-density Etch Equipment
6.1.2 Low-density Etch Equipment
6.2 By Etching Film Type
6.2.1 Conductor Etching
6.2.2 Dielectric Etching
6.2.3 Polysilicon Etching
6.3 By Application
6.3.4 Power Devices
6.4 By Geography
6.4.1 North America
6.4.4 Rest of the World
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Applied Materials Inc.
7.1.2 Hitachi High Technologies America, Inc.
7.1.3 Lam Research Corporation
7.1.4 Tokyo Electron Limited
7.1.5 Plasma-Therm LLC
7.1.6 Panasonic Corporation
7.1.7 SPTS Technologies Limited (Orbotech)
7.1.8 Suzhou Delphi Laser Co., Ltd
7.1.9 ULVAC Inc.
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Semiconductor Etch Equipment Market Research FAQs
How big is the Semiconductor Etch Equipment Market?
The Semiconductor Etch Equipment Market size is expected to reach USD 23.65 billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 4.42% to reach USD 29.36 billion by 2028.
What is the current Semiconductor Etch Equipment Market size?
In 2023, the Semiconductor Etch Equipment Market size is expected to reach USD 23.65 billion.
Who are the key players in Semiconductor Etch Equipment Market?
Applied Materials Inc., Hitachi High Technologies America, Inc., Lam Research Corporation, Tokyo Electron Limited and Plasma-Therm LLC are the major companies operating in the Semiconductor Etch Equipment Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Semiconductor Etch Equipment Market?
Asia-Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Semiconductor Etch Equipment Market?
In 2023, the Asia-Pacific accounts for the largest market share in the Semiconductor Etch Equipment Market.
Semiconductor Etch Equipment Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Semiconductor Etch Equipment market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Semiconductor Etch Equipment analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.