|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
· The global seed market is expected to witness a CAGR of 6.2% over the forecast period (2021-2026).
· The COVID-19 pandemic seriously affected the production, certification, distribution, and cost of seeds in the initial months of the pandemic. Facing this adversity played a fundamental role in developing resilient agricultural sectors and food systems in the least developed countries. There was a shortage of personnel available for the production, transportation, and documentation processes, accompanied by a contraction in the market for plants and seeds. This created problems in producing seeds for international trade and made access to high-quality seeds of modern varieties for domestic agriculture difficult.
· Growing demand for grains, oils, and vegetables, rapid adoption of biotech crops, and the decreasing per capita farmland are the major drivers for the market. The need to produce more from the decreasing per capita arable land to get higher returns can be possible with HYVs and hybrid varieties. This trend has encouraged farmers to shift their focus from conventional seed sources to packaged seeds that promise better returns.
· Hybrid seeds exhibit a higher demand, owing to their built-in genetic buffering to withstand the biotic and abiotic stresses (such as moisture stress and salinity) compared to varietal seeds in the market.
· In 2020, North America was the largest geographical segment of the market studied. The growing demand for grains, oils, and vegetables is a significant driver for the seeds market. The United States is the major market for seeds in the region. Asia-Pacific is the fastest-growing and second-largest market for seeds. In Asia, the demand for food has increased exponentially over the past years. Crop yield enhancement has become a necessity to meet this demand, thus boosting the market studied.
· As demonstrated by Bayer CropScience, Corteva AgriScience, and Syngenta, the leading seed companies dominate the market by emphasizing the production of seeds that are drought tolerant, heat tolerant, disease tolerant, etc.
Scope of the Report
A seed is the ripened fertilized ovule of a flowering plant containing an embryo and capable normally of germination to produce a new plant. For the purpose of this report, seeds have been defined as the seeds for sowing at the farmer level. In this report market sizing has been considered at the farmer level.
The report provides an in-depth analysis of various parameters of the seed market. The market has been segmented based on products into transgenic hybrids, non-transgenic hybrids, and open-pollinated varieties. By crop type, the market has been segmented into grains and cereals, pulses and oilseeds, commercial crops, fruits and vegetables, and other crop types. The report further segments the market by geography into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, and Africa.
|Grains and Cereals|
|Pulses and Oilseeds|
|Fruits and Vegetables|
|Other Crop Types|
Key Market Trends
Need for Improving Productivity amid growing Demand for Food Crops
Grains constitute a major portion of world food demand (49%) and will remain so till 2050. According to an OECD-FAO report, global cereal consumption is projected to increase from 2.6 billion metric ton in 2018 to 2.9 billion metric ton in 2027. This is attributed to the growing demand for cereals for food and feed purposes. The per capita food consumption of cereals is anticipated to increase at a faster pace compared to the previous decade, as higher per capita use of maize, rice, and other coarse grains is only partly offset by the slower growth of wheat.
Across major agricultural countries, such as the United States, China, India, and Brazil, farmers are increasingly adopting transgenic seeds for both yield benefits and other non-yield traits. For instance, 92% of India's area under cotton production was sown with transgenic cotton with insect-tolerance traits. Thus, to meet the increasing demand for grains, oils, and vegetables, governments of various countries have been promoting sustainable farming practices, thereby bolstering the adoption of commercial seeds over the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific is the Fastest Growing Region
Asia-Pacific dominated the global seed market as it houses the two major agricultural countries, India and China. Asia-Pacific is also the fastest-growing geographical segment in the global seed market. The region is witnessing increased hybrid adoption and rising seed replacement rates in key crops such as rice, maize, and vegetables. Growth prospects remain high for hybrid rice in the region. China is one of the major rice producers globally. In recent years, it started exporting rice seeds to other countries. For instance, in 2020, it exported a total of 500 metric ton of hybrid rice seeds from a seed company in east China’s Jiangsu province to Pakistan to help ensure Pakistan’s grain yield. It is estimated that about 33,333 hectare of land will be planted with those seeds.
On one hand, increasing demand for animal feed has been the major driver for the growth of the maize segment of the market in the region. On the other hand, increasing demand for processed vegetables in domestic households and the foodservice industry boosts the vegetable seed industry.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The global seed market is a consolidated market. The major players in the market are Bayer Crop Science SE, Syngenta International AG, Corteva AgriScience, Groupe Limagrain, and KWS SAAT SE & Co. KGaA, among others. These players focus on R&D, a large product portfolio, a wide geographical presence, an aggressive acquisition strategy.
The key players in the market are aggressively expanding their presence in terms of geography and product portfolio. For instance, in addition to the agreement signed in October 2017, BASF has signed an agreement in 2018 to purchase further businesses and assets, which Bayer offered to divest in the context of its planned acquisition of Monsanto. The expanded scope includes Bayer’s entire vegetable seeds business under the global trademark Nunhems.
In August 2020, Syngenta Seeds completed the acquisition of Sensako, a South African seed company specializing in cereals.
In addition to the agreement signed in October 2017, BASF has signed an agreement in 2018 to purchase further businesses and assets, which Bayer offered to divest in the context of its planned acquisition of Monsanto. The expanded scope includes Bayer’s entire vegetable seeds business under the global trademark Nunhems.
Furthermore, Bayer unveiled four new varieties of Seminis® vegetable seeds during the Pragathi Diwas event held in Bengaluru, India in January 2021. These varieties include ‘Anshuman’ in tomato, ‘SVHA9093’ in hot pepper, ‘Bazlet’ in cucumber, and ‘Himgauri’ in cauliflower. These varieties will be commercially launched in 2021.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.3 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Transgenic Hybrids
5.1.2 Non-transgenic Hybrids
5.1.3 Open-pollinated Varieties
5.2.1 Grains and Cereals
5.2.2 Pulses and Oilseeds
5.2.3 Commercial Crops
5.2.4 Fruits and Vegetables
5.2.5 Other Crop Types
5.3.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 Rest of North America
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 South America
220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Bayer CropScience SE
6.3.2 Syngenta International AG
6.3.3 Corteva Agriscience
6.3.4 Groupe Limagrain
6.3.5 KWS SAAT SE & Co. KGaA
6.3.6 UPL Limited
6.3.7 BASF SE
6.3.8 Land O'Lakes, Inc.
6.3.9 Sakata Seed
6.3.10 Takii Seed
6.3.11 East-West Seed International
6.3.12 Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V.
6.3.13 DLF Seeds And Science
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
8. IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Global Seed Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Global Seed Market?
The Global Seed Market is growing at a CAGR of 6.2% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Global Seed Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Global Seed Market?
North America holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Global Seed Market?
Corteva Agriscience, Bayer Crop Science, KWS SAAT SE & Co. KGaA, Groupe Limagrain, Syngenta AG are the major companies operating in Global Seed Market.