Molded Pulp Packaging Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Molded Pulp Packaging Market Analysis
The molded pulp packaging market is expected to reach USD 5,661.23 million in five years, registering a CAGR of 5.98%. Molded pulp packaging is mainly adopted for its efficient and better recycling systems and creates an increasing demand for customized packaging sizes.
- Rapidly growing demand for convenient and sustainable packaging alternatives, ongoing development of molded fiber products that are more competitive as a plastic alternative, and increasing orders from electronics, food packaging, and healthcare sectors are some of the primary drivers of the market studied.
- As end-user industries such as consumer electronics are witnessing high demand, sustainable packaging products are increasingly being used as a protective layer for transporting, as they provide protection and avoid damage to the environment.
- Molded pulp packaging offers considerable cost savings that can help corporate sustainability goals. The cost of molded pulp packing is kept low using inexpensive and reliable raw materials. As most of the plastic and foam packaging is made from petroleum, the price fluctuates according to changes in oil prices. Natural fibers and post-consumer paper products are used to make molded pulp packaging, which is widely available and affordable.
- Total fiber availability is a concern in the paper industry. Imports increased to 3 million tons, and governments of several countries have adopted import laws and restrictions and increased tariffs and excise levies. Due to a recent container shortage, international liners have raised their prices. The rate for transporting waste papers in a 40-foot container has increased from USD 2,800 to USD 3,600. It was formerly under USD 1,600-1,800.
- The COVID-19 pandemic significantly impacted the supply chain for molded pulp packages and helped the market grow with increasing demand from some end-user industries. The amount of online shopping by consumers increased significantly as a result of forced lockdowns and cautionary attitudes. Thus, this trend resulted in an increased demand for cardboard boxes.
Molded Pulp Packaging Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Molded Pulp Packaging Market according to our research experts:
Growing Consumer Preference Toward Recyclable and Eco-friendly Materials
- Climate change has become a global issue over the past few years. Sustainability for businesses has also become a significant concern globally. Waste produced from food, beverage, and consumer product packaging is one of the critical elements of sustainability when it comes to environmental protection. Consumers now prioritize eco-friendly packaging.
- Consumers have recently grown more aware of the environmental consequences of high quantities of plastic trash, particularly single-use plastic waste. Increased demand for biodegradable items made from the byproducts of existing products is a result of a conscientious movement encouraging people to shift away from plastic consumption.
- Waste creation is expected to rise from 2.01 billion tons in 2016 to 3.40 billion tons in 2050, according to World Bank forecasts. At least 33% of this trash is mishandled worldwide through open dumping or burning.
- The waste mix varies by socioeconomic level, reflecting different consumption patterns. High-income countries produce less food and green waste, accounting for 32% of destruction, and more dry trash that may be recycled, such as plastic, paper, cardboard, metal, and glass, for 51% of complete garbage.
- Increased environmental laws worldwide are expected to drive the demand for molded pulp over the forecast period. As environmental rules become more stringent, demand for molded pulp packaging made from recycled materials and biodegradable is expected to rise.
Asia-Pacific to Witness Significant Growth
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to grow significantly over the forecast period. The disposable foodservice industry, which demands virgin pulp for manufacturing packaging products, such as trays, cups, and clamshells that come in close contact with food items, has been experiencing substantial growth in the region over the last few years.
- The region is also home to molded pulp and molded fiber product suppliers worldwide. For instance, in China, Qingdao Xinya Molded Pulp Packaging Co. Ltd is a global supplier of products such as bottle wine carriers, which have a high number of buyers worldwide.
- China is witnessing a significant demand for molded pulp packaged products from end users, such as food packaging, foodservice, FMCG, healthcare, and electronics industries, which may further drive the molded pulp packaging market.
- The growing urban population, the development of the e-commerce package industry, and improving population awareness about eco-friendly packaging are expected to propel China's paper packaging market.
- According to the estimates from the India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), the e-commerce market in India is expected to reach a value of USD 200 billion over the next few years. Such statistics indicate a rise in the demand for electronic appliances, which may drive the need for trays and clamshells made using molded pulp for electronics packing.
Molded Pulp Packaging Industry Overview
The molded pulp packaging market is fragmented due to the presence of several domestic and global players. The companies mainly offer customized solutions as per customers' requirements. Major players use various strategies, such as product launches, agreements, and acquisitions, to increase their footprints in the market. The key players in the market are Maspack Ltd, EnviroPAK Corporation, etc.
- APR 2022 - Sabert Corporation opened a 389,400 sq ft distribution center in the greater Chicago area, helping the company offer its products to its expanding customer base in the Midwest US and western Canada. The new location also centralizes the distribution point for three of Sabert's manufacturing facilities in Indiana, Illinois, and Kentucky, all within 300 miles of this unique distribution point. Many of Sabert's customers across the Midwest and Canada may see improved shipping cycles and other benefits.
- MAY 2022 - Mars, with SABIC and Huhtamaki, introduced recycled content into pet food packaging to support a circular economy. In 2021, Mars, working with SABIC and Huhtamaki, planned to include food-grade recycled plastic in the packaging of pet food brands. This important step may help accelerate the company's progress toward achieving 30% recycled content and 25% less virgin plastic by 2025.
Molded Pulp Packaging Market Leaders
Brodrene Hartmann AS
UFP Technologies Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Molded Pulp Packaging Market News
- SEP 2022 - The Huhtamaki Foundation inaugurated its first recycling plant in Maharashtra, India, to help drive circularity for packaging. The site, which is spread across 2,000 sqm, will recycle about 1,600 kg of post-consumer used flexible plastic waste per day from early May when the plant becomes fully operational.
- JUN 2022 - Keiding Inc. announced the opening of its second location in Menomonee Falls. According to the company's new release, the new plant is expected to create 20 jobs at a facility spanning 58,000 sq ft.
Molded Pulp Packaging Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Regulations and Standards
4.4 Industry Ecosystem Analysis
4.5 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Consumer Preference Toward Recyclable and Eco-friendly Materials
5.1.2 Better Benefit of Cost Saving Compared to Plastic and EPS Packaging
5.2 Market Challenges/Restraints
5.2.1 Stringent Government Rules and Regulations
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Fiber Type
6.1.1 Recycled Fiber
6.1.2 Virgin Fiber
6.2 By Product Type
6.2.2 Bowls and Cups
6.2.5 Other Product Types
6.3 By End User
6.3.1 Food Packaging
6.3.3 Consumer Electronics
6.3.5 Other End Users
6.4 By Geography
6.4.1 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
6.4.4 Rest of the World
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Maspack Ltd
7.1.2 Enviropak Corporation
7.1.3 Brodrene Hartmann AS
7.1.4 Huhtamaki Oyj
7.1.5 Primeware Solutions (Amercare Royal)
7.1.6 UFP Technologies Inc.
7.1.7 Henry Molded Products Inc.
7.1.8 Keiding Inc.
7.1.9 Sabert Corporation
7.1.10 Pacific Pulp Molding Inc.
7.1.11 Protopak Engineering Corporation
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Molded Pulp Packaging Market Research FAQs
What is the current Molded Pulp Packaging Market size?
The Molded Pulp Packaging Market is projected to register a CAGR of 5.98% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in Molded Pulp Packaging Market?
Maspack Ltd, EnviroPAK Corporation, Huhtamaki Oyj, Brodrene Hartmann AS and UFP Technologies Inc. are the major companies operating in the Molded Pulp Packaging Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Molded Pulp Packaging Market?
Asia-Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in Molded Pulp Packaging Market?
In 2024, the Asia-Pacific accounts for the largest market share in Molded Pulp Packaging Market.
What years does this Molded Pulp Packaging Market cover?
The report covers the Molded Pulp Packaging Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Molded Pulp Packaging Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Molded Pulp Packaging Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Molded Pulp Packaging market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Molded Pulp Packaging analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.