|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Rare Earth Elements (REE) market is projected to register a CAGR of 7.5% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
COVID-19 impact has negatively affected most of the manufacturing sectors in the market. The consumer electronics industry is one of the industries affected negatively due to the COVID-19 impact. However, there was a huge demand for consumer electronics due to the need for communication because of the lockdown and social distancing. Shut down of manufacturing plants and intermittent closure of physical stores in most parts of the world have created disturbances in the supply of consumer electronics. The aforementioned reasons negatively affected the rare earth magnets market.
- In the medium term, the major factors driving the growth of the market studied are the high demand from emerging economies, the dependency of 'Green Technology' on rare earth elements, and companies focusing on R&D.
- On the flip side, the inconsistent supply and impact of COVID-19 are some concerns affecting the growth of the studied market.
- The increasing scandium usage in aerospace applications is likely to provide opportunities for the studied market during the forecast period.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the global market, owing to the increasing production of rare earth metals and rising demand from industries, such as consumer electronics, etc.
Scope of the Report
Rare earth elements are used in loudspeakers, telescope lenses, studio lighting, and computer hard drives to enable them to be smaller and more efficient. They are used in screens and displays as they can produce different colors. Rare earth elements usually have high electrical conductivity, and they naturally occur together in minerals. Rare earth elements are the strongest magnets available today. The rare earth elements market is segmented by elements, applications, and geography. By element, the market is segmented into cerium, neodymium, lanthanum, dysprosium, terbium, yttrium, scandium, and other elements. By application, the market is segmented into catalysts, ceramics, phosphors, glass and polishing, metallurgy, magnets, and other applications. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the rare earth elements market in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done based on revenue (USD million).
|Glass and Polishing|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand for Magnets
- Magnets stand to be one of the largest applications for rare earth elements. Magnets find extensive applications in various industries, such as electronics, automotive, power generation, medical, etc.
- Magnets are used in computer hard drives, microwave power tubes, anti-lock brakes, automotive parts, disk drive motors, frictionless bearings, power generation, magnetic refrigeration, microphones and speakers, communication systems, and MRI.
- Industries, such as automotive, electronics, and healthcare, have been witnessing innovation and development, driving the demand for magnets in such industries.
- According to Statista Market Forecast, the consumer electronics industry stood at USD 384 billion in 2020. The market is expected to reach around USD 415 billion in 2021 and is forecasted to reach USD 487 billion in 2025.
- Additionally, magnets are used in medical equipment, such as MRI machines, pacemakers, sleep apnea machines, and insulin pumps. The healthcare industry has been witnessing huge investments in the regions such as Asia-Pacific and Middle East & Africa.
- The United States is the largest medical device market in the world. By 2023, the industry is expected to reach USD 208 Billion. By 2030, the US medical devices market is projected to cross over USD 300 billion, while China is likely to grow at the fastest pace and likely to account for more than 25% (over USD 200 billion) of the global medical device market.
- Hence, all such trends are expected to noticeably drive the demand for magnets, which is further projected to increase the demand for rare earth elements in the coming years.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the global market share. With increasing investments in the healthcare industry and the rising ceramic demand and production, the consumption of rare earth elements is projected to increase noticeably in the region.
- According to OICA, the total number of motor vehicles produced in 2019 in China and India are 25.75 million units and 4.52 million units, respectively. However, in 2020, this value in production declined by around 2% and 25%, respectively. This decline in production was majorly due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- In addition, India is witnessing investments in the automotive industry. For instance, Hyundai Motor India invested USD 500 million during FY2020.
- At present, around 85% of the world's supply of these high-value rare earth elements originates from China, making the global rare earth elements market supply sensitive to changes in China’s manufacturing sector.
- China has the world’s largest electronics production base. The country serves not only domestic demand for electronics but also exports electronic output to other countries. With an increase in the disposable income of the middle-class population in the country and increasing demand for electronic products in the countries importing electronic products from China, the production of electronics is projected to grow.
- China has the largest consumer electronics market in the world, with a valuation of around `USD 152.7 billion in 2020. The country is projected to cross a valuation of USD 162 billion in 2021, and the segment is forecasted to reach 175 billion by 2025.
- Furthermore, the demand for and production of ceramics is the highest in Asia-Pacific. The increasing ceramic demand from industries, such as aerospace and defense, energy, healthcare, and consumer goods, is driving the production of ceramics in the region.
- Hence, such market trends are likely to significantly impact on the rare earth elements market in the coming years.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The rare earth elements market is fragmented in nature, with numerous players holding insignificant shares to affect the market dynamics individually. Some noticeable players in the market include Avalon Advanced Materials Inc., Rare Element Resources Ltd, Eutectix, Shin-Etsu Chemical Co. Ltd, and Iluka Resources Limited.
- In February 2021, Avalon Advanced Materials has announced that the company entered an agreement to acquire 2333382 Ontario INC., a private Ontario corporation with four industrial mineral mines and a processing plant in Matheson, Ontario. The companies have analyzed that the presence of rare earth, scandium, and zirconium will be recoverable through tailing processes in the Ontario INC plants.
- In January 2021, Rio Tinto started producing scandium oxide with the construction of a commercial-scale demonstration plant in Sorel-Tracy, Quebec. The initial capacity of the scandium oxide is 3 ton per year, about 20% of the current global production.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 High Demand from Emerging Economies
4.1.2 Dependency of 'Green Technology' on Rare Earth Elements
4.1.3 Companies Focusing on R&D
4.2.1 Unfavorable Conditions Arising due to the Impact of COVID-19
4.2.2 Inconsistent Supply of Rareearth Elements
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
188.8.131.52 Other Elements
184.108.40.206 Carbonate and Others
5.1.8 Other Elements
5.2.4 Glass and Polishing
5.2.7 Other Applications
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
184.108.40.206 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd
6.4.2 ARAFURA RESOURCES
6.4.3 Avalon Advanced Materials Inc.
6.4.4 Minmetals Land Limited
6.4.5 China Nonferrous Metal Industry's Foreign Engineering and Construction Co. Ltd
6.4.6 Caeneus Minerals Ltd
6.4.8 Galaxy Resources Limited
6.4.9 Iluka Resources Limited
6.4.10 International Ferro Metals Limited
6.4.11 MEDALLION RESOURCES LTD
6.4.12 NORTHERN MINERALS
6.4.13 Peak Resources
6.4.14 Rare Element Resources Ltd
6.4.15 Rio Tinto
6.4.16 Rising Nonferrous Metals Co. Ltd
6.4.17 Shin-Etsu Chemical Co. Ltd
6.4.18 Ucore Rare Metals Inc.
6.4.19 Xiamen Tungsten Co. Ltd
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Increasing Scandium Usage in Aerospace Applications
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Rare Earth Elements Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Rare Earth Elements Market?
The Rare Earth Elements Market is growing at a CAGR of >7.5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Rare Earth Elements Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Rare Earth Elements Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Rare Earth Elements Market?
Avalon Advanced Materials Inc, Rare Element Resources Ltd. , Eutectix , Iluka Resources Limited , Shin-Etsu Chemical Co., Ltd. are the major companies operating in Rare Earth Elements Market.