Protective Relay Market Size
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Protective Relay Market Analysis
The protective relay market is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 5.98% throughout the forecast period. As more investment is being poured into infrastructure projects in many parts of the world, energy usage is rising, and smart grid technologies are becoming more and more popular in managing energy use. This, in turn, will increase the demand for protective relays as these are frequently utilized in parallel systems to reduce the danger of harm because of system failure.
- Approximately 44% of unintentional electrical deaths happened in construction and extraction operations in May 2022, and 20% of the deaths throughout installation, maintenance, and repair work were recorded in 2020, according to a National Fire Protection Association study. This suggests the need for protective power circuit solutions, such as protective relays, in commercial settings as well as in homes and workplaces to lessen the risk of electric exposure brought on by over-current, under-frequency, over-voltage, and other electrical problems.
- Increasing electricity demand worldwide due to numerous factors, including infrastructural development, is anticipated to increase the demand for safety equipment, including protective relays, over the coming years. For instance, after a 6% spike last year, global power demand is predicted to increase by 2.4% in 2022, matching its average increase rate for the five years preceding the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Furthermore, the expansion of the renewable energy industry is expected to attract new infrastructure investments that would increase demand for protective relays because of the growing environmental concerns surrounding the depletion of conventional energy sources.
- The unprecedented coronavirus outbreak has significantly impacted the world's power infrastructure, halting several investments and developing vital renewable electricity technologies. Owing to the execution of severe lockdown measures, the pandemic has also significantly hampered commerce, travel, and industrial activity. This has prevented the introduction of protective relays in line and network infrastructural advancements.
- Notwithstanding the ongoing pandemic in several nations, the energy demand has significantly recovered due to strong attention to capacity development, commercial power, and other positive developments in the power industry, which has boosted the demand for protective relays and is expected to increase over the coming years. However, throughout the projected period, the market would have bottlenecks because of high installation costs and maintenance costs.
Protective Relay Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Protective Relay Market according to our research experts:
Renewable Energy is expected to Increase the Demand the Use of Protective Relays
- The increasing need for solar power, along with the expanded installation and upgrade of the smart grid, is the primary driver of demand for protective relays over the forecast period. A smart grid uses Protective Relaying Devices (PRD) at various operational layers and in a variety of applications so that it may automatically prevent or reduce power outages, power condition issues, and service interruptions. They are built so that the supply to end consumers is not interrupted if one network component fails.
- Because it is environmentally benign, eco-green, and mostly because it is sustainable, renewable energy (RE) has been selected as an alternative power source. Solar energy is one type of renewable energy with a significant potential to improve energy security and partially fulfill global power demand.
- One main reason for the market's expansion is the combination of rapid industrialization and the rising demand for sustainable energy resources from the power industry. In order to prevent or lessen power outages, the growing use of renewable electricity resources has raised product usage at various operational stages in the smart grid network. Additionally, the expansion of power substation buildings throughout the world bolsters market expansion.
- Data from the Power Ministry show that India's power consumption increased by 13.6% annually to 132.98 billion units (BU) in April 2022, pushed along by a significant increase in thermal generation. The protective relay sector is anticipated to gain pace in the coming years because of the rising demand for energy from renewable resources and the easing of coronavirus regulations.
- According to International Energy Agency (IEA), World renewable electricity generation is anticipated to increase by more than 60% from 2020 values to about 4 800 GW by 2026, which is equal to the present total worldwide capacity of nuclear and conventional fuels put together. Through 2026, the expansion in the world's electricity capacity is expected to come from renewable sources, virtually exclusively from solar PV will provide more than half. Thus, the increasing adoption of renewable energy sources will likely contribute to market growth over the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Witness the Fastest Growth
- The Asia-Pacific region is driven by two densely populated countries, India and China. The essential factor supporting the need for the protective relay market is the acceleration of the demand for energy in the countries, particularly in China, Japan, and India, where the rising population has spurred the demand for domestic infrastructure and power consumption. For instance, according to United Nations, India will become the most populated country in the coming years, with a population of 1.5 billion by 2030 and 1.66 billion by 2050.
- Furthermore, India's installed renewable power capacity (including hydro) was 161.28 GW as of July 2022, making up 39.91% of the nation's total operational power capacity. By 2030, the country intends to have built 450 Gigawatts (GW) of renewable energy, of which 280 GW (more than 60%) will be solar. Thus, increasing demand for renewable energy in the country is expected to contribute to market growth over the forecast period.
- In addition, India is home to 18% of the world's population yet consumes just 6% of its primary energy, reported to NITI Aayog. Since 2000, India's energy consumption has nearly quadrupled, and there is huge room for additional rapid expansion. Urbanization will be a significant trend that will diverge from this one, which will benefit the market for protective relays.
- China is the world leader in renewable power installations as of 2021. The capacity of all renewable energy sources in the nation increased by almost 13.4% from the year before to 1020.2 GW in 2021. The primary renewable energy resources in the country are solar energy, hydropower, and wind energy.
- Growth in infrastructural investment in the Asia Pacific region will increase power consumption in several developed and emerging economies, which is expected to contribute to market growth. For instance, in May 2022, In order to support initiatives in the Indo-Pacific area, Japan, India, the United States, and Australia intend to contribute at least USD 50 billion in infrastructural developments in the Asia-Pacific region during the next five years.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Protective Relay Industry Overview
The protective relay market is highly competitive and fragmented. Some of the prominent players in the protective relay market include ABB Ltd, Siemens AG, Toshiba Corporation, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, and Schneider Electric, amongst others. Product launches, high expenses on research and development, partnerships and acquisitions, etc., are the prime growth strategies adopted by these companies to sustain the intense competition.
- February 2022 - Schneider Electric added the newest generation thermal tracking technology to its EasyPact EXE vacuum circuit buster series, which links building infrastructures, big corporate buildings, and industrial units to the energy grid. In order to provide facility managers, panel builders, and original equipment producers with a simpler, more environmentally friendly, and secure client experience, the innovative product adds IoT sensors.
- May 2021 - ABB introduced a new member of the Relion product family that is intended to provide safe, intelligent, and environmentally friendly electrification. The REX610 is intended to simplify basic energy transmission applications' safety and control.
Protective Relay Market Leaders
Schneider Electric SE
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Protective Relay Market News
- November 2021 - Siemens Smart Infrastructure released a new selection application for protective equipment as a component of its energy management and protection service range. Users can easily choose a protective heritage device or third-party hardware for a new device or retrofit service using the Easy Relay Retrofit Selector Application. The app supports all verticals with installed security systems.
- July 2021 - Relay Explorer RXplore updated its mobile application, according to ABB. Operators and site engineers utilize this updated version to increase efficiency at the site and during protective relay maintenance, as well as to make it easier to operate. With the help of this software, users may securely connect to the internet of ABB control relays, surveillance devices, and diagnostic tools.
- June 2021 - Toshiba announced the release of the GRW200, an innovative numerical feeder differential protective relay for direct fiber optic communications channels or metal pilot-wire. The GRW200 has a special pilot-wire interface that allows the relay to be directly connected to current protection pilots and offers a fiber optic upgrading path.
- May 2021 - Siemens introduced force-guided connection relays for purposes involving safety. Siemens Smart Infrastructure's line of coupling relays for electrical networks in industry and infrastructure is completed with the Sirius 3RQ1 series. The novel force-guided instruments have a broad supply voltage spectrum of 24 to 240V AC/DC and are intended for global application.
Protective Relay Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHT
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.2.5 Threat of Substitutes
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Technology Snapshot
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growth in Electricity Consumption
5.1.2 Increasing Use of Renewable Energy Sources
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Higher Installation Costs
5.3 Assessment of Impact of Covid-19 on the Industry
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Voltage Range
6.2 By Application
6.2.1 Feeder Protection
6.2.2 Transmission Line Protection
6.2.3 Transformer Protection
6.2.4 Motor Protection
6.2.5 Emergency Shutdown Systems (ESD)
6.2.6 Other Applications
6.3 By End-user Industry
6.3.3 Other End-user Industries
6.4.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6.4.4 Latin America
6.4.5 Middle East & Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 ABB Ltd.
7.1.2 Schneider Electric
7.1.3 Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
7.1.4 Siemens AG
7.1.5 Toshiba Corporation
7.1.6 Bender GmbH & Co. KG
7.1.7 Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories
7.1.8 Eaton Corporation
7.1.9 General Electric
7.1.10 Fanox Electronics
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Protective Relay Market Research FAQs
What is the current Protective Relay Market size?
The Protective Relay Market is projected to register a CAGR of 5.98% during the forecast period (2023-2027).
Who are the key players in Protective Relay Market?
ABB Group, Schneider Electric SE, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Siemens AG and Toshiba Corporation are the major companies operating in the Protective Relay Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Protective Relay Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2027).
Which region has the biggest share in Protective Relay Market?
In 2023, the North America accounts for the largest market share in the Protective Relay Market.
Protective Relay Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Protective Relay market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Protective Relay analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.