Prebiotic Ingredients Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||South America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Prebiotic Ingredients Market Analysis
The prebiotic ingredients market was valued at USD 5270.11 million in 2020, and it is projected to reach a CAGR of 9.56% during the period 2021-2026.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has led to a shift in the diet behavior of consumers, with 56% of European consumers associating prebiotics with immune health, as 70% of immune cells are found in the gut. Moreover, companies like Kellogg’s are expanding their gut-health portfolios with the launches of new prebiotic cereals to improve gut health, paying the way for more prebiotic ingredient growth post-COVID-19.
- Consumers have become increasingly aware of the importance of prebiotics in maintaining a healthy digestive system and prefer a diet with increased fiber intake, thus, driving the digestive health ingredients market, with bakery and cereal products expected to witness high demand.
- Moreover, the increasing demand for FOS in infant nutrition is the major factor driving the market, mainly in Europe and the United States. The major regulations across the world have accepted the utilization of oligosaccharides or FOS in infant formula. For instance, infant food formulas containing GOS or FOS are heavily marketed in the United States.
Prebiotic Ingredients Industry Segments
A is a selectively fermented ingredient that allows specific changes, both in the composition and/or activity in the gastrointestinal microflora that confers benefits upon host well-being and health. The prebiotic ingredients market is segmented by type, application, and geography. By type, the market is segmented into inulin, fructooligosaccharide, galactooligosaccharide, and other types. By application, the market is segmented into functional food and beverage, infant formula and baby food, dietary supplements, animal feed, and pet food. Animal feed is further sub-segmented into ruminant, poultry, swine, aquaculture, and other animal feed. By geography, the market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Middle East & Africa, Asia-Pacific, and South America. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasting have been done in value terms of USD million.
|Functional Food and Beverage|
|Infant Formula and Baby Food|
Prebiotic Ingredients Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Prebiotic Ingredients Market according to our research experts:
Evolving Preference for Improved Gut Health
Rising consumer awareness regarding gut health is anticipated to propel the demand in the prebiotic ingredients market, and according to the International Food Information Council, over one-quarter (28%) of adults cited digestive health among the top benefits in food/beverage products, and two-thirds of the consumers aged 50 years and over said digestive health is extremely/very important in 2018, creating momentum for prebiotic ingredients. In 2018, the Dupont Microbiome Venture expanded its partnership with the Center of Food and Fermentation Technologies to complement DuPont’s existing product portfolio in the areas of probiotics and prebiotics, including human milk oligosaccharides. Moreover, key players are also actively offering prebiotic supplements, as maintenance of a healthy gut is increasingly becoming important among consumers. According to an international study by Beneo Inc., 42% of consumers are very or extremely interested in the gut microbiome. Additionally, 52% of consumers perceived that prebiotic fibers aid in digestion, 50% considered they would improve gut health, 43% said they promote overall health, and 30% thought prebiotics help strengthen immunity. Such factors are escalating the application of prebiotic ingredients in various food and beverage applications.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Holds a Significant Market Share
The rising awareness regarding health benefits and the surge in the aging population are some of the major factors to boost the prebiotic ingredients market in Europe during the forecast period, both in food and beverages and pharmaceuticals, since prebiotics aid in digestion and healthy bowel movements. According to Sensus, the European bakery market witnessed 228 product launches in the last year, having labels mentioning inulin, oligofructose, or chicory root fiber on the packaging. 11% of these launches were in the United Kingdom. The European dietary supplement market is driven by the growing acceptance of these supplements among the aging population and the increasing incidences of lifestyle disorders. Healthcare professionals across the region recommend dietary supplements containing prebiotic ingredients to their patients to combat health challenges.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Prebiotic Ingredients Market Competitor Analysis
The prebiotic ingredients market is a highly competitive market and comprises regional and international competitors. The market is dominated by players like Kerry Group, Tereos SA, Ingredion Incorporated, Royal Freisland Campina NV, and Cargill. The leading players in the prebiotic ingredients market enjoy a dominant presence worldwide. These players focus on leveraging the opportunities posed by emerging markets to expand their product portfolio so that they can cater to the requirements for various product segments, especially in prebiotic ingredients. These players focus on rapid market expansion and new product launches to gain a better market share, efficient results, and a competitive edge over other competitors in the global market.
Prebiotic Ingredients Market Top Players
Royal FrieslandCampina N.V.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Prebiotic Ingredients Market Recent Developments
- In 2018, Tereos SA opened an R&D center in Singapore, thus, bringing innovative solutions to the food sector in the Asia-Pacific region and leveraging the group’s extensive portfolio of products to address the regional demand for noodles, bakery products, confectionery, teas, sauces, snacks, and beverages.
- In 2017, DuPont entered into a multi-year partnership with the APC Microbiome Institute in Ireland, the venture's first major partnership, in order to create solutions that establish a healthy microbiome for infants.
- In 2016, Ingredion Incorporated launched a prebiotic fiber, Nutraflora L95-S, which is an expansion of Nutraflora prebiotic fiber scFOS portfolio. This prebiotic may reduce the sugar and calorie levels by 30% in bakery products, thus, holding a major application in the bakery industry.
Prebiotic Ingredients Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Deliverables and Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Type
5.1.2 Fructooligosaccharide (FOS)
5.1.3 Galactooligosaccharide (GOS)
5.1.4 Other Types
5.2 By Application
5.2.1 Functional Food and Beverage
5.2.2 Infant Formula and Baby Food
5.2.3 Dietary Supplements
5.2.4 Animal Feed
188.8.131.52 Other Animal Feed
5.2.5 Pet Food
5.3 By Geography
5.3.1 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 Rest of North America
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 South America
188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Strategies Adopted by Key Players
6.2 Market Positioning Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Tereos Group
6.3.2 Ingredion Incorporated
6.3.3 Cargill Inc.
6.3.4 DuPont de Nemours Inc.
6.3.5 Kerry Group
6.3.6 Yakult Honsha Co. Ltd
6.3.7 Cosucra Groupe Warcoing SA
6.3.8 Sensus BV
6.3.9 Nexira SAS
6.3.10 Roquette Freres
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
8. IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON THE MARKET
Prebiotic Ingredients Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Prebiotic Ingredients Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Prebiotic Ingredients Market ?
The Prebiotic Ingredients Market is growing at a CAGR of 9.56% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Prebiotic Ingredients Market ?
South America is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Prebiotic Ingredients Market ?
Europe holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Prebiotic Ingredients Market ?
Tereos Group, Ingredion Incorporated, Cargill Inc, Kerry Group, Royal FrieslandCampina N.V. are the major companies operating in Prebiotic Ingredients Market .
Prebiotic Ingredients Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Prebiotic Ingredients Market sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Prebiotic Ingredients Market research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Prebiotic Ingredients Market report PDF.