Power Transformers Market Size
|Study Period||2019- 2028|
|Market Size (2023)||USD 25.77 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 40.87 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||9.70 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Power Transformers Market Analysis
The Power Transformers Market size is estimated at USD 25.77 billion in 2023, and is expected to reach USD 40.87 billion by 2028, growing at a CAGR of 9.70% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
- In the near future, factors such as increasing integration of renewable energy generation and aging power grids and investments in transmission and distribution infrastructure are expected to drive the market.
- On the other hand, a lack of investor confidence due to sociopolitical instability in some countries is expected to restrain market growth.
- Nevertheless, the development of a super grid in emerging markets is expected to provide significant opportunities for market growth.
- Asia-Pacific is one of the significant markets with the highest terawatt-hour capacity of electricity generation. With an increase in the demand for power and cross-border transmission and initiatives to utilize renewable resources, the market for power transformers is expected to grow during the forecast period.
Power Transformers Market Trends
Large Power Transformers Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- A large power transformer (LPT) is an electrical device used in power systems to transfer electrical energy between different voltage levels. It is a static device consisting of wire coils, called windings, wrapped around a core made of laminated steel.
- The primary purpose of large power transformers is that they are usually used as transmission transformers and generation step-up transformers. They allow efficient transmission of electrical energy over long distances by reducing power losses and optimizing voltage levels.
- Over the last decade, a new technology, high voltage direct current (HVDC), has become more popular for long distances and submarine environments. HVDC transmissions hold the potential to improve the power transmission landscape around the globe. This technology is at the forefront of the emerging smart grid revolution and has emerged as an economically viable solution for bulk and long-distance power transmission. The increasing penetration of HVDC technology all around the globe is expected to increase the demand for LPT during the forecast period.
- Further, the exponential increase in renewable energy installations has been a major driver for LPTs over the last decade. Most utility-scale renewable energy generation facilities, such as vast solar and wind farms, are generally located far from population centers. Hence, they should be connected to the demand centers via large-scale transmission projects to utilize the power generated. Several large renewable energy projects are currently under development and require large power transformers for transmissions.
- Due to the high penetration rate of renewable energy in the electricity generation sector, grid stability has become a significant issue in countries such as Canada and the United States, which have a high level of energy integration in their grids. This requires the modernization of older transmission and distribution infrastructure. As renewable energy produced from sources, such as solar and wind, provides variable power output, traditional transmission and distribution systems are not suitable for renewable energy transmission and distribution (T&D) and require upgradation or retrofitting with innovative grid technologies.
- North America is one of the largest renewable energy markets globally, and over the past decade, installed renewable energy capacity has grown from nearly 272.51 GW in 2013 to 489.22 GW in 2022, a growth of over 79.5%.
- Over the past four decades, North American countries like the United States and Canada have installed large transmission networks, and retrofitting these long-distance networks with new high-voltage technologies is the region's main priority. Further, most of the large power transformers in the regions were installed more than twenty years ago and require upgradation.
- Further, in November 2022, Transmission Developers Inc. began constructing the Champlain Hudson Power Express transmission line, delivering reliable, clean energy directly from Hydro-Québec in Canada to New York City. Once completed, the Champlain Hudson Power Express is expected to provide 1,250 MW of clean hydroelectricity to power over one million homes. The transmission line is scheduled to be fully operational by the spring of 2026. These projects are likely to boost the power transformer market in the country.
- Owing to the above points, the large power transformer segment is expected to account for the largest market share during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region is the largest energy consumer globally. In 2022, according to the Energy Institute Statistical Review of World Energy 2023, the region generated nearly 14,546.4 TWh of electricity, accounting for nearly 49.8% of the global generation.
- The rising integration of renewable energy from massive utility-scale renewable energy farms in countries such as China and India, the electrification of industries and buildings, and the growth of data centers contribute to a significant increase in electricity consumption. With the growing population and urbanization in the region, the electricity demand is also expected to increase, driving the need for power transformers to handle higher voltages and power levels. Additionally, integrating renewable energy sources like wind and solar into the grid will require new transformers to control the variable and decentralized energy they produce.
- As the electricity demand across China has grown steadily, the country has invested heavily in its T&D infrastructure to satiate the burgeoning energy demand. For instance, in January 2023, the State Grid Corporation of China announced plans to invest nearly USD 77 billion in transmission infrastructure and energy storage systems during 2023, up by nearly 4.0% Y-o-Y.
- Further, India is witnessing massive infrastructure development in the energy, transportation, and real estate sectors. These projects require a robust electrical grid system, including power transformers, to support the growing energy demand and ensure reliable power supply to various infrastructural facilities. The Indian industrial sector is expanding rapidly, including manufacturing, construction, and mining. This growth demands a reliable and uninterrupted power supply, necessitating the deployment of power transformers to meet the energy needs of industrial facilities. For instance, in August 2022, Srex Power India secured a contract from Vivo Mobile India for building an EHV 220kV Gas Insulated substation at Vivo Mobile's Greater Noida Facility.
- In addition, the country's power grid has become older and needs modernization. With the increasing power load and the rising integration of variable generation assets such as solar panels and wind turbines, grid stability has become a significant issue. Hence, the government, including state and federal electric utilities, has been investing heavily in the upgradation and modernization of the grid.
- For instance, according to the Powergrid Corporation of India (PGCIL), the country's largest transmission utility, the country plans to invest USD 34.2 billion to set up an interstate transmission network (ISTS), primarily to accommodate and transmit renewable energy. According to the state utility, the plan envisions investments of up to USD 17 billion from 2026-2027. According to the Power Ministry, the country has already approved 23 ISTS projects for green energy evacuation at a total cost of USD 1.93 billion during FY 2022. In November 2022, transmission projects worth nearly USD 7.2 billion was approved.
- Owing to the above points and recent developments, Asia-Pacific is expected to witness significant growth in the power market during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Power Transformers Industry Overview
The power transformers market is fragmented. Some of the major players in the market include ABB Ltd, Siemens AG, General Electric Company, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, and Toshiba Corporation, among others
Power Transformers Market Leaders
General Electric Company
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Power Transformers Market News
- August 2023: As part of President Biden’s Investing in America agenda, the United States Department of Energy (DOE) announced USD 20 million to support the installation of energy-efficient distribution transformers and comprehensive product systems that utilize equipment with electric motors, such as pumps, air compressors, and fans.
- June 2023: The Department of Energy (DOE) suggested new energy-efficiency standards for three categories of distribution transformers. Almost all transformers delivered under the new standard would utilize amorphous steel cores, which DOE stated are more energy efficient than those produced by traditional, grain-oriented electrical steel. If adopted within DOE’s proposed timeframe, the new rule would take effect from 2027. To convey products in adherence with the amended standards, the DOE estimated the industry would incur total conversion costs of about USD 270.6 million for liquid-immersed distribution transformers, around USD 69.4 million for low-voltage dry-type distribution transformers, and about USD 3.1 million for medium-voltage dry type distribution transformers.
Power Transformers Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
1.4 Study Deliverables
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD, till 2028
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
220.127.116.11 Increasing Integration Of Renewable Energy Generation
18.104.22.168 Aging Power Grids And Investments In Transmission And Distribution Infrastructure
22.214.171.124 Lack Of Investor Confidence Due To Sociopolitical Instability In Some Countries
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.7.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.7.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.7.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.7.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.7.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Large Power Transformer
5.1.2 Medium Power Transformer
5.1.3 Small Power Transformer
5.2.1 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
5.2.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.2.5 Middle East and Africa
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 United Arab Emirates
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 ABB Ltd
6.3.2 Siemens AG
6.3.3 General Electric Company
6.3.4 Crompton Greaves Ltd
6.3.5 Toshiba Corporation
6.3.6 Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. Ltd
6.3.7 Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
6.3.8 Hyosung Corporation
6.3.9 Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited
6.3.10 SPX Transformer Solutions Inc.
6.3.11 JiangSu HuaPeng Transformer Co. Ltd
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Development of a Super Grid In Emerging Markets
Power Transformers Market Research FAQs
How big is the Power Transformers Market?
The Power Transformers Market size is expected to reach USD 25.77 billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 9.70% to reach USD 40.87 billion by 2028.
What is the current Power Transformers Market size?
In 2023, the Power Transformers Market size is expected to reach USD 25.77 billion.
Who are the key players in Power Transformers Market?
Siemens Ltd., General Electric Company, Toshiba Corporation, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation and ABB Ltd. are the major companies operating in the Power Transformers Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Power Transformers Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Power Transformers Market?
In 2023, the Asia Pacific accounts for the largest market share in Power Transformers Market.
Power Transformers Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Power Transformers market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Power Transformers analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.