|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The plastic additives market was estimated at USD 24,814.43 million in 2020, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 4.5% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted due to the COVID-19 outbreak in 2020. COVID-19 exposed several challenges for various industries. The world apparently moved into lockdown to curb the transmission of the COVID-19 virus. The uncertainty and constraints hindered markets. Additionally, the pandemic leads to decreased investment and postpones the ongoing projects in all the countries across the world. With manufacturing activities being halted across the world, the demand for plastic, including plastic additives, was impacted by almost all industries worldwide. However, the conditions are expected to recover in 2021, which will restore the market's growth trajectory.
- Over the medium term, the replacement of conventional materials by plastics in several applications and increasing demand for plastics due to rapid urbanization and rising purchasing power among consumers are expected to drive the market's growth.
- On the flip side, stringent governmental regulations on plastic usage and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic are restraining the growth of the plastics industry globally, which is directly affecting the plastic additives demand on the global front.
- By plastic type, polypropylene is likely to be the fastest-growing segment among others.
- By geography, Asia-Pacific dominated the market, with the largest consumption coming from countries such as China, India, and Japan.
Scope of the Report
Plastics additives are chemicals which are used to polymerize, process or to modify end use properties of plastics. The demand for plastic additives is fully dependent on the demand for plastics. The growing usage of plastics is vastly dependent on the growth of the economy, rapid urbanization, increasing purchasing power, and rising disposable income among consumers. The plastic additives market is segmented by type, plastic type, application, and geography. By type, the market is segmented into lubricants, processing aids, flow improvers, slip additives, antistatic additives, pigment wetting agents, filler dispersants, antifog additives, plasticizers, stabilizers, flame retardants, impact modifiers, and other types. By plastic type, the market is segmented into polyethylene, polystyrene, polypropylene, polyamides, polyethylene terephthalate, polyvinyl chloride, polycarbonate, and other plastic types. By application, the market is segmented into packaging, consumer goods, construction, automotive, and other applications. The report also covers market size and forecasts for plastic additives in 18 countries across major regions. For each segment, market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of value (USD million).
|Processing Aids (Fluoro-polymer based)|
|Pigment Wetting Agents|
|Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)|
|Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)|
|Other Plastic Types|
Key Market Trends
Packaging Segment to Dominate the Market
- The packaging industry mostly relies on polymers for the packaging and decoration of its end-user products. Factors leading to the increased application of polymers in the packaging industry are certain properties of polymers, including lightweight, availability in different colors, low reactivity, chemical, and moisture resistance, etc.
- The usage of suitable plastic additives contributes toward extended lifetime, appearance, thermal protection, clarity, low haze, and improved mechanical properties, which are the most important factors for packaging.
- Major forms of plastics used in the packaging industry are polyethylene terephthalate (PET/PETE), high-density polyethylene (HDPE), polyvinyl chloride (PVC), low-density polyethylene (LDPE), polypropylene, polystyrene, etc.
- One of the main applications of packaging is in the food and beverage industry. With the increase in awareness toward hygiene and health among the global population, the packaging industry is also growing at a steady pace.
- Packaging of food items is a process that continually responds to the changes in demand and supply, which are the results of adaptations to the varying demands of the consumers, changes in retail practices, technological innovations, and new developments in legislation, especially with respect to environmental concerns.
- A wide range of additives is available for enhancing the performance and appearance of food packaging, where polymer additives are important areas of innovation for packaging materials.
- The revenue from the global food and beverage industry is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 8% during the forecast period and reach a market volume of around USD 380 million by 2025. This is expected to provide lucrative opportunities for the growth of the market studied during the forecast period.
- All the aforementioned factors, in turn, are expected to increase the demand for plastic additives during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the global market share. China is one of the lucrative markets for plastic additives due to low-cost raw materials and labor availability. All plastic products are made from essential polymers, mixed with a complex blend of materials, collectively known as plastic additives. China is one of the largest producers of plastic materials in the world, accounting for ~30% of global plastics production.
- Packaging is the largest end user for the plastics industry, accounting for more than one-quarter of total plastics usage. The rapid development of e-commerce has greatly promoted the development of the packaging industry in the country. With the rise in demand for lighter, cheaper, and more convenient packaging from consumers, the packaging sector in China is set to experience rapid growth during the forecast period, which, in turn, is expected to boost the plastic additives market.
- For roughly three decades, China’s booming economy has offered consumer product companies some of the world’s greatest growth opportunities. Attracted by the huge potential of the Chinese consumer goods market, many foreign companies have entered China and set up production units. With the growth of consumer goods production, plastic additive consumption may also see increased demand.
- As living conditions continue to improve in China, people are becoming increasingly willing to invest in home decoration. Consumers’ increasing purchasing power has majorly boosted the furniture market. Chinese furniture market is increasing with the emergence of the new middle-class population. Plastic additives are used to manufacture plastic furniture.
- In India, according to OICA, the country produced a total of 2.16 million vehicles till Q3 (January to September) of 2020, which declined by 38.4% compared to 3.51 million vehicles during the same period in the previous year. The automotive industry was facing a critical situation and is hard hit by the coronavirus spread. However, the government's reforms such as “Aatma Nirbhar Bharat” and “Make in India” programs are likely to boost the automotive industry.
- The government of India is pushing huge projects in the next few years. The government’s ‘Housing for All’ initiative aims to build more than 20 million affordable homes for the urban poor by 2022. Smart cities mission is another major project undertaken by the government, which will construct more than 100 smart cities all over the country to achieve rapid urbanization in the country. In the 2021-22 budget, the smart cities mission has been given INR 6,450 crore as against INR 3,400 crore in the 2020-21 revised estimates.
- All the aforementioned factors are expected to drive the demand for plastic additives from various applications in consumer goods, construction, automotive, and others over the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The plastic additives market is fragmented in nature, as the top ten leading players account for only 40% of the market. Due to the intervention of small- and medium-scale manufacturers in the additives market, the market share of global producers has constricted to a huge extent. Major players in the market are BASF SE, ExxonMobil, Evonik Industries, DowDuPont, and Nouryon, among others.
- In March 2021, Sabo entered a distribution agreement with the RNM Group, one of the leading chemical companies on the Portuguese market. RNM Group will be in charge of the distribution across Portugal of the SABO Polymer Additives products sold under the trade names SABOSTAB, SABOSTAT, and SABOFOG.
- In February 2021, Lanxess is accelerating its growth course and signed a binding agreement to acquire 100% shares in Emerald Kalama Chemical. The US-based company is a globally leading manufacturer of specialty chemicals (including preservatives, flavors, aroma chemicals, plasticizers, antioxidants, and vulcanization accelerators), especially for the consumer segment, and it is majority-owned by affiliates of the US private equity firm, American Securities LLC.
- In January 2021, Songwon Industrial Co. Ltd signed an exclusive distribution agreement for PVC additives in India with Mumbai-based Makwell Plastisizers Pvt Ltd, effective as of December 2020.
- In May 2020, Songwon Industrial Co. Ltd signed two exclusive distribution agreements for the distribution of its comprehensive range of polymer stabilizers. Bodo Möller Chemie Benelux NV has been supplying customers in Belgium, Luxemburg, and the Netherlands since January 1, 2020, and Bodo Möller Chemie UK Ltd took on responsibility in the United Kingdom and Ireland on May 1.
- In May 2020, Songwon Industrial Co. Ltd signed an exclusive distribution agreement with Biesterfeld France. As from May 1, 2020, Biesterfeld France has been exclusively distributing the Songwon’s polymer stabilizer range in France.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Report
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Replacement of Conventional Materials by Plastics in Several Applications
4.1.2 Increasing Demand for Plastics Due to Rapid Urbanization and Rising Purchasing Power Among Consumers
4.1.3 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Stringent Governmental Regulations on Plastic Usage
4.2.2 Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic
4.2.3 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Value)
5.1.2 Processing Aids (Fluoro-polymer based)
5.1.3 Flow Improvers
5.1.4 Slip Additives
5.1.5 Antistatic Additives
5.1.6 Pigment Wetting Agents
5.1.7 Filler Dispersants
5.1.8 Antifog Additives
5.1.11 Flame Retardants
5.1.12 Impact Modifiers
5.1.13 Other Types
5.2 Plastic Type
5.2.1 Polyethylene (PE)
5.2.2 Polystyrene (PS)
5.2.3 Polypropylene (PP)
5.2.4 Polyamides (PA)
5.2.5 Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)
5.2.6 Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
5.2.7 Polycarbonate (PC)
5.2.8 Other Plastic Types
5.3.2 Consumer Goods
5.3.5 Other Applications
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 ASEAN Countries
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.2 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
5.4.4 South America
126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
5.4.5 Middle-East and Africa
188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
184.108.40.206 United Arab Emirates
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 ADEKA CORPORATION
6.4.2 Baerlocher GmbH
6.4.3 BASF SE
6.4.6 Emerald Performance Materials
6.4.7 Evonik Industries AG
6.4.8 Exxon Mobil Corporation
6.4.9 KANEKA CORPORATION
6.4.12 Mitsui & Co. Plastics Ltd
6.4.14 SABO SpA
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growing Research to Develop Bio-based Plastics
7.2 Innovative Product Applications
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Plastic Additives Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Plastic Additives Market?
The Plastic Additives Market is growing at a CAGR of >4.5% over the next 5 years.
What is Plastic Additives Market size in 2016?
The Plastic Additives Market is valued at 24814 Million USD in 2016.
Which region has highest growth rate in Plastic Additives Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Plastic Additives Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Plastic Additives Market?
Nouryon, Dow, Exxon Mobil Corporation, BASF SE, Evonik Industries AG are the major companies operating in Plastic Additives Market.