Photocatalyst Market Snapshot
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The photocatalyst market is estimated to be more than USD 2,100 million in 2021, registering a CAGR of over 9% during the forecast period (2022-2027).
The impact of COVID-19 on the market was negative, but presently the market has now at pre-pandemic levels and is expected to grow steadily in the forecast period (2022-2027).
- High demand for titanium dioxide and increasing water treatment and air purification applications are likely to drive the demand for the photocatalyst market.
- On the flip side, high capital investments are expected to hinder the growth of the market.
- Titanium dioxide finds its broad application in self-cleaning and, therefore, is widely used in building materials, paint and coatings, and plastics which account for more than 80% of the consumption worldwide, which is forecast to fuel the growth of the market studied.
- R&D is undergoing to use photocatalysts as a disinfectant because of their better ability to inactivate a wide range of harmful microorganisms over traditional disinfection methods such as chlorination.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the global market, with the majority of the consumption coming from China and India.
Scope of the Report
A photocatalyst is a material that undergoes photosensitization, wherein a photochemical modification occurs as a result of the absorption of radiation from solar (UV) as well as other visible light sources. The photocatalyst market is segmented by type, application, and geography. On the basis of type, the market is segmented by Titanium dioxide, Zinc Oxide, and Other Types. Based on application, the market is segmented into Self-cleaning, Air Purification, Water Treatment, Anti-fogging, and Other Applications. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the market in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of revenue (USD million).
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand for Titanium dioxide
- Titanium dioxide is usually a white powder widely used as an ingredient in white pigment, white plastic, and white paper. It is also used for cosmetic products since it absorbs ultraviolet light.
- While Titanium dioxide photocatalyst is derived by slightly changing its crystal structure and converting it to a fine powder in order to increase its photocatalytic capability, it shows "decomposing ability" and "hydrophilic properties" upon exposure to ultraviolet light.
- Titanium dioxide (TiO2) has been widely used as a photocatalyst in many environmental and energy applications due to its efficient photoactivity, high stability, low cost, and safety to the environment and humans.
- In the self-cleaning application of titanium dioxide, the finding of the photo-induced hydrophilicity in the last decade has markedly widened the application range of titanium dioxide-coated material, which is further increasing the demand for the titanium dioxide.
- Increasing construction activities are estimated to grow the demand for paint and coatings. TiO2 is an ingredient of self-cleaning paints, and as a photocatalyst, it transmits unique cleaning and anti-microbial properties. It is often mixed with the building and construction materials like concrete and paints to keep them clean.
- Combined with these applications, there are several ongoing research on photocatalysis applications of titanium dioxide, which are expected to further propel the photocatalyst market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
China to Dominate the Asia-Pacific Market
- The growing demand for paint and coatings due to the growing demand from construction, automotive, and packaging is expected to drive the market for photocatalysts during the forecast period. The country produces around 30% of the total global paints and coatings. The new investments and expansions in the country include:
- PPG Industries is planning to construct its South Chinese R&D and production base by 2022, with an investment of CNY 620 million.
- Asia Cuanon signed an agreement to construct a new production base in Changsha, Hunan province, with a total investment of CNY 600 million, which will include 200 thousand metric tons of high-quality architecture coatings and other construction materials.
- BASF is expected to continue to invest in the company's coatings site in Jiangmen, Guangdong Province in South China, which BASF acquired in 2016.
- BASF Coatings (Guangdong) Co. Ltd has the one and only automotive refinish coatings production site for BASF in Asia. The company is planning to construct a new facility for automotive refinish coatings that is expected to start production in the first half of 2022.
- All such expansions in paint production with the growing demand in the country are further expected to drive the market demand for photocatalysts during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The photocatalyst market is consolidated in nature, with the top five players having major production capacities. Some of the key players accounting for a major share of the market (in no particular order) include The Chemours Company, Tronox Holdings PLC, Venator Materials PLC, Lomon Billions, and KRONOS Worldwide Inc.
- The recent developments pertaining to the major players in the market are being covered in the complete study.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Rapidly Growing Demand for Titanium dioxide
4.1.2 Increasing Applications in Water Treatment and Air Purification
4.2.1 High Capital Investment
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Titanium dioxide
5.1.2 Zinc Oxide
5.1.3 Other Types
5.2.2 Air Purification
5.2.3 Water Treatment
5.2.5 Other Applications
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share(%)**/ Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Daicel Miraizu Ltd
6.4.2 Green Millennium
6.4.3 Hangzhou Harmony Chemical Co. Ltd
6.4.4 ISHIHARA SANGYO KAISHA Ltd
6.4.5 KRONOS Worldwide Inc.
6.4.6 Lomon Billions
6.4.7 Nanoptek Corp.
6.4.8 SHOWA DENKO KK
6.4.10 The Chemours Company
6.4.11 TitanPE Technologies Inc.
6.4.12 Tronox Holdings PLC
6.4.13 Venator Materials PLC
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Increasing Research and Development as a Disinfectant
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Photocatalyst Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Photocatalyst Market?
The Photocatalyst Market is growing at a CAGR of >9% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Photocatalyst Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Photocatalyst Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Photocatalyst Market?
KRONOS Worldwide Inc , Tronox Holdings Plc , The Chemours Company, Venator Materials PLC, Lomon Billions are the major companies operating in Photocatalyst Market.