Controlled Release Drug Delivery Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia-Pacific|
|Largest Market||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Controlled Release Drug Delivery Market Analysis
The controlled-release drug delivery market is projected to register a CAGR of 8% during the forecast period.
- The COVID-19 pandemic impacted the studied market growth since the majority of the market players were focusing on COVID-19 vaccine development, and there were manufacturing restrictions in pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical plants due to lockdown restrictions in the initial phase of the pandemic. However, the later stage of the pandemic was associated with research activities employing the control release drug delivery for COVID-19.
- For instance, according to an article published in Elsevier Public Health Emergency Collection in January 2022, researchers were developing targeted nanoparticles loaded with antiviral drugs for SARS-CoV-2 inhibition. Hence, owing to the above-mentioned factors, the market studied had a significant impact on the market studied. However, with the COVID-19 cases in control, the market is re-gaining its pre-pandemic nature in terms of demand for controlled-release drug delivery technologies for research and development.
- Furthermore, the rising prevalence of chronic diseases is expected to boost the demand for controlled-release drug delivery technology as it maximizes the efficacy of the therapeutic and minimizes the side effects, which adds to the market's growth.
- According to the American Cancer Society Cancer Statistics 2023, 1.9 million new cancer cases are predicted to be diagnosed in the United States in 2023. The high burden of cancer creates an opportunity for market players to develop innovative drugs that boost the utilization of controlled-release drug delivery technologies, which in turn expand the market growth.
- Additionally, according to 2022 statistics published by National Health Science, about 1.17 million people in England were diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD) in 2021, accounting for 1.9% of the total population. Also, as per the Australian Bureau of Statistics, updated in 2022, 375.8 thousand individuals (1.5%) of all ages had chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in 2021. The high burden of COPD worldwide boosts the demand for controlled-release drugs that can be used in various types of inhalers, which is projected to augment the market growth during the forecast period.
- Furthermore, the strategic initiatives by market players for innovation and launches in existing products also contribute significantly to market growth. For instance, in November 2021, AMW GmbH and AdhexPharma SAS entered into a strategic partnership for the expansion of AMW's transdermal delivery systems (TDS), combining the strengths of both companies.
- Also, in February 2022, AstraZeneca launched the Ambition Zero Carbon Program in partnership with Honeywell to develop next-generation respiratory inhalers. Under the partnership, the companies will eliminate the propellent that was earlier used in metered dose inhalers for patients with asthma and COPD. Therefore, the partnership will boost the development of advanced metered dose inhalers, which is further projected to accelerate the market growth during the forecast period.
- Therefore, factors such as the rising prevalence of chronic disease and increasing strategic initiatives by market players are expected to drive market growth during the forecast period. However, the higher cost compared to the conventional method is projected to restrain the market growth during the forecast period.
Controlled Release Drug Delivery Market Trends
The Targeted Delivery Segment is Expected to Hold a Major Market Share in the Controlled Release Drug Delivery Market.
- The targeted drug delivery is expected to boost the studied market during the forecast period. This trend is primarily due to its rising demand coupled with the increasing geriatric and pediatric population. Compared to traditional delivery systems, the targeted delivery systems achieve a prolonged therapeutic effect, delivering drugs at the target site at a pre-determined rate at predictable drug release kinetics.
- Furthermore, the increasing product launches owing to the growing benefits offered by the targeted delivery are also expected to drive the segment's growth. For instance, in October 2021, NanoString Technologies, Inc. launched the Counter ADC Development Panel, a specialized gene expression tool for use in the rapidly expanding antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs) field. These ADCs enabled the targeted delivery of highly potent cytotoxic compounds to treat cancers. Due to such innovative launches in targeted drug delivery, the segment is believed to witness significant growth.
- In addition, the increasing research and development by the key manufacturers to meet the growing demand for innovative targeted drug delivery products are expected to drive the segment's growth. For instance, in March 2022, AstraZeneca announced that they were developing advanced drug delivery systems for targeted and controlled release of their novel molecules in tissues and cells to optimize their potential benefits for patients. Thus, due to the factors mentioned above, the studied segment is expected to dominate the market with a major share during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America is Expected to Hold a Significant Share in the Market and is expected to do the Same in the Forecast Period
- The North American region is expected to hold a significant market share in the controlled-release drug delivery market due to rising incidences of chronic diseases like cancer and HIV and increased product launches.
- According to the article by the Canadian Cancer Society, in November 2022, 233.9 thousand people were predicted to be diagnosed with cancer in 2022. Also, per the HIV in Canada 2021 statistics published by the Public Health Agency of Canada, 1,722 new cases of HIV were diagnosed in 2021. Therefore, the high burden of chronic diseases such as cancer and HIV is expected to boost the demand for controlled-release drug delivery devices for effective drug delivery and treatment, which is expected to accelerate market growth.
- The initiatives taken by market players to meet the growing demand for controlled-release drug delivery are also expected to drive the market's growth in this region. For instance, in January 2021, Tapemarka and Biotts partnered to commercialize MacroPerm, a new large-molecule transdermal technology designed to transport Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) through the skin. Such factors expand the utility of transdermal technology of controlled release drug delivery, accelerating the market growth.
- Therefore, owing to the rising burden of chronic diseases and launches by market players, the studied market is expected to grow in this region during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Controlled Release Drug Delivery Industry Overview
The controlled-release drug delivery market is moderately competitive and has several major players. A few of the major players are currently dominating the market in terms of market share. Some companies currently dominating the market are Adare Pharma Solutions, Merck and Co., Inc., Colorcon, Johnson and Johnson, Coating Place, Corium Interenational Inc., GlaxoSmithKline, Bayer Healthcare LLC, and Lonza, among others.
Controlled Release Drug Delivery Market Leaders
Adare Pharma Solutions
Johnson and Johnson
Lonza Group AG (Capsugel)
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Controlled Release Drug Delivery Market News
- June 2022: A research study was conducted at the University of Michigan that demonstrated a new method of drug microencapsulation, allowing several peptide drugs to be slowly released into the body.
- March 2022: Evonik launched Eudratec SoluFlow, a new microparticle technology to enhance the solubility of active pharmaceutical ingredients in oral drug products. As more than 70% of new small molecules are insoluble, Eudratec SoluFlow enables the development of new oral therapeutics in diverse areas, such as cancer, cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases, and diabetes.
Controlled Release Drug Delivery Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Rise in Incidence of Chronic diseases
4.2.2 Growing Geriatric and Pediatric Population
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Higher Cost Compared to the Conventional Method
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Technology
5.1.1 Micro Encapsulation
5.1.3 Targeted delivery
5.1.4 Other Technologies
5.2 By Application
5.2.1 Metered Dose Inhalers
5.2.3 Transdermal and Ocular Patches
5.2.4 Other Applications
5.3.1 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
22.214.171.124 South Korea
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 Middle East and Africa
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle East and Africa
5.3.5 South America
220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Adare Pharma Solutions
6.1.2 Merck and Co., Inc
6.1.4 Johnson and Johnson
6.1.5 Coating Place
6.1.6 Corium International Inc.
6.1.7 GlaxoSmithKline PLC
6.1.9 Bayer Healthcare LLC
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Controlled Release Drug Delivery Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Controlled Release Drug Delivery Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Controlled Release Drug Delivery Market?
The Controlled Release Drug Delivery Market is growing at a CAGR of 8% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Controlled Release Drug Delivery Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Controlled Release Drug Delivery Market?
North America holds highest share in 2022.
Who are the key players in Controlled Release Drug Delivery Market?
Adare Pharma Solutions, Merck KGaA, Johnson and Johnson, Lonza Group AG (Capsugel), Colorcon are the major companies operating in Controlled Release Drug Delivery Market.
Global Controlled Release Drug Delivery Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Controlled Release Drug Delivery market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Controlled Release Drug Delivery analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.