Payment Processor Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Payment Processor Market Analysis
The Payment Processor Market is expected to grow, registering a CAGR of approximately 10.7% during the forecast period. The market growth can be attributed to the rising global prevalence of the internet and smartphones. Because of the ease of access to the internet, the use of digital payment processing has increased, resulting in the expansion of the payment processing solutions business.
- The payments landscape globally is changing rapidly due to the increasing enterprises and consumer propensity toward digital transformation, coupled with the high penetration rate of smartphones. The technological advancements in the smartphone industry, the evolution of digital payment methods, and the adoption of POS at retail terminals fuel market growth.
- Several technologies, such as blockchain, IoT, AI, ML, and many more, act as significant catalysts for the market's growth. For instance, IoT increases connectivity and device penetration and stimulates embedded payments, disrupting the payments industry. For certain payment types, distributed ledger technology enables more cost-effective, secure, and in most commercial use cases, fully traceable money movement. When combined with blockchain, embedded IoT systems could function as decentralized credit-card processing platforms. This combination has already eroded the value of plastic cards by enabling a consumer's digital ID as a key for payment execution. Hence, the growth of these technologies is expected to boost the growth of the market studied.
- The growing e-commerce market is further influencing the growth of digital payment methods, stimulating the growth of payment processors globally. With an increase in online shoppers using mobile devices, the demand for mobile payment methods is expected to increase significantly over the coming years.
- The increase in international trade, internationalization of production, and cross-border e-commerce suggest that demand for digital cross-border payments will continue to grow globally. However, digital payments from one country to another might prove to be costlier, slower, and less transparent than domestic payments due to the complexity involved in the procedure. This might hinder the adoption of digital payments for cross-border transactions amongst regional enterprises, especially small and medium-sized businesses.
- Since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, the demand for digital payments has increased exponentially, owing to the growing demand for contactless payment methods. Even though these payment methods see prominent adoption and growth in Asian countries, the demand is expected to increase worldwide primarily because they are easy and inexpensive to implement. Post-pandemic also, the market is growing rapidly with the increased adoption of digital payments and e-commerce markets across the globe.
Payment Processor Industry Segmentation
The scope of the study analyzes the payments landscape globally to analyze the growth of payment processors across all geographies. A payment processing company acts as a bridge connecting the seller, buyer, and the banks and financial service providers to assist the sellers in accepting the gains made by the buyers and processing the amount to the seller's account while coordinating with the banks and the financial service providers. It accepts payments via different payment methods, such as credit/debit cards, mobile wallets/e-wallets, and many others.
The market covers the emerging trends in payment processing segmented by payment type adopted across different regions studied. The scope of the study is currently focused on key countries in regions such as North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
The study also incorporates the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the future growth prospect of the market.
The Payment Processor Market is Segmented by Type (Credit Cards, Debit Cards, e-Wallet Transactions) and Geography (North America (United States, Canada), Europe (United Kingdom, Germany, France, Rest of Europe), Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, South Korea, Rest of Asia Pacific), Rest of the World).
The market sizes and forecasts are provided in terms of value in USD million for all the above segments.
|Rest of the World|
Payment Processor Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Payment Processor Market according to our research experts:
Credit Card Segment is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share
- Credit card penetration is increasing globally, with massive growth in the circulation of credit cards. In the previous year's second Quarter, the number of Visa credit cards issued in the United States and worldwide was 369 million and 865 million cards.
- Major credit cards vendors, such as Visa, Master Card, and American Express, are increasingly spreading their presence in developing economies to enhance their market presence and share by offering attractive benefits. For instance, In February 2023, Visa Inc., one of the largest global payment processors, announced a partnership with payment and finance provider Tribal to extend its capabilities for small and medium-sized enterprises in Latin America and the Caribbean. Tribal, whose backers include SoftBank's Latin America Fund, provides credit cards and payment solutions to small companies in Latin America, including blockchain technology and stablecoins. Such trends are expected to aid in the growth of the market.
- According to the Reserve Bank of India, the value of credit card payments in the previous year was INR 9.7 Trillion (USD 0.12 Trillion). The persistent use of card payments can be ascribed to government measures to make India a cashless economy. The Indian digital payments sector is expected to reach USD one trillion by the end of the current year. The study also estimated this number to increase further due to the rising living standards in the country.
- Credit card processing companies act as major growth drivers in the payment ecosystem, with credit card payments set to remain the most significant in-store payment type by volume. Credit card transactions generate big payment data sent through a complex web of stakeholders, including card networks, issuers, and gateways, that help complete the transaction. Credit card processors support carefully and securely transmitting this data.
- There are two types of credit card processors front-end and back-end. Front-end processors ensure customers' funds are sufficient for transactions by routing transactions from merchants to the cardholder's bank to gain authorization. At the same time, back-end processors accept settlements from front-end processors and move the money to the merchants' issuing bank.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia Pacific is Expected to be the Fastest Growing Market
- The Asia Pacific is dominating other regions in terms of the adoption of online transactions. The major driving force for the rise of digital payment in China is widespread bank account ownership and smartphone ownership. Many Chinese citizens have at least two bank accounts, as the government provides subsidies for different benefits through different banks. Smartphones combined with bank accounts allowed users to link their accounts to their phones through an app easily.
- In August 2022, AsiaPay, one of the Asia Pacific leaders in digital payment solutions and technology, announced a new collaboration with TripleA, a MAS-licensed cryptocurrency payment gateway service provider in Singapore, to enable retailers to accept cryptocurrency payments. This agreement would provide businesses in Asia Pacific with access to a global bitcoin user market of 300 million or more. In 11 Asia Pacific nations, AsiaPay merchants can now accept cryptocurrencies at checkout via a single integrated payment interface, in addition to other prevalent payment methods such as cards, net banking, wallets, BNPL, and so on.
- India is also one of the fastest markets for payment processors. The Digital India program is a flagship program of the Government of India with a vision to transform India into a digitally empowered society. The Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) is working on strengthening the Digital Payment infrastructure and creating awareness through promotions of digital payments.
- According to the Reserve bank of India, In the fiscal year 2022, the volume of digital payments in the south Asian country of India exceeded INR 45 billion (USD 0.54 billion). This represented a huge rise over the previous fiscal year's worth of approximately INR 22 billion (USD 0.27 billion). Increased adoption of smart service applications and digital technology are the key drivers of the country's significant growth in digital payments.
- The studied market is also witnessing partnerships that are shaping the market landscape. In December 2022, Pine Labs, an omnichannel merchant commerce platform, has partnered with payments startup 2C2P to strengthen buy now pay later (BNPL) offerings in six Southeast Asian nations. Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Thailand would be included in the partnership. Cardholders of Pine Labs' partner issuing banks will be able to pay for their goods in installments during checkout owing to the collaboration. Cardholders would benefit from their pre-approved credit limit with no interest.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Payment Processor Industry Overview
The Payment Processor Market is highly fragmented with the precence of major players like PayPal Holdings Inc., Due Inc., Stripe, Adyen, and Square Inc. Players in the market are adopting strategies such as partnerships, mergers, innovations, and acquisitions to enhance their product offerings and gain sustainable competitive advantage.
- November 2022 - Adyen, one of the global financial technology platforms of choice for leading businesses, announced that Instacart, one of North America's largest grocery technology firms, has chosen the company as an additional payments processing partner.
- May 2022 - Mobiquity, a digital consultant and provider of digital products and services, has partnered with Stripe, a financial infrastructure platform provider, to provide customers with payment processing capabilities. Stripe would integrate its payment solutions with Mobiquity's user behavior and online engagement capabilities to provide clients with improved digital experiences.
Payment Processor Market Leaders
PayPal Holdings, Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Payment Processor Market News
- May 2022 - Visa, one of the leading global digital payment companies, announced a partnership with Fundbox, an integrated working capital platform for small businesses, to enhance Fundbox's platform with the power of digital payments. The Fundbox Flex Visa Debit Card, issued by Pathward, N.A., is the first stage in this relationship, and it helps small company clients better control their cash outflows.
- March 2022 - Mastercard and Zeta, a banking tech startup that provides next-generation credit card processing to banks and fintechs, established a 5-year global partnership. As part of the partnership, the companies would work together to launch credit cards with issuers all over the globe using Zeta's modern, cloud-native, and fully API-ready credit processing stack. Mastercard has emphasized collaboration by investing financially in Zeta.
Payment Processor Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.5 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 High Proliferation of Digital Initiatives Resulting in Higher Transaction Volume for Payment Processors
5.1.2 Growing Bargaining Leverage of Consumers With Buying Firms, Leading to Greater Focus on Enabling Seamless Transactions
5.1.3 Favorable Government Regulations Coupled with Key Innovations Playing a Key Role in Driving Credit/Debit Transactions
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Lack of a Standard Legislative Policy Across the Globe
5.2.2 Privacy and Security Concerns
5.3 Market Opportunities
5.3.1 Recent Changes in the Global Scenario Expected to Further Drive the Demand for Digital Transactions
5.3.2 Favorable Changes in the Overall Financial Service Infrastructure
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Type
6.1.1 Credit Cards
6.1.2 Debit Cards
6.1.3 e-Wallet Transactions
6.2 By Geography
6.2.1 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
6.2.3 Asia Pacific
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia Pacific
6.2.4 Rest of the World
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 PayPal Holdings Inc.
7.1.2 Due Inc.
7.1.5 Square Inc.
7.1.6 Flagship Merchant Services
7.1.7 Payline Data Services LLC
7.1.8 Paysafe Limited
7.1.9 First Data Corporation
7.1.10 Global Payments Inc.
7.1.12 CCBill LLC
7.1.14 Banwire SA de CV
7.1.15 Tutuka Software (Pty) Ltd
7.1.16 Galileo Financial Technologies LLC
7.1.17 Marqeta Inc
8. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Payment Processor Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Payment Processor Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Payment Processor Market?
The Payment Processor Market is growing at a CAGR of 10.7% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Payment Processor Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Payment Processor Market?
North America holds highest share in 2022.
Who are the key players in Payment Processor Market?
PayPal Holdings, Inc., Due Inc., Stripe, Adyen, Square Inc. are the major companies operating in Payment Processor Market.
Payment Processor Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Payment Processor market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Payment Processor analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.