|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The oriented strand board (OSB) market size was estimated at over 31 million cubic meters in 2021, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of more than 4% during the forecast period (2022-2027).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Owing to the pandemic scenario, the construction works were put on hold during the government-imposed lockdown, which led to a decrease in the consumption of oriented strand boards (OSB). However, construction related to the healthcare sector has been increased significantly due to the pandemic situation, and considering the post-COVID scenario, the overall construction industry is picking up the pace, which, in turn, stimulates the demand in the OSB market in the coming years.
- Over the short term, desirable properties of OSB and the growing prominence of OSB as a substitute to plywood are expected to drive the growth of the market studied.
- On the flipside, emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOCs), such as formaldehyde, are expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- The construction segment dominated the market with a share of more than 40%, and it is expected to grow at the fastest rate during the forecast period, owing to the increasing applications, such as floor and roof, walls, etc.
- Increasing application of OSB in structural insulated panels is likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
- North America dominated the market across the world, with the largest consumption from the United States.
Scope of the Report
Oriented strand board (OSB) is a strong, stiff structural wood-based panel product, which poses a cross-oriented pattern similar to plywood. OSB is characterized by its constituent strand elements, which vary in size and aspect ratio. The oriented strand board (OSB) market is segmented by grade, end-user application, and geography. By grade, the market is segmented into OSB/1, OSB/2, OSB/3, and OSB/4. By end-user application, the market is segmented into furniture, construction, and packaging. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the oriented strand board (OSB) market in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (meter cube).
Key Market Trends
Soaring Demand from the Construction Segment
- Wood-based panels are crucial to the construction industry, providing high structural durability to roofs and floors, walls, beams, doors, staircase, etc. OSB panels provide a stronger and stiffer panel than other products used in similar types of construction projects. The material eliminates rings and knots, which makes it more uniform. OSB is engineered to have strength and stiffness equivalent to plywood.
- Oriented strand boards are a cost-effective alternative for home construction. As per the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors (NACHI), OSB costs USD 700 less than plywood for a typical 2,400-square foot home.
- The building and construction industry is currently a thriving industry in several emerging economies of the Asia-Pacific region, while it has softened in countries of Europe, North America, and South America.
- China is promoting and undergoing a process of continuous urbanization, with a 60% rate targeted by 2020. The increased living spaces required in the urban areas, resulting from urbanization and the desire of middle-class urban residents to improve their living conditions, will have a profound effect on the housing market, and thereby, increase the usage of OSB in the furniture and construction applications.
- According to the US Census Bureau, in the United States, the construction industry was valued at USD 1,625,882 million as of November 2021.The residential sector was valued at about USD 796,308 million and the non-residential sector was valued at about USD 477,299 million, the United States is the one of the largest construction markets worldwide.
- Overall, the growing construction market across regions is expected to drive the OSB market through the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
United States to Dominate the Global Market
- The United States is one of the largest construction markets worldwide with expenditures reaching around USD 1.4 trillion. Construction in the commercial and housing markets seemed to be strong again in most parts of the country.
- While apartment construction remained elevated in the recent past, total spending is no longer climbing quickly. Single-family home construction slumped due to higher mortgage rates.
- According to the Engineered Wood Association (APA), the new home construction is the primary end use for the OSB industry in North America (especially the United States), accounting for more than 50% of the OSB consumption.
- In 2021, the annual value of total new residential construction put in place in the country was about USD 796,308 million. Commercial construction, by contrast, was red hot in several segments, including hotels, warehouses, and data centers.
- The US furniture market is the largest in the world, consisting of over 39,644 domestic and international businesses. Additionally, the growth in disposable income enabled more consumers to purchase new household furniture rather than readily available second-hand items.
- All the above mentioned factors, in turn, are boosting the demand in the OSB market in the country.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The oriented strand board (OSB) market is consolidated in nature, with the top five players accounting for a significant portion in the global market. Some of the major players in the market include West Fraser, Louisiana-Pacific Corporation, Kronoplus Limited, Georgia-Pacific Wood Products LLC , and Weyerhaeuser Company, among others.
- In February 2021, West Fraser announced the acquisition of all of the issued and outstanding common shares of Norbord, which led to strengthening the company's product portfolio.
- In March 2020, Huber Engineered Woods LLC announced the acquisition of assets from Extreme Green Building Products LLC based in Charlotte of North Carolina, which may further help in enhancing the company's business and increasing its product portfolio.
- In April, 2019, Kronospan announced to build an OSB production plant, with the capacity of about 280,000 m3 per year in Ukraine.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Report
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Desirable Properties of OSB
4.1.2 Growing Prominence of OSB, as a Substitute to Plywood
4.2.1 Emissions of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), such as Formaldehyde
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.3.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Volume)
5.1 By Grade
5.2 End-user Application
220.127.116.11 Floor and Roof
18.104.22.168 Column and Beam
22.214.171.124 Other Constructions
126.96.36.199 Food and Beverage
188.8.131.52 Other Packaging
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 Rest of North America
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
184.108.40.206 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.2 EGGER Group
6.3.3 Georgia-Pacific Wood Products LLC
6.3.4 Huber Engineered Woods LLC
6.3.5 Kronospan Limited
6.3.7 Louisiana-Pacific Corporation
6.3.8 Norbord Inc.
6.3.9 Produits Forestiers Arbec Inc.
6.3.10 RoyOMartin Lumber Company
6.3.11 Sonae Industria SGPS SA
6.3.12 Tolko Industries Ltd
6.3.13 Weyerhaeuser Company
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Increasing Application of OSB in Structural Insulated Panels (SIPS)
7.2 Recovering European Construction Industry
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market?
The Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market is growing at a CAGR of >4% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market?
Louisiana-Pacific Corporation, Kronoplus Limited, Weyerhaeuser Company, West Fraser, Georgia-Pacific Wood Products LLC are the major companies operating in Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market.