Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market Size
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|CAGR||> 4.00 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia-Pacific|
|Largest Market||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market Analysis
The oriented strand board (OSB) market is projected to register a CAGR of more than 4% during the forecast period.
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Owing to the pandemic scenario, the construction works were put on hold during the government-imposed lockdown, which led to a decrease in the consumption of oriented strand boards (OSB). However, construction related to the healthcare sector has increased significantly due to the pandemic situation, and considering the post-COVID scenario, the overall construction industry is picking up pace, which, in turn, stimulates the demand in the OSB market in the coming years.
- In the short term, the market is likely to grow because OSB has useful properties and is becoming more and more popular as a substitute for plywood.
- On the other hand, emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) like formaldehyde are likely to slow the growth of the market that was looked at.
- Increasing applications of OSB in structural insulated panels and the recovering European construction industry are likely to act as opportunities in the future.
- North America dominated the market across the world, with the largest consumption coming from the United States.
Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Oriented Strand Board Market according to our research experts:
Soaring Demand from the Construction Segment
- Wood-based panels are crucial to the construction industry, providing high structural durability to roofs and floors, walls, beams, doors, staircases, etc. OSB panels provide a stronger and stiffer panel than other products used in similar types of construction projects. The material eliminates rings and knots, which makes it more uniform. OSB is engineered to have strength and stiffness equivalent to plywood.
- Oriented strand boards are a cost-effective alternative for home construction. As per the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors (NACHI), OSB costs USD 700 less than plywood for a typical 2,400-square foot home.
- In several emerging economies in the Asia-Pacific region, the building and construction industry is doing well right now, while it has slowed down in countries in Europe, North America, and South America.
- China is promoting and undergoing a process of continuous urbanization, with a 60% rate targeted by 2020. Because of urbanization and the desire of middle-class urban residents to improve their living conditions, more living space will be needed in cities. This will have a big impact on the housing market and lead to more furniture and building projects that use OSB.
- As per the forecast given by the Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development, China's construction sector is expected to maintain a 6% share of the country's GDP going into 2025. Keeping in view the given forecasts, the Chinese government unveiled a five-year plan in January 2022 focused on making the construction sector more sustainable and quality-driven.
- The construction industry is India's second largest, and it makes up a big part of the country's GDP.During the spread of the pandemic, the Indian construction industry saw a big drop in growth. However, in 2021, both public and private investments in the sector went up sharply.In Q1 2022, the construction industry contributed USD 45,4 billion to the GDP, according to the Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation.
- According to the Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Censos (INDEC), construction activity increased by 0.4% in May 2022, compared to the previous month. The accumulated index for the first five months of 2022 of the original series index shows a rise of 6.3% compared to the same period in 2021. In Argentina, about 25% of the construction industry is occupied by the commercial sector and 75% by the residential sector.
- According to data from the US Census Bureau, between 2017 and 2021, the government spent a lot more on building homes for people.
Over the next few years, the OSB market is likely to be driven by the growing construction market in all regions.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America to Dominate the Global Market
- North America is one of the largest construction markets worldwide in which the United States has a benchmark of expenditures reaching around USD 1.4 trillion. Construction in the commercial and housing markets seemed to be strong again in most parts of the country.
- While apartment construction remained elevated in the recent past, total spending is no longer climbing quickly. Single-family home construction slumped due to higher mortgage rates.
- According to the Engineered Wood Association (APA), new home construction is the primary end use for the OSB industry in North America (especially the United States), accounting for more than 50% of the OSB consumption.
- The United States boasts a colossal construction sector that plays a prominent role in commercial, industrial, institutional, residential, infrastructure, energy, and utility construction. The construction spending during January 2022 was estimated at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of USD 1,677.2 billion. Further, construction spending in the United States rose 1.3% in February, as compared to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of USD 1.677 trillion in January of 2022.
- The building and construction sector is the backbone of the Mexican economy. The increasing urbanization and public income levels are fueling the demand for construction in the country. The government bodies are responsible for most of the funds (around 68%) provided to the housing sector in Mexico. The government agencies, such as CONAVI (National Housing Commission), INFONAVIT, FOVISSSTE, and CFE, have been supporting the growth of the housing sector in the country.
- The U.S. furniture market is the largest in the world, consisting of over 39,644 domestic and international businesses. Additionally, the growth in disposable income enabled more consumers to purchase new household furniture rather than readily available second-hand items.
- All the above mentioned factors, in turn, are boosting the demand in the OSB market in the region.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Industry Overview
The oriented strand board (OSB) market is consolidated in nature, with the top five players accounting for a significant portion of the global market. Some of the major players in the market include West Fraser, Louisiana-Pacific Corporation, Kronospan Limited, Georgia-Pacific Wood Products LLC, and Weyerhaeuser Company, among others.
Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market Leaders
Georgia-Pacific Wood Products LLC
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market News
- August 2022: Georgia-Pacific announced an investment of USD 40 million in its oriented strand board (OSB) facility in Alcolu, South Carolina. This move will expand the company's production capacity by 150 million square feet of OSD products.
- December 2021: West Fraser acquired an oriented strand board mill near Allendale, South Carolina. West Fraser's geographical production capacity will be expanded as a result of this strategic acquisition.
- February 2021: West Fraser announced the acquisition of all of the issued and outstanding common shares of Norbord, which led to the strengthening of the company's product portfolio.
Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Report
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Desirable Properties of OSB
4.1.2 Growing Prominence of OSB, as a Substitute to Plywood
4.2.1 Emissions of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), such as Formaldehyde
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.3.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Volume)
5.1 By Grade
5.2 End-user Application
126.96.36.199 Floor and Roof
188.8.131.52 Column and Beam
184.108.40.206 Other Constructions
220.127.116.11 Food and Beverage
18.104.22.168 Other Packaging
22.214.171.124 South Korea
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 Rest of North America
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Market Share (%)** Analysis
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.2 EGGER Group
6.3.3 Georgia-Pacific Wood Products LLC
6.3.4 Huber Engineered Woods LLC
6.3.5 Kronospan Limited
6.3.7 Louisiana-Pacific Corporation
6.3.8 Norbord Inc.
6.3.9 Produits Forestiers Arbec Inc.
6.3.10 RoyOMartin Lumber Company
6.3.11 Sonae Industria SGPS SA
6.3.12 Tolko Industries Ltd
6.3.13 Weyerhaeuser Company
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Increasing Application of OSB in Structural Insulated Panels (SIPS)
7.2 Recovering European Construction Industry
Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market Research FAQs
What is the current Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market size?
The Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market is projected to register a CAGR of greater than 4% during the forecast period (2023-2027).
Who are the key players in Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market?
Louisiana-Pacific Corporation, Weyerhaeuser Company, Georgia-Pacific Wood Products LLC, Kronospan Limited and West Fraser are the major companies operating in the Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market?
Asia-Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2027).
Which region has the biggest share in Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market?
In 2023, the North America accounts for the largest market share in the Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Market.
Oriented Strand Board Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Oriented Strand Board market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Oriented Strand Board analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.