South Africa Cosmetics & Personal Care Products Market Size
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
South Africa Cosmetics & Personal Care Products Market Analysis
The South African cosmetics and personal care products market is projected to register a CAGR of 6.62% over the upcoming five years.
- Growing population and rapid urbanization, along with the increase in per capita spending on personal care products, are contributing to the growth of the skincare market in the country. In addition, the increasing availability of affordable skincare products and the increasing working population in the country are also increasing the demand and supporting the skincare market growth.
- For instance, according to Statistics South Africa, in the first quarter of 2022, the number of women in South Africa of working age reached almost 20.2 million, while the number of men of working age reached roughly 19.8 million. This is marking a year-on-year change of 1.4% and 1.5% compared to the first quarter of 2021. Furthermore, the improving quality of life, the positive effects of skincare on self-esteem and social interaction, and the gradual consumer shift toward premium and luxury brands are a few factors that are likely to propel the market growth during the forecast period.
- Moreover, a significant increase in the demand for men’s grooming products, supported by the preference for multifunctional products, is driving the market’s growth. Additionally, increased consumer preference for natural and organic personal care and cosmetics products owing to the consumer's intention to avoid a few ingredients like parabens are likely to propel the growth of organic cosmetic products in the future. These products are positioned as high-quality and premium products and attract a wide range of consumers.
- Due to pollution and hard water conditions, the market is experiencing high demand for anti-aging products, like anti-wrinkle creams, face creams, serums, eye creams, and others. An increasing number of consumers in the market are becoming aware of pollution’s impact on the skin. Such factors are expected to drive and support the South African cosmetics and personal care products market growth during the forecast period.
South Africa Cosmetics & Personal Care Products Industry Segmentation
Personal care products are used to maintain personal hygiene, including cleaning, conditioning, and moisturizing. Consumers use cosmetics or makeup products to enhance their beauty.
The South African cosmetics and personal care market is segmented by product type and distribution channel. Based on product type, the market is segmented into personal care products and cosmetics/makeup products. The personal care products segment is further segmented into hair care products, skincare products, bath & shower products, oral care products, men's grooming products, and deodorants & antiperspirants. Similarly, cosmetic products are sub-segmented into facial cosmetics, eye cosmetics, and lip and nail makeup. Based on the distribution channel, the market is segmented into specialist retail stores, supermarkets/hypermarkets, convenience stores, pharmacies/drug stores, online retail channels, and other distribution channels.
For each segment, the market sizing and forecast have been done based on value (in USD million).
|Specialist Retail Stores|
|Online Retail Channels|
|Other Distribution Channels|
South Africa Cosmetics & Personal Care Products Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the South Africa Cosmetics & Personal Care Products Market according to our research experts:
Increasing Consumer Awareness About Skin Care Products
- There is a growing focus on improving living standards among South African consumers, driven by a surge in skin care product offerings and a growing urban population in the country. People in urban areas are prone to different pollution which damages the skin due to which people in the country are using skincare products to protect it. The market has grown in terms of value sales as a result of the simple accessibility of these skincare products through a variety of sales channels, including specialty shops, pharmacies, and beauty salons.
- Additionally, it is anticipated that there will be significant growth prospects due to the growing emphasis that male consumers are placing on skincare and grooming to improve their physical appearance and take better care of their skin. The grooming trend is aided by increased net spending in each household for skincare products in South Africa. In line with this trend, players in the market are also introducing new products to capture the market demand.
- For instance, in November 2022, a Local couple launched FACE for Him, a new premium skincare range it claimed was designed for local men looking for simple yet effective skincare. Stuart, the founder of Local couple, and Camilla Berry claimed that they saw a gap in the market and decided to launch South Africa’s first skincare range for men.
- Moreover, social media is spreading more awareness about the importance of skincare and personal care products and aided in gaining more traction, with consumers’ inclination toward global fashion and beauty trends. The rising consumer awareness, supported by the surging purchasing power of local consumers, is boosting the demand for skin care products made of natural ingredients. This is giving rise to local manufacturers like Marula offering skin care products through different online platforms like Lulu to reach their customers efficiently. Such developments in the country are expected to augment the overall market growth during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Increasing Demand for Anti-aging Cosmetics
- The strong desire among individuals to retain a youthful appearance has been a significant factor supporting the South African skincare industry. The country's anti-aging products market is driven by the older generation's increased awareness of these products for the body and skin. Many elderly people use anti-aging cosmetic products to maintain a youthful appearance.
- For instance, according to Statistics South Africa, as of 2022, South Africa's population increased, counting approximately 60.6 million inhabitants. Of these, 5.6 million people are above 60 years of age. Furthermore, anti-aging cosmetics are expected to be adopted due to increased events, seminars, and campaigns about beauty and personal care products. Such factors in the country led to robust demand for anti-aging products that help prevent wrinkles, age spots, dry skin, uneven skin tone, and hair damage, creating room for innovations in the cosmetics industry.
- In line with this demand, many players are interested in catering to the demand for these products by establishing their presence in the country. For instance, in November 2022, Drunk Elephant, a brand that offers various skin care products, including products that support anti-aging functions, announced that it is set to debut in the South African market via an authorized distributor. Drunk Elephant claims that it is committed to creating effective, cruelty-free, and vegan skincare products.
- Moreover, numerous cross-over products with multi-functional properties have emerged under the natural beauty trend. These offer the dual functionality of makeup as well as wrinkle care to help people protect their natural skin. Such products are expected to gain popularity during the forecast period.
South Africa Cosmetics & Personal Care Products Industry Overview
The South African cosmetics and personal care market is competitive, with a strong presence of regional and global players in the market, where demand is mainly driven by more adaptation toward skincare routines and consumer awareness about brand know-how. The key players are embarking on merger and acquisition and product innovation as their key strategies to achieve consolidation and optimize offerings. Moreover, these players merge with local players and distributors to dominate local markets. Brand value plays a major role in driving the sales of cosmetic products, as consumers develop an affinity toward cosmetic brands and beauty products. The South African cosmetics and personal care products market is dominated by Unilever, followed by Procter & Gamble, Avon, L'Oréal SA, and other major players. Unilever continues to lead the market with new product launches and aggressive expansion strategies.
South Africa Cosmetics & Personal Care Products Market Leaders
Unilever South Africa
Procter & Gamble
The Estée Lauder Companies
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
South Africa Cosmetics & Personal Care Products Market News
- June 2022: Bulldog Skincare, a British male grooming brand, announced the official launch of its products in South Africa. As a result of its introduction of a range of products designed specifically for male skin types, the beloved brand has taken the market by storm with affordable products made with high-quality natural ingredients.
- August 2021: The fashion house Hermès expanded its horizons into the beauty industry by launching a new collection of nail lacquers in South Africa- following the launch of its popular lipsticks and blushes.
- March 2021: L’Oréal inaugurated its new Research & Innovation Center to study African hair and skin specificities and sub-Saharan consumers' beauty routines and expectations. The Research & Innovation Center in South Africa is the Group’s 7th R&I hub globally, which hosts product development, evaluation, and advanced research teams.
South Africa Cosmetics & Personal Care Products Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Personal Care Products
126.96.36.199 Hair Care Products
188.8.131.52.3 Hair Styling and Coloring Products
184.108.40.206.4 Other Hair Care Products
220.127.116.11 Skincare Products
18.104.22.168.1 Facial Care Products
22.214.171.124.2 Body Care Products
126.96.36.199.3 Lip Care Products
188.8.131.52 Bath and Shower
184.108.40.206.1 Shower Gels
220.127.116.11.3 Bath Salts
18.104.22.168.4 Other Bath and Shower Products
22.214.171.124 Oral Care
126.96.36.199 Men's Grooming Products
188.8.131.52 Deodorants and Antiperspirants
5.1.2 Cosmetics Products
184.108.40.206 Facial Cosmetics
220.127.116.11 Eye Cosmetic Products
18.104.22.168 Lip Cosmetic Products
22.214.171.124 Nail Cosmetic Products
5.2 Distribution Channel
5.2.1 Specialist Retail Stores
5.2.3 Convenience Stores
5.2.4 Pharmacies/Drug Stores
5.2.5 Online Retail Channels
5.2.6 Other Distribution Channels
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Procter & Gamble
6.3.2 L'Oreal SA
6.3.3 Colgate-Palmolive Company
6.3.4 The Estée Lauder Companies
6.3.6 Adcock Ingram (Lulu & Marula)
6.3.7 Revlon Consumer Products Corporation
6.3.8 AVI (Indigo Brands Pty Ltd)
6.3.9 Avon Products Inc.
6.3.10 Genome Cosmetics LLC (ObeyYourBody)
6.3.11 Hermes International S.A.
6.3.12 Bulldog Skincare Holdings Limited
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
South Africa Cosmetics & Personal Care Products Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The South Africa Cosmetics and Personal Care Products Market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of South Africa Cosmetics and Personal Care Products Market?
The South Africa Cosmetics and Personal Care Products Market is growing at a CAGR of 6.62% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in South Africa Cosmetics and Personal Care Products Market?
Colgate-Palmolive Company, Unilever South Africa, Procter & Gamble, L'Oréal SA, The Estée Lauder Companies are the major companies operating in South Africa Cosmetics and Personal Care Products Market.
South Africa Cosmetics and Personal Care Products Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 South Africa Cosmetics and Personal Care Products market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. South Africa Cosmetics and Personal Care Products analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.
South Africa Cosmetics and Personal Care Products Report Snapshots
- South Africa Cosmetics and Personal Care Products Market Size
- South Africa Cosmetics and Personal Care Products Market Share
- South Africa Cosmetics and Personal Care Products Market Trends
- South Africa Cosmetics and Personal Care Products Companies
- South Africa Cosmetics and Personal Care Products News