North America Confectionery Market Size
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
North America Confectionery Market Analysis
The North American confectionery market is expected to register a CAGR of 5.12% during the forecast period.
- Among confectionery, candies are one of the most popular products among the youth and kids across North America. Thus, key players operating in the market are continuously differentiating their offerings to entice the target consumers. With an increasing demand for confectionery among consumers, companies have started to launch products with different flavors, such as mango, strawberry, coconut, coffee, cinnamon, banana, and blue raspberry, among others.
- Moreover, innovations in confectionery products have focused on addressing health concerns related to candy consumption, such as diabetes. Major players in the market are creating sugar-free, GMO-free, gluten-free, and vegan candies to attract health-conscious customers. For instance, in February 2022, a USDA-certified Organic Lollipop line was launched by Original Gourmet. In addition to being GMO-free, these pops are gluten-free, peanut-free, vegan, and made with 100% organic ingredients.
- However, high sugar content related to obesity is a severe concern among North American consumers. Consumers are looking for healthier options, such as low-calorie, high-cocoa, and functional ingredient-based confectionery. Functional claim on confectionery product labels is growing rapidly.
- Increasing health awareness and obesity instances in North America have led to dramatic growth in the sales of low calories and sugar-free confectionery products. Consumers do not mind spending extra on high-quality products that meet their requirements.
North America Confectionery Industry Segmentation
The North American confectionery market is segmented by product type, distribution channel, and geography. Based on product type, the market is segmented into chocolate, sugar confectionery, and snack bars. The chocolate is further segmented into milk/white chocolate and dark chocolate. The sugar confectionery section is further segmented into boiled sweets, toffees, caramels and nougat, pastilles, gums, jellies and chews, mints, and others. Snack bars comprise cereal bars, energy bars, and other snack bars. Based on distribution channels, the market is segmented into supermarkets and hypermarkets, convenience stores, online retail stores, specialist retailers, and other distribution channels. Also, the study provides an analysis of the confectionery market in emerging and established markets across the region, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, and the rest of North America. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of value (in USD million).
|Online Retail Stores|
|Rest of North America|
North America Confectionery Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the North America Confectionery Market according to our research experts:
Inclination Towards Healthier and Organic Confectionery
- In response to consumer demand for healthier snacks, giant companies have chosen a significant strategy that focuses on convenience, taste, and healthier snacks. The demand for organic chocolate is increasing nowadays as it does not consist of any added chemicals which can cause severe health issues.
- Consumers are now preferring vegan, organic, gluten-free, and sugar-free chocolates as they are conscious about their health and wellness. Thus, various giant confectionery companies are introducing the latest innovative flavored chocolates with innovative packaging that lets consumers consume in small portions and preserve the rest for later.
- The increase in exports of organic chocolates is also expected to drive the demand for the organic-based confectionery market. Additionally, owing to the rise in demand for healthy confectionery in North America, different players have been launching products to suit the preferences of the consumers.
- For instance, in August 2022, Mondelēz launched Hu Organic Grass-Fed Milk Chocolate. The product is sweetened with organic unrefined coconut sugar. The milk chocolate confection comes in five flavors: Simple, Cashew Butter, Crunchy Almond + Coconut Flakes, Hazelnut Butter + Crunchy Hazelnut, and Almond Butter.
- Major companies are expanding their range of products by including functional ingredients, tropical fruit, and various flavor fillings, nut-based and exotic flavors in organic chocolates to fulfill changing customer demands, and this consecutively accelerates the confectionery market across the region.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
United States Holds Major Share in the Market
- The market has witnessed significant growth, as premium chocolate is popular in the United States. People in the country prefer treating themselves with bite-sized chocolates to limit their confectionary consumption. Furthermore, chocolate fits pleasantly with the 'clean eating' trend in the country. Since dark chocolate was found to have numerous health benefits, consumers are opting for premium dark chocolates to have a guilt-free experience.
- Hershey's and Mars are among a few brands continuously expanding their offerings in the dark chocolate category. The Cocoa Exchange brand of Mars offers the 'Dove Signature Collection' and 'Pure Dark' range of premium chocolates in the country.
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada predicted that countlines (particularly confectionery) would continue to dominate the market for chocolate confectionery in the United States, with estimated retail sales of USD 7 billion in 2021. Chocolate pouches and bags were anticipated to be the second-highest category, with a value of USD 5.5 billion.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
North America Confectionery Industry Overview
The North American confectionery market is fragmented among domestic and multinational players, with the latter accounting for the dominant share. Mars, Inc., Mondelēz International, Inc., Nestlé S.A., Ferrero, and The Hershey Company are the leading players in the North American confectionery market. Companies are implementing numerous strategies such as new product development, partnerships, merger, and acquisitions to provide innovative products and expand their product portfolio to meet the growing demand across the region. Due to the high market potential, market players have been taking advantage of the opportunities in the North American confectionery market. For example, in October 2021, Ferrero North America expanded its chocolate manufacturing center in Bloomington, Illinois. This was Ferrero’s first facility outside Europe.
North America Confectionery Market Leaders
Mondelēz International, Inc.
The Hershey Company
Ferrero International S.A.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
North America Confectionery Market News
- June 2022: Mars, Inc., released its first vegan milk chocolate bar in the United States under the new brand CO2COA. The brand was created in collaboration with Perfect Day, a food-technology company that supplies Mars with the animal-free whey used in CO2COA's first vegan milk chocolate bar.
- March 2022: Nestlé USA invested USD 675 million in building the Arizona factory, creating 350 jobs. Nestlé's investment strengthens its market position and enhances its manufacturing capabilities to meet increased consumer demand for its products.
- January 2022: Yildiz Holding's GODIVA, a brand that offers gourmet chocolates, announced its plans to expand its licensing portfolio in the United States and Canada markets with the launch of four new licensing partnerships. The four new licensing partners included Boardwalk Frozen Treats, Jimmy's Gourmet Bakery, Le Vian, and Cookies United.
North America Confectionery Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Defination
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
22.214.171.124 Milk/White Chocolate
126.96.36.199 Dark Chocolate
5.1.2 Sugar Confectionery
188.8.131.52 Boiled Sweets
184.108.40.206 Toffees, Caramels and Nougat
220.127.116.11 Pastilles, Gums, Jellies and Chews
5.1.3 Snack Bar
18.104.22.168 Cereal Bars
22.214.171.124 Energy Bars
126.96.36.199 Other Snack Bars
5.2 Distribution Channel
5.2.1 Supermarkets/HypermarketsSpecialist Retailers
5.2.2 Convenience Stores
5.2.3 Online Retail Stores
5.2.4 Specialist Retailers
5.3.1 United States
5.3.4 Rest of North America
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Mondelēz International, Inc.
6.3.2 Mars, Incorporated
6.3.3 Nestlé S.A.
6.3.4 Ferrero International S.A.
6.3.5 Meiji Holdings Company, Ltd.
6.3.6 The Hershey Company
6.3.7 Lotte Corporation
6.3.8 Grupo Bimbo, S.A.B. de C.V.
6.3.9 Lake Champlain Chocolates
6.3.10 Yildiz Holding A.S.
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
North America Confectionery Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The North America Confectionery Market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of North America Confectionery Market?
The North America Confectionery Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.12% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in North America Confectionery Market?
Mars, Incorporated, Mondelēz International, Inc., Nestlé S.A., The Hershey Company, Ferrero International S.A. are the major companies operating in North America Confectionery Market.
North America Confectionery Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 North America Confectionery market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. North America Confectionery analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.