|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The nanofiber market is valued at USD 700.33 million and is expected to register a CAGR of around 17.5% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
COVID-19 has created instability in the nanofiber market across the globe. The lockdowns and restrictions imposed by the governments in several countries have led to a reduction in demand for nanofibers in various end-user industries. In Q1 2020, the total global production of motor vehicles was 55,091 units which are 29.3% lower than Q1 2019, which stood at 77,951 units. The motor vehicle production in Q2, 2020 was 99,414 units that are 39.5% lower compared to Q2 2019, which was around 164,423 units. A similar negative impact has been seen in other end-user industries such as aerospace and defense, chemicals, etc. However, on the other hand, nanofibers are used in the manufacturing of face masks. With the increase in the application of face masks amid pandemic, the companies have also announced to increase their production, due to which the demand for nanofiber has been increased. For instance, since January 2020, 3M doubled the production of N95 respirators to 1.1 billion per year at its global manufacturing facilities, including in Asia, Europe, and the United States. 3M also announced to double its capacity again to 2 billion per year within the next 12 months.
- Over the long term, the major factor driving the growth of the market studied is the increasing demand from the medical and pharmaceutical industries.
- On the flip side, the difficulty in a shift of carbon nanofibers from lab scale to plant scale due to small size and complexity and the lack of sensitive instrumentation to calibrate properties of nanofibers is one of the major stumbling blocks in the growth of the studied market.
- The water and filtration application segment dominated the market. While, medical segment is expected to witness the fastest CAGR owing to the growing application in the field of medical, pharmaceuticals, and life science and the increasing investments in the healthcare industry, especially in the Asia-Pacific and the Middle Eastern countries.
- The increasing R&D and high-potential market for cellulosic nanofibers are likely to provide opportunities for the studied market during the forecast period.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the world, where the demand for nanofibers is majorly driven by the increasing application and demand from industries, such as electronics, energy, aerospace, healthcare, and defense.
Scope of the Report
Nanofibers are defined as fibers with diameters of less than 1000 nanometers. The market is segmented by product type, end-user industry, and geography. By product type, the market is segmented into Carbon Nanofiber, Composite Nanofiber, Metal and Metal Oxides Nanofiber, Polymeric Nanofiber, Carbohydrate Based Nanofiber and Ceramic Nanofibers. By application, the market is segmented into Water and Air Filtration, Automotive and Transportation, Textiles, Medical, Electronics, Energy Storage, and Other Applications. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the nanofibers market in 11 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of revenue (USD million).
|Metal and Metal Oxides Nanofiber|
|Carbohydrate Based Nanofiber|
|Water and Air Filtration|
|Automotive and Transportation|
Key Market Trends
Water and Filtration Segment to Dominate the Market Demand
- Electrospun nanofiber-based filter media possess a high ratio of surface/volume, low-pressure drop, good interconnectivity of voids, and controllable connectivity and morphology, rendering them desirable to achieve excellent filtering. Owing to these factors, nanofibers are used in High efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters.
- HEPA filters are used in industrial applications for keeping a designated environment free of particulate contaminants, such as a clean room. In most countries, HEPA filters need to meet stringent requirements.
- The US Department of Energy (DOE) standards state that a HEPA filter needs to remove at least 99.97% of airborne particles which are 0.3 µm in diameter, among other requirements.
- The European standard has different classes of HEPA with specific requirements. Electrospun filter membrane is known for its high filtration efficiency and performance which makes it potentially suitable for HEPA filter.
- Additionally, in the recent past, nanofibers synthesized from metal oxide semiconductors have been actively explored in numerous chemical and gas sensing applications, including in the detection of air quality, inspection of toxic and inflammable gases, and monitoring of environment. These nanofibers are capable of detecting various reducing and oxidizing gases in a quick time span.
- While the typical N95 masks are made using polypropylene fibers, several startups have been indulging in making face masks using electrospun nanofibers post the COVID-19 pandemic. Masks made using nanofibers capture aerosol droplets better while providing additional breathability.
- However, the usage of nanofiber masks is still very low in comparison to regular N95 masks.
- Nanofibers are also used in the water treatment sector as the scaffold for TFC (thin-film composite) membranes in the pressure and osmotic membrane processes. Additionally, they are also used in the thermally-driven MD (membrane distillation) process for water treatment.
- Hence, all such market trends are expected to drive nanofibers' demand for water and filtration applications during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific dominated the global market share. The increasing demand from industries like the healthcare, aerospace and defense, energy, and automotive industries has been driving the growth of the studied market.
- The Chinese healthcare industry is the second-largest industry globally after the United States, and it registered a revenue of USD 1.1 trillion in 2019. China is expected to have 25% of global healthcare industry revenue share by 2030. This is expected to increase the demand for nanofiber composites for drug delivery, tissue engineering, stem cell therapy, cancer therapy, and wound healing.
- Additionally, China has one of the largest wound dressings markets in the Asia-Pacific region, and it is expected to register a CAGR of 6.70% over the next five years. China has many domestic and international wound management companies involved in wound dressings, such as Chinamed and Exciton Technologies. Most of them are located around the major cities of the country, such as Shanghai and Guangzhou.
- The Chinese automotive industry is the largest in the world. The industry witnessed a slowdown in 2018, wherein the production and sales declined. A similar trend continued, with production witnessing a 7.5% decline in 2019. Additionally, the production volume reached 25.23 million vehicles in 2020, registering a decline rate of about 2% compared to 2019. The decline in production has negatively affected the demand for nanofiber in China during 2020.
- Healthcare has become one of India’s largest sectors. The country’s health care spending as a percentage of GDP is growing rapidly, owing to the government’s focus on improving healthcare recently. India is also one of the famous destinations of medical tourism owing to its cheap and quality healthcare, and it has also been experiencing high growth.
- Additionally, the healthcare segment in India has also been growing and may boost the demand for market studied in the country. The healthcare sector in the country is expected to reach USD 372 billion by 2022, mainly driven by increasing health awareness, access to insurance, rising income, and diseases. The world’s largest government funded healthcare scheme, Ayushman Bharat, was launched in September 2018, augmenting the market demand for different applications during the forecast period
- Hence, all such prevailing market trends are expected to drive the demand in the nanofiber market in the region during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The nanofiber market is a partially fragmented market, where numerous players hold an insignificant share of the market to affect the market dynamics individually. Some of the noticeable players in the market include eSpin Technologies Inc., Teijin Limited, TORAY INDUSTRIES INC., Hollingsworth and Vose Company, and NIPPON PAPER INDUSTRIES CO. LTD., among others.
- In December 2020, Nippon Paper Industries created the CELLENPIA product line using cellulose nanofiber (CNF) and intermediates.
- In February 2020, SPUR AS developed a special nano-material that meets the standards needed for the production of medical face-masks effective for collecting the coronavirus. This material has a high virus filtration efficiency (70 – 95%), while the pressure drop is very low (45 – 85 Pa).
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Demand from the Medical and Pharmaceutical Industries
4.1.2 Positive Impact in Demand for Face masks and PPE Kits due to COVID-19
4.2.1 Difficulty in Shift of Carbon Nanofibers from Lab Scale to Plant Scale due to Small Size and Complexity
4.2.2 Negative Impact of COVID-19 on Other End-use Industries of Nanofiber
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Technology Snapshot
4.6 Patent Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Carbon Nanofiber
5.1.2 Composite Nanofiber
5.1.3 Metal and Metal Oxides Nanofiber
5.1.4 Polymeric Nanofiber
5.1.5 Carbohydrate Based Nanofiber
5.1.6 Ceramic Nanofiber
5.2.1 Water and Air Filtration
5.2.2 Automotive and Transportation
5.2.6 Energy Storage
5.2.7 Other Applications
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 Rest of the World
22.214.171.124 South America
126.96.36.199 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers, Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis**/ Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Applied Sciences Inc.
6.4.2 Argonide Corporation
6.4.3 CHUETSU PULP & PAPER CO. LTD
6.4.4 Donaldson Company Inc.
6.4.6 Esfil Tehno AS
6.4.7 eSpin Technologies Inc.
6.4.8 Hollingsworth & Vose Company
6.4.9 IREMA-Filter GmbH
6.4.10 Japan Vilene Company Ltd
6.4.12 Merck KgAA
6.4.13 Nanofiber Solutions
6.4.14 NanoLayr Limited
6.4.15 NANOVAL GmbH & Co. KG
6.4.16 NIPPON PAPER INDUSTRIES CO. LTD
6.4.17 PARDAM s.r.o.
6.4.18 SAPPI LTD
6.4.19 SNC Fibers
6.4.20 SPUR AS
6.4.21 TEIJIN LIMITED
6.4.22 TORAY INDUSTRIES INC.
6.4.23 US Global Nanospace Inc.
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Increasing R&D and High-potential Market for Cellulosic Nanofibers
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Nanofiber Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Nanofiber Market?
The Nanofiber Market is growing at a CAGR of 17.5% over the next 5 years.
What is Nanofiber Market size in 2016?
The Nanofiber Market is valued at 700 Million USD in 2016.
Which region has highest growth rate in Nanofiber Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Nanofiber Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Nanofiber Market?
eSpin Technologies Inc., Teijin Limited, TORAY INDUSTRIES, INC. , NIPPON PAPER INDUSTRIES CO., LTD., Hollingsworth & Vose Company are the major companies operating in Nanofiber Market.