Mobile Mapping Systems Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Market Size (2023)||USD 35.5 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 87.70 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||19.83 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia-Pacific|
|Largest Market||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Mobile Mapping Systems Market Analysis
The Mobile Mapping Systems Market size is expected to grow from USD 35.50 billion in 2023 to USD 87.70 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 19.83% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
The rapid acceptance of satellite mapping technology and its seamless integration into smartphones and Internet of Things (IoT)-connected devices are driving the market's growth.
Smart cities rapidly expanded due to increased urbanization and supported government initiatives worldwide. A smart city can only exist with a 3D map. With the support of 3D city modeling, autonomous navigation, traffic, disaster management, digitizing roadway property, and pollution reduction, mobile mapping technology for smart cities aims to improve quality of life by optimizing resources and maintaining sustainability. Smartphone and internet usage played critical roles in data management and access.
Further, mobile navigation geographic information system (GIS) for environmental monitoring is increasingly used in monitoring the environment. Environmental researchers are employing mobile mapping GIS tools to help with storm and hurricane forecasting and monitoring. The NASA-funded research project on ecological monitoring and natural resource management drives revenue growth in the mobile mapping sector.
Mobile mapping systems are used for various applications, including developing indoor maps for pedestrian navigation, high-definition (HD) maps for autonomous vehicles, asset and infrastructure management, ariel surveys, pipeline surveys, hydrographic surveys, dredging, and offshore positioning/drilling operations.
The emergence of on-demand deployment systems is an inflection point in the mobile mapping market, as high levels of flexibility and accuracy at low initial costs are offered (users are charged on a monthly/quarterly basis). Companies offer subscription-based models to counter the need for perpetual user licenses.
The COVID-19 pandemic resulted in a rapid restructuring of the IT industry, with firms shifting to remote labor. During the pandemic, the mobile mapping market grew considerably. Several businesses and agencies used mobile mapping data for visualization and geospatial analytics to restrict the spread of the disease. Dashboards were used to display geospatial data. Some of these dashboards and applications received data changes in near-real time.
Mobile Mapping Systems Market Trends
Imaging Services Segment to Dominate the Market
- Satellite imagery and GIS systems enable security and law enforcement agencies to identify hot spots and other trends and patterns for crime mapping. Accurate detection of spatial concentrations of crime and timely mapping of crime locations help law enforcement identify the concentration of crimes in space and time, thus providing important information for crime reduction efforts.
- Such imagery helps provide efficiency and speed of analysis in this application, allowing analysts to overlay other datasets, such as census demographics and locations of stores, banks, and schools. This helps security department administrators understand the underlying causes of crime and devise strategies. These strategies include allocating police officers and dispatching them to emergencies.
- However, there is an increase in demand for advanced remote sensing techniques, which can provide color and panchromatic image processing services along with the ability to sharpen the image with data fusion, enhancements, georeferencing, mosaicing, and color and grayscale balancing.
- Furthermore, current developments in the market studied aim to monitor water bodies. For instance, the challenge of illegal fishing and trafficking led to the need to find anomalies in the oceans. According to Nature Ecology & Evolution researchers, illegal fishing may constitute up to 30% of the total fisheries in some regions, such as the western and central Pacific oceans.
- The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) statistics highlight the global impact of unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing. Global IUU fishing is estimated to represent up to 26 million metric tons of fish caught annually (equivalent to USD 10 billion-USD 23 billion). DigitalGlobe and Planet collaborated on one such project to identify illicit activities. The partnership aims to spot illegal transshipments of fisheries.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia Pacific to Register Fastest Growth
- The market in Asia-Pacific is expected to expand at a significant rate during the forecast period. Increasing government initiatives for satellite imaging are attracting investment from foreign and domestic players, along with product launches, which are driving the market's growth in the region.
- In March 2022, Emesent, an Australia-based independent drone mapping business, announced the release of its latest Hovermap ST autonomous drone LiDAR mapping and surveying payload. Emesent's LiDAR payloads use a technology known as simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM), in which a drone produces a map while simultaneously localizing itself inside that map.
- The fast GDP expansion in Asia-Pacific countries led to infrastructure modernization programs such as mass public transit networks and innovative city projects, increasing demand for mobile mapping technologies.
- Yinchuan, China, is one of the region's most advanced smart cities, with practically all infrastructure linked into a single system. For instance, the Fonda platform used in Yinchuan smart city combines a 3D map to locate the nodes and lamps in the latest map and integrates various other applications. Moreover, market players in the region are launching innovative solutions.
- For instance, in June 2022, Grab Holdings Limited announced the introduction of GrabMaps. This new enterprise solution enables the firm to capitalize annually on the USD 1.0 billion market potential for mapping and location-based services in Southeast Asia. GrabMaps was first established for internal usage to answer Grab's demand for a more hyperlocal solution to power its operations.
- Rapid mobile device manufacturing has significantly decreased the cost of scanners, cameras, and other components, making location-based services more affordable for SMEs and private individuals.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Mobile Mapping Systems Industry Overview
The growing presence of big players in the mobile mapping industry is expected to intensify competitive rivalry during the forecast period. Incumbents, such as Google Inc., Javad GNSS Inc., Mitsubishi Corporation, Trimble, and Topcon Corporation. Large companies are expending significant resources on R&D operations to protect their position and drive innovation in the market. High barriers to exit, growing levels of firm concentration, and market penetration are some of the significant characteristics influencing the competition in the market. Overall, the intensity of competitive rivalry remains moderately high, mainly driven by the strong presence of players involved in the market studied.
In September 2022, Drivewyze, the connected truck services provider and operator of North America's largest public-private weigh station bypass network, announced real-time, in-cab traffic alerts in collaboration with INRIX, a transportation analytics and connected vehicle services provider, and the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission. Pennsylvania joins Ohio, New Jersey, and North Carolina in providing in-state alerts that offer audio and visual indicators of upcoming traffic delays, congestion, and incidents.
In May 2022, Leica Geosystems, part of Hexagon, announced the introduction of the reality capture mobile mapping system Leica Pegasus TRK, introducing artificial intelligence, autonomous workflows, and long-range mobile mapping for applications in asset management, road construction, critical infrastructure, oil, gas, and electricity industries. The system is ideal for creating high-definition base maps for autonomous vehicles.
Mobile Mapping Systems Market Leaders
Google LLC (Alphabet Inc.)
Javad GNSS Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Mobile Mapping Systems Market News
- November 2022:Topcon invested in the future of construction with donations to TU Dublin. Ireland's first technological university will enhance students' experiences with education on the latest digital construction methods.
- October 2022: Javad GNSS Inc. announced various innovative GNSS products for geospatial applications. Some key products include the TRIUMPH-1M Plus and T3-NR smart antennas, which use updated modules for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, UHF, and power management, bringing the latest satellite tracking technology into the geospatial portfolio.
Mobile Mapping Systems Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry
4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Integration with All Kinds of Vehicles
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 High Cost of System Acquisition and Deployment
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Application
6.1.1 Imaging Services
6.1.2 Aerial Mobile Mapping
6.1.3 Emergency Response Planning
6.1.4 Internet Applications
6.1.5 Facility Management
6.2 By End-user Verticals
6.2.2 Oil and Gas
6.2.5 Other End-user Verticals
6.3 By Geography
6.3.1 North America
6.3.3 Asia Pacific
6.3.4 Latin America
6.3.5 Middle East and Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Google LLC (Alphabet Inc.)
7.1.2 Leica Geosystems AG (Hexagon Geosystems)
7.1.3 Trimble Inc.
7.1.4 Topcon Corporation
7.1.5 NovAtel Inc.
7.1.6 Javad GNSS Inc.
7.1.7 Teledyne Optech
7.1.8 Mitsubishi Corporation
7.1.9 Imajing SAS
7.1.10 TomTom International BV
7.1.11 Cyclomedia Technology BV
7.1.12 INRIX Inc.
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OPPORTUNITIES
Mobile Mapping Systems Market Research FAQs
How big is the Mobile Mapping Systems Market?
The Mobile Mapping Systems Market size is expected to reach USD 35.5 billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 19.83% to reach USD 87.70 billion by 2028.
What is the current Mobile Mapping Systems Market size?
In 2023, the Mobile Mapping Systems Market size is expected to reach USD 35.5 billion.
Who are the key players in Mobile Mapping Systems Market?
Google LLC (Alphabet Inc.), Trimble Inc., Topcon Corporation, Mitsubishi Corporation and Javad GNSS Inc. are the major companies operating in the Mobile Mapping Systems Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Mobile Mapping Systems Market?
Asia-Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Mobile Mapping Systems Market?
In 2023, the North America accounts for the largest market share in the Mobile Mapping Systems Market.
Mobile Mapping Systems Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Mobile Mapping Systems market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Mobile Mapping Systems analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.