Mobile Crane Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||North America|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Mobile Crane Market Analysis
The Mobile Crane market was valued at USD 16.72 billion in 2021, and it is expected to reach USD 24.17 billion by 2027, registering a CAGR of 6.34% during the forecast period (2022-2027).
The COVID-19 pandemic had a mild impact on the mobile cranes market. Initially, many construction and infrastructure sites across the world, which are major business sites for cranes, were shut down due to the lockdown orders of governments. However, in some regions, as mining activities were declared essential and running through the lockdown, the business opportunity for mobile cranes still survived.
Over medium-term, rising infrastructural development projects and high-level investments by construction companies drive demand for mobile cranes during the forecast period. The development of advanced machinery with eco-friendly features and further growing adoption of advanced technologies like fleet management, GPS tracking, and others are likely to augment the market's growth.
Additionally, the increasing preference of construction and heavy equipment companies to use rental or lease services and inclination towards used equipment for their operations is bound to hinder the new equipment-producing OEMs.
The Asia Pacific is likely to hold a majority share of the global construction spending by the mid-term, primarily driven by the growth in infrastructure development in China and India. The increased flexibility in small-sized and medium-sized projects in the Asia region to further contribute to demand in the market over forecast period. Growing government funding and the active presence of key manufacturers across North America and Europe to further enhance the growth of the market.
Mobile Crane Industry Segments
A mobile crane is wheeled, and a self-propelled vehicle is operated with either cable or controlled with a hydraulic-powered telescopic boom crane. In addition, a mobile crane is equipped with outriggers and stabilizers, which are its potential leg ends extended from the side and allow for greater working radii to help the crane operator lift heavy loads effectively.
The Mobile crane market is segmented by Machine type, Application type, and Geography. On the basis of machine type, the market is segmented into mobile cranes, fixed cranes, and marine and port cranes. On the basis of application type, the market is segmented into construction, mining and excavation, marine and offshore, industrial applications, and other applications.
On the basis of geography, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the Rest of the World. For each segment, market sizing and forecast have been done on the basis of value (USD billion).
|By Machine Type|
|Marine and Port Cranes|
|By Application Type|
|Mining and Excavation|
|Marine and Offshore|
|Other Application Types|
Mobile Crane Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Mobile Crane Market according to our research experts:
Increase in Construction and Renovation Activities Globally to Drive Demand in the Market
The construction and mining industry is highly dynamic, and numerous factors, such as the overall economy, budgets, and global economic scenario, are influencing the market’s growth. With the prospects of large infrastructure projects and shifting labor dynamics, the demand for construction equipment is expected to witness growth during the forecast period.
Moreover, several countries are witnessing significant foreign direct investment (FDI) across the construction sector. For instance, In 2020, there was approximately AUD 2.2 billion in foreign direct investment into the construction sector in Australia.
Infrastructure spending by governments worldwide and players operating in this sector are witnessing a notable rise over the past few years, thereby pushing the demand for machinery and equipment in the construction sector. In addition, the investments in infrastructure, both public and private, such as the Indonesian National Medium-term Development Plan (USD 460 billion), Vietnam Socio-Economic Development Plan (USD 61.5 billion), and the Philippine Development Plan “Build, Build, and Build” (USD 71.8 billion), are expected to increase the demand for construction machinery demand in these regions.
Government initiatives in several other countries are also driving factors in the construction machinery market. This, in turn, will help the construction industry grow in the upcoming years. For instance,
- In March 2020, the United Kingdom government announced its plan to spend a total of EUR 640 billion (USD 825 billion) between 2020 and 2025. Around EUR 10.9 billion of this spending will be allocated for the construction of new homes, with the aim of building one million new homes by 2025.
- In July 2021, Canada announced over USD 33 billion investment into Canada's infrastructure projects and over USD 180 billion in the next 12 years for the development of the country’s infrastructure. In 2020, 97 cities across the United States announced 304 infrastructure projects valued at USD 25.6 billion. In July 2021, USD 550 billion worth of projects were announced by the federal government for roads and bridges, water infrastructure, and others.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America Expected to Occupy Significant Share in the Market
The construction sector across North America is expected to experience solid growth, backed by strong economic fundamentals, the government’s focus on creating infrastructure, and the tightening of monetary policy, which is expected to result in strong capital inflows from the external markets as well as domestic markets.
Though construction activities halted and demand declined over past years due to the pandemic, it is expected that it will gain traction over the forecast period in the wake of ongoing projects and announcements of favorable policies by the government. For instance,
- In November 2021, the US Congress passed a USD 1 trillion infrastructure spending bill. The infrastructure legislation proposes USD 550 million in new federal expenditure over the next eight years in the United States for the upgrade of roads, bridges, and highways and to modernize the city transit systems and passenger rail networks.
- While the new infrastructure spending bill falls short of the original USD 2.3 trillion proposals, the publisher expects 1 trillion spending on various United States infrastructure sectors to keep supporting the growth of the construction industry over the next four to eight quarters in the country.
With the increase in demand for cargo and maritime trade at the United States ports, manufacturers and port owners are seeing investing cash in procuring ports and harboring mobile cranes to felicitate the goods transportation. For instance:
- SeaPortManatee, along with terminal operator Logistec USA Inc. has demanded the addition of two mobile harbor cranes which has been arrived on 22 April. Both of the cranes are capable of lifting 125 metric tons of goods load at the port and together can be able to lift 200 metric tons load. Furthermore, these mobile cranes shall be able to increase cargo handling capabilities at SeaPort Manatee.
- In April 2022, Allison Transmission, a leading designer and manufacturer of conventional and electrified vehicle propulsion solutions, came under a constructive alliance with Bell Equipment Group Services (BELL) to evaluate and integrate Allison’s proven 4000 Series™. The TerraTran is a multi-purpose vehicle built for applications such as articulated dump trucks, mobile cranes, and wide-body mining dump trucks.
The Canadian and Mexico markets are also likely to experience demand from the residential sector as the country is rebuilding its infrastructure damaged by wildfires. The rise in prices of oil and the melting of ice caps in the Arctic is expected to open new trade routes and lead to new exploration activities, which are expected to increase the demand for marine and offshore cranes during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Mobile Crane Market Competitor Analysis
Major players operating in the mobile crane market are Liebherr, Cargotec, Tadano, Manitowoc, and Palfinger, among others. These players have successfully capitalized on the significant demand for reliable cranes from key players in the construction, mining, and industrial sectors. In terms of tier-2 and tier-3 supply chains and supplying to small- and medium-sized applications, the market studied is fairly consolidated, with the presence of regional players.
The prominent players have exponentially increased their R&D expenditure to integrate innovation with excellence in performance. The demand for high-performance, highly efficient, and safe-handling equipment, is expected to make the market studied more competitive and effectively dynamic during the forecast period.
- In May 2021, In an effort to better serve the customers and as part of the global expansion of the company, Zoomlion inaugurated a production facility in Mantova, Italy. With this expansion, the company expects to further improve its foothold in Europe and global presence as a whole.
- In April 2021, Liebherr introduced a compact one-man taxi crane, MK 73-3.1 mobile construction crane. This latest machine is designed to fulfill the market demands for a small, compact, and flexible mobile construction crane that is fast and agile in operation.
- In February 2021, Manitex Valla of Italy, a subsidiary of the US-based Manitex international, launched the all-new V 110 R Electric Mobile Crane, which is battery-operated and remote-controlled. The machine is suitable to work in tight places and congested areas but securing in the meantime maximum maneuverability and flexibility in the most critical and demanding operating environments.
Mobile Crane Market Top Players
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Mobile Crane Market Recent Developments
- In March 2022, Liebherr International AG has received order for three mobile crane from rental contractor Herrmann & Wittrock. Company offering LTM 1040-2.1, LTM 1150-5.3 and LTM 1055-3.2 machines shall expand the company’s crane fleet and further modernize the complete fleet of its mobile crane offering. Furthermore, Liebherr has previously supplied around 10 mobile cranes to Herrmann & Wittrock and now has gauzed order for this year as well.
- In April 2022, Associated British Ports have announced its strategic investment of EUR 32 million in the Humber port for upgradation of port cranes and equipment. The ongoing strategy in the Humber has been split between investment in mobile harbor cranes and hydraulic cranes.
- In August 2021, Manitowoc signed an agreement to acquire all assets of Aspen Equipment. The acquisition aimed to expand Manitowoc's direct-to-customer footprint in Nebraska, Iowa, and Minnesota with more sales, parts, service, used sales, and rentals to a range of end markets.
- In July 2021, Terex acquired an Ireland based a multinational company MDS International. Through this acquisition, company will be able to expand its operations as well as consumer base.
Mobile Crane Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Driver
4.2 Market Restraint
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Value USD Billion)
5.1 By Machine Type
5.1.1 Mobile Crane
5.1.2 Fixed Crane
5.1.3 Marine and Port Cranes
5.2 By Application Type
5.2.2 Mining and Excavation
5.2.3 Marine and Offshore
5.2.4 Industrial Applications
5.2.5 Other Application Types
5.3 By Geography
5.3.1 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 Rest of North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 Rest of the World
184.108.40.206 South America
220.127.116.11 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Vendor Market Share
6.2 Company Profiles*
6.2.1 Konecranes PLC
6.2.4 Terex Corporation
6.2.5 Tadano Limited
6.2.6 Kobelco Cranes Co. Limited
6.2.7 Palfinger AG
6.2.8 Liebherr-International AG
6.2.9 Zoomlion Heavy Industry Science and Technology Co. Limited
6.2.10 Favelle Favco Group
6.2.11 Sumitomo Heavy Industries Construction Cranes Co. Ltd
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Mobile Crane Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Mobile Crane Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Mobile Crane Market?
The Mobile Crane Market is growing at a CAGR of 6% over the next 5 years.
What is Mobile Crane Market size in 2018?
The Mobile Crane Market is valued at 17 Billion USD in 2018.
What is Mobile Crane Market size in 2028?
The Mobile Crane Market is valued at 24 Billion USD in 2028.
Which region has highest growth rate in Mobile Crane Market?
North America is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Mobile Crane Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Mobile Crane Market?
Konecranes, Cargotec Corporation, Terex Corporation, Zoomlion, TADANO Ltd are the major companies operating in Mobile Crane Market.
Mobile Crane Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Mobile Crane sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Mobile Crane research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Mobile Crane report PDF.