2016 - 2026
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The linear alkyl benzene market was valued at 3,444 kiloton in 2020, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of less than 3% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
Due to COVID-19, lockdown regulations, and a deficient number of workers, the production in various chemical and other industries has decreased. However, surfactant-based products, when used correctly, can help to stop the spread of coronavirus infection. As a result, cleaning products and surfactant manufacturers have seen an increase in demand since the beginning of the year, as evidenced by their reported financial results. Oxiteno, a Brazilian manufacturer of surfactants and specialty chemicals, reported improved sales and earnings in the first quarter of 2020. On average, sales revenue increased by 4.9% year-on-year.
- Over the medium term, a major factor driving the market studied is the rise in demand for cleaners. Surfactants are major applications for linear alkylbenzene sulphonate (LAS), which is a derivative of linear alkylbenzene (LAB).
- On the flip side, increasing focus on environmental regulations hinders market growth. Environmental issues address certain key concerns that include toxicity, biodegradability, eutrophication, and lifecycle analysis.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market and is also likely to witness the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
The linear alkyl benzene market is segmented by application, end-user industry, and geography. By application, the market is segmented into surfactants and other applications such as solvents and paints. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into laundry detergents, light-duty dishwashing liquids, industrial cleaners, household cleaners, and other end-user industries. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the linear alkyl benzene (LAB) market in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kiloton).
|Light-duty Dishwashing Liquids|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
Laundry Detergents to Dominate the Market
- Linear alkylbenzene sulfonate (LABS) is a colorless organic compound and an intermediate chemical used mainly for the purpose of manufacturing household and industrial cleaning agents. LABS also enjoys a good demand from the detergent industry as its basic raw material.
- The applications of LABS include heavy-duty laundry liquids, light-duty dishwashing liquids, laundry powders, etc.
- Major detergent manufacturers prefer using LABS owing to its cost-performance ratio and versatility nature. LABS is also considered as one of the safest anionic surfactants, from human health and environmental point of view.
- Countries such as India, China, etc., are the leading manufacturer of laundry detergent.
- For instance, in recent times, India is one of the largest producers of soaps and detergents globally. Government initiatives, such as the Swachh Bharat Mission, promote health and hygiene. Such initiatives, along with growing usage of soaps and detergent, have led to the growth of the manufacturing industry, which is further boosting the demand for LABS in the country.
- Furthermore, the detergent industry of the United States includes around 630 establishments (single- and multi-location companies), with combined annual revenue of about USD 25 billion.
- In Germany, the market for the soap and detergent manufacturing industry is dynamic, and the industry is known for strong product innovation, as the manufacturers compete to retain consumer interest.
- All the aforementioned factors are likely to increase the demand for linear alkylbenzene sulfonate over the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the global market share and is likely to continue its dominance during the forecast period. With the growing personal care industry and increasing need for cleaners in countries, such as China, India, and Japan, the usage of linear alkylbenzene is increasing in the region.
- The market for soap, washing powder, and synthetic detergent in China has grown at an average annual rate of over 13% in the past five years, due to increasing awareness about hygiene and development in the liquid soap segment. The increasing consumption of industrial cleaners in the country, supported by the rapid growth in the industrial segment, is expected to drive the market for linear alkyl benzene over the forecast period.
- Likewise, a growing number of consumers is stimulating the demand for personal care products, which, in turn, is driving the linear alkylbenzene (LAB) market in India.
- According to the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (India), for the fiscal year 2019, the proposed investment value in India's soaps, cosmetics, and toiletries sector was around INR 3.5 billion from January to December. These investments were made as part of the industrial entrepreneur memorandums, which were created to help businesses grow.
- The aforementioned factors are contributing to the increasing demand for linear alkyl benzene (LAB) consumption in the region during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The market for linear alkyl benzene is fragmented in terms of production capacity. The top five players account for more than 40% of the global market share. The major companies include Cepsa Química Bécancour, Ho Tung chemicals, Sasol, Huntsman International LLC, and Reliance Industries Limited, among others.
- In June 2019, Spanish petrochemicals producer CEPSA upgraded its chemical plant in Puente Mayorga (Cadiz, Spain), making it the first linear alkyl benzene (LAB) facility in the world to replace hydrofluoric (HF) technology with the Detal process.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Rise in Demand for Cleaners
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Increasing Focus on Environmental Regulations
4.2.2 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Feedstock Analysis
4.5.1 Global Capacity by Key Feedstock
4.6 Technological Snapshot
4.6.1 Production Process
4.6.2 Technology Licensing and Patent Analysis
4.7 Trade Analysis
4.8 Price Analysis
4.9 Supply Scenario
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Volume)
22.214.171.124 Linear Alkylbenzene Sulfonate (LAS)
5.1.2 Other Applications
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.1 Laundry Detergents
5.2.2 Light-duty Dishwashing Liquids
5.2.3 Industrial Cleaners
5.2.4 Household Cleaners
5.2.5 Other End-user Industries
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Cepsa Quimica Becancour Inc. (Compania Espanola de Petroleos SAU)
6.4.2 Farabi Petrochemicals Co.
6.4.3 Formosan Union Chemical Corporation
6.4.4 Ho Tung Chemical Corp.
6.4.5 Indian Oil Corporation Ltd
6.4.6 Indorama Ventures
6.4.7 Isu Chemical Company
6.4.8 Jingtung Petrochemical Corp. Ltd
6.4.9 JXTG Nippon Oil & Energy Corporation
6.4.10 NIRMA Ltd
6.4.11 Quimica Venoco
6.4.12 Reliance Industries Limited
6.4.13 SBK Holding LLC
6.4.14 Sasol Limited
6.4.15 Tamilnadu Petroproducts Limited Ltd
6.4.16 Stepan Company
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Linear Alkyl Benzene (LAB) Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Linear Alkyl Benzene (LAB) Market?
The Linear Alkyl Benzene (LAB) Market is growing at a CAGR of <3% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Linear Alkyl Benzene (LAB) Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Linear Alkyl Benzene (LAB) Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Linear Alkyl Benzene (LAB) Market?
- Cepsa Química Bécancour
- Reliance Industries Limited
- Ho Tung Chemical Corp.
Are the major companies operating in Linear Alkyl Benzene (LAB) Market.