India Location-based Services Market Size
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Forecast Data Period||2023 - 2028|
|Historical Data Period||2018 - 2021|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
India Location-based Services Market Analysis
The Indian Location-based Services Market size is expected to grow from USD 1.32 billion in 2023 to USD 3.21 billion by 2028, registering a CAGR of 19.52% during the forecast period (2023-2028). One of the prime factors driving the India Location-based Services Market growth is the rise in demand for personal and enterprise navigation services.
- The high availability and declining costs of smartphones are significant drivers for the studied market, boosting the market's overall growth opportunities. The adoption of mobile LBS, such as maps and in-car navigation in India, has increased significantly due to the high penetration rate of smartphones and increased usage of data plans for connectivity. Moreover, the demand for personal and enterprise navigation services is expected to increase the demand for LBS, thereby driving the growth of the LBS market within the country during the forecast period.
- Also, the growth of e-commerce platforms as well as on-demand services, such as food delivery and ride-hailing apps, connecting local drivers and passengers, relies immensely on location-based services to provide personalized and efficient experiences, creating higher demand in the market. According to India Brand Equity Foundation, due to the rising internet user base and favorable market scenarios, India has significant potential in the e-commerce industry. The overall market value of the e-commerce industry in India was around 22 billion U.S. dollars in 2018 and is predicted to reach a landmark of about 350 billion U.S. dollars by the end of the year 2030.
- Furthermore, India has witnessed exponential usage of social networking apps and sites. People mostly use their smartphones to access social networks, find friends, check locational reviews, tag locations, check-in, etc. All these services primarily use LBS through the user's smartphone's in-built GPS. Hence, a rise in the usage of such apps will drive the market's growth drastically.
- However, factors like a surge in privacy and security-related issues might be a significant concern that can hamper the overall market's growth during the forecast period.
- The post-COVID-19 market scenario of India's location-based services market anticipated a rebound growth and was expected to continue throughout the forecasted timeline. The enhanced digital transformation within the country continues to boost and enhance the overall adoption of location-based services across various industries, thereby supporting the market's post-COVID-19 recovery.
India Location-based Services Market Trends
The Increasing Adoption of Smartphones and Other Mobile Devices
- India has seen a massive rise in smartphone penetration over the last few years. The availability of smartphones at an affordable rate, coupled with various affordable data plans, has made smartphones more accessible to a more extensive population base within the country. Hence, as more people in India own smartphones, the user base for location-based services expands, boosting the market's growth exponentially.
- These smartphones generally deliver constant internet connectivity, enabling users to access location-based services. Also, the expansion of mobile internet infrastructure, including the overall deployment of 4G networks and the ongoing 5G rollout, has improved internet accessibility drastically across a broad spectrum of regions in India. This vast connectivity ensures that users can access location-based services anywhere, anytime, contributing significantly to the market's growth.
- The Indian Government has also introduced various digital initiatives and mobile apps to offer citizens access to government services. These apps usually incorporate location-based features to facilitate a wide variety of digital services, utilizing location-based services. Hence, this rise in the adoption of smartphones enables more people to access these essential digital services, further driving the growth of location-based services in the country.
- Moreover, the high social media penetration and the adoption of location-based apps are increasing the total use cases for LBS within the country. The overall penetration rate of social media in India is growing significantly. According to StatCounter, Facebook had the highest traffic at about 58 percent among all other social media platforms throughout India as of July 2022. Instagram and YouTube followed far behind, with traffic shares of around 26.44 percent and 9.86 percent, respectively, during the same time.
- According to Bharat FIH, the overall penetration rate of mobile phones in India was about 76.6 percent in the financial year 2022. This was anticipated to rise significantly to more than 86 percent in the financial year 2026 within the country, creating immense opportunities for the market to grow.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
IT and Telecom Sector Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- India has seen a significant expansion of mobile network coverage in recent years. All the critical telecommunication companies have been investing a hefty sum of money in expanding their overall infrastructure to reach remote and rural areas. This expansion has thus provided a solid foundation for location-based services to function effectively and efficiently throughout the country.
- According to India Brand Equity Foundation, India is second globally in telecommunications. As of April 2022, the Tele-density stood at around 84.88%, whereas the total broadband subscriptions grew to around 788.77 million until April 2022, and the entire subscriber base stood at around 1.16 billion in April 2022.
- Moreover, the strong policy support from the Government has been an extremely significant step in the sector's overall development. The telecom sector's overall Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) cap has recently increased significantly. The total FDI inflow within the telecom sector stood at around USD 39.02 billion between April 2000-September 2022.
- Also, the telecom sector has been significantly influential in terms of enhancing GPS technology in India. GPS-enabled smartphone has become highly affordable, and the overall coverage and accuracy of GPS signals have improved considerably. This has made it much easier for location-based services, especially to determine the precise locations, thereby providing accurate information to the users.
- Overall, the IT and Telecom sector in India has played a vital role in enhancing location-based service by improving the overall network coverage, encouraging government initiatives, augmenting mobile app development, improving GPS technology, assisting e-commerce as well as hyperlocal services, and enabling the growth of IoT as well as various smart city solutions. These advancements have made LBS a fundamental part of daily life within the country.
India Location-based Services Industry Overview
The ongoing research and technological enhancements are anticipated to be significant trends within the market sector. The companies and businesses operating in the market are thus adopting different strategies to extend their overall customer base and enhance their presence throughout the market. The key strategies involve long-term partnerships, mergers, and acquisitions. Some of them are as follows :
In June 2023, Tatvic Analytics, a provider of advanced data analytics and marketing technology solutions, declared its partnership with Google Maps Platform, a next-generation, comprehensive suite of location-based services built to augment innovation and boost business outcomes. As a Google Partner, Tatvic Analytics is positioned to provide accurate industry solutions centered throughout Google Services and Products. Tatvic Analytics would help businesses implement GMAPs, optimize costs, identify the right APIs to address various industry-specific challenges, and unlock the complete potential of the Google Maps Platform Stack.
In July 2023, EON Reality, Inc., a global provider of Virtual and Augmented Reality industry and education solutions powered by Artificial Intelligence, partnered with Assam Electronics Development Corporation, a software services company in Northeastern India. This partnership is set to establish a Spatial AI Center in Tech City, Guwahati, Assam, which aims to harness immersive and AI-driven solutions to revolutionize local tech development, education, and several other sectors.
India Location-based Services Market Leaders
Genesys International Corporation limited
Pert Telecom Solutions Pvt Ltd
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
India Location-based Services Market News
- May 2023: ISRO introduced India's version of GPS with the next-generation navigational satellite NVS-01, which would offer real-time timing and positioning services across India and a region around 1,500 km throughout the mainland. This series primarily incorporates L1 band signals additionally to broaden the services. This would drive the demand for the market's growth significantly.
- September 2022: Bentley Systems, Incorporated, the infrastructure engineering software company, and Genesys International, a provider of advanced geospatial and mapping content services, declared that Genesys' 3D City Digital Twin Solution for Urban India would be powered by OpenCities 365, which is Bentley's infrastructure digital twin solution for campuses and cities. These 3D city digital twins would allow local governments to improvise public services, including disaster management, urban governance, emergency response, and tourism. Additionally, it would help and assist governments in providing more sustainable as well as resilient environments for their citizens through advanced urban development, optimized rail, road, utility, and water network upgrades, location-based services, and other smart city initiatives.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Demand for Geo-based Marketing
5.1.2 Emerging Use-cases for LBS due to High Penetration of Social Media and Location-based App Adoption
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Rise in the privacy and security issues
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Component
6.2 By Location
6.3 By Application
6.3.1 Mapping and Navigation
6.3.2 Business Intelligence and Analytics
6.3.3 Location-based Advertising
6.3.4 Social Networking and Entertainment
6.3.5 Other Applications
6.4 By End-User
6.4.1 Transportation and Logistics
6.4.2 IT and Telecom
6.4.8 Other End-Users
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Google LLC
7.1.2 Microsoft Corporation
7.1.4 Genesys International Corporation limited
7.1.5 Pert Telecom Solutions Pvt Ltd
7.1.6 Aruba Networks
7.1.9 Mapsense Technologies (OPC) Private Limited
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The India Location-based Services Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of India Location-based Services Market?
The India Location-based Services Market is growing at a CAGR of 19.52% over the next 5 years.
What is India Location-based Services Market size in 2018?
The India Location-based Services Market is valued at 1 Billion USD in 2018.
What is India Location-based Services Market size in 2028?
The India Location-based Services Market is valued at 3 Billion USD in 2028.
Who are the key players in India Location-based Services Market?
Google LLC , Microsoft Corporation, MapmyIndia, Genesys International Corporation limited, Pert Telecom Solutions Pvt Ltd are the major companies operating in India Location-based Services Market.
India Location-based Services Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 India Location-based Services market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. India Location-based Services analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.