Solar Energy Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2019 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Solar Energy Market Analysis
The Solar Energy Market is expected to reach 1015.4 GW by the end of this year and is projected to register a CAGR of over 12.7% during the forecast period.
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Presently the market has now reached pre-pandemic levels.
- Over the medium term, favorable government policies and increasing adoption of solar PV systems, with the declining price of solar panels and installation cost, are likely to support the global solar energy market growth during the forecast period
- On the other hand, factors such as rising adoption of alternate clean power sources, such as gas-fired power plants, onshore and offshore wind projects are likely to hinder the market growth during the study period.
- Nevertheless, an increase in off-grid solar utilization due to the decreasing cost of solar PV equipment and supportive global initiatives to eliminate carbon emissions are expected to create several opportunities for the market in the future.
- Due to its increasing solar installations, the Asia-Pacific region has dominated the solar energy market in the past few years and is expected to be the largest and fastest-growing region in the solar energy market during the forecast period.
Solar Energy Industry Segments
Solar energy is heat and radiant light from the Sun that can be harnessed with technologies such as solar power (which is used to generate electricity) and solar thermal energy (which is used for applications such as water heating). The solar energy market is segmented by technology and geography. By technology, the market is segmented into solar photovoltaic (PV) and concentrated solar power (CSP). The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the solar energy market across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done based on installed capacity (GW).
Solar Energy Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Solar Energy Market according to our research experts:
Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Expected to Dominate the Market
- Solar photovoltaic (PV) is expected to account for the largest annual capacity additions for renewables, well above wind and hydro, for the next five years. According to IEA, solar PV generation increased by 23% in 2020, reaching 821 TWh, witnessing the second-largest absolute generation growth of all renewable technologies behind wind. With this increase, the solar PV share in global electricity generation is more than 3%.
- The continuous cost reductions in technology and the increasing growth in China, India, and other economies in Asia-Pacific and European countries, owing to policy changes and growing focus on achieving various capacity targets, are expected to contribute to the development of the solar PV market in the forecast period.
- The solar PV market cut costs dramatically during the past six years through economies of scale. As the market was flooded with equipment, prices plummeted, the cost of solar panels dropped exponentially, resulting in the increasing adoption of solar PV systems.
- In 2021, around 183 GW of PV systems were installed and commissioned globally, reaching a cumulative installed capacity of approximately 940 GW of PV at the end of 2021.
- Some of the major markets, such as the Chinese market, grew with 54.9 GW installed PV capacity in 2021, representing about 31% of the global market. Following China, the United States ranked second with around 23 GW of annual installations in 2021. The European Union followed with an increased market of 26.8 GW, followed by India with about 13 GW installed.
- The Middle-East, is also expected to be one of the fastest-growing markets owing to the increasing concerns of governments of major countries towards clean energy, decreasing the carbon footprint, and energy security. Countries like Israel, UAE, Saudi Arabia, etc., are expected to drive the market's demand over the forecast period.
- According to the US Energy Information Agency (EIA), in 2021, about 4,116 billion kilowatt-hours (kWh) (or about 4.12 trillion kWh) of electricity were generated at utility-scale power generation facilities in the United States. About 61% of this power generation was from fossil fuel, 19% was from nuclear energy, and about 20% was from renewable energy sources.
- Therefore, owing to the above factors, the solar photovoltaic (PV) segment is likely to dominate the solar energy market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Expected to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific, in recent years, has been the primary market for solar energy installations. With an additional installed capacity of around 75.7 GW in 2021, the region held a market share of about 57.2% of the global solar power installed capacity.
- The Levelized Cost of Energy (LCOE) for solar PV in the last decade reduced by more than 85%, because of which developing countries in the region, such as Indonesia, Malaysia, and Vietnam, saw an increase in solar energy installation capacity in their total energy mix.
- China is a major contributor to the solar energy market’s growth in Asia-Pacific and globally. China had a total installed solar PV capacity of about 306.4 GW as of 2021, representing an increase of 21% from that of 2020. According to China's National Energy Administration (NEA), its newly installed solar PV capacity reached around 53 GW in 2021. Of this capacity, around 29 GW came from distributed solar power generation projects, and the remaining shares came from the large-scale solar plants.
- China already achieved its solar energy goal in 2020, two years ahead of the schedule. In China, most of the solar PV projects are concentrated in the eastern and southern parts of the country. In these two regions, the economy is the most prosperous. These regions also have the maximum demand for solar power. China has also secured the position of the largest solar panel technology manufacturer in the world. As of 2021, the country manufactured more than 60% of the solar panels across the world. China’s dominance in solar panel manufacturing is evident from the fact that out of the top ten solar panel manufacturers in the world, seven are Chinese firms.
- In June 2021, the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) declared that it will be building a 4.75 GW solar PV plant in the Rann of Kutch in Gujarat, India, as a part of its efforts in building a 60 GW renewable energy portfolio by 2032. The cost of the project is estimated to be USD 3.31 billion, and the project is expected to enter intocommercial operation in 2023. Such large-scale utility projects are expected to increase the adoption of solar energy during the forecast period.
- In December 2021, the Power Development Department (PDD) of Ladakh signed a power purchase agreement (PPA) with Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) for buying 50 MW DC solar power.
- nIn March 2022, Alibaba Group's logistics arm Cainiao Network started to use distributed solar power generated by rooftop solar panels installed on its bonded warehouses in China to power its operations. The company had installed the PV power generation systems on 100,000 square meters of warehouse rooftop, that can store 7.862 MW of energy, with an annual power output of over 8 million kilowatts hour, which is enough to power more than 3,000 homes. The power generated by the solar power system will be sufficient to power Cainiao's warehouse operations, and excess electricity will be diverted to the grid. Further, by 2023, Cainiao and its partners expect to install rooftop PV generation systems on Cainiao's bonded warehouses spanning a combined 500,000 square meters.
- Therefore, owing to the above factors, Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the solar energy market during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Solar Energy Market Competitor Analysis
The solar energy market is fragmented in nature. Some of the key players in the market (in no particular order) include Canadian Solar Inc., JinkoSolar Holding Co. Ltd, Trina Solar Co. Ltd, SunPower Corporation, and LONGi Green Energy Technology Co. Ltd. among others.
Solar Energy Market Top Players
LONGi Green Energy Technology Co. Ltd
Trina Solar Ltd
Canadian Solar Inc.
JinkoSolar Holdings Co. Ltd
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Solar Energy Market Recent Developments
- In March 2022, California Department of Water Resources, utility company Turlock Irrigation District (TID), Marin County, California-based water and energy project developer Solar AquaGrid, and University of California partnered on a pilot project named Project Nexus.
- In May 2022, NJR Clean Energy Ventures (CEV) started construction on an 8.9-MW floating solar installation in Millburn, New Jersey, which is expected to be the largest floating array in the United States. The project uses a floating racking system, 16,510 solar panels ware likely to be installed on a reservoir located at the New Jersey American Water Canoe Brook Water Treatment Plant. The clean power generated by the array will provide approximately 95% of the facility’s annual power needs through a power purchase agreement with CEV.
Solar Energy Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Global Renewable Energy Mix, 2021
4.3 Solar Energy Installed Capacity and Forecast in GW, till 2027
4.4 Recent Trends and Developments
4.5 Government Policies and Regulations
4.6 Market Dynamics
4.7 Supply Chain Analysis
4.8 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.8.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.8.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.8.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.8.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.8.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGEMENTATION
5.1.1 Solar Photovoltaic (PV)
220.127.116.11 Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Installed Capacity and Forecast, in GW, till 2027
18.104.22.168 Annual Solar PV Shipments, in GW, till 2021
22.214.171.124 Share of Solar PV Shipments (%), by Technology, 2021
126.96.36.199 Average Selling Price of Solar PV Module, in USD/W, till 2021
188.8.131.52 Key Projects Information
5.1.2 Concentrated Solar Power (CSP)
184.108.40.206 Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) Installed Capacity and Forecast, in GW, till 2027
220.127.116.11 Solar Thermal Capacity in Operation, in GW, till 2020
18.104.22.168 Solar Thermal Installed Capacity Share (%), by Collector Type, 2020
22.214.171.124 Key Projects Information
5.2.1 North America
5.2.4 South America
5.2.5 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Canadian Solar Inc.
6.3.2 JinkoSolar Holding Co. Ltd
6.3.3 Trina Solar Co. Ltd
6.3.4 SunPower Corporation
6.3.5 LONGi Green Energy Technology Co. Ltd
6.3.6 First Solar Inc.
6.3.7 JA Solar Holding
6.3.8 Abengoa SA
6.3.9 Acciona SA
6.3.10 Brightsource Energy Inc.
6.3.11 Engie SA
6.3.12 NextEra Energy Inc.
6.3.13 ACWA Power
6.3.14 Sharp Corporation
6.3.15 REC Solar Holdings AS
6.3.16 Hanwha Corporation
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Solar Energy Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Solar Energy Market is studied from 2019 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Solar Energy Market?
The Solar Energy Market is growing at a CAGR of 12.7% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Solar Energy Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2019 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Solar Energy Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Solar Energy Market?
SunPower Corporation, LONGi Green Energy Technology Co. Ltd, Trina Solar Ltd, Canadian Solar Inc., JinkoSolar Holdings Co. Ltd are the major companies operating in Solar Energy Market.
Solar Energy Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Solar Energy sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Solar Energy research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Solar Energy report PDF.