|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||North America|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The global dairy market is projected to grow with a CAGR of 5% over the forecast period (2021 - 2026).
- In 2018, the global milk output was valued at 843 million tons, an increase of 2.2% from the value registered in 2017. This increase can be primarily attributed to production expansions in India, Turkey, the European Union, Pakistan, the United States, and Argentina. However, this factor was partially offset by a decline in milk output, especially in China and Ukraine.
- Increasing demand for dairy products is driven by the growing population, higher income levels, and rising health consciousness. The global market is primarily dominated by the milk segment, followed by butter and cheese segments. The yogurt and dairy desserts segments are expected to be the fastest-growing segments across the world.
- Globally, in 2018, the export of butter increased by 7.5%, mainly contributed by countries, like New Zealand, the United States, and India. However, in the European Union, there was a decline in the demand for butter.
Scope of the Report
On the basis of product type, the dairy market is segmented into milk, cheese, butter, dairy desserts, yogurt, and other product types. The other dairy-based products include sour cream, quark, and fromage frais. Furthermore, by distribution channel, the market studied is segmented into supermarkets/hypermarkets, convenience stores, specialist stores, and other distribution channels.
|By Product Type|
|By Distribution Channel|
|Supermarkets and Hypermarkets|
|Online Retail Stores|
Key Market Trends
Lactose-free Dairy Products are Expected to Drive the Market Growth
In the United States, Europe, and China, more than 5%, 10%, and 90% of the population are intolerant to lactose, respectively. In these markets, lactose-free dairy products are witnessing immense popularity. According to the majority of the population, products with low levels of lactose and sugar are considered to be healthy. There is a significant increase in the number of lactose-free products. Products with less lactose content and lactose-free dairy products, such as yogurt, milk, and cheese, are gaining traction in the market studied. The United States accounts for 29% of all the lactose-free food consumed across the world. The lactose-free dairy category is projected to register a CAGR of 7%.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Developing Countries are Contributing to the Market's Growth
The sale of dairy products in the developing countries of the Asia Pacific Region and the European region accounts for more than 50% to global sales. This western market is witnessing a high growth rate, primarily driven by product innovation, and the rising health consciousness among consumers. In the Asia-Pacific region, India dominates the market, followed by China, and Australia, whereas in the demand in the European region is driven by countries such as Belarus, and Ukraine. Furthermore, factors, such as efficient and sustainable dairy production in these countries are impacting the global market’s growth. For instance, modernization resulted in low emission of greenhouse gases, better milk quality, and commercial opportunities for local dairy processing.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Dairy is an important part of food. It is essential in, both, food service and packaged good categories, whether as an end product (such as milk or yoghurt) or as a critical input for products, such as cheese pizza. Given its intrinsic presence, dairy is a microcosm of the food industry, with the preferences of dairy consumers largely influenced by the same trends affecting the food sector. The dairy market is considerably large, with the presence of numerous companies. Due to the dynamic and staple nature of the market, it is highly competitive. Furthermore, there is high scope for the entry of new companies, as entry barriers are not well developed. Changing consumer behavior, competition, and trade action are impacting the growth of dairy companies. Research in a representative sample of the global dairy companies revealed 3% decline in cumulative return on invested capital (ROIC), from around 9.5% in 2008 to 6.5% in 2017.
- In March 2019, Danone launched Wallaby No sugar added Australian-style yogurt in the United States, which is only sweetened with organic fruit and is available in three flavors, namely vanilla chai, strawberry rose, and peach hibiscus.
- In July 2019, Fonterra Future Dairy, a joint venture between global dairy nutrition company Fonterra and India’s FMCG powerhouse Future Consumer launched its consumer brand- Dreamery, to fuel new India ambition. The first products in the Dreamery range include yogurt and few other products.
- In August 2019, Walki and Arla partnered to provide recyclable and sustainable packaging solutions. Fibre-based Walki®Lid helps consumers consume their dairy snacks with zero aluminium. For Arla, it also provides a way to significantly reduce the carbon footprint of its packaging.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porters Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Product Type
5.1.4 Dairy Desserts
5.2 By Distribution Channel
5.2.1 Supermarkets and Hypermarkets
5.2.2 Convenience Stores
5.2.3 Specalist Retailers
5.2.4 Online Retail Stores
5.3.1 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 Rest of North America
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
126.96.36.199 United Arab Emirates
188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Most Active Companies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Key Strategies Adapted by Major Companies
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Nestle SA
6.4.2 Lactalis International
6.4.3 Danone S.A.
6.4.4 Fonterra Co-operative Group
6.4.6 Arla Foods
6.4.7 Dean Foods
6.4.8 Yili Group
6.4.9 China Mengniu Dairy Co., Ltd.
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Dairy Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Dairy Market?
The Dairy Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.0% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Dairy Market?
North America is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Dairy Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Dairy Market?
Nestle, Lactalis, Danone, Fonterra, Frieslandcampina are the major companies operating in Dairy Market.