India Cold Chain Logistics Market Size
|2020 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Market Size (2024)
|USD 10.30 Billion
|Market Size (2029)
|USD 13.58 Billion
|CAGR (2024 - 2029)
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
India Cold Chain Logistics Market Analysis
The India Cold Chain Logistics Market size is estimated at USD 10.30 billion in 2024, and is expected to reach USD 13.58 billion by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 5.67% during the forecast period (2024-2029).
The rising demand for perishable goods has been propelling market growth. Furthermore, due to a shift in consumer behavior, e-commerce and online shopping of pharmaceuticals are driving the market.
- The Indian cold chain industry is still in its infancy, making it one of the most promising fields in the cold chain warehousing and logistics industry. India is on track to become the world's fifth-largest economy by 2027. As a well-established key player in the global market, investment in India's supply chain infrastructure is expected to rise year on year. Fortunately, the Indian government is a driving force in developing the cold chain industry, and it encourages private participation through various subsidy schemes and grants. The Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI) launched a program dedicated to cold chain, value addition, and preservation infrastructure.
- India is the world's largest producer of milk and the second largest producer of fruits and vegetables, and it produces a significant amount of seafood, meat, and poultry. However, due to the inexperienced cold chain supply, food and agricultural products are significantly lost. According to the Food and Agriculture Organization, approximately 1.3 billion tonnes of food are lost yearly, accounting for one-third of total food production. These losses are estimated to be between USD 8 and USD 15 billion annually. To avoid these issues, the cold chain sector must be developed. Aside from perishable food, the pharmaceutical industry is another critical sector that relies on a reliable cold supply chain network. Vaccine storage and transportation, life-saving drugs, and other pharma raw materbehaviourd a robust and well-managed cold supply chain network.
- Consumer behavior and purchasing habits have shifted dramatically in the last two years as the world has experienced its worst health crisis in history. There is an increasing demand for digital and home-delivered shopping and a greater understanding of pricing and eco-friendly, healthy, and locally sourced products. India should be encouraged to make better use of its cold chain equipment. It would be ideal if the equipment could be purchased in the United States rather than being imported. The national logistics strategy, which is currently being developed, will address some cold chain challenges and larger-picture issues such as standarseverald formalization. The government is assisting logistics parks in a number of locations across the country. Indeed, the Indian government performs admirably in this regard.
- The rising demand for processed foods is significantly driving the growth of the perishable goods transportation market, though factors such as food safety may impede the market growth. Breakfast cereals, dairy products, meat, and poultry are examples of processed foods. Meanwhile, the rise in disposable income has influenced people's spending habits. They have developed a desire to try and experience different food varieties regardless of price. Furthermore, trade liberalization has aided in the transportation of a variety of processed foods, such as tinned vegetables and ready meals, driving demand for perishable goods transportation. Perishable goods transportation will be pushed by rising demand.
India Cold Chain Logistics Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the India Cold Chain Logistics Market according to our research experts:
Increase in pharmaceutical supply through e-commerce driving the market
Several factors are driving the Indian E-pharmacy market. Aside from budget-friendly and reasonable items, these drug stores additionally offer some value-added items and administrations, for example, arrangements for a specialist discussion (E-counsel) and E-symptomatic administrations. These administrations are assisting these organizations in becoming a total medical care specialist cooperative, particularly in areas where specific specialists are inaccessible or travel for discussions is required for patients. Different E-medical services provided by the government, such as Ayushman Bharat, provide financial assistance by expanding the reach of insurance plans to remote areas, feasible services, and doorstep conveyance in a short time, thereby increasing the popularity of web drug stores over disconnected retail drug stores among purchasers.
The growing internet penetration, changing customer preferences, and the introduction of government initiatives that help augment the pharmaceutical industry nationwide have all contributed to the growth of the e-pharmacy industry in India. Constant innovation by leading market players to secure a prominent position in the region would significantly boost the growth curve in the coming years. In 2021, Mumbai-based PharmEasy announced the acquisition of Medlife for an undisclosed sum to cement its position as the country's leading e-pharmacy.
Increase in cold storage spaces in the country driving the market
India produces over 400 million MT of perishable food each year. It is also the world's largest producer and consumer of dairy products and the world's second-largest producer of fruits and vegetables. However, up to 40% of the country's food gets spoiled in its supply chain. This directly impacts our farmers' income, the vast majority of whom are already struggling to make ends meet. Aside from perishable food, the pharmaceutical industry is another critical sector whose smooth operation depends on an efficient cold supply chain network. Life-saving vaccines that are stored, transported, and delivered are critical to the sector and need a robust and well-managed cold supply chain network.
India's cold storage capacity in 2021 is estimated to be 37-39 million tonnes. According to official statistics, the country has about 7,645 cold storage facilities, with potatoes accounting for 68% of the capacity and multi-commodity cold storage accounting for 30%. Another recent study by the Central Institute of Post-Harvest Engineering and Technology (CIPHET) found that India wastes a whopping 16% of its fruits and vegetables yearly due to a lack of cold chain infrastructure. According to experts, the Indian perishable market requires 1.5 to 2 lakh reefer trucks to meet the perishables movement needs within the country.
Perishable cargo spoilage is a problem caused by insufficient and inadequate cold perishable logistics infrastructure. However, that problem can be solved using a public-private partnership (PPP) model to build refrigerated transportation infrastructure. The most difficult function in cold chain logistics is transportation. Across India, there is a gap between existing capacity and the demand for effective perishable logistics infrastructure-warehouses, temperature-controlled trucks, LCVs, and so on. Furthermore, the government offers numerous incentive programs for cold chain storage establishment, but no viable transportation schemes are currently available.
India Cold Chain Logistics Industry Overview
The India cold chain logistics market is a fragmented market, which consists of a large number of local players to cater to the growing demand. Some of the major players in the market include Gati Kausar India Pvt Ltd, Snowman Logistics Pvt Ltd, ColdEx Logistics Pvt Ltd, and Stellar Value Chain Solutions Pvt Ltd, amongst others. Companies investing in streamlining the supply chain and having advanced technology have an edge in getting a good share of the market. Furthermore, global players can partner with local companies to invest in the market and gain profits.
India Cold Chain Logistics Market Leaders
Gati Kausar India Pvt Ltd
Snowman Logistics Pvt Ltd
ColdEx Logistics Pvt Ltd
Stellar Value Chain Solutions Pvt Ltd
Future Supply Chain Solutions
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
India Cold Chain Logistics Market News
- October 2022: Snowman Logistics Limited launched Fifth-Party Logistics (or 5PL) services in India, making it the first company in the country to do so in the cold chain logistics and supply chain management sectors. The demand for 5PL services has gradually increased in recent years due to the growth of e-commerce businesses, an increase in international trade activities, and increased supply chain complexities.
- January 2022: Celcius, a SaaS-based cold chain aggregator platform, announced a financial partnership with Shriram Transport Finance Company (STFC) to finance vehicles and working capital for the cold supply chain market. The two partners will provide light and heavy commercial vehicles to the cold chain industry as part of the collaboration, which marks STFC's entry into the cold supply chain segment.
India Cold Chain Logistics Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1 Analysis Method
2.2 Research Phases
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS DYNAMICS
4.1 Current Market Scenario
4.2 Market Dynamics
4.3 Value Chain / Supply Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.5 Technological Trends and Automation
4.6 Government Regulations and Initiatives
4.7 Spotlight on Ambient/Temperature-controlled Storage
4.8 Impact of Emission Standards and Regulations on Cold Chain Industry
4.9 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Service
5.1.3 Value-added Services (Blast Freezing, Labeling, Inventory Management, etc.)
5.2 By Temperature Type
5.3 By Application
5.3.1 Horticulture (Fresh Fruits & Vegetables)
5.3.2 Dairy Products (Milk, Ice-cream, Butter, etc.)
5.3.3 Meats, Fish, Poultry
5.3.4 Processed Food Products
5.3.5 Pharma, Life Sciences, and Chemicals
5.3.6 Other Applications
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Market Concentration Overview
6.2 Company Profiles
6.2.1 Gati Kausar India Pvt Ltd
6.2.2 Snowman Logistics Pvt Ltd
6.2.3 ColdEx Logistics Pvt Ltd
6.2.4 Stellar Value Chain Solutions Pvt Ltd
6.2.5 Future Supply Chain Solutions
6.2.6 M.J. Logistics Services Ltd
6.2.7 Fresh and Healthy Services Ltd
6.2.8 R.K. Foodland Private Ltd
6.2.9 Gubba Cold Storages Ltd
6.2.10 Cold Star Logistics Pvt Ltd*
- *List Not Exhaustive
6.3 Other Companies
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
India Cold Chain Logistics Market Research FAQs
How big is the India Cold Chain Logistics Market?
The India Cold Chain Logistics Market size is expected to reach USD 10.30 billion in 2024 and grow at a CAGR of 5.67% to reach USD 13.58 billion by 2029.
What is the current India Cold Chain Logistics Market size?
In 2024, the India Cold Chain Logistics Market size is expected to reach USD 10.30 billion.
Who are the key players in India Cold Chain Logistics Market?
Gati Kausar India Pvt Ltd, Snowman Logistics Pvt Ltd, ColdEx Logistics Pvt Ltd, Stellar Value Chain Solutions Pvt Ltd and Future Supply Chain Solutions are the major companies operating in the India Cold Chain Logistics Market.
What years does this India Cold Chain Logistics Market cover, and what was the market size in 2023?
In 2023, the India Cold Chain Logistics Market size was estimated at USD 9.75 billion. The report covers the India Cold Chain Logistics Market historical market size for years: 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the India Cold Chain Logistics Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Cold Chain Logistics in India Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Cold Chain Logistics in India market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Cold Chain Logistics in India analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.