Helium Market Size
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
|CAGR:||> 4 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Helium Market Analysis
The helium market is projected to register a CAGR of greater than 4% during the forecast period.
However, due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the aerospace industry took a severe blow, which resulted in the contraction of the aerospace industry in recent times, which negatively affected the growth prospects of helium in aerospace applications. However high growth in the healthcare sector has positively affected the helium market.
- In the medium term, increasing consumption of helium in the electronics and semiconductor industry and the growing usage in the healthcare industry are likely to drive the market demand.
- However, on the flip side, the high cost of the extraction process and the stringent government regulations concerning helium use are likely to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- The development of efficient storage and transport methods for gases and huge reserve of natural gas found in Tanzania are anticipated to provide numerous opportunities over the forecast period.
- Asia Pacific region is expected to register highest growth of market studied in the forecast period.
Helium Industry Segmentation
Helium is the second-most abundant element in the universe. It is mostly trapped in subterranean natural gas bunkers and is commercially extracted through a method known as fractional distillation. By phase, the market is segmented into liquid and gas. By application, the market is segmented into breathing mixes, cryogenics, leak detection, pressurizing and purging, welding, controlled atmosphere, and other applications. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into aerospace and aircraft, electronics and semiconductors, nuclear power, healthcare, welding and metal fabrication, and other end-user industries. The report also covers the market sizes and forecasts for the Helium market in 12 countries across the major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done based on volume (million cubic feet).
|Pressurizing and Purging|
|Aerospace and Aircraft|
|Electronics and Semiconductors|
|Welding and Metal Fabrication|
|Other End-user Industries|
Helium Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Helium Market according to our research experts:
Healthcare Sector to Dominate the Market
- Helium has a wide range of uses in the healthcare industry. It can reach a temperature of -269° C, making liquid helium the best option for cooling the magnets of MRI machines. Helium is also being used for breathing observation. It is an essential component in treating emphysema, asthma, and other conditions that affect breathing.
- The gas is usually used to treat lung diseases. Oxygen and helium are used together for the treatment of acute and chronic forms of respiratory ailments, as the combination reaches the lungs faster than all the others. There is no substitute for helium in cryogenic helium applications.
- The Chinese government has started policies to support and encourage domestic medical innovation, providing opportunities for the market studied. As the second-largest healthcare industry globally, behind the United States, the country’s healthcare market has been more rigorous, especially in light of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. China is expected to have 25% of the global medical device industry revenue share by 2030.
- The healthcare sector in the country is expected to reach USD 372 billion by 2022, mainly driven by increasing health awareness, access to insurance, rising income, and diseases. The medical sector in India is benefiting from the growing population at a rate of 1.6% per year. An aging population of over 100 million, rising incidences of lifestyle diseases, rising incomes, and increased penetration of health insurance are fueling the growth of more sophisticated and accurate medical devices in the industry.
- The healthcare sector in the United States is one of the most advanced sectors in the country. Moreover, for the 2021-2028 period, national healthcare spending is projected to grow at an average of more than 5.5% and reach approximately USD 6.192 trillion by 2028. According to data published by WHO, healthcare expenditure by financing schemes increase significantly during the pandemic period.
- Such factors are likely to increase the demand for helium over the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America Region to Dominate the Market
- North America accounted for the largest share of the market, with the United States alone consuming a share of 30% of the global market.
- In the United States, as of 2020, around 16.63% of the population was above 65 years of age, according to the World Bank. Additionally, this geriatric population is estimated to reach 22% by 2050. The increasing geriatric population and the growing requirement for medical facilities for the treatment of chronic diseases have been supporting the growth of the healthcare sector, as well as the consumption of various medical devices and materials in the country.
- In 2021, total health expenditure in Canada was estimated at USD 225.20 billion. In the healthcare industry, the medical sector is a highly diversified and export-oriented industry that manufactures equipment and supplies. The sector is driven by product innovation. The industry can draw on world-class innovative research being conducted in Canadian universities, research institutes, and hospitals, some of which have been spun off into Canadian medical device companies.
- Canada has a large medical devices market, with diagnostic equipment in greatest demand, and patient monitoring equipment. Even though the country has a large medical device market, imports account for 80% of the total consumption.
- Such aforementioned factors are expected to increase the demand for helium during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Helium Industry Overview
The helium market is highly consolidated in nature. The major players in the market include (not in any particular order) Air Liquide, Linde PLC, Matheson Tri-Gas Inc., Iwatani Corporation, and Messer Group, among others.
Helium Market Leaders
Matheson Tri-Gas Inc.
Air Products and Chemicals Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Helium Market News
- In April 2022: Linde signed a long-term agreement to supply helium to the United States from Freeport LNG's production site in Texas. For this, Linde will construct a new helium processing plant to purify and liquefy recovered helium.
- In January 2022: Air Liquide announced a long-term agreement to supply ultra-high purity hydrogen, helium, and carbon dioxide to one of the world’s largest semiconductor manufacturers. Air Liquide plans to invest nearly 60 million U.S. dollars to build, own and operate onsite plants and systems at a new manufacturing site in Phoenix, Arizona, in support of this new agreement.
Helium Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Consumption in the Electronics and Semiconductor Industry
4.1.2 Increasing Use in the Healthcare Industry
4.2.1 Expensive Extraction Process
4.2.2 Stringent Government Regulations Concerning Helium Use
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter Five Forces
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
5.2.1 Breathing Mixes
5.2.3 Leak Detection
5.2.4 Pressurizing and Purging
5.2.6 Controlled Atmosphere
5.2.7 Other Applications
5.3 End-user Industry
5.3.1 Aerospace and Aircraft
5.3.2 Electronics and Semiconductors
5.3.3 Nuclear Power
5.3.5 Welding and Metal Fabrication
5.3.6 Other End-user Industries
5.4.1 Production Analysis
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 Other Countries
5.4.2 Consumption Analysis
18.104.22.168.4 South Korea
22.214.171.124.5 Australia & New Zealand
126.96.36.199.6 Rest of Asia-Pacific
188.8.131.52 North America
184.108.40.206.1 United States
220.127.116.11.4 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168.6 Rest of Europe
22.214.171.124 Rest of the World
126.96.36.199.1 South America
188.8.131.52.2 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)** Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Air Liquide
6.4.2 Air Products and Chemicals Inc.
6.4.3 Exxon Mobil Corporation
6.4.5 Gulf Cryo
6.4.6 Iwatani Corporation
6.4.7 Linde PLC
6.4.8 Matheson Tri-Gas Inc.
6.4.9 Messer Group GmbH
6.4.10 NexAir LLC
6.4.11 PGNIG SA
6.4.12 Qatargas Operating Company Limited
6.4.14 Weil Group
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Development of Efficient Storage and Transport Methods for Gases
7.2 Huge Reserve of Natural Gas Found in Tanzania
Helium Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Helium Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Helium Market?
The Helium Market is growing at a CAGR of >4% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Helium Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Helium Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Helium Market?
Air Liquide, Linde Plc, Matheson Tri-Gas Inc., Air Products and Chemicals Inc., Iwatani Corporation are the major companies operating in Helium Market.
Helium Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Helium market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Helium analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.