|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Graft Versus Host disease treatment market is projected to register a CAGR of 8.4% during the forecast period (2022-2027).
Graft-versus-Host disease (GVHD) is a condition that occurs in people who have received allogeneic transplantation. The donor immune cells attack the recipient’s body organs and cause a ‘cytokine storm.’ A cytokine storm refers to the overproduction of inflammatory cytokines, which may result in local organ damage. As per a mini review published in Nature in 2021, a similar condition occurs during the incidence of COVID 19, where the immune system of the infected individual produces increased levels of inflammatory cytokines, resulting in organ failures. Thus the severity of the GVHD increases when the patient is affected by COVID 19. The increase in complications poses a serious challenge to the healthcare system globally during the COVID 19 pandemic. Thus, there is an increasing demand for the Graft-versus-Host disease treatment market to hinder further complications that develop due to COVID 19.
The increase in the treatment of cancer through bone marrow/hematopoietic stem cell transplant is the major driver which is anticipated to boost the growth of the market. According to the Transplant Activity Report by the Health Resources & Services Administration, the number of hematopoietic cell transplants (HCT) in the United States for treating damaged bone marrow has increased from 19% in 2015 to 21% in 2019. The rise in the HCTs has also increased the complications, resulting in a spike in the number of GVHD among HCT-treated patients. As per a report published in StatPearls Publishing in October 2021, it was found that the incidence of acute GVHD was found to be about 50% for patients receiving HCT from Human Leukocyte Antigen (HLA) matched siblings, and the range was even higher in unmatched donors. The incidence of chronic GVHD was found to be in the range of 6-80%.
A review article featured in Frontiers in Immunology in October 2020 revealed that a second-line treatment is required by about 50% - 60% of chronic GVHD (cGVHD) patients. Several new strategies are being studied to hinder the cGVHD by targeting the B cells or T cells for immune regulation, thereby reducing inflammation and diminishing the severity of the disease. According to an article published in Elsevier in June 2021, in the United States, 42% of the patients had developed cGVHD within three years of allogenic HCT; 66% of those affected by cGVHD were found to have acute GVHD prior. The refractory nature of the cGVHD is expected to propel the growth of the GVHD treatment market. More research is focused on drugs for the GVHD treatment that will have a positive impact on the market growth. For example, a recent news article by National Cancer Institute in May 2020 investigated the use of ruxolitinib for treating GVHD patients who do not respond to other treatments based on a randomized clinical trial. High investments in R&D capabilities by the industry players and governments are anticipated to create lucrative opportunities in the market. For instance, in June 2021, Equillium, Inc. announced the completion of an End-of-Phase 1 meeting with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for itolizumab in first-line treatment of patients with acute graft-versus-host disease (aGVHD). Thus, the positive outcome of such clinical trials will lead to new treatments, which will likely boost the market growth over the forecast period.
- Recent breakthroughs in GVHD prophylaxis, including translational advances such as post-transplant cyclophosphamide (PTCy) along with other standard prophylaxis methods, have shown a reduction in the incident rates of cGVHD, as per an article published in Frontiers in Immunology in April 2021. Further studies on phase III randomized trials for the commercialization of such translational advances are expected to advance the growth of the market. Thus the increasing prevalence of GVHD complications among the HCT-treated patients resulted in the growing awareness about the HCT treatments and the resulting GVHD complications. Thus the increasing prevalence of bone marrow or hematopoietic stem cell treatment is expected to propel the growth of the market in the forecast period. However, the high cost of the GVHD treatment is expected to limit the growth of the market.
Scope of the Report
As per the scope of this report, Graft Versus Host Disease is a complication of the hematopoietic stem cell transplant. The donor’s graft stem cells or the bone marrow attack the recipient’s body. The Graft Versus Host disease treatment market is segmented by Disease (Acute Graft Versus Host Disease and Chronic Graft Versus Host Disease), by Product (Corticosteroids, Monoclonal antibodies, Tyrosine kinase inhibitors, and others), by End User (Hospital pharmacies, Online pharmacies, and Online pharmacies) and Geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and Rest of the World). The Market report also covers the estimated market sizes and trends of major regions globally. The report offers values (in USD million) for the above segments.
|Acute Graft-Versus-Host disease|
|Chronic Graft-Versus-Host disease|
|Tyrosine kinase inhibitors|
|By End User|
|Rest of the World|
Key Market Trends
The Corticosteroids Segment is Expected to Hold a Major Market Share in the Graft-versus-Host disease treatment Market.
A study published in Elsevier in December 2020 showed that corticosteroids and corticosteroid combination therapy were the most common treatment methods for chronic Graft versus Host disease. Another study presented in Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute in November 2021 implied that the use of glucocorticoids, a subclass of corticosteroids, was found to lower the progression of moderate GVHD.
A recent phase II study by Incyte Corporation completed in 2019 investigated the efficacy of the combination of ruxolitinib with corticosteroids in patients with steroid-refractory Graft versus Host disease. The overall survival rate was found to increase in patients following treatment with ruxolitinib combined with corticosteroids.
The corticosteroids segment is expected to hold the major share in the forecast period due to increasing research and development in the corticosteroid and corticosteroid combination therapy to treat HCT patients with Graft-versus-Host disease. Furthermore, the absence of second-line treatment for patients suffering from steroid-refractory chronic Graft versus Host disease, as presented in an article published in Nature in 2021, demonstrates the huge scope of research that help benefit the expansion of the Graft-versus-Host disease treatment market.
- The rise in the number of cancer cases in the world is expected to boost the growth of the graft versus host treatment market. According to Globocan 2020, the number of cancer cases around the world is expected to reach around 29 million cases by 2040. The huge increase in the disease population increases the number of transplantations done and, in turn, increases the Graft versus Host disease cases. According to the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network of the US Department of Human Health Services, around 41,355 transplants were performed in the US in 2021. This increase is expected to propel the growth of the market in the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America is Expected to Hold a Significant Share in the Market and Expected to do Same in the Forecast Period (2022 - 2027).
According to the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network, operated under the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, the total number of transplants performed in the United States as of February 10, 2022, is 881,079, which has surpassed the number of transplants done by any other region. Out of the 36,530 transplants done in 2018, HCT transplants comprised 22,729 cases. The huge patient pool in the North American region is expected to boost the growth of the market in the region. Also, the increasing prevalence of the aging population in the region due to medical advancements is expected to propel the growth of the market in the future.
- As per recent statistical data in 2021 by NCI’s Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program, the median age for the diagnosis of cancer is 66 years, implying that the rate of cancer diagnosis is higher in the older population. Sophisticated healthcare infrastructure, the increase in the pharmaceutical companies' investment in the development of GVHD treatment drugs, and the rise in the approval of pipeline drugs by the FDA are the major factors responsible for the boost of the Graft-versus-Host treatment market in the North American region. Following the U.S., Europe is expected to lead the market due to the increasing prevalence of cancer cases and the growth in R&D investment.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The Graft Versus Host disease treatment market is fragmented abd competitive and consists of several major players. In terms of market share, a few of the major players are currently dominating the market. Some of the companies which are currently dominating the market are Pfizer Inc., Abbvie Inc., Sanofi (Kadmon Pharmaceuticals), Sanofi (Genzyme), Incyte Corporation, Bristol Myers Squibb Company, Genentech Inc., Astellas Pharma US Inc. and others.
· In September 2021, U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the use of Ruxolitinib for the treatment of chronic Graft-versus-Host disease after failure of any two conventional treatments in patients of age 12 years or older. Ruxolitinib is a promising candidate drug since the drug helps to overcome steroid resistance associated with Graft-versus-Host disease.
- · In July 2021, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Belumosudil for the treatment of chronic Graft-versus-Host disease. The drug is permissible for patients older than 12 years and older and those who have already attempted two other treatments.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and market definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Increasing Rate of Bone Marrow or Hematopoietic Stem Cell Treatment
4.2.2 Increasing Number of Pipeline Drugs
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 High Cost of Graft-Versus-Host Disease Treatment
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Disease
5.1.1 Acute Graft-Versus-Host disease
5.1.2 Chronic Graft-Versus-Host disease
5.2 By Product
5.2.2 Monoclonal antibodies
5.2.3 Tyrosine kinase inhibitors
5.3 By End User
5.3.1 Hospital pharmacies
5.3.2 Online pharmacies
5.3.3 Retail pharmacies
5.4.1 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.4 Rest of the World
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Pfizer Inc.
6.1.2 Sanofi (Kadmon Pharmaceuticals)
6.1.3 Astellas Pharma Inc.
6.1.4 Incyte Corporation
6.1.5 AbbVie Inc.
6.1.6 Bristol Myers Squibb Company
6.1.7 Sanofi (Genzyme)
6.1.8 Genentech Inc.
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Global Graft Versus Host disease Treatment Market market is studied from 2019 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Global Graft Versus Host disease Treatment Market?
The Global Graft Versus Host disease Treatment Market is growing at a CAGR of 8.4% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Global Graft Versus Host disease Treatment Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Global Graft Versus Host disease Treatment Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Global Graft Versus Host disease Treatment Market?
Abbvie Inc., Sanofi, Bristol Myers Squibb Company , Pfizer Inc. , Incyte Corporation are the major companies operating in Global Graft Versus Host disease Treatment Market.