Cosmetic Packaging Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Market Size (2024)
|USD 28.73 Billion
|Market Size (2029)
|USD 36.81 Billion
|CAGR (2024 - 2029)
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Cosmetic Packaging Market Analysis
The Cosmetic Packaging Market size is estimated at USD 28.73 billion in 2024, and is expected to reach USD 36.81 billion by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 5.08% during the forecast period (2024-2029).
Packaging in the cosmetic industry has gone leaps and bounds in recent years. The cosmetic industry has the most varied packaging requirements among the other sectors. The materials used vary from different metals from glass, paper, and Plastics, and these materials can make containers with different shapes and sizes and dispensing mechanisms.
- Plastic in primary containers, secondary flexible pouches, caps, closures, and the nozzle is one of the cosmetic industry's primary packaging materials. The plastic tube is one of the significant containers in the cosmetic industry as it can store liquid-solid and semisolid materials and dispense products in controlled proportions. Also, compared to other container tubes, it can provide better contamination protection.
- Various suppliers have devised innovative offerings to cater to the increasing tube demand. Sally Hansen, a major cosmetics manufacturer in the global market, developed a squeezable tube paired with an applicator tip with Topline's help. Additionally, Albea, a packaging solution provider, developed a Teardrop tube with a drop-by-drop dispensing system for liquid formulations. Also, Cosmogen offered a revised tube version of its Squeeze'N Roll package with an attached massage roller. Furthermore, Global Packaging Inc. had also developed a tube with a ratchet on the head of the tube and a corresponding ratchet on the pump, ensuring a perfect leakproof assembly by applying the predetermined torque while protecting the accidental opening.
- Enterprises are also looking to drive the change with a plan to combat climate change and reduce the environmental impacts of packaging. For instance, Stora Enso introduced barrier-coated, grease-resistant paperboard tubes for cosmetics packaging. This tube packaging method is suitable for the primary packaging of skin cream products and is considered a new, climate-friendly alternative to plastic tubes. But the cosmetics industry now seems united on reducing the impact of plastic pollution with new thoughtful packaging strategies and advanced formulations.
- Fluctuation of the raw material prices can hinder the growth of the market. Post-Covid, the manufacturing and packaging company is facing the issue of high raw material costs due to the disruption.
- Besides, several cosmetic packaging exhibitions and trade shows promote various new packaging technologies. For example, Cosmo Tech Expo is India's most significant manufacturing solutions trade show for the cosmetic, personal care, perfumery, and toiletries markets. The expo brings exhibitors to display the latest ingredients, raw materials, packaging, labeling, machinery, OEM and private labeling, testing, lab equipment, and regulatory solutions offered by over 8,000 manufacturers worldwide. Similarly, CPNA (Cosmoprof North America) is the most awarded B2B beauty event in the Americas. CPNA has been recognized as the premier launching platform for new beauty brands, offering unique, innovative products and gathering information about new distribution channels, packaging, and manufacturing solutions.
- With the outbreak of COVID-19, several premium beauty product outlets were shut down. Some of these stores will never open again, and new openings will get delayed for at least a year. While brick-and-mortar drugstores and mass-market and grocery stores remain open, their customer traffic and revenues have plummeted. However, some beauty-product brands and retailers with inventory and shipment operations ready to scale up report e-commerce sales significantly higher than the pre-COVID-19 levels.
Cosmetic Packaging Market Trends
Plastic is Expected to Hold Significant Share
- Plastic is a prominent material in cosmetic packaging due to its low cost, lightweight, flexibility, durability, and other factors. Plastics are a material of choice for manufacturing shatterproof and "no-spill" bottles, jars, tubes, caps, and closures for personal care products. According to the Packaging Machinery Manufacturers Institute (PMMI), at 61% market share, plastic packaging, such as bottles, jars, compacts, and tubes, dominate in cosmetics and other personal care products, where bottles are the most commonly used containers, accounting for 30% of the market. The most common and least expensive cosmetic bottles produced from HDPE are economical, impact-resistant, and maintain a sound moisture barrier. Lotion bottles come in all different sizes and forms, and some lotions remain in capped tubes.
- Moreover, the most common type of plastic used for cosmetic containers is PP plastics. However, these can also come in more affordable PET or higher-end acrylic plastic. Acrylic plastic is usually transparent and resembles glass. This material has an advantage over glass as it is not prone to breakage. However, PP plastic is more affordable than acrylic and usually comes in round or tube-like shaped plastic containers. PP plastic containers can be molded into heart shapes, character shapes, or square shapes to suit the cosmetic product's style or marketing to get distributed. Companies primarily use jars and pots for face creams, lotions, foundations, lip balms, powders, and other cosmetics, where the size ranges from 20mm to 60mm and can hold anywhere from 25 ml (or less) to 250 ml.
- For instance, SKS Bottle & Packaging Inc. offers various plastic jars in different sizes with multiple closure options, from silver caps with sifters lined caps to the plastic dome. They provide PET jars for products, such as lip balm and eye cream, and white polypropylene thick wall jars with lined caps for lotions, balms, etc., with many more ranges.
- Design experts have favored tubular packaging for a long seeking to capitalize on tubes' convenience and portability to hold cosmetics and other personal care items. For instance, introducing Vaseline Jelly in a flip-cap jar and Dove's Advanced Hair Series Dry Oil Shampoo in a squeezable plastic tube in the UAE facilitated convenient usage.
- As manufacturers seek options to reduce the amount of material used per product, plastics deliver exceptional gains in providing lightweight packaging solutions that use fewer materials. Moreover, over the last decade, plastic's environmental impacts have slowed the segment's slowdown.
- However, the availability of recycled plastics and innovations in material technology have enabled environmentally-friendly packaging solutions. The players focus on refillable packaging as a design solution to create sustainable features. Brands are embracing the natural discoloration that provides PCR (post-consumer recycled) plastics. These refillable products are bridging this gap at the luxury end of the market.
- According to data released in May 2022, the use of plastics for packaging will triple by 2060, surpassing 380 million tons. Packaging is forecast to account for 31% of global plastics use that year.
North America is Expected to Significant Share
- The US is one of the biggest markets for cosmetics, personal care products, and fragrances market. Players like L'Oréal, Unilever, Procter & Gamble Co., and other leading brands have dominated the country's cosmetics market. Similarly, the cosmetic packaging landscape in the country gets consolidated with a few significant players like Albea SA, AptarGroup Inc., Smurfit Kappa Group PLC, WestRock Co., and Graphic Packaging Holding Co. dominating market share.
- The country's primary product categories include skincare, makeup, haircare, perfumes, deodorants and toiletries, and oral cosmetics. The US cosmetics market is experiencing a growing demand for premiumization, in line with the global trend. It, in turn, drives the need for innovative and premium packaging. In sync with the premiumization demands and intense focus on innovative and decorative packaging, Apatar Group Inc. acquired Fusion Packaging to expand its differentiated design and decorative offerings for the cosmetics segment.
- The US is also experiencing an increased use of e-commerce channels to procure personal care products by consumers. While the share of online sales remains low, it is expected to grow during the forecast period. Furthermore, Unilever has made new acquisitions based on selling products through online channels. Plastic and glass bottles are the most preferred packaging materials for skincare products. Hence, with this product category's growth, the use of materials is also expected to experience a positive growth trajectory.
- In plastics, PP, PE, HPE, PET, and acrylic ingredients are the most preferred materials for plastic bottles. The increasing use of online channels will grow cheaper and safer plastics to transport than glass. Additionally, the US consumer market is experiencing a demand for beauty products categorized as natural, driven by consumer perception of these products being safer. On this account, the US government has proposed a new bill to regulate products before labeling them as natural. It will likely lead to more detailed labeling of ingredients before labeling them as natural.
Cosmetic Packaging Industry Overview
The cosmetic packaging market is highly competitive and comprises several global and regional players. Innovation and ease in deployment and usage, leading to end-to-end customer satisfaction through the product, have been the key factors driving product innovation and strategies among the market players. The key players are Silgan Holdings Inc. and DS Smith PLC.
March 2022 - During the MakeUp in Los Angeles tradeshow, WWP Beauty, a premier full-service provider to the international beauty industry, unveiled a lineup of fresh and environmentally friendly turnkey, packaging, and accessory collections.
July 2022 - Quadpack launched recyclable stick packaging for the solids market. Beauty packaging manufacturer Quadpack has launched a new packaging range for solid cosmetic stick formulas.
Cosmetic Packaging Market Leaders
DS Smith PLC
HCP Packaging Co. Ltd
Silgan Holdings Inc
Berry Global Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Cosmetic Packaging Market News
- September 2022 - Color cosmetics packaging launched sustainable ingredients & color cosmetic packaging from palettes to glass jars; these launches highlight continuous growth in the beauty sector. Tip Tubes are the latest packaging item from the Roberts Beauty Innovation program, making their debut at Makeup in New York in 2022.
- July 2022 - Chinese consumers can now purchase onTop's ground-breaking Renewal Oil Cream with molecularly recycled packaging due to a partnership with Eastman and WWP Beauty. onTop cosmetics is the first Chinese beauty brand to use Cristal Renew, a sustainable resin powered by Eastman's molecular recycling technologies. This industry-leading skincare packaging results from the close collaboration between onTop's value chain partners.
Cosmetic Packaging Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Increasing Consumption of Cosmetic Products
4.2.2 Increasing Focus on Innovation and Attractive Packaging
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Growing Sustainability Concerns
4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.5 Industry Attractiveness Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.5.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.5.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON THE INDUSTRY
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Material Type
6.2 By Product Type
6.2.1 Plastic Bottles and Containers
6.2.2 Glass Bottles and Containers
6.2.3 Metal Containers
6.2.4 Folding Cartons
6.2.5 Corrugated Boxes
6.2.6 Tubes and Sticks
6.2.7 Caps and Closures
6.2.8 Pump and Dispenser
6.2.11 Flexible Plastic Packaging
6.3 By Cosmetic Type
6.3.1 Hair Care
6.3.2 Color Cosmetics
6.3.3 Skin Care
6.3.4 Men's Grooming
6.3.6 Other Cosmetic Types
6.4.1 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
18.104.22.168 South Korea
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6.4.4 Latin America
126.96.36.199 Rest of Latin America
6.4.5 Middle East and Africa
188.8.131.52 United Arab Emirates
184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle East and Africa
18.104.22.168 South Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Albea SA
7.1.2 HCP Packaging Co. Ltd
7.1.3 RPC Group PLC (Berry Global Group)
7.1.4 Silgan Holdings Inc.
7.1.5 DS Smith PLC
7.1.6 Graham Packaging LP
7.1.7 Libo Cosmetics Company Ltd
7.1.8 AptarGroup Inc.
7.1.9 Amcor PLC
7.1.10 Cosmopak Ltd
7.1.11 Quadpack Industries SA
7.1.12 Rieke Corporation
7.1.13 Gerresheimer AG
7.1.14 Raepak Ltd
7.1.15 Ball Corporation
7.1.16 Verescence France
7.1.17 SKS Bottle & Packaging, Inc
7.1.18 Altium Packaging (Loews Corporation)
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
Cosmetic Packaging Market Research FAQs
How big is the Cosmetic Packaging Market?
The Cosmetic Packaging Market size is expected to reach USD 28.73 billion in 2024 and grow at a CAGR of 5.08% to reach USD 36.81 billion by 2029.
What is the current Cosmetic Packaging Market size?
In 2024, the Cosmetic Packaging Market size is expected to reach USD 28.73 billion.
Who are the key players in Cosmetic Packaging Market?
Albea S.A., DS Smith PLC, HCP Packaging Co. Ltd, Silgan Holdings Inc and Berry Global Inc. are the major companies operating in the Cosmetic Packaging Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Cosmetic Packaging Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in Cosmetic Packaging Market?
In 2024, the Asia Pacific accounts for the largest market share in Cosmetic Packaging Market.
What years does this Cosmetic Packaging Market cover, and what was the market size in 2023?
In 2023, the Cosmetic Packaging Market size was estimated at USD 27.27 billion. The report covers the Cosmetic Packaging Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Cosmetic Packaging Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
What is the fastest-growing packaging material in Cosmetic Packaging Market?
Plastic is the fastest growing packaging material due to its affordability, versatility, and lightweight properties, despite sustainability concerns.
Cosmetic Packaging Industry Report
The global cosmetic packaging market is on a significant upswing, propelled by the escalating demand for cosmetic products alongside a surge for innovative, attractive, and eco-friendly packaging solutions. With plastic as a traditionally dominant material, there's a noticeable pivot towards sustainable alternatives like glass, metal, and paper-based options, driven by consumer preferences and regulatory mandates for environmental stewardship. The bottles segment, known for its durability, leads the market, particularly for fragrances and premium items, while the skincare category emerges as the top application sector due to the worldwide demand for personal care products. The Asia Pacific region takes the lead due to its vast population, increasing disposable incomes, and digital advancements shaping consumer habits. North America and Europe are not far behind, with a keen focus on sustainable packaging and premium cosmetic offerings. Despite challenges like environmental concerns and volatile raw material costs, the market is evolving with cutting-edge packaging designs and materials, striving to align with consumer expectations and sustainability criteria. Statistics for the cosmetic packaging market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Cosmetic packaging analysis includes a market forecast outlook and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.