Generative Design Industry Overview
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
|CAGR:||< 16.06 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Generative Design Market Analysis
The Generative Design Market is expected to register a CAGR of 16.06% during the forecast period. The upcoming trend of designing toolsets with machine learning capabilities contributes to the growth of the market studied. Significant investments made during last year aimed at empowering designers to reduce the number of errors, thereby saving considerable time, are expected to produce results in the future.
- The growing demand for advanced manufacturing with complex designs and the need to reduce the size while improving the performance of automotive compels automotive manufacturers to increase their R&D investments and adopt generative designing.
- Companies such as Airbus, Black & Decker, Under Armour, and other massive corporations embrace generative design as a trend molding the future of the engineering industry. It enables engineers to hand the reins off to their CAD software to naturally find the best solutions to a given set of constraints. It augments the engineer's imagination.
- Generative design is in the initial development stage, meaning that early users may come across specific challenges. For instance, defining a design problem in computable terms, which generative design software has to solve, will include a steep learning curve. Engineers need to be more experienced with revealing the design problem as a set of parameters may end up with loosely defined structural restraints or loads, ultimately resulting in a failed design.
- There are over 30,000 parts in an average car, and creating all these pieces and then putting them together requires an incredibly complex supply chain and manufacturing capabilities. However, General Motors and the San Francisco-based software company Autodesk plan to upend how cars are designed, reducing the number of car parts that go into each vehicle while making cars both lighter and more robust.
- Another point to consider with the generative design is that efficient methods can only sometimes be manufactured. For instance, in a Renishaw case study, engineers topologically optimized a suspension bell crank. They should have considered the optimized part's manufacturability. It resulted in a design that demanded a lot of supports to be printed, whereas a good practice is to design pieces with fewer supports as needed as possible. Such instances are anticipated to lay a negative impact on the market.
- However, generative design is used to help address the risks related to COVID-19. For instance, Digital Blue Foam is developing a tool to help address the risks associated with the use and occupancy of interior spaces due to COVID-19. Covid Space Planner analyses factors such as total occupancy and proximity, airflow and ventilation, and the duration of activity in the space. Based on these factors, the tool applies Digital Blue Foam's generative design capabilities to recommend spatial planning strategies, such as the location of entry points, work areas, furniture placement, and retrofits, to mitigate the risk.
Generative Design Industry Segments
Engineering software known as generative design automatically develops high-performance design iterations based on performance or space requirements, manufacturing processes, materials, and costs. It uses artificial intelligence (AI) algorithms to create highly customized complicated structures and internal lattices that are impossible to construct using traditional manufacturing techniques.
The Generative Design Market is segmented by Deployment (On-premise, Cloud), End User Vertical (Automotive, Aerospace and Defense, Architecture and Construction, Manufacturing Machinery), and Geography.
The market sizes and forecasts are provided in terms of value (USD million) for all the above segments.
|End User Vertical|
|Aerospace and Defense|
|Architecture and Construction|
|Other End User Verticals|
Generative Design Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Generative Design Market according to our research experts:
Automotive To Hold Significant Share
- The growing trend of lightweight vehicle products has generated demand for generative design technology. Volkswagen Group unveiled a vintage VW Microbus, retrofitted with several reconceptualized components produced by productive design technology. VW is promoting this vehicle to highlight technologies they believe would be significant to the future of automotive design and manufacturing, particularly concerning electric vehicle production. Autodesk partnered with VW’s Innovation and Engineering Center, California (IECC), on this project to maximize its strength while minimizing its weight. The generative design was deployed to produce lighter-weight parts by reducing mass and material use while maintaining high-performance standards and engineering constraints.
- Also, in January last year, Electric vehicle company Arcimoto Inc announced that it is working with XponentialWorks and ParaMatters to design and additively manufacture lightweight components for its Fun Utility Vehicle (FUV). For deploying ParaMatters’ AI-powered generative design software, several elements are being redesigned to generate alternative parts with much of the same performance characteristics but at a lighter weight.
- Weight reduction has become a critical concern for electric vehicle efficiency as the less an automobile weighs, the less energy is required to propel down the road. More efficient energy consumption equates to a more excellent range per charge, which is one of the most important considerations for consumers when evaluating electric vehicles.
- According to Autodesk, General Motors used generative design earlier in the previous year in a proof-of-concept project to develop a lightweight seat bracket prototype for its future electric cars. With such demand for light parts in automobiles, the demand for generative design is anticipated to increase significantly.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Europe to Witness Significant Growth Rate
- The European automotive sector has risen significantly in the global industry. It has achieved record sales, and as a significant employer and a source of considerable grantmaking, it is an integral part of European society.
- With the presence of several global automotive OEMs, Europe has the broad-scale implementation of 3D printing technology for design formulation and R&D applications in the automotive industry. Top automotive leaders, such as Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Volkswagen, and many others, have produced a potential space for 3D technology and printers in the European market.
- AUDI AG, a German automaker, has implemented polymer-based 3D printing technology for its production line at the Bollinger Hofe plant in Germany. Such instances of adoption are high, owing to the enhanced capabilities of manufacturers and lessened dependency on the supply chain for critical components that may result in a breakdown. According to Sculpteo, a 3D printing company, the highest priorities for Europeans using 3D printing are stimulating product development and offering customized products and limited series.
- Moreover, the region is witnessing growth in the sales of electric vehicles. Electric vehicle sales are rising in Europe as diesel vehicle sales continue downward. The increase in BEV registrations was most noticeable in Scandinavian countries such as Denmark, which saw a quadrupling of BEV sales, and Sweden and Finland, which saw a tripling, followed by Poland, Belgium, and Greece. Further modifications in electric vehicles, such as increasing the battery time, and reducing the vehicle's weight, would demand generative design software.
- Apart from the automotive sector, the region is witnessing demand from the manufacturing industry. The increasing demand for additive manufacturing and 3D printing in the region is anticipated to augment the generative design market.
- To help industrial manufacturers improve the skills of their workforce, the French government has entrusted AIF with establishing a reference system of additive manufacturing and training skills across the nation. Within this context, Cetim, in partnership with Cetim-Certec, its associated center, has already begun to develop a full training program dedicated to additive manufacturing, which covers the entire value chain.
- Further, the significant outbreak of COVID-19 in the region, affecting more than 120,000 people in the region, according to Worldometers during the pandemic, has significantly driven the market for 3D printing in the region. With the increased in demand for 3D printing, especially in the healthcare sector for manufacturing ventilators, the need for generative design has been witnessing growth.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Generative Design Market Competitor Analysis
The market for Generative Design is moderately fragmented. The presence of several companies, including Altair Engineering Inc. and ANSYS Inc., makes the competitive environment quite intense. Factors such as the growing demand from the automotive industry and the availability of trial or free versions of the generative design will provide considerable growth opportunities for generative design manufacturers. The major companies covered in this report are Autodesk Inc., Dassault Systèmes SE, and Desktop Metal Inc.
In June 2022 - The global computational science and artificial intelligence (AI) company Altair recently purchased the Gen3D startup from the University of Bath in the United Kingdom. When it comes to using the implicit geometry method to describe highly complex geometries, like lattice structures, Gen3D is a pioneer in additive manufacturing.
In October 2022 - To accelerate the adoption of additive manufacturing (AM) for production applications with a focus on the biggest manufacturers in the world, Siemens and Desktop Metal, Inc., market leaders in digitalization and additive manufacturing technologies, have announced a multifaceted partnership.
Generative Design Market Top Players
Altair Engineering Inc.
Dassault Systèmes SE
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Generative Design Market Recent Developments
- August 2022 - The provider of generative design software for additive manufacturing, ParaMatters, was acquired by Carbon, a company that develops technology for 3D printing. This acquisition would add topology optimization to Carbon's present software capabilities. Carbon could use the ParaMatters software to increase its generative design capabilities for additive manufacturing.
- January 2022 - A funding round between Saffelberg Investments and Diabatix NV, a scale-up based in Leuven, Belgium, which specializes in AI-driven generative thermal design, has been successfully closed. Based on a reference client portfolio, this investment will enable the business to accelerate the growth of its Coldstream platform. Diabatix can quickly and effectively design, analyze, and optimize heat sinks and cold plates through AI and generative design.
Generative Design Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter Five Forces
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.2.5 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3 Industry Stakeholder Analysis
4.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry Ecosystem
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Rise in latest technology in automobile segment to boost the market
5.1.2 Growing Demand for Advanced Technologies to Drive Product Innovation and Production Efficiency
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Complexity in Using Generative Design Software
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.2 End User Vertical
6.2.2 Aerospace and Defense
6.2.3 Architecture and Construction
6.2.4 Industrial Manufacturing
6.2.5 Other End User Verticals
6.3.1 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 Rest of North America
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6.3.4 Latin America
126.96.36.199 Rest of Latin America
6.3.5 Middle East and Africa
188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle East and Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Altair Engineering Inc.
7.1.2 Bentley Systems, Inc.
7.1.3 Autodesk Inc.
7.1.4 ANSYS inc.
7.1.5 Desktop Metal Inc.
7.1.6 Dassault Systèmes SE
7.1.7 MSC Software Corporation (Hexagon AB)
7.1.8 nTopology, Inc.
7.1.11 Caracol AM
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. MARKET OUTLOOK
Generative Design Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Generative Design Market market is studied from 2019 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Generative Design Market?
The Generative Design Market is growing at a CAGR of <16.06% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Generative Design Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Generative Design Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Generative Design Market?
Altair Engineering Inc., Autodesk Inc., ANSYS inc., Dassault Systèmes SE, Hexagon AB are the major companies operating in Generative Design Market.
Generative Design Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Generative Design sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Generative Design research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to (2023to2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Generative Design report PDF.