|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The global gas separation membrane market is valued at USD 957.47 million in 2021 and is projected to register a CAGR of 5.87% during the forecast period (2022-2027).
- The major factors driving the market studied are the increasing demand for membranes in carbon dioxide separation processes and strict government norms towards GHG emissions.
- On the flipside, plasticization of polymeric membranes in high-temperature applications and growth in shale investment has been hindering the market growth significantly.
- The development of mixed matrix membranes and polymeric membranes and expanding applications are expected to create opportunities for the market studied.
- Asia-Pacific represents the largest market and is also expected to be the fastest-growing market over the forecast period, owing to the increasing consumption from countries, such as China, India, and Japan.
Scope of the Report
Gas separation membranes work on the principle of selective permeation through the membrane surface. Synthetic membranes made of polymers like polyamide or cellulose acetate, as well as ceramic materials, can effectively separate gas mixtures. The gas separation membrane market is segmented by material type, application, and geography. By material type, the market is segmented into polyimide and polyaramide, polysulfone, cellulose acetate, and others. By application, the market is segmented into nitrogen generation and oxygen enrichment, hydrogen recovery, carbon dioxide removal, removal of hydrogen sulphide, and other applications. The report also covers the market sizes and forecasts for the gas separation membrane market in 15 countries across different regions. For each segment, the market size is provided in terms of value (USD million).
|Polyimide and Polyaramide|
|Other Material Types|
|Nitrogen Generation and Oxygen Enrichment|
|Carbon Dioxide Removal|
|Removal of Hydrogen Sulphide|
Key Market Trends
Hydrogen Recovery Application to Dominate the Market
- With the growing demand for clean energy, the demand for hydrogen is growing globally. Hydrogen is extensively used in hydro-treating and hydrocracking for cleaner and higher-value fuels and demand for chemical products and electronics production. The processes used to generate hydrogen create residual gas streams or byproducts that still retain a significant amount of valuable pressurized hydrogen. Therefore, gas separation membrane modules are employed to economically recover hydrogen from such gas streams with minimal losses. These membrane modules achieve separations that results in 90 -99.9% of hydrogen purities
- Hydrogen separation and recovery are extensively used during downstream treatment processes at high enough temperatures. The separation membranes are used for hydrogen separation converting natural gas via steam reforming reactions. In this process, methane conversion and hydrogen separation are carried out in a single component. The equilibrium shifting in this case by continuous hydrogen removal increases the degree of chemical conversion, enhancing the overall plant efficiency.
- Despite countries growing initiatives towards decarbonization, more than 75% of global energy demand is met through fossil fuels. Unlike fossil fuels, hydrogen as an energy source produces water as the only byproduct. Using hydrogen as an energy source may significantly help address issues related to energy security, global climate change, and air pollution. Furthermore, the abundant availability of hydrogen in the universe contains the highest energy content per unit of weight compared to any known fuels.
- Hydrogen is recovered from refinery and petrochemical streams so it may be used in hydro-treating operations to produce low sulfur fuels. Membranes are used to efficiently recover and recycle hydrogen contained in purge gas to adjust H2 / CO ratio.
- According to Global Hydrogen Outlook, 2021, by IEA, based on planned projects and existing plants, global hydrogen production from fossil fuels with carbon capture and storage (CCSU)is expected to reach 9 Mt by 2030. In the United Kingdom, domestic low-carbon hydrogen production capacity is expected to reach 5 GW by 2030
- Thus, growing hydrogen production may augment the hydrogen recovery procedures in refining and petrochemicals application, boosting the demand for gas separation membranes.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific is anticipated to account for the largest and the fastest-growing market for gas separation membrane, attributed to growing industrialization in the region, which, in turn, boosts the market growth.
- Rising emphasis on CO2 reduction and rising biogas demand in countries such as Indonesia, China, and India are expected to drive market growth.
- This growth is driven mainly by the rising demand for carbon dioxide removal from reservoirs, increasing demand for sanitation and freshwater, increasing urbanization, and improved standard of living. Rapid growth and innovation, coupled with industry consolidations, are expected to lead to the rapid growth of the market in the region.
- However, The oil and gas sector is one of the largest application industries for gas separation membranes in China. China has been investing to scale up its refining capacity over the past two decades to its growing economy. Moreover, for long-term period China has continuously expanded its refining capacity for all type of crudes. According to Institute for Energy Research, China is likely to register 20 million barrels of refining capacity at the end of 2025 which will trigger the demand for gas separation membranes in the upcoming years.
- Moreover, crude oil output of China has registered 33.47 million tons in first two months of 2022 which is about 4.6 per cent up from the same period of previous year. According to National Bureau of Statistics China, the daily output of crude oil is nearly 576,000 tons. Since gas separation membranes are widely used for oil & gas industry from oil well head to oil recovery to refinery, it will significantly augment product demand in near future.
- Increasing biogas production in developing countries, particularly in Asia-Pacific, as well as the technique's cost-effectiveness, is further boosting the market growth. The presence of numerous reservoirs and rising shale gas production across South East Asian nations are expected to drive global demand for gas separation membranes.
- Additionally, the increasing use of gas separation membranes for the control of CO2 emissions from the industrial effluents is expected to have a positive impact. Strengthening government regulations to curb the gaseous emissions are expected to fuel the demand for the product in the future.
- India is seeing some huge investments from both domestic and foreign players in the oil and gas industry. According to the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, the country is looking to cut its reliance on oil imports by 10% by 2022. The government is also planning to invest USD 2.86 billion in upstream oil and gas production to double the country’s natural gas production to 60 bcm and drill more than 120 exploration wells by 2022. This is expected to create a huge demand for gas separation membranes in the country.
- Furthermore, significant growth of natural gas production in the region may propel the demand for gas separation membrane in acid gases separation in the regional market.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The gas separation membrane market is partially consolidated in nature, with a few major players dominating a significant portion of the market. Some of the major companies are Air Products Inc., UBE Industries Ltd, Air Liquide, Evonik, and Membrane Technology and Research Inc. among others.
- In July 2021, Air Liquide provided CO2 membrane technology to Siemens Energy for the FPSO project in an offshore South American oil field in July 2021. For an FPSO project, Siemens Energy has chosen Air Liquide's CO2 Removal System for energy shipping company MISC Berhad (MISC).
- In October 2021, Air Products announced a new brand identity for its world-leading membrane business units, including Air Products PRISM® Membranes, Air Products Norway, and Permea China Ltd., in October 2021. All of these teams will now be known as Air Products Membrane Solutions and will operate globally.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Demand for Membranes in Carbon Dioxide Separation Processes
4.1.2 Strict Government Norms toward GHG Emissions
4.2.1 Plasticization of Polymeric Membranes in High-temperature Applications
4.2.2 Growth in Shale Investment
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Material Type
5.1.1 Polyimide and Polyaramide
5.1.3 Cellulose Acetate
5.1.4 Other Material Types
5.2.1 Nitrogen Generation and Oxygen Enrichment
5.2.2 Hydrogen Recovery
5.2.3 Carbon Dioxide Removal
5.2.4 Removal of Hydrogen Sulphide
5.2.5 Other Applications
22.214.171.124 South Korea
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
18.104.22.168 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
126.96.36.199 South Africa
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles (Overview, Financials**, Products and Services, and Recent Developments)
6.4.1 Air Liquide
6.4.2 Air Products Inc.
6.4.3 DIC Corporation
6.4.4 FUJIFILM Corporation
6.4.5 Schlumberger Limited
6.4.6 Ube Industries Ltd
6.4.8 Honeywell International Inc.
6.4.9 Membrane Technology and Research Inc.
6.4.12 Linde PLC (Praxair)
6.4.13 Parker Hannifin Corp
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Development of Mixed Matrix Membranes
7.2 Development in Polymeric Membranes and Expanding Applications
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Gas Separation Membrane Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Gas Separation Membrane Market?
The Gas Separation Membrane Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.87% over the next 5 years.
What is Gas Separation Membrane Market size in 2017?
The Gas Separation Membrane Market is valued at 957 Million USD in 2017.
Which region has highest growth rate in Gas Separation Membrane Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Gas Separation Membrane Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Gas Separation Membrane Market?
Air Liquide, Air Products Inc., UBE INDUSTRIES,LTD, Membrane Technology and Research Inc., Evonik are the major companies operating in Gas Separation Membrane Market.