Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The French E-commerce Market was valued at USD 68.35 billion in 2021, and it is expected to reach USD 105.03 billion by 2027, recording a CAGR of 7.49% over the forecast period from 2021 to 2027.
· The European e-commerce business has been expanding rapidly, providing exciting potential for online retailers in various industries. France is a key consumer market in Europe and a significant e-commerce market in terms of internet penetration, percentage of e-commerce consumers, and average expenditure. According to the E-commerce Foundation, in 2020, the e-commerce sector in France accounted for 4.79% of the country's GDP. Further, the e-commerce industry was expected to account for 5.19% of GDP in 2021.
· According to the Federation of e-commerce and distance selling, online retailers in France making more than EUR 10 million per year accounted for about 74.5% of all e-commerce revenue in 2021. With EUR 1 to 10 million yearly revenue, e-merchants accounted for 17.3% of the total e-commerce revenue.
· E-commerce enterprises generally store customers' bank account and credit card information. Email addresses, mailing addresses, usernames, and passwords are usually held by e-commerce enterprises, making them subject to cybersecurity attacks. Cybercriminals profit from this information by duplicating credit cards and utilizing users' personal information for identity theft and fraud. Hackers may potentially hold sensitive data hostage for ransom.
· The pandemic-induced lockdown and mobility restrictions represented a significant point for e-commerce in France, driving demand to new highs, bringing new shoppers and sellers into digital platforms, and offering players long-term growth. Containment efforts introduced people to the convenience of online buying. They motivated seasoned online buyers to buy more, making the Indian e-commerce business one of the significant beneficiaries of the pandemic.
Scope of the Report
The French e-commerce market is segmented by product type. The market studied by product type is further subdivided into fashion, electronics and media, furniture and appliances, food and personal care, toys, hobbies, DIY, and other product types. The different product types segment includes travel, tourism, and sport accessories/equipment.
|By B2C E-commerce|
|Market size (GMV) for the period of 2017-2027|
|By B2B E-commerce|
|Market size for the period of 2017-2027|
Key Market Trends
Rapid Increase in Mobile Traffic from B2C E-commerce Websites to Drive the Market
· M-commerce has the potential to become a major shopping channel and alter consumer purchasing behavior. Consumers are increasingly dependent on digital devices than ever before. According to the Federation of e-commerce and Distance Selling, the percentage of mobile e-commerce sales revenue in France has grown since 2012. Mobile device sales increased from 5% in 2012 to 48% in 2021.
· Furthermore, most smartphone users (18%) download digital applications, 11% buy cultural products, such as books, and 10% buy travel—mostly train tickets—on their phones. In addition, 4% of smartphone buyers purchase books, and 3% purchase CDs and DVDs. Smartphone shoppers claim they shop on their phones at home 74% of the time, while 20% say they shop on public transport.
· E-commerce businesses have realized the value and necessity of mobile commerce (m-commerce) with efficient, user-friendly apps. For instance, a partnership between Carrefour and Google Assistant has been established to allow customers to do their online click-and-collect grocery shopping in-app using voice recognition. Simple Maps was another valuable innovation, an interactive map showing users the top storied locations, including those that sell local and sustainable items within a certain radius.
· During the projected period, the introduction of 5G is expected to be one of the primary factors driving the growth of mobile traffic from b2c websites in France. Despite the publicity in France about the potential of 5G radiation being harmful to human health and the high cost of installing 5G in mobile telecommunications operators' infrastructure, the higher bandwidth and much faster connection speed that 5G represents can be expected to provide a welcome boost to the development of mobile traffic.
· Further, the majority of online retailers in the country have their websites/apps that are compatible with mobile phones, which is also accelerating e-commerce sales through mobile phones—as such, having a mobile phone-compatible application/website is increasingly being considered a crucial factor for success in the e-commerce market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Fashion Segment Holds the Largest Share
· Paris is considered an official fashion capital, alongside Milan, New York, London, and many other emerging cities worldwide. Fashion is a deeply rooted aspect of the country's culture and heritage. French people are significantly price-sensitive. They are regularly drawn in by special offers, discounts, and so on, whether online or in physical establishments. This factor creates several opportunities for the companies to expand their business in the country.
· Price remains the prime factor while purchasing, whether a luxury or affordable fashion brand, now that online shopping has become a trend. Third-party online retailers continue to grow, increasing the competition in the marketplace.
· In recent times, the fashion industry in the region has set its path toward sustainable and eco-friendly products. The effort to repurpose local resources and reduce waste is part of a broader trend among French firms to provide products made in France. In June 2021, the textile valley project was established by approximately 450 textile businesses to bring 1% of the country's textile business to the Hauts-de-France region and increase the sustainability of the companies in the region.
· Fashion e-commerce in France is evolving to serve the needs of the next generation of shoppers. Since the COVID-19 pandemic, there has been a significant increase in the adoption of e-commerce for fashion and clothing. With this increase in e-commerce, it has been observed that consumer engagement is a significant opportunity for business growth.
· With more buyers opting to buy from merchants that match their views, personalization and the act of relevance are the emerging trends in the region's e-commerce market. In recent times consumer expectations have evolved, and they want an exact solution to be provided for their need. To achieve this, fashion retailers are adopting a data-centric approach to the customers. Companies are acquiring data, such as buying habits, intent analysis, shopping appetite, frequency of purchase, and many more to leverage AI, to develop a personalized customer experience.
The level of rivalry in the industry is high, owing to the large number of players operating in the market. The number of local and global brands in the e-commerce market has increased, thus, leading to high competition. The growing popularity and adoption of e-commerce are attracting newer players to the market, leading to the further intensification of competitive rivalry in the French e-commerce market.
· May 2022 - Decathlon has chosen Quadient under its omnichannel strategy to strengthen and offer various delivery options to its customers. The company plans to accelerate its E-commerce by providing services such as 24-hour delivery across France, drive-thru pickup, rental, second-life, and many more.
· July 2021 - Bigcommerce has announced its strategic expansion in the countries of France, Netherlands, and Italy. Bigcommerce software enables merchants to utilize the platform to manage their stores by offering a flexible and enterprise-grade e-commerce platform.
· May 2022 - The French advertising and PR firm Publicis Groupe acquired Irish-founded e-commerce analytics company Profitero. This platform enables businesses to measure their market share growth performance against competitors, and also, the platform's analytics can track more than 70 million products across 700 retail websites, including Amazon.
· April 2022 - PlantX Life Inc. subsidiary Bloomboxclub Limited launched a new e-commerce platform in France. This new domain integrates PlantX's signature e-commerce and innovative digital infrastructure to improve the online user experience and boost customer satisfaction.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Defination
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness-Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Key Market Trends and Share of E-commerce of Total Retail Sector
4.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the E-commerce Sales
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growth Supported by the Evolution of Digital technology
5.1.2 High Emphasis on Fashion
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Reluctance Towards Mobile/Smartphone Based Payments
5.3 Analysis of Key Demographic Trends and Patterns Related to E-commerce Industry in France (Coverage to include Population, Internet Penetration, ecommerce Penetration, Age & Income etc.)
5.4 Analysis of the Key Modes of Transaction in the E-commerce Industry in France (coverage to include prevalent modes of payment such as cash, card, bank transfer, wallets, etc.)
5.5 Analysis of Cross-Border E-commerce Industry in France (Current market value of cross-border & key trends)
5.6 Current Positioning of France in the E-commerce Industry in Europe
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By B2C E-commerce
6.1.1 Market size (GMV) for the period of 2017-2027
6.1.2 Market Segmentation - by Application
184.108.40.206 Beauty and Personal Care
220.127.116.11 Consumer Electronics
18.104.22.168 Fashion and Apparel
22.214.171.124 Food & Beverage
126.96.36.199 Furniture & Home
188.8.131.52 Others (Toys, DIY, Media, etc.)
6.2 By B2B E-commerce
6.2.1 Market size for the period of 2017-2027
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Cdiscount SA
7.1.5 The Good Corner
7.1.6 eBay France SAS
7.1.7 Vertbaudet SAS
7.1.8 Leroy Merlin SA
7.1.9 Carrefour SA
7.1.10 La Redoute SA
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The France E-commerce Market market is studied from 2020 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of France E-commerce Market?
The France E-commerce Market is growing at a CAGR of 7.49% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in France E-commerce Market?
Zalando SE, Zara USA Inc., Showroomprive.com Sàrl, H & M Hennes & Mauritz GBC AB , La Redoute SAS are the major companies operating in France E-commerce Market.