Europe Sports Drink Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Forecast Data Period
|2024 - 2029
|Historical Data Period
|2019 - 2022
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Europe Sports Drink Market Analysis
The Europe sports drink market was valued at USD 1,867.0 million for the current year and is projected to register a CAGR of 5.14% over the next five years.
- The indulgence of individuals in some sort of physical activities, such as adventure sports and gyms, for recreational and health purposes represents one of the key factors boosting the consumption of sports drinks in Europe. According to the statistics published by Sport England in 2022, between November 2020 and November 2021, approximately 3.6 million people participated in adventure sports in England, compared to about 3.2 million people who participated between November 2019 and November 2020.
- Moreover, due to the busy lifestyles of individuals and their inclination towards healthy diets, there is a significant rise in the need for on-the-go functional beverages like sports drinks. These beverages are readily available in convenient packaging like bottles, cans, and tetra packs that are easy to carry and ideal on-the-go products for the working population.
- The inclination towards non-alcoholic beverages provides growth opportunities to players operating in the market. The statistic by UNESDA revealed that the total consumption of non-alcoholic beverages in the United Kingdom increased from 13.4 billion liters in 2020 to over 13.8 billion liters in 2021. Furthermore, companies are coming up with low-calorie, sugar-free products to cater to the demand of health-conscious consumers and individuals suffering from medical conditions like obesity and diabetes. Key players are adopting various unique strategies, such as endorsements, sponsorships, and building brand image and trademarks, to expand their consumer base and market share. For instance, in 2023, FC Barcelona secured a sponsorship agreement with Prime Hydration, created by KSI and Logan Paul. The brand has been announced as the official hydration partner for the next three seasons. Apart from this, due to the increasing influence of social media on the purchasing behavior of consumers, brands have been turning to social media platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube, to engage their consumers through promotional campaigns and drive sales.
- Therefore, the factors mentioned above are some of the primary factors likely to impel the growth of the sports drink market in Europe in the near future.
Europe Sports Drink Market Trends
Growing Fitness and Sports Participation
- The sports drink market is mostly driven by the popularity of athleisure trends like health and wellness. An increasing number of people participating in sports, such as athletics, bodybuilding, weightlifting, and cycling, drives the market for sports drinks in Europe. For instance, according to Sport England, in England, at least twice a month between May 2020 and May 2021, 1.5 million people played team sports.
- In 2021, according to Sport England, a survey revealed that 18% of male participants claimed to have cycled at least once a month, whereas 8.5% of females and 13.2% of individuals identifying as other genders were found to have cycled once a month for any purpose in the country. International sports events, such as cycling championships like UCI Road World Championships and Tour de France (a bicycle race), and others, also encourage the involvement of consumers in cycling. This, in turn, drives the market's growth.
- Moreover, Sports drinks manufacturers are capitalizing on the growing interest of active consumers in sports drinks, who are looking to hydrate before, during, and after exercise, thus taking strategic initiatives such as partnerships, product innovation, expansion, and others to gain a significant share in the market.
- For instance, in May 2021, RAW organic sports drink partnered with Alpine F1 Team. Per the company's claim, it offers healthy hydration for athletes and is made with organic and nutritionally functional ingredients, no additives, and no added sugars. It is suitable for a celiac and vegan diet. Thus, all the above-mentioned factors are positively impacting the market's growth.
Spain Dominates the European Sports Drink Market
Due to the rising awareness about health and wellness and the increasing prevalence of lifestyle medical conditions like obesity and diabetes, individuals indulge in physical body workouts to keep themselves active and fit. This, in turn, drives the demand for sports drinks to replenish glucose, fluids, and electrolytes lost during strenuous exercise and enhance endurance. According to a survey by the Ministry of Education, Culture, and Sport, in 2022, more than one-quarter of male respondents reported having practiced some sports daily, while approximately 21% of female respondents said the same.
Another main factor behind the significant market growth is the booming fitness industry. In 2022, a survey conducted by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport in Spain revealed that 19.8% of men and 21.3% of women were members of gyms. Meanwhile, 16.9% of male respondents reported being members of sports clubs, with a lower membership rate among women. Across all age groups in Spain, gym memberships had a more extensive penetration than sports clubs that year. Apart from this, prominent players are adopting innovative approaches, such as combining functional ingredients with natural flavors like turmeric, ginger, and honey, to make the products appealing and exciting to consumers. Such innovations will likely influence the demand for sports drinks in the country and contribute to the overall market growth in Europe.
Europe Sports Drink Industry Overview
The Europe sports drink market is highly competitive, with the presence of numerous players. The prominent companies in the region include The Coca-Cola Company, PepsiCo Inc., Suntory Holdings Limited, Oshee Polska Sp zoo, and Associated British Food PLC. The key strategies adopted by the major players are product development, innovative marketing campaigns, and mergers and acquisitions. Besides this, advanced distribution networks and manufacturing expertise give an upper edge to the manufacturers to expand their range of products worldwide.
Moreover, the companies have focused on continuous expansion to achieve a competitive advantage in the market and expand their geographical presence and customer base. Also, brands are differentiating their products in terms of design (size and weight), quality, and innovation to gain a competitive advantage.
Europe Sports Drink Market Leaders
The Coca-Cola Company
Suntory Holdings Limited
Oshee Polska Sp zoo
Associated British Food PLC
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe Sports Drink Market News
- June 2023: Coca-Cola's BodyArmorenters rapid hydration with the first significant product launches. BodyArmoris the inward-bound rapid rehydration beverage category with BodyArmorFlash IV.
- March 2023: Suntory Holdings brand Lucozade Sports launched a new zero-sugar sports drink in the United Kingdom market. The product is available in orange & peach and, raspberry & passion fruit flavors.
- March 2022: PepsiCo's sports drink brand Gatorade launched a new product Gatorade Fit. It is an electrolyte with no added sugar, artificial flavors, sweeteners & colors. The drink contains antioxidants, vitamins A & C. It is available on third-party retailers such as Amazon United Kingdom.
Europe Sports Drink Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.1.1 Growing Fitness and Sports Participation
4.1.2 Expenditure on Advertisement and Promotional Activities
4.2 Market Restraints
4.2.1 Concerns Over Health Issues Associated with Artificial Ingredients in Sports Drinks
4.2.2 Rising Competition from Other Functional Beverages
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.2 Distribution Channel
5.2.2 Convenience Stores/Grocery Stores
5.2.3 Online Retail Stores
5.2.4 Other Distribution Channels
5.3.4 United Kingdom
5.3.7 Rest of Europe
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 The Coca-Cola Company
6.3.2 Pepsico Inc.
6.3.3 Suntory Holdings Limited
6.3.4 Otsuka Holdings Co. Ltd
6.3.5 Rauch Fruchtsäfte Gmbh & Co. OG
6.3.6 Emerge Stimulation
6.3.7 United Soft Drinks BV
6.3.8 Associated British Foods PLC
6.3.9 Oshee Polska Sp Zoo
6.3.10 Foodcare Sp Zoo (4move)
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Europe Sports Drink Market Research FAQs
What is the current Europe Sports Drink Market size?
The Europe Sports Drink Market is projected to register a CAGR of 5.14% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in Europe Sports Drink Market?
The Coca-Cola Company, PepsiCo Inc., Suntory Holdings Limited, Oshee Polska Sp zoo and Associated British Food PLC are the major companies operating in the Europe Sports Drink Market.
What years does this Europe Sports Drink Market cover?
The report covers the Europe Sports Drink Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Europe Sports Drink Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Europe Sports Drink Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Europe Sports Drink market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Europe Sports Drink analysis includes a market forecast outlook 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.