Europe Metal Cans Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Market Size (2023)||USD 18.66 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 20.94 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||2.33 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Europe Metal Cans Market Analysis
The Europe Metal Cans Market size is estimated at USD 18.66 billion in 2023, and is expected to reach USD 20.94 billion by 2028, growing at a CAGR of 2.33% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
- Metal cans' recyclable properties drive the market as making products from recycled metals uses less energy, reduces carbon emissions, and uses less water than raw materials. Some metals, especially aluminum, are so profitable to recycle that companies pay people and businesses for their used metal. According to Waste Care Corporation, recycled aluminum cans alone generate approximately USD 800 million annually. In Europe, companies are contributing to more sustainability by recycling aluminum.
- The capacity to recycle beverage cans is another advantage for the environment. Beverage cans are the recycling champions in Germany, where up to 99.1% of packaging is recycled. The aluminum can be repeatedly melted into new items, including bicycle frames and aircraft parts. The metal uses 95% less energy during multi-recycling than primary manufacture, ensuring the best recycling circuit. Metal cans are well-positioned for expansion in the European packaging industry due to their high recycling capacity and environmental benefits. The metal can packaging market is projected to grow as a sustainable and preferred option for packaging materials due to improved consumer awareness, regulatory backing, circular economy activities, brand reputation concerns, and chances for innovation.
- Due to growing environmental concerns, metal cans are increasingly preferred over plastic and glass containers. One of the main factors influencing the market examined in the area is the strong recycling potential of metal cans, the region's economic situation, and the low cost of canned foods. Metal is the most recycled packaging, with 73% of aluminum beverage cans and 85.5% of steel packaging recycled in Europe, according to metal packaging.
- However, the presence of alternate packaging solutions is restraining the market from growing, as the replacement possibility of polymer-based packaging materials, including polyethylene and polyethylene terephthalate (PET), is witnessing a challenge in the metal can usage.
- Members of Metal Packaging Europe supported the strong measures taken by the national governments and the European Commission to stop the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. They were committed to guaranteeing the supply of metal packaging, abiding by the strictest safety and hygiene rules for food & beverage, hygiene, medical, and other essential goods throughout Europe. Further, the Russia-Ukraine war includes an impact on the overall packaging ecosystem.
Europe Metal Cans Market Trends
Food Cans to Witness Significant Growth
- The United Kingdom is experiencing high demand for packaged food due to rising income, ease and convenience, and availability of canned food. Additionally, consumer trends, such as a preference for small-size and multi-pack packaging formats, support the volume growth of metal cans in the food sector of the United Kingdom.
- Furthermore, consumers demand food cans due to their low environmental impact and increasing environmental concerns. The high recyclability of metal cans is one of the significant drivers of the market studied.
- The growing European demand for certain dry fruits, including cashew nuts and almonds, is a good opportunity for local vendors. Ethnic grocery stores are amassing a steady and growing customer base since they offer a variety of food products from beyond the domestic market. Also, metal cans increase their shelf life by maintaining the freshness of the dry fruits and protecting them from harmful outer substances or reactions.
- The surge in consumer demand for convenience and healthier food because of the busy lifestyle, especially among the working-class people, product innovation, and a rise in quick-service restaurants are expected to drive the canned soup market in the United Kingdom.
- In addition, an increasing number of consumers are seeking vegan or plant-based products, and the growth of the online retail sector is expected to create lucrative opportunities for the market players.
- The German online grocery sector is forecast to increase from USD 1.3 billion in 2018 to USD 3.8 billion in 2023 at a compound annual growth rate of 23.2%. According to the IGD (Institute of Grocery Distribution), it will likely include the biggest relative growth. There will be an increase in demand for packaged foods and beverages as the German online grocery sector grows. It will increase demand for the metal cans used to package these goods. Food products like fruits, vegetables, soups, and beverages like soft drinks and beer are frequently packaged in metal cans. Increased product volume packaged in metal cans could increase demand for metal cans in the European market due to the expansion of the online grocery business.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
United Kingdom to Hold Significant Market Share
- The United Kingdom is experiencing high demand for packaged food due to the rising incomes of the people, urbanization, changing lifestyles of the consumers, ease, and convenience in terms of the availability of canned food in the country. Additionally, consumer trends, such as a preference for small-size and multi-pack packaging formats, are supporting the growth of metal cans in the food sector across the United Kingdom.
- Due to consumer trends and preferences shifts, beverage cans are gaining momentum in specialty drink categories. Carbonated and flavored waters are successfully growing in cans. However, waters are discovering the potential of this pack, too. The progression of filling technology and know-how makes it feasible to pack vital drinks, such as wine, beer, water, carbonated drinks, etc., and keep them fresh and safe. This factor is expected to drive the beverage cans market.
- The cosmetic market in the United Kingdom is saturated with hair styling products, like serums, hair mousses, heat protection sprays, texture sprays, etc. The growing adoption of the products mentioned above due to the increasing customer purchasing power is expected to drive aerosol cans. Continuously improving consumer lifestyles is backing the demand from the personal care and cosmetic industry.
- Most washing car owners in the United Kingdom use car polishes to protect them against scratches, bird droppings (corrosive substances), and car washing. Thus, the increasing number of cars on the road is expected to augment the automotive polishes, dyes, and lubricating grease cans.
- The third quarter of 2021 saw consumer spending on food and nonalcoholic beverages rise to GBP 28,917 million (USD 34,868 million), and the first quarter of 2022 saw it rise to GBP 29,150 million (USD 35,149 million). It will impact the expansion of the European metal cans industry. Changes in consumer spending patterns can reflect changing preferences for convenience foods and packaged foods. Metal cans offer convenience in storage, portability, and shelf stability, making them a popular packaging choice for many consumers. As consumer spending on food and beverages increases, the demand for convenient, edible, and easy-to-transport products may also increase. Metal cans fulfill these requirements, bringing them to the market at an affordable price and contributing to the growth of metal cans in Europe.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Metal Cans Industry Overview
The barriers to exiting the market are high since the canned food manufacturers require a significant divestment of specialized assets, intensifying the competitive rivalry. Overall, the intensity of competitive rivalry in the market studied is high.
- January 2023- Ardagh Metal Packaging is expanding its extensive product portfolio for beverage brand clients by introducing a new 19.2 oz. (568 ml) beverage can. The new can size marks the first time an AMP 19.2 oz. (568 ml) and is anticipated to service significant growth in the single-serving channel.
- June 2022- Ball Corporation introduced the most environmentally friendly aluminum aerosol can, which contains only half the carbon impact of a typical can. It will support Ball's goal of achieving its science-based objectives for 2030 and net-zero emissions by 2050.
- June 2022- Crown Holdings Inc. stated that it would be constructing a 168,000 sq ft addition to the 355,000 sq ft plant currently being built at Commonwealth Crossing Business Centre to manufacture aluminum beverage cans. The corporation already committed to investing USD 145 million, and the expansion will increase by USD 20 million.
Europe Metal Cans Market Leaders
Ardagh Group S.A.
Crown Holdings, Inc.
Silgan Holdings Inc
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe Metal Cans Market News
- April 2022: CANPACK S.A., a leading manufacturer of aluminum beverage cans, continues its expansion and plans to install a new production line of aluminum beverage can bodies in Bydgoszcz, Poland. The investment will allow the company to increase the current capacity of the Bydgoszcz facility by approximately 1 billion pieces per year. The initial production phase is expected to commence in 2024.
- March 2022: Crown Holdings announced it would build a new beverage can facility in Peterborough, United Kingdom. The first line is expected to commence production during the second quarter of 2023. Additional lines will follow in phases to reach over three billion units of annual capacity.
Europe Metal Cans Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
4.4 Market Drivers
4.4.1 High Recyclability Rates of Metal Packaging
4.5 Market Challenge
4.5.1 Presence of Alternate Packaging Solutions
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Material Type
5.2.1 Food Cans
184.108.40.206 Pet Food
220.127.116.11 Soups and Condiments
18.104.22.168 Other Food Cans (Baby Food, Dairy, Fruit/Vegetable Juices, Seafood, and Meat and Poultry Cans)
5.2.2 Beverage Cans
5.2.3 Aerosol Cans
22.214.171.124 Personal care and Cosmetics
126.96.36.199 Household and Homecare
188.8.131.52 Other Aerosol Cans
5.2.4 Other Cans
5.3.1 United Kingdom
5.3.7 Rest of Europe
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Ball Corporation
6.1.2 Ardagh Group
6.1.3 Crown Holdings, Inc.
6.1.4 Silgan Holdings Inc.
6.1.5 CAN-PACK SA
6.1.6 Massilly Holding SAS
6.1.7 Tecnocap Group
6.1.8 Tata Europe Ltd
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
Europe Metal Cans Market Research FAQs
How big is the Europe Metal Cans Market?
The Europe Metal Cans Market size is expected to reach USD 18.66 billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 2.33% to reach USD 20.94 billion by 2028.
What is the current Europe Metal Cans Market size?
In 2023, the Europe Metal Cans Market size is expected to reach USD 18.66 billion.
Who are the key players in Europe Metal Cans Market?
Ball Corporation, Ardagh Group S.A., Crown Holdings, Inc., Silgan Holdings Inc and Can-Pack S.A. are the major companies operating in the Europe Metal Cans Market.
Europe Metal Cans Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Europe Metal Cans market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Europe Metal Cans analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.