Metal Cans Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Market Size (2023)||USD 79.64 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 94.95 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||3.58 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Metal Cans Market Analysis
The Metal Cans Market size is expected to grow from USD 79.64 billion in 2023 to USD 94.95 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 3.58% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
The product is gaining prominence because of its distinct features, like transportation resistance, hermetically sealed cover, rough handling, and easy recyclability.
- The high recyclability of metal cans is one of the significant drivers of the market. Aluminum cans deliver nearly protection against moisture. The cans do not rust and are resistant to corrosion, as well as provide one of the most extended shelf lives considering any packaging. It also offers many benefits, such as rigidity, stability, and high barrier properties.
- Due to the increasing consumption of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, such as beer and carbonated drinks, in the European region, there is significant demand for metal cans. According to Barth-Haas Group, Germany was Europe's top beer producer in 2021. The beer products in Germany were over 85 million hl which was more than twice as much as produced in the UK. With 82 million hl, Russian output was the second-largest in Europe.
- The aluminum can shortage continues to affect the food and beverage industry, as the beverage demand for home consumption and grocery increased compared to restaurants. Many prominent market players have announced investments to set up new manufacturing infrastructures to fulfill the increased order and tackle the shortage of aluminum cans. For instance, in September 2021, Ball Corporation announced plans to build a new US aluminum beverage packaging plant in Nevada, US. This multi-line plant has been scheduled to begin production in late 2022. The company plans to invest around USD 290 million in this facility over the next few years. Even with the adjustments and increased manufacturing capacity, Ball Corporation anticipated that the demand would continue to outstrip supply well into 2023.
- The rise in consumer awareness concerning the application of non-carcinogenic materials in packaging and increased demand for lightweight packing is generating high growth prospects for the metal cans market. However, metal cans are challenging to use due to the replacement possibility of polymer-based packaging materials, including polyethylene and polyethylene terephthalate (PET).
- In response to the COVID-19 pandemic's impact on demand, European steelmakers have swiftly reduced supply, with first-quarter production falling 10% yearly. Also, the non-ferrous metals industry is a crucial supplier of essential value chains, including food packaging. COVID-19 is causing significant and growing economic impacts on the European non-ferrous metals sector, driven by substantial demand reduction in key-value chains, supply disruptions, and transport difficulties.
Metal Cans Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Metal Cans Market according to our research experts:
Canned Food Consumption to Drive the Market Growth
- The changing lifestyles at a global level are resulting in consumers opting for easy-to-cook food. The younger population and individually living consumers are consuming more canned food. These users have less time and are budget restrained, thus, opting for products with lower costs and higher convenience.
- Many regular consumers of canned foods choose the products due to the convenience offered and lower cost of the products. Canned foods are more convenient to consume and require less energy and time to cook. Most canned foods take 40% less time to prepare than regular meals.
- Also, the demand for plant-based foods has significantly increased in the market post-pandemic. Vietnam's vegetarian food exporters are exploring ample opportunities as the UK is the primary market for Vietnam for its plant-based products. For instance, in August 2022, Dong Thap Province-based Bình Loan vegetarian food factory exported two tonnes of canned vegetarian food to the UK with the support of London, the biggest importer of Vietnamese goods in the UK.
- The expansion of modern convenience stores and supermarkets across the country has geared up, which will likely add growth to the market studied. For instance, in July 2022, WinCommerce, a retail giant, plans to open hundreds of new supermarkets and convenience stores in Vietnam by the end of the year to cater to the increased demand for convenience food products and to accelerate the expansion of its market share in the country.
- Also, in October 2021, Ball Metalpack, a North American manufacturer of steel cans for food and household products, added a new two-piece food cans production line at its Milwaukee manufacturing plant. The fresh, high-speed two-piece food can production line will support the production of millions of food cans per year and allow Ball Metalpack to meet growing demand from customers in the food and nutrition industries. It is the second high-speed two-piece production line at the Milwaukee plant, enabling it to have a quicker ramp-up time and a lower total cost structure. Ball Metalpack has four high-speed two-piece cans across its eight North American plants.
- Additionally, according to StatCan, there has been a decline in fresh and processed fruit and vegetable availability over the past ten years. Therefore people are shifting to canned food.
- The third-largest living expenditure is food. Canned food is frequently less expensive than fresh or frozen food, costing approximately half as much as frozen and a fifth as much as frozen fresh. Also, the population of Canada's growth outpaced these increases, yielding lower per capita availability of canned food. For instance, according to StatCan, the baked and canned beans volume available for consumption per person in Canada has declined from 1.13 kg in 2013 to 0.92 kg in 2021.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America to Hold a Significant Share in the Market
- North America is anticipated to positively influence the demand for metal cans throughout the forecast period due to the growing demand for different healthy beverages, carbonated soft drinks, health drinks, and sucralose juices. Additionally, several significant players impact the business's development through extensive promotional efforts and new research.
- The food and retail industries are the primary factors influencing the demand for products in the United States. The country has more grocery shops and superstores than ever before, and the expansion of the country's food and retail industries is primarily due to the rise in the number of smaller homes. Consequently, it is driving demand for smaller packing units.
- Because of the way of life in the United States, there is a greater need for metal cans. People choose wholesome food that is ready to eat and can make it quickly since they have hectic schedules that leave them with little time for cooking. By offering easy packaging and foods that are ready to use, canned food accomplishes this goal. Because they can keep food fresh and high-quality for an extended period, metal cans will boost the market growth.
- Additionally, players in the region are focusing on vertical and horizontal integration. For instance, in November 2021, Ardagh Metal Packaging (AMP), a subsidiary of Ardagh Group, acquired Canada-based digital printed cans provider Hart Print. Hart Print was established in 2018 and is based in Quebec, offering flexible digital printing solutions to customers serving the beverage market. Hart Print claims to be the first company to provide digitally printed cans in the North-American market.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Metal Cans Industry Overview
The metal cans market is moderately fragmented, owing to the presence of various global and local industry players. Vendors in this market participate based on product portfolio, differentiation, and pricing. Key players in the market are SKS Bottle & Packaging, Inc., Silgan Containers LLC, Ball Corporation, etc.
In March 2022, the German tinplate manufacturer ThyssenKrupp Rasselstein had the world's first food can made of CO2-reduced blue mint Steel, in collaboration with the Swiss companies Hoffmann Neopac and Ricola, the latter of which will sell its herbal drops in the cans.
In January 2022, Ardagh Metal Packaging Europe launched HIGHEND, a new addition to its customization range, which offers customers brand-enhancing creative opportunities. The technology allows high-quality decoration in CMYK colors on the entire shell surface, meaning brands can highlight, customize and differentiate their cans with maximum visual impact.
Metal Cans Market Leaders
Ardagh Group S.A.
Crown Holdings Inc.
Silgan Holding Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Metal Cans Market News
- October 2022: Ardagh Metal Packaging (AMP) supplied the aluminum cans for Casa Azul Tequila Soda, a new US tequila-based ready-to-drink (RTD) cocktails vying for the premium on-the-go market.
- October 2022: Two beverage entrepreneurs partnered to launch Los Angeles, California-based Casa Azul featuring a recyclable metal packaging can. Packaged in Ardagh metal packaging and infinitely recyclable beverage cans, Casa Azul is available in Lime Margarita, Peach Mango, Strawberry Margarita, and Watermelon. The gluten-free products include 5 percent alcohol with 100 calories per serving.
Metal Cans Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 High Recyclability of the Packaging Due to Less Usage of Energy
4.2.2 Increasing Consumption of both Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Presence of Alternate Packaging Solutions as Polyethylene Terephthalate
4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.5.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.5.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.6 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Material Type
5.2 By Can Type
5.2.3 Cosmetics and Personal Care
5.2.6 Other End user Industry
5.3.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 Latin America
5.3.5 Middle East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Ball Corporation
6.1.2 Ardagh Group
6.1.3 Mauser Packaging Solutions
6.1.4 Silgan Containers LLC
6.1.5 Crown Holdings Inc.
6.1.6 DS Containers Inc.
6.1.7 CCL Container Inc.
6.1.8 Toyo Seikan Group Holdings Ltd
6.1.9 Pacific Can China Holdings Limited
6.1.10 Universal Can Corporation
6.1.11 CPMC HOLDINGS Limited (COFCO Group)
6.1.12 Showa Denko KK
6.1.13 Independent Can Company
6.1.14 Hindustan Tin Works Ltd
6.1.15 Saudi Arabian Packaging Industry WLL (SAPIN)
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Metal Cans Market Research FAQs
How big is the Metal Cans Market?
The Metal Cans Market size is expected to reach USD 79.64 billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 3.58% to reach USD 94.95 billion by 2028.
What is the current Metal Cans Market size?
In 2023, the Metal Cans Market size is expected to reach USD 79.64 billion.
Who are the key players in Metal Cans Market?
Ardagh Group S.A., Ball Corporation, Crown Holdings Inc., CanPack S.A. and Silgan Holding Inc. are the major companies operating in the Metal Cans Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Metal Cans Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Metal Cans Market?
In 2023, the Asia-Pacific accounts for the largest market share in the Metal Cans Market.
Metal Cans Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Metal Cans market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Metal Cans analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.