Europe EPS Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Europe EPS Market Analysis
The Europe Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Market size is expected to grow from 2,571.16 kilotons in 2022 to 3,003.06 kilotons by 2028, at a CAGR of 2.61% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Europe, especially Western Europe, has been one of the most heavily impacted regions by COVID-19. The stimulus packages announced by the European Union are expected to accelerate the recovery process, with the demand for expanded polystyrene likely to rise with the growing construction industry.
- In the medium term, increasing demand from the packaging sector is expected to drive market growth.
- However, the application and development of molded pulp as a green alternative are expected to hinder the market's growth.
- Recycling in the expanded polystyrene industry is likely to act as an opportunity during the forecast period.
Europe EPS Industry Segmentation
Expanded polystyrene (EPS) is a foam plastic material produced from solid beads of polystyrene. It is primarily used for packaging, insulation, etc. Due to its lightweight properties, durability, thermal efficiency, shock absorption, moisture resistance, and ease of use, expanded polystyrene is used significantly in the building and construction sector.
The market is segmented by product type, end-user industry, and geography. By product type, the market is segmented into white EPS and grey and silver EPS. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into packaging, building and construction, and other end-user industries. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the European EPS market in nine countries across the region. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kiloton).
|Grey and Silver EPS|
|Building and Construction|
|Other End-user Industries|
|Rest of Europe|
Europe EPS Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Europe EPS Market according to our research experts:
The Building and Construction Segment is Expected to Dominate the Market
- EPS has excellent mechanical properties, making it ideal for load-bearing roof insulation, sub-pavement flooring, road-building, load-bearing insulation, etc. Furthermore, EPS does not absorb moisture, and its thermal and mechanical properties are unaffected by dampness, humidity, or moisture.
- In the construction sector, EPS is used in combination with other materials, such as steel (in sandwich panels and used for cold store construction), concrete (as an insulation core in tilt-up wall panels), gypsum, and plasterboard (as skins for ceiling panels and other prefabricated components).
- Floorings and ceilings account for the largest market share of EPS applications in the construction sector, followed by roofing systems. Moreover, EPS roofing insulation is used in roofing systems and provides cost-effective and consistent thermal performance.
- Increasing energy price is forcing consumers to work toward improving the thermal efficiency of constructions to reduce their energy consumption, thus driving the market for EPS-based roofing systems.
- The building and construction industry is the largest consumer of EPS. The consumption of EPS is increasing across the world due to growing applications. Moreover, the European construction industry is recovering.
- According to European Commission, in comparison to 2020, annual average construction production increased by 5.2% across the Euroregion and by 4.8% in the European Union in 2021. Furthermore, in December 2021, the UK monthly construction output increased by 2% compared to the previous month. With increasing building and construction activities, the demand for EPS is also expected to increase significantly.
- Therefore, the EPS market is expected to flourish over the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Germany is Expected to Dominate the Market
- Germany owns the largest share in production value in the construction sector, followed by France. With annual investment flowing steadily in the past few years with the German government supporting energy-efficient renovation and construction, the construction segment is expected to grow during the forecast period.
- As per the stats released by Statistisches Bundesamt (Destatis), the federal government has set the goal of constructing 400,000 new dwellings in Germany every year. In 2021, the construction of 293,393 houses was completed in Germany compared to 306,376 new houses in 2020.
- According to Eurostat, the total construction production in Germany increased by 5.4% in Q1 2022 compared to the Q1 2021 production and increased by 3.6% compared to the previous quarter in the same year, thereby enhancing the consumption of EPS from various construction applications in the country. In April 2022, the country’s production from the construction industry declined by 1.2% compared to the same month in the previous year and decreased by 2.1% compared to March 2022. Furthermore, according to the Federal Statistical Office (Destatis), in March 2022, the construction of 34,794 dwellings was permitted in Germany, registering a decline rate of 8.9%, or 3,410 building permits, compared to March 2021.
- In addition, in Germany, packaging solutions are progressively being used for customized products and innovations. Therefore, there has been increased adoption of EPS in the nation, aiding the growth of the expanded polystyrene market in German in the coming years. Smaller pack sizes are in demand across the county in the packaged food and personal care sectors. As per the data published by Statistisches Bundesamt, the revenue of the packaging industry in Germany in 2021 accounted for EUR 29.59 billion compared to EUR 26.26 billion in 2020.
- The country’s food and beverage industry is the fourth-largest in terms of possibilities for growth in the future. The industry is characterized by its small- and medium-sized enterprise sectors of about 6,000 companies.
- There is a growing demand for value and quality enriched products, including organic and fair trade and health and wellness goods, indicating a favorable potential demand for packaging materials. EPS is approved for use in conjunction with food products.
- Hence, the aforementioned trends are likely to influence the overall consumption of EPS in the country during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Europe EPS Industry Overview
The European expanded polystyrene market is concentrated, with the top five players accounting for over 50% of the production capacity in Europe. The key five players in the market (in no particular order) are Synthos Group, BASF SE, Ravago, SUNPOR, and BEWiSynbra Group.
Europe EPS Market Leaders
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe EPS Market News
- July 2022: BEWI ASA entered a letter of intent to acquire the Lithuanian insulation company BalPol. This acquisition may help BEWI to expand its geographic presence.
- March 2022: BASF SE expanded its portfolio of graphitic expandable polystyrene (EPS) granulate by launching Neopor F 5 Mcycled, which contains 10% recycled material and is suitable for numerous applications in buildings, particularly facade insulation
Europe EPS Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Demand from the Construction Industry
4.1.2 Increasing Demand from the Packaging Sector
4.2.1 Molded Pulp as a Green Alternative
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Import-Export Trends
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 White EPS
5.1.2 Grey and Silver EPS
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.2 Building and Construction
5.2.3 Other End-user Industries
5.3.2 United Kingdom
5.3.10 Rest of Europe
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%) Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Alpek SAB de CV
6.4.2 BASF SE
6.4.3 BEWiSynbra Group
6.4.4 Epsilyte LLC
6.4.5 KANEKA Belgium NV
6.4.8 SIBUR International GmbH
6.4.10 Sundolitt Ltd
6.4.12 Synthos Group
6.4.13 Unipol Holland BV
6.4.14 Versalis SpA
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Recycling in the EPS Industry
Europe EPS Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Europe Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Europe Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Market?
The Europe Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Market is growing at a CAGR of 2.61% over the next 5 years.
What is Europe Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Market size?
The Europe Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Market is expected to reach 2,924.68 kilotons in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 2.61% to reach 3003.06 kilotons by 2028.
Who are the key players in Europe Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Market?
BASF SE, Ravago, SUNPOR, BEWiSynbra Group, Synthos are the major companies operating in Europe Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Market.
Europe Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Europe Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Europe Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.