Europe Bakery Products Market Size
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Forecast Data Period||2023 - 2028|
|Historical Data Period||2018 - 2021|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Europe Bakery Products Market Analysis
- The Europe bakery products market is projected to register a CAGR of 3.12% over the forecasted period.
- Convenience and affordability are major factors supporting the demand for bakery products. Europeans give high importance to convenience while selecting food products. Consumers are greatly opting for baked products that are low in calories and taste the same as their traditional counterparts.
- Consumers often perceive ingredients-level, value-addition, and gluten-free varieties as supporting higher demand. They are placing additional demand for products with vegetarian, ethical, and no preservative or additives claims, which are becoming very popular in this market.
- The emerging markets of Eastern Europe are fuelling demand for biscuits and bread, and the developed markets of Western Europe are matured and saturated. Bread is the staple food in most countries in Europe. Organic bread and other bakery products also witness enhanced demand from health and wellness-oriented consumers.
- As per the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs of the United Kingdom, the average per person per week purchase of bread in the United Kingdom in 2019/2020 stood at 524 g. Also, the bakery industry in Europe is constantly evolving with the launch of innovative bakery products, influencing consumer buying behavior and thus supporting market demand and growth.
Europe Bakery Products Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Europe Bakery Products Market according to our research experts:
Augmented Demand for Convenient Food Products
- Consumers' changing lifestyles are inducing them to opt for convenient food solutions. The hectic lifestyle of consumers is placing augmented demand for convenient food products and ready-to-eat food products such as bread, cookies, biscuits, frozen food products, cakes, etc. The major growing segment in the market is bread. The demand for bread containing fibre, whole grain, gluten-free bakery products, etc., supports the market's growth.
- For instance, in April 2022, Warburtons, a UK bakery company, announced the debut of a new range of sliced loaves called Seeds & Grains, which will be available in recyclable paper packaging. Big 21, which contains 21 varieties of seeds and grains; Plant Power, a blend of pulses, grains, and seeds; and Make It Grain, which has Maris Otter barley malt grain, are the three new 700g loaves. The loaves are made entirely of wholemeal flour, are high in fibre and protein, and are low in saturated fat and sugar. The products will be wrapped in recyclable paper packaging that can be recycled at home with newspapers and cardboard.
- Furthermore, consumers are consuming healthy and fortified bakery products and are gaining immense popularity among consumers attributed to enhanced uptake in healthy lifestyle concepts. Manufacturers in the market are introducing bakery products in multiple categories, such as whole-grain, gluten-free, and other high-fiber products and are also coming up with healthy options, such as oat-containing cookies. Thus, all the above-mentioned factors support market demand throughout the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Germany Witness a Significant Share in Europe Bakery Products Market
- Germany is the major market share holder in the European bakery products market. The rising trend of snacking culture is leading to high consumption of bakery products in the country. Consumers seek healthier alternatives such as gluten-free bakery products or bakery products with omega-3 content, high fibre, whole grain bakery products, etc., to support the health and wellness trend.
- Furthermore, bakery products continue to enjoy the status of being household staples, and their sales are driven by the fact that they constitute a fundamental part of their diet. The consumption of packaged products is also rising among consumers. In addition, consumers are taking a great interest in plant-based food products and paying close attention to their sugar intake. Over the forecast years, this will likely enhance the country's demand for low-calorie or zero-sugar bakery products.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Bakery Products Industry Overview
The European bakery product market is highly competitive, particularly with the significant presence of numerous global and regional players. Some major players in the Europe bakery product market are Grupo Bimbo, S.A.B. de C.V., Associated British Foods Plc, Mondelēz International, Inc., Dr. Schär AG/SPA, and Alpha Baking Company Inc., among others. Most companies have invested heavily in R&D to develop products with added health benefits while providing better taste and texture. Partnership and agreement are the next preferred strategies among the companies operating in the market to develop innovative products and utilize the brand value and the effective distribution channel of the domestic players to market their products.
Europe Bakery Products Market Leaders
Grupo Bimbo, S.A.B. de C.V.
Associated British Foods Plc
Mondelēz International, Inc.
Dr. Schär AG/SPA
Alpha Baking Company Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe Bakery Products Market News
- August 2022: Mondelēz International, Inc. continued its strong track record of offering a wide range of snacking options for consumers by innovating to create new products or reformulating products that will not be classified as high in fat, salt, or sugar (HFSS) from beloved brands including belVita, Cadbury Drinking Chocolate, Maynards Bassetts and The Natural Confectionery Company.
- February 2022: Dr Schär UK Ltd., a gluten-free manufacturer, announced the acquisition of Glasgow-based bakery GDR Food Technology Ltd., t/a Just: Gluten Free Bakery. GDR specializes in gluten-free baked goods such as bread, rolls, teacakes, and flatbread.
- April 2021: Walker's Shortbread, the world's finest shortbread expert baker, is expanding its gluten-free range. The expanded content, certified by Coeliac UK, will be available exclusively in Sainsbury's stores across the country and will include three indulgent Walker's classics: shortbread rounds, chocolate chip shortbread, and ginger & lemon shortbread.
Europe Bakery Products Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Cakes and Pastries
5.1.4 Morning Goods
5.1.5 Other Product Types
5.2 Distribution Channel
5.2.2 Convenience Stores
5.2.3 Speciality Stores
5.2.4 Online Retail Stores
5.2.5 Other Distribution Channel
5.3.1 United Kingdom
5.3.7 Rest of Europe
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Grupo Bimbo, S.A.B. de C.V.
6.3.2 Associated British Foods Plc
6.3.3 Mondelēz International, Inc.
6.3.4 General Mills Inc.
6.3.5 Alpha Baking Company Inc.
6.3.6 Kellogg Company
6.3.7 Warburtons Holdings Limited
6.3.8 Britannia Industries Limited
6.3.9 Walkers Shortbread Ltd
6.3.10 Dr. Schär AG/SPA
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Europe Bakery Products Market Research FAQs
What is the current Europe Bakery Products Market size?
The Europe Bakery Products Market is projected to register a CAGR of 3.12% during the forecast period (2023-2027).
Who are the key players in Europe Bakery Products Market?
Grupo Bimbo, S.A.B. de C.V., Associated British Foods Plc, Mondelēz International, Inc., Dr. Schär AG/SPA and Alpha Baking Company Inc. are the major companies operating in the Europe Bakery Products Market.
Europe Bakery Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Europe Bakery market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Europe Bakery analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.