Europe Aviation Fuel Market Size
|Study Period||2018- 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Forecast Data Period||2023 - 2028|
|Historical Data Period||2018 - 2021|
|CAGR||> 14.00 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Europe Aviation Fuel Market Analysis
The aviation fuel market in Europe is anticipated to register a CAGR of more than 14% during the forecast period.
The market was negatively impacted by the outbreak of COVID-19 due to regional lockdowns and flight restrictions. Currently, the market has reached pre-pandemic levels.
- The increasing number of air passengers, on account of the cheaper airfare in recent times, stronger economic conditions, and increasing disposable income, are among the major driving factors for the market. Efforts to increase the share of biofuels in the aviation sector are also driving the market considerably.
- However, the high and volatile cost of aviation fuel is expected to restrain the market.
- The European Commission is aiming to increase the Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) to 40% by 2040 to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The initiative is expected to create significant opportunities in the aviation fuel market.
- With the largest market size in Europe, Spain is leading the market in the region and is likely to continue its dominance during the forecast period as well.
Europe Aviation Fuel Industry Segmentation
Aviation fuels are petroleum-based fuels or mixtures of petroleum and synthetic fuels that are used to power airplanes. They are subject to stricter regulations than fuels used for stationary purposes, such as heating and driving. They contain additives to improve or preserve characteristics vital to fuel management or performance.
The Europe aviation fuel market is segmented by fuel type, application, and geography. By fuel type, the market is segmented into air turbine fuel, aviation biofuel, and AVGAS. By application, the market is segmented into commercial, defense, and general aviation. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the Aviation fuels market across major countries in the region. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done based on revenue (USD billion).
|Air Turbine Fuel (ATF)|
|The United Kingdom|
|Rest of Europe|
Europe Aviation Fuel Market Trends
Commercial Sector to Dominate the Market
- Commercial aviation includes operating scheduled and non-scheduled aircraft, which involves commercial air transportation of passengers or cargo. The commercial segment is one of the largest consumers of aviation fuel, and it accounts for a quarter of the total operating expenditure for an airline operator.
- Air transportation of passengers in European countries is increasing considerably. Germany reported around 54.6 million passengers' transportation by air between April 2022 to October 2022.
- In 2021, the total number of passengers carried by commercial airlines rose to around 4.54 billion, which was 5.58% higher than the previous years. Europe accounted for 26.4% of the total world aviation traffic in 2020.
- The European Union (EU) has proposed a mandate of Sustainable Aviation Fuel use from 2% in 2025 to 63% in 2050. Such measures are likely to witness significant developments in achieving sustainable aviation biofuels during the forecast period.
- Therefore, due to the aforementioned factors, the commercial sector is expected to dominate the market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Spain to Dominate the Market
- Spain is one of the largest Western Europe domestic air markets by seats and has registered growth in terms of air passenger traffic over the past five years, reaching a total of 228 million in 2019.
- However, in 2020 the number of passengers traveling fell to 57.79 million in 2020 due to a strict travel ban from the Spanish government. But as the situation improved, the figures for 2021 grew by more than 59%, reaching a total of 91.89 million.
- The aviation fuel market in the country is expected to witness significant growth during the forecast period, mainly driven by increasing tourism and domestic air traffic.
- Moreover, the increasing number of passengers in the country is directly contributing to the demand for jet fuel consumption in the country. The trend is expected to change, especially due to the increasing number of tourists from European countries such as France and the United Kingdom.
- Therefore, due to the aforementioned factors, Spain is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Aviation Fuel Industry Overview
The Europe aviation fuel market is moderately fragmented. Some of the major companies (in no particular order)include PJSC Gazprom, BP PLC, Shell PLC, TotalEnergies SE, Neste Oyj, and others.
Europe Aviation Fuel Market Leaders
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe Aviation Fuel Market News
- January 2022: Turkey opened a laboratory to grow algae to produce jet fuel, aligning with the European Union’s clean aviation push. The USD 6.8 million demonstration project is funded by the Turkish government and the European Union.
- July 2022: The UK Department for Transport launched the new ‘jet zero’ strategy with the objective of boosting the country’s SAF sector and attaining net-zero emissions in domestic aviation by 2040.
Europe Aviation Fuel Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2028
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.7.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.7.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.7.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.7.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.7.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Fuel Type
5.1.1 Air Turbine Fuel (ATF)
5.1.2 Aviation Biofuel
5.2.3 General Aviation
5.3.1 The United Kingdom
5.3.5 Rest of Europe
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Repsol SA
6.3.2 BP PLC
6.3.3 Royal Dutch Shell PLC
6.3.4 Total SA
6.3.5 Exxon Mobil Corporation
6.3.6 Gazprom Neft PJSC
6.3.7 Neste Oyj
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Europe Aviation Fuel Market Research FAQs
What is the current Europe Aviation Fuel Market size?
The Europe Aviation Fuel Market is projected to register a CAGR of greater than 14% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Who are the key players in Europe Aviation Fuel Market?
PJSC Gazprom, Neste Oyj, BP PLC, TotalEnergies SE and Shell Plc are the major companies operating in the Europe Aviation Fuel Market.
Europe Aviation Fuel Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Europe Aviation Fuel market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Europe Aviation Fuel analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.