|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The aviation fuel market was valued at USD 77.91 billion in 2020, and it is anticipated to reach USD 224.67 billion by 2027, registering a CAGR of more than 16.3% during the forecast period of 2022-2027. The COVID-19 pandemic had negatively affected the aviation fuel market due to the restrictions on international flights and negligible domestic air traveling by citizens of almost all the countries. As an example, in the United States, during the first week of July 2020, domestic air travel was down by 71%, and international travel was down by 93% compared to last year. The number of scheduled departures of flights decreased from 877,029 in January 2020 to 69,245 at the starting of June 2020. The aviation fuel market is likely to grow more due to the continuous fuel demand from commercial aircrafts for the transportation of essential commodities and defense applications. However, the market can face hurdles in the coming years due to the high share of fossil-fuel-based aviation fuels in many countries, which are responsible for the degradation of the environment.
- The aviation turbine fuel segment is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period as they are a cheaper and reliable way of powering aircrafts.
- The introduction of renewable aviation fuels in the global aviation industry presents the most promising opportunity for the market. These fuels are made from organic waste like agricultural waste and cooking oils. The aviation industry in almost all countries is on a spree to explore options for decarbonizing the sector. Renewable aviation fuels can cut carbon emissions by 80% as compared to conventional ATFs.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to grow at the fastest rate during the forecast period due to high jet fuel demand from economically emerging nations.
Scope of the Report
The aviation fuel market report includes:
|Middle-East and Africa|
Key Market Trends
Aviation Turbine Fuels Expected to Dominate the Market
- The Aviation Turbine Fuel(ATF) is a petroleum-based fuel that is generally kerosene type oil. The three ATF grades that are used at the global level are JetA, JetA-1, JetB, out of which JetA1 is the most widely used. It is suitable for most aircraft turbines. It has a flash point minimum of 38 degrees C (100°F) and a freeze point maximum of -47 degrees C.
- The global kerosene-based fuel consumption was recorded as 4787 thousand barrels per day, but the low figures were the consequences of the widespread pandemic in 2020. Otherwise, till 2019, ATF fuel consumption witnessed a continuous uptrend at the global level. And the industry experts are of the concrete opinion that the fuel will continue to maintain its share as the rebound in the aviation industry has already begun in the second half of 2021.
- In January 2022, IOCL's Barauni Refinery in the Indian state of Bihar announced that they are going to start the production of ATF in 2022, after the commissioning of the "IndJet unit" at the refinery. The move came in response to the demand for the fuel from all the airports in the state.
- In 2021, in the United States, Valero Energy Corp. refinery head predicted the demand of their jet fuel product to be back to pre-pandemic levels in the second half of 2022. The slightly opening gateways of airbases in the country and sudden upsurge in the jet fuel demand in recent years have helped the officials to come out with the conclusion.
- Owing to such developments, it can be predicted that ATF will have the highest share in the coming years.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Expected to Dominate the Market
- The Asian countries are currently on a fast-track mode to envisage development in all the sectors. The growing economic activity in all the nations in the region is expected to drive mobility at the national and international levels.
- Moreover, the growing demand for Sustainable Aviation Fuel(SAF) in the region is the most prominent driver of the aviation fuel market. Singapore has recently become a part of the World Economic Forum Clean Skies for Tomorrow Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) Ambassador group. Not only the ASEAN countries but countries like India Japan have been engaged in decarbonizing the aviation industry for the last five years.
- In December 2021, Indigo Airlines, India entered into an agreement with Dehradun-based Council of Scientific and Industrial Research-Indian Institute of Petroleum (CSIRIIP) to manufacture and supply SAF at the global level. The contract is expected to come into force within a year.
- In June 2021, Japan Airlines (JAL) completed the pilot test of a mixture of two different types of SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel), which were produced domestically in Japan. The SAF mixture has passed the quality inspection test and is now completely ready to be used in actual flights. This trial test from Tokyo to Sapporo was a part of the major goal of full commercialization of domestically-produced SAF by 2030.
- Owing to such kind of developments, the Asian region is expected to have the most significant share in the near future.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The aviation fuel market is fragmented. Some of the major players include ExxonMobil Corporation, Chevron Corporation, Shell Plc., TotalEnergies SE, and BP Plc. among others
- In December 2021, British Airways signed an agreement with Philips 66 Humber Refinery to purchase SAFs to power a number of flights in the year 2022. The fuel will be supplied through the existing pipeline infrastructure that is directly linked with the UK airports.
- In September 2020, Neste and Shell Aviation signed an agreement to provide SAF in the British aviation industry. Through the agreement, Neste's production expertise was planned to be combined with Shell Aviation's strong fuel supply management. The contract came into effect in October 2020.
Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2027
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.7.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.7.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.7.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.7.4 Threat of Substitutes Products and Services
4.7.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Fuel Type
5.1.1 Air Turbine Fuel
220.127.116.11 Jet A-1
18.104.22.168 Jet A
22.214.171.124 Jet B
5.1.2 Aviation Biofuel
5.2.3 General Aviation
5.3.1 North America
5.3.4 South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Exxon Mobil Corporation
6.3.2 Chevron Corporation
6.3.3 Shell Plc.
6.3.4 TotalEnergies SE
6.3.5 BP Plc
6.3.6 Gazprom Neft' PAO
6.3.7 Neste Oyj
6.3.8 Swedish Biofuels AB
6.3.9 Red Rock Biofuels LLC
6.3.10 Abu Dhabi National Oil Company
6.3.11 Bharat Petroleum Corp. Ltd.
6.3.12 Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
6.3.13 Emirates National Oil Company
6.3.14 Valero Energy Corporation
6.3.15 Allied Aviation Services Inc.
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Aviation Fuel Market market is studied from 2019 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Aviation Fuel Market?
The Aviation Fuel Market is growing at a CAGR of >16.3% over the next 5 years.
What is Aviation Fuel Market size in 2019?
The Aviation Fuel Market is valued at 77 Billion USD in 2019.
What is Aviation Fuel Market size in 2027?
The Aviation Fuel Market is valued at 224 Billion USD in 2027.
Which region has highest growth rate in Aviation Fuel Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Aviation Fuel Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Aviation Fuel Market?
BP PLC , Exxon Mobil Corporation, TotalEnergies SE, Chevron Corporation, Shell Plc are the major companies operating in Aviation Fuel Market.