Europe Activated Carbon Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|CAGR:||> 5.17 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Europe Activated Carbon Market Analysis
Europe activated carbon market is valued at more than USD 800 million in 2021 and is estimated to register a CAGR of more than 5% during the forecast period (2022-2027).
A major factor driving Europe's activated carbon market is augmenting prominence for air pollution control (especially mercury removal). The UN Economic Commission for Europe Working Group on heavy metals is now preparing protocols on emission reduction for these pollutants. Mercury is considered a priority element in addition to cadmium and lead. This is expected to contribute to the market demand
- On the flipside, the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak and the threat of substitutes, like silica gel, and the development of better alternatives are expected to hinder the market growth.
- Emerging applications in the medical and pharmaceutical sectors are likely to act as opportunities in the future.
- Germany accounted for the largest market share and is expected to continue domination during the forecast period (2022-2027).
Europe Activated Carbon Industry Segmentation
Europe activated carbon market is segmented by type, application, and geography. By type, the market is segmented into Powdered Activated Carbon, Granular Activated Carbon, and Extruded or Pelletized Activated Carbon. On the basis of application, the market is segmented into Gas Purification, Water Purification, Metal Extraction, Medicine, and Other Applications. The report also covers the market sizes and forecasts for the Activated Carbon market in 5 countries across European region. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of revenue (USD million).
|Powdered Activated Carbon (PAC)|
|Granular Activated Carbon (GAC)|
|Extruded or Pelletized Activated Carbon|
|Rest of Europe|
Europe Activated Carbon Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Europe Activated Carbon Market according to our research experts:
Medicine Segment to Drive the Market Growth
- Activated carbon is used in hemodialysis and pharmaceutical applications. It is used to remove contaminants, like chlorine and chloramine, which can be harmful to the patients, from the water that is used for dialysis.
- Activated charcoal is commonly taken by mouth to treat poisonings. It is also used for intestinal gas, high cholesterol, hangovers, upset stomach, and bile flow problems during pregnancy.
- In pharmaceutical applications, activated carbon is used to remove color and impurities from the intermediates and the final products. It is used in the purification and recovery of vitamins, steroids, pain killers, active pharmaceutical ingredients, antibiotics, and some other pharmaceutical products.
- The pharmaceutical production in Europe stood at EUR 248,053 million in 2020 as per the official figures from EFPIA member associations. With the impact of Covid-19 this figure is expected to increase further in the future with the introduction of a new variant named Omicron.
- The growing demand for pharmaceutical products and medical applications of activated carbon is expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Germany to Dominate the Market
- The German water treatment technology market is the largest in Europe and is still growing at a considerable pace. The increasing water treatment activities, primarily in the northern region of the country, are boosting the demand for activated carbon. Currently, the country’s water supply and wastewater treatment sectors together account for about ~EUR 22 billion annually.
- The country is in a shifting phase toward green energy and is cutting down on the nuclear, oil-fired, coal-fired, and natural gas-fired power plants. The country has announced its decision to start decommissioning all the nation’s 17 atomic energy facilities by the end of 2022.
- The country is home to Europe’s largest pharmaceutical industry. It is also known as the “World’s Pharmacy” in the global market. With the active presence of multiple global pharmaceutical companies, it has gained a significant place in the pharmaceutical market. Owing to the huge number of pharmaceutical companies and continuous research to develop new drugs, there has been an increased demand for the market studied in the sector.
- Based on the aforementioned aspects, Germany is expected to dominate the Europe region in the market studied.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Activated Carbon Industry Overview
The European activated carbon market is consolidated, with the top seven players accounting for around 70% of the market share. Major players in the market include Kuraray Co. Ltd, Cabot Corporation, Jacobi Carbons Ab (Osaka Gas Chemicals Co. Ltd), Ingevity, Desotec, Donau Chemie AG, and Carbotech AC GmbH, among others.
Europe Activated Carbon Market Leaders
Kuraray Co. Ltd
Jacobi Carbons Ab (Osaka Gas Chemicals Co. Ltd)
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe Activated Carbon Market News
- In Nov 2021, One Equity Partners announced that it has signed an agreement to acquire Norit Activated Carbon, a global manufacturer of activated carbon for purification solutions, from corporate parent Cabot Corporation, the acquisition is set to be completed by the end of Q1 2022.
- In Jan 2020, The company Oxbow Activated Carbon was acquired by a group of investors facilitated by Wells Fargo CF U.K. and subsequently, the company’s name was changed to Puragen Activated Carbon.
Europe Activated Carbon Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Augmenting Prominence for Air Pollution Control (Especially Mercury Removal)
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Threat of Substitutes like Silica Gel and Development of Better Alternatives
4.2.2 Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak
4.3 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
4.4 Porters Five Force Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Supply Scenario
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Powdered Activated Carbon (PAC)
5.1.2 Granular Activated Carbon (GAC)
5.1.3 Extruded or Pelletized Activated Carbon
5.2.1 Gas Purification
5.2.2 Water Purification
5.2.3 Metal Extraction
5.2.5 Other Applications
5.3.2 United Kingdom
5.3.6 Rest of Europe
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share(%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Albemarle Corporation
6.4.2 Cabot Corporation
6.4.3 Carbon Activated Corporation
6.4.4 CarboTech AC GmbH
6.4.5 Chemviron SA
6.4.6 CPL Activated Carbon
6.4.8 Donau Chemie Group
6.4.10 Jacobi Carbons Ab (Osaka Gas Chemicals Co. Ltd)
6.4.11 Kuraray Co. Ltd
6.4.12 Kureha Corporation
6.4.13 Puragen Activated Carbons
6.4.14 Veolia Water SA
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Emerging Applications in the Medical and Pharmaceutical Sector
Europe Activated Carbon Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Europe Activated Carbon Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Europe Activated Carbon Market?
The Europe Activated Carbon Market is growing at a CAGR of >5.17% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Europe Activated Carbon Market?
Kuraray Co. Ltd, Cabot Corporation, Jacobi Carbons Ab (Osaka Gas Chemicals Co. Ltd), Ingevity, Desotec are the major companies operating in Europe Activated Carbon Market.
Europe Activated Carbon Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Europe Activated Carbon market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Europe Activated Carbon analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.