Mobile Gaming Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Mobile Gaming Market Analysis
The Mobile Gaming Market is expected to register a CAGR of 12.5% during the forecast period, 2022 - 2027. COVID-19 has impacted how the world does business; however, the gaming industry has been positively affected due to pandemics. During these challenging times, the role of the mobile gaming industry was to help people get some relief. Mobile games have the power to reduce stress and provide some entertainment and social connection, which was much needed, especially during the global quarantine.
- Throughout 2020 and 2021, many changes occurred in the mobile game development department. Consequently, game brands have spent more on advertising investment to attract more users and corner sufficient market share. However, one effective way to reduce the development process cost is to conduct an early CTR (click-through rate) test. This is especially true if one is in the hyper-casual game sector of the mobile game industry.
- The gaming industry worldwide is expanding, and smartphones play a significant role in this expansion. The development of mobile games has resulted in scalability for the gaming industry. Platforms like Facebook and Instagram have also started to develop innovative mobile games to ensure high product differentiation and benefit from engaging games to enhance their advertisement strategies.
- Smartphone hardware capabilities have rapidly increased during the last couple of years. According to Unity Technologies, the better mobile chipsets provide greater performance with less battery drain, powering higher screen resolutions on display sizes that now average 6 inches. Furthermore, according to Ericsson, 5G allowed for incredible speeds (20 x 4G) and low latency (20 ms to 5 ms). Because of that, the market sees more and more high-production-value AAA-quality mobile games.
- Despite geopolitical tensions, the growing smartphone penetration and increasing gaming options are also increasing the mobile gaming penetration in many parts of the world. For instance, according to White Designers Game Studios, in Iran, with a population of 82 million and a smartphone penetration rate of about 35% (in 2018), there are more than 30 million active mobile gaming players in the country.
- In-game purchase, i.e., the option to purchase additional privileges within the games, is a significant revenue-generating channel for the mobile gaming industry. The flexibility for in-game payment methods also facilitates the growth of mobile gaming revenues worldwide.
- Further, cloud gaming services leverage hyper-scale cloud capabilities, global content delivery networks, and streaming media services to build the next generation of platforms for interactive, immersive, and social entertainment. The proliferation of edge data centers in the country also facilitates the accelerated growth of mobile gaming globally.
Mobile Gaming Industry Segments
The scope of the study is limited to mobile gaming, i.e., games that are compatible with iOS and Android devices. The revenues accrued through mobile games (tablet and smartphone) are segmented by Platform, Geography, and Monetization type. These revenues are indicative of revenues generated through in-app purchases, advertisements, and paid app installations. The impact of COVID-19 on the mobile gaming market is included as part of the study and is reflected in the total addressable market (TAM). Further, the disruption factors impacting the market's growth in the near future have been covered in the study regarding drivers and restraints.
|Other Third-party Stores (Third-party Android App Stores such as Amazon Appstore, Samsung Galaxy Store, Garena, and All Existing Android App Stores in China where Google Play is Not Available)|
Mobile Gaming Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Mobile Gaming Market according to our research experts:
Android Platform is Expected to Hold a Significant Market Share
- The mobile gaming business has gained scalability due to the emergence of android mobile games. Platforms like Netflix, Facebook, and Instagram have begun to feature android mobile games before iOS to leverage compelling games to improve their advertising tactics due to maximum Android users.
- In November 2021, Netflix started rolling out its mobile video games to Android users where the subscribers have the option of playing five different games on the app, including "Stranger Things: 1984," "Stranger Things 3: The Game," "Shooting Hoops," "Card Blast," and "Teeter Up."
- According to 42matters.com, there are more than 19,323 games from Indian publishers on Google Play out of the 439,892 games. Moreover, 4% of all mobile games on Google Play are from Indian publishers. More minor games, such as LudoKing, Teen Patti, Indian Rummy, and Carrom King, are among the most popular games in the Play Store.
- In November 2021, GameAnalytics launched HyperBid, a mobile games mediation platform based on android. The analytics platform GameAnalytics stated that HyperBid is a new mediation platform engineered explicitly for mobile game publishers and developers. HyperBid is currently in the open beta phase. GameAnalytics indicated they had built HyperBid with analytics at the forefront using Game Analytics' market intelligence.
- Further, in July 2021, Trading Master 3D - Fidget Pop was the most-downloaded gaming app in the Google Play Store worldwide. The fidget toy trading title generated more than 22.05 million downloads from Android users (source: Airnow PLC).
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America Accounts For the Largest Market Share
- In the United States, mobile phone gaming is a burgeoning industry, and one of the largest game publishers is based there. According to 42Matters, out of the 161,440 game publishers on Google Play, more than 8,797 are American companies. Lion Studios, Imangi Studios, Ivy, Play365, Lowtech Studios, Roblox Corporation, i6 Games, DVloper, Oppana Games, and Niantic Inc. are some of the most well-known American publishers. The United States accounts for 5% of all game publishers on Google Play.
- According to 42Matters, paid games account for 13% of all games published in the United States. Paid mobile games have a more significant value than paid games in general, which account for 4% of all games. Ads appear in 67% of games published in the United States. This is a lower figure compared to the rest of the globe, where 73% of games contain advertisements. In-app payments are used to monetize 35% of games published in the United States. This is greater than the national average of 21% of games.
- Amidst COVID-19, the mobile game industry has been one sector that witnessed a huge boost. With vast portions of the US population quarantined at home, the demand for games to provide entertainment has increased.
- The steady incline in 5G mobile networks in the country is expected to drive the surge in the adoption of mobile gaming as performance constraints associated with low wireless bandwidth and high latency will decrease. In August 2020, the White House and Defense Department announced a plan to accelerate 5G adoption by making more spectrum available to the telecoms, earlier used for high-power defense radar.
- Moreover, telecoms are working to determine how well their networks support the requirements of shifting potentially billions of gamers onto streaming services. All three major operators in the United States, i.e., AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and T-Mobile, have begun working with cloud gaming companies, such as PlayGiga, Hatch, and Microsoft Xbox Game Pass, to test and develop services, including bundling deals that offer mobile data packages alongside subscriptions.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Mobile Gaming Market Competitor Analysis
The Mobile Gaming Market is competitive in nature because of the presence of major players like Tencent Holdings Limited, Activision Blizzard, Inc, and Zynga, Inc., among others. Major companies are developing advanced technologies and launching new products to stay competitive in the market.
- July 2021- Gamestacy announced its partnership with Beamable to launch influencer, a unique social, Multiplayer mobile game. This soft launch is anticipated to usher in new options for gender-specific games in the rapidly growing mobile games market.
- May 2021- NetEase announced the launch of new games for their diverse portfolio of mobile and contained updates for over 60 products at its Seventh Annual Product Launch.
Mobile Gaming Market Top Players
Tencent Holdings Limited
Activision Blizzard, Inc
Nintendo Co. Ltd
GungHo Online Entertainment Inc. ( SoftBank Group)
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Mobile Gaming Market Recent Developments
- June 2022 - Marmalade Game Studio has announced that its mobile game JUMANJI: The Curse Returns is available on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo SwitchTM, making it available to millions more gamers.
- May 2021- OnMobileGlobal Limited, the global provider of mobile entertainment, has launched a new B2B gaming product, Challenges Arena, a single destination of casual challenges that provides an unparalleled gamified experience.
Mobile Gaming Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3.5 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the Mobile Gaming Market
4.5 Market Drivers
4.5.1 Increasing Smartphone Penetration
4.5.2 Growth in Cloud Adoption
4.6 Market Restraints
4.6.1 User Privacy and Security Issues Along with Government Regulations
5. MOBILE GAMING MARKET TRENDS
5.1 Cloud Gaming
5.2 Augment Reality Gaming
5.3 Cross Platform Pay
5.4 Blockchain Based Game
5.5 Casual Games
5.6 Multiplayer Mobile Players
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 Monetization Type
6.1.1 In-app Purchases
6.1.2 Paid Apps
6.2.3 Other Third-party Stores (Third-party Android App Stores such as Amazon Appstore, Samsung Galaxy Store, Garena, and All Existing Android App Stores in China where Google Play is Not Available)
6.3.1 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe (Russia, Nordics, etc.)
6.3.3 Asia Pacific
18.104.22.168 South Korea
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia Pacific (Australia, Pakistan, SEA)
6.3.4 Latin America
126.96.36.199 Rest of Latin America (Columbia, etc.)
6.3.5 Middle East and Africa
188.8.131.52 United Arab Emirates
184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle East and Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Tencent Holdings Limited
7.1.2 Nintendo Co. Ltd
7.1.3 Activision Blizzard Inc.
7.1.4 Zynga Inc.
7.1.5 GungHo Online Entertainment Inc. ( SoftBank Group)
7.1.6 Electronic Arts Inc.
7.1.7 Kabam Games Inc.
7.1.8 Rovio Entertainment Corporation
7.1.9 NCsoft Corporation
7.1.10 NetEase Inc.
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Mobile Gaming Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Mobile Gaming Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Mobile Gaming Market?
The Mobile Gaming Market is growing at a CAGR of 12.5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Mobile Gaming Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Mobile Gaming Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Mobile Gaming Market?
Tencent Holdings Limited, Activision Blizzard, Inc, Nintendo Co. Ltd, Zynga Inc., GungHo Online Entertainment Inc. ( SoftBank Group) are the major companies operating in Mobile Gaming Market.
Mobile Gaming Industry Report
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Mobile Gaming Market sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Mobile Gaming Market research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Mobile Gaming Market report PDF.