Ethylene Oxide Market Size
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
|CAGR:||> 3 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Ethylene Oxide Market Analysis
The ethylene oxide market is expected to grow with a CAGR of over 3% during the forecast period.
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. The global beauty and personal care industry has been significantly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Though the industry has restructured itself to engage in the production of hand sanitizers and cleaning agents, however, the drop in sales has been significant. The demand from the industry has recovered in 2021 and is likely to grow at a moderate rate in the coming years.
- Over the short term, the major factors driving the market are the growing usage of PET in the food and beverage industry, increasing demand for household and personal care products in developing countries, and growing demand for antifreeze agents.
- However, the health and environmental effects of high exposure can hinder market growth.
- Using bio-derived ethylene over petro-based ethylene for production can act as an opportunity for the market studied.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to witness the highest market share and fastest growth during the forecast period.
Ethylene Oxide Industry Segmentation
Ethylene oxide is produced from ethylene, majorly by direct oxidation. Ethylene is primarily produced from petrochemical-based raw materials, such as naptha, ethane, and propane, which are obtained from the distillation of crude oil. The market is segmented on the basis of derivative, end-user industry, and geography. By derivative, the market is segmented into ethylene glycols, ethoxylates, ethanolamines, glycol ethers, polyethylene glycol, and other derivatives. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into automotive, agrochemicals, food and beverage, textile, personal care, pharmaceuticals, detergents, and other end-user industries. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for ethylene oxide in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kilotons).
|Food and Beverage|
|Other End-user Industries|
Ethylene Oxide Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Ethylene Oxide Market according to our research experts:
Increasing Demand from the Textile Industry
- The textile industry is a major end-user industry for ethylene oxide as the derivatives are used for the treatment of a wide variety of natural and synthetic fibers, as precursors for certain compounds providing durable press, light stabilization of spandex fibers, shrink-proofing wool, static prevention, and mothproofing, among others.
- India, China, and United States represent major textile manufacturing countries in the world. With rising demand, growing investments, and improved infrastructure facilities, the demand from the sector is likely to increase in the forecast period.
- In May 2022, the Center of Excellence for Khadi (CoEK) at NIFT in Delhi was inaugurated in India to produce innovative fabrics and apparel. The aim is to meet the needs of both domestic and foreign consumers by introducing new designs and adopting international standards.
- China is one of the largest producers and exporters of textiles in the world. In October 2022, textile production in China was 3.18 billion meters.
- The United States exported USD 1,803.93 Million worth of textiles and apparel to the European Union while the exports to the ASEAN countries were worth USD 509.86 million from January 2022 to October 2022.
- Thus, all the above-mentioned factors are expected to show a significant impact on the market growth during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region dominates the global ethylene oxide market currently. China accounts for the major consumption of ethylene oxide and its derivatives in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Asia-Pacific has also become the largest consumer and producer of surfactants. The production has reached very high levels, becoming a major hub for the exporting of cosmetics and personal care products to developed nations, such as the United States.
- China’s textile industry is one of the major industries, and the country is the largest clothing exporter across the world. In the first half of 2022, the export value of textiles and apparel increased by 10% compared to the previous year.
- China is a major producer of PET resins with the PetroChina Group and Jiangsu Sangfangxiang among the largest global manufacturers in terms of volume, with capacities of more than 2 million tons. Thus, the rising demand for PET from end-user industries is driving the demand for ethylene oxide.
- Also, the region is the largest automotive manufacturing hub, registering almost 60% share of the world. According to OICA, in the year 2021, the total production of vehicles stood at 26.08 million units registering an increase of 3% compared to the previous year.
- To encourage the development of weavers and artisans in Manipur, India, Amazon India signed an MoU with Manipur Handloom and Handicrafts Development Corporation Limited in June 2022.
- Hence, owing to the above-mentioned factors, Asia-Pacific is likely to witness the highest market share during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Ethylene Oxide Industry Overview
The ethylene oxide market is partially consolidated in nature. Some of the key players in the market include Shell plc, China Petrochemical Corporation, Dow, SABIC, and BASF SE (not in any particular order).
Ethylene Oxide Market Leaders
China Petrochemical Corporation
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Ethylene Oxide Market News
- In April 2022: BASF SE and China Petrochemical Corporation announced the expansion of their Verbund site located in China operated by BASF-YPC Co., Ltd. It is a 50-50 joint venture of both companies in Nanjing. The expansion will focus on increasing the capacities of many downstream chemicals, including ethanolamines which are the derivatives of ethylene oxide.
- In January 2022: ExxonMobil and SABIC announced the successful startup of Gulf Coast Growth Ventures' world-scale manufacturing facility in San Patricio County, Texas. The new facility operation includes a mono-ethylene glycol (a derivative of ethylene oxide) unit. The capacity of the plant will be 1.1 million metric tons per year.
Ethylene Oxide Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Usage of PET in the Food and Beverage Industry
4.1.2 Increasing Demand for Household and Personal Care Products in the Developing Countries
4.2.1 Health and Environmental Effects over High Exposure
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter Five Forces
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
5.1.1 Ethylene Glycols
220.127.116.11 Monoethylene Glycol (MEG)
18.104.22.168 Diethylene Glycol (DEG)
22.214.171.124 Triethylene Glycol (TEG)
5.1.4 Glycol Ethers
5.1.5 Polyethylene Glycol
5.1.6 Other Derivatives
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.3 Food and Beverage
5.2.5 Personal Care
5.2.8 Other End-user Industries
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 BASF SE
6.4.2 China Petrochemical Corporation
6.4.5 India Glycols Limited.
6.4.7 LOTTE Chemical Corporation.
6.4.8 LyondellBasell Industries Holdings B.V.
6.4.9 NIPPON SHOKUBAI CO., LTD.
6.4.10 Reliance Industries Limited.
6.4.11 Shell plc
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Usage of Bio-derived Ethylene over Petro-based Ethylene for Production
Ethylene Oxide Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Ethylene Oxide Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Ethylene Oxide Market?
The Ethylene Oxide Market is growing at a CAGR of >3% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Ethylene Oxide Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Ethylene Oxide Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Ethylene Oxide Market?
BASF SE, SABIC, Dow, Shell plc, China Petrochemical Corporation are the major companies operating in Ethylene Oxide Market.
Ethylene Oxide Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Ethylene Oxide market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Ethylene Oxide analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.