Electric Wheelchair Market Size
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Electric Wheelchair Market Analysis
The Electric Wheelchair Market size was valued at USD 3,162.91 million in 2022, and is expected to reach USD 5,840.37 million by 2028, growing at a CAGR of 10.76% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
The COVID-19 pandemic positively impacted the electric wheelchair market. Many hospitals and health institutes were flooded with people infected with the virus. Thus, the demand for electric wheelchairs increased in 2020. In 2020 electric chairs reached sales of almost 2 million units worldwide. This growth is anticipated to continue during the forecast period, primarily due to the increasing elderly population.
Over the long term, the increase in disabilities due to a rise in the elderly population and the prevalence of chronic diseases, encouraging hospitals and healthcare facilities to use electric wheelchairs to improve the welfare of patients and healthcare workers is anticipated to remain a major driving factor for the market studied. In addition, electric wheelchairs are used in-home care settings to transfer patients safely and comfortably from one place to another. Thus, the demand for electric wheelchairs is expected to increase in hospitals and elderly care homes, owing to the unprecedented increase in the geriatric population. For instance
- In 2021, one billion people were reported to live with some disability by the World Health Organisation, constituting 15% of the total population in the world.
Major key players are focusing on launching several new products to capture the growing market share provoked by the ever-increasing geriatric population. For instance,
- In January 2022, Permobil AB launched the flagship Progeo Noir 2.0 carbon fiber wheelchair in the United Kingdom.
- In August 2021, Pride Mobility Products Limited introduced the Jazzy EVO 613 2 electric chair, which is powered by a Li-ion battery and has a maximum speed of 5.1 miles per hour.
Thus the confluence of all the aforementioned factors is anticipated to drive growth in the global electric wheelchair market.
Electric Wheelchair Industry Segmentation
An electric wheelchair is defined as a wheelchair that is powered by an electric motor to aid the mobility of the person riding it. It eliminates the need for physical human efforts to move the electric wheelchair. Electric wheelchairs have been observed to significantly enhance the mobility of differently-abled people and help them to live an independent lifestyle.
The Electric Wheelchair Market is Segmented by Type (Front-wheel Drive, Center Wheel Drive, Rear-wheel Drive, and Standing Electric Wheelchair), End-User (Personal, Hospitals, and Sports Conditioning), and Geography (North America (United States, Canada, and Rest of North America), Europe (Germany, United Kingdom, France, Russia, and Rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific (India, China, Japan, South Korea, and Rest of Asia-Pacific), and Rest of the World (South America and Middle East and Africa)). The report offers market size and forecasts for the Electric Wheelchair Market in value (USD billion) for the above-mentioned segments.
|Front Wheel Drive|
|Center Wheel Drive|
|Rear Wheel Drive|
|Standing Electric Wheelchair|
Electric Wheelchair Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Electric Wheelchair Market according to our research experts:
Growing Elderly Population Across the World
The growing elderly population across the world is driving the electric wheelchair market. As per the data released by the World Health Organization, the number of people aged 65 years and over may double as a proportion of the global population from 7% in 2000 to 16% in 2050. By then, the number of older adults may be greater than that of children (aged 0-14 years) in the population. Thus, an increase in the elderly population is anticipated to create an opportunity to adopt electric wheelchairs in the global market.
The United Nations estimates that by 2030, with a ratio of 1.04 to 1, the elderly population will outnumber children. Economic development in countries like India created many work opportunities for the younger population, who cannot care for the elderly. Both younger people who work hard and older people who lack upper body strength find manual wheelchairs exhausting.
According to the World Health Organization, 50 million people are injured annually due to vehicle accidents worldwide. Electric wheelchairs aid in patients' safe and comfortable movement from one area to another. Thus, the increase in accidents is expected to raise the demand for electric wheelchairs over the forecast period.
According to Worldbank.org, nearly 200 million people are suffering from significant disabilities globally. Wheelchairs are used by disabled people and people with lung and cardiovascular ailments who cannot afford to walk for long distances. The rising elderly population and the increasing number of chronic diseases are expected to contribute to the demand for electric wheelchairs during the forecast period.
Also, the trend of rapidly aging demographies like Europe, North America, Japan, and China is further accelerating the growth in the electric wheelchair market.
Key players are expanding their manufacturing capacity to address the growing market for electric wheelchairs. For instance
- In October 2021, Ottobrock, the global health-tech company, officially opened a new manufacturing plant for wheelchairs located at Blagoevgrad in Bulgaria. This is the company's tenth manufacturing facility worldwide. The manufacturing plant will undertake fabrication work for wheelchairs from other Ottobrock plants in China, Germany, and Austria.
Thus the confluence of the aforementioned factors will drive the growth of the electric wheelchair worldwide.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Exhibit the Highest Growth Rate
China and India are the two most populated countries in the Asia-Pacific. With over 241 million Chinese individuals over 60 years, China is considered an aging economy. Moreover, China produces roughly 75% of the world's electric wheelchairs, owing to the aluminum production hubs and major players operating in the country.
India is the second most populated country in the world, with a tally of about 1.40 billion. About 2% of the total population suffers from a disability, and about 30% have a mobility impairment and need assistance. India ranks first out of all countries in road accidents. According to the National Crime Records Bureau data, 422659 accidents occurred in India in 2021, leading to 155000 deaths and 371000 injured people. Thus the rising number of injured people due to the increasing road accidents is also likely to contribute to the growth of the electric wheelchair market in India.
North America is expected to follow Asia-Pacific during the forecast period. As per the United States disability statistics for 2021, 61 million adults in the US lived with some disability. These disabilities are more common among older individuals, with almost half of those aged 75 years and older living with a disability, which is expected to increase the demand for electric wheelchairs across North America.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Electric Wheelchair Industry Overview
The electric wheelchair market is fragmented, with global and local players dominating the market. Some major players are OttoBock Healthcare GmbH, Invacare Corporation, Pride Mobility Products Corp., Sunrise Medical, and Permobil AB.
To provide additional comfort to the patients, major key players are working on the design and ergonomics of the wheelchair. For instance
- In February 2022, Invacare Corporation introduced its next-generation e-fix eco Power Assist Device, which converts manual wheelchairs into electric wheelchairs.
- In January 2022, Swiss startup Scewo launched Scewo BRO, a new electric wheelchair for people with mobility issues to climb stairs.
Electric Wheelchair Market Leaders
Sunrise Medical Limited
Pride Mobility Products Corp.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Electric Wheelchair Market News
Concepts such as standing wheelchairs, self-driving wheelchairs with visual sensors to detect impediments, and lightweight electric wheelchairs constructed of carbon fiber are expected to boost the market. For instance,
- August 2022- Sunrise Medical announced the completion of two strategic acquisitions in Europe. The first acquisition is of Helping Hand Company in the United Kingdom, specializing in designing, manufacturing, and distributing pressure management seating and positioning products, Symmetrikit 24-hour postural care range, independent living, and environmental products. The second acquisition is of Now Tech in Hungary, which is a digital, software, and electronic engineering company.
- May 2022- Sunrise Medical launched two new offerings, the ZIPPIE Q300 M Mini, its latest pediatric power wheelchair, and the QUICKIE Q200 R, its new rear-wheel-drive power wheelchair.
- April 2022- Permobil Inc., the United States subsidiary of Permobil AB, announced to invest USD 15.5 million to expand production at its Lebanon, Tennesse manufacturing plant in the United States. In February 2022, OttoBock Healthcare GmbH acquired the Dutch company Veldink4kids which manufactures special wheelchairs for kids, to strengthen its children's portfolio.
- January 2022- Invacare Corporation introduced the Invacare® AVIVA® STORM RX™ Narrow Base Power Wheelchair. This model offers several new features compared to the standard version of itself.
- November 2021- MEYRA GmbH introduced the new iCHAIR METLIFE-powered wheelchair via its NETTI brand. This chair was specifically designed to cater to the needs of people with multiple disabilities.
Electric Wheelchair Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Type
5.1.1 Front Wheel Drive
5.1.2 Center Wheel Drive
5.1.3 Rear Wheel Drive
5.1.4 Standing Electric Wheelchair
5.2 By End-User
5.2.3 Sport Conditioning
5.3 By Geography
5.3.1 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 Rest of North America
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 Rest of the World
184.108.40.206 South America
220.127.116.11 Middle-East & Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Vendor Market Share
6.2 Company Profiles*
6.2.1 Sunrise Medical Limited
6.2.2 Invacare Corporation
6.2.3 Permobil AB
6.2.4 OttoBock Healthcare
6.2.5 Pride Mobility Products Corp.
6.2.6 Drive Medical Ltd
6.2.7 LEVO Ag
6.2.8 MEYRA GmbH
6.2.9 Karman Healthcare
6.2.10 GF Health Products
6.2.11 Golden Technologies
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Electric Wheelchair Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Electric Wheelchair Market is studied from 2018-2027.
What is the growth rate of Electric Wheelchair Market?
The Electric Wheelchair Market is growing at a CAGR of 10.76% over the next 5 years.
What is Electric Wheelchair Market size?
The Electric Wheelchair Market is expected to reach USD 5,211.95 Million in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 10.76% to reach USD 5840.37 Million by 2028.
Which region has highest growth rate in Electric Wheelchair Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018-2027.
Which region has largest share in Electric Wheelchair Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Electric Wheelchair Market?
Invacare Corporation, Sunrise Medical Limited, Permobil AB, OttoBock Healthcare, Pride Mobility Products Corp. are the major companies operating in Electric Wheelchair Market.
Electric Wheelchair Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Electric Wheelchair market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Electric Wheelchair analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.