|Fastest Growing Market:||Europe|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The global electric vehicle power inverter market was valued at USD 2,990.76 million in 2020, and it is expected to reach USD 11,521.72 million by 2026, growing at a CAGR of 22.66% over the forecast period.
Despite the global decline in sales of vehicles amid the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, the demand for electric vehicles witnessed a considerable increase, which in turn drove the market in focus.
- Power inverter is one of the key components in an electric vehicle which ideally converts battery DC power into AC power for electric motors. Considering the growing concern among the automakers to optimize energy consumption in vehicles, the inverter manufacturers have improved inverter capabilities to handle energy, vice versa, from both the sources (i.e. battery and motor).
- With growing stringent emission standards across the globe, automakers are gradually shifting their production from conventional engine vehicles to hybrid and electric vehicles. In addition, governments have initiated incentives, such as cut-down in vehicle tax, bonus payments, and premium, for buyers of electric vehicles in the respective countries to support the electric vehicles sales growth. Also, the increasing charging station facilities in the regions, especially in Europe, North America, and Asia-Pacific, and particularly in Japan and China, have further supported the growing electric vehicle sales.
- Vehicle inverter manufacturers are consistently working to improve their products, in terms of efficiency and size. The trend of combining an inverter with a motor or converter has been significantly gaining attention among automakers. For instance, a motor with an integrated inverter or single power module, which includes an inverter and DC-DC converter functionalities, has resulted in improved efficiency with reduced space and weight occupancy in the vehicle.
Scope of the Report
The Electric Vehicle Power Inverter Market is Segmented by Propulsion Type (Hybrid Electric Vehicle, Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle, Battery Electric Vehicle, and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle), by Vehicle Type (Passenger Cars and Commercial Vehicles), and by Geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World). The report offers market size and forecasts for Electric Vehicle Power Inverter in terms of value (USD Billion) for all the above segments.
|By Propulsion Type|
|Hybrid Electric Vehicles|
|Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle|
|Battery Electric Vehicle|
|Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle|
|By Vehicle Type|
Key Market Trends
Growing Sales of Electric Vehicles
Electric vehicles have become an integral part of the automotive industry, and they represent a pathway toward achieving energy efficiency, along with reduced emission of pollutants and other greenhouse gases. The increasing environmental concerns, coupled with favorable government initiatives, are some of the major factors driving the market growth.
Moreover, the high cost associated with batteries has necessitated the improvement of inverters and other power electronics, along with improving the performance of vehicles. For instance,
- According to the International Energy Agency, approximately 1.8 million electric vehicles were registered in the United States by 2020, more than three times as many as in 2016. In 2020, the electric vehicle sales were approximately 2.4% of the total vehicle sales, an increase from about 2% in 2019. In 2020, 295,000 new electric cars were registered, of which about 78% were BEVs, down from 327,000 in 2019.
- In 2020, many European countries witnessed double-digit growth in EV sales, whereas the European region captured around 43% of the global EV sales in 2020 as compared to 26% in 2019. The overall plug-in vehicle sales reached about 3.24 million units compared to 2.26 million in 2019. This spike in the s is the result of an increase in regulatory norms by various organizations and governments, to control emission levels and to propagate zero-emissions vehicles.
Though change has not resulted in a slump of IC engine vehicle sales, but it rather created a promising market for electric vehicles in the present as well as for the future. The above trend has propelled some of the automakers to increase their expenditure on R&D in electric vehicles and associated components, like power inverter, while others have started focusing on launching new products to capture the market share, eventually pushing the demand in the market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific is leading the Electric Vehicle Power Inverter Market
The Asia-Pacific is leading the electric vehicle power inverter market followed by Europe and North America respectively. The sale of electric vehicles in China is growing at a rapid pace. The pandemic affected the global economy very badly, but despite the pandemic, the sales of electric cars in China accounted for 931 thousand units sold in 2020, with yearly growth of 11.64% over 2019. However, the government of China wants to double the speed of electric vehicle production and sales in the country. The government has announced that they will sell 10% electric vehicle of the total conventional passenger car in 2019, which will be increased to 12% by 2020. These commitments of government and growing interest of people in electric vehicles are attracting foreign vehicle manufacturers to open a production plant in China, which is boosting the power inverter market in the country.
Japan is one of the most renowned automobile industries, with strong automobile manufacturers serving Japanese products worldwide. In 2020, the Japanese government proposed a ‘carbon neutral’ goal of achieving zero carbon emissions by 2050. Several partnerships and ventures are expected to boost the sales of electric vehicles and their components in Japan. For instance,
- In January 2020, Honda Motor Co. and Isuzu Motors Ltd announced an agreement to conduct joint research to produce fuel cell-powered heavy-duty trucks and eco-friendly vehicles.
- In December 2020, BYD delivered pure electric buses to Huis Ten Bosch Theme Park in Nagasaki, Japan. This was the first batch of pure electric buses to arrive in Nagasaki. Additionally, following BYD's recent delivery of a J6 electric bus to Ueno Zoo in Tokyo, the brand has once again established a successful partnership with a large Japanese park in the field of green transport solutions.
The demand for power inverters is likely to grow simultaneously with the growing trend of hybrid and electric vehicle sales around the world during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The global electric vehicle power inverter market is dominated by a few players such as Continental AG, Robert Bosch GmbH, DENSO Corporation, and Mitsubishi Electric Corporation among others. The companies are expanding their business by opening new production plants and by making joint ventures so that they can have an edge over their competitors. For instance,
- In May 2021, Robert Bosch, in association with Porsche and Fraunhofer Institute for Reliability and Micro integration (Fraunhofer IZM) in Berlin, announced a new project aimed at increasing the range of electric vehicles (EVs) by enhancing the performance of power inverters in vehicles.
- Mitsubishi Electric Corporation announced that it has completed the construction of its new eight plant building at Himeji Works, Hirohata plant, back in Aug 2019. The company invested around USD 63.6 million for the new plant that boasts of the production of motors, generators, as well as inverters for hybrid and electric vehicles.
There have been several new ventures, expansions, and partnerships with respect to inverter manufacturers. To cater to the increased demand for electric vehicles, the manufacturers have been taking strategic decisions to withstand the competition. For instance,
- Robert Bosch, in Oct 2021, debuted a new CV-specific electric motor and inverter. This 230 e-motor can be paired with Bosch’s advanced Sic inverter to cut down on energy losses and increase the driving range of commercial vehicles.
- In Sep 2020, Delphi Technologies secured major original equipment manufacturer (OEM) electrification business, driving profitable long-term growth. It will supply its 800-volt inverters to a premium European OEM for the OEM’s next generation of battery electric vehicles (BEVs). This major win is the company’s second-largest power electronics award.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Propulsion Type
5.1.1 Hybrid Electric Vehicles
5.1.2 Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle
5.1.3 Battery Electric Vehicle
5.1.4 Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle
5.2 By Vehicle Type
5.2.1 Passenger Cars
5.2.2 Commercial Vehicles
5.3.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 Rest of North America
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 Rest of the World
18.104.22.168 South America
22.214.171.124 Middle East & Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Vendor Market Share
6.2 Company Profiles*
6.2.1 Vitesco Technologies
6.2.2 Robert Bosch GmbH
6.2.3 DENSO Corporation
6.2.4 Toyota Industries Corporation
6.2.5 Hitachi Astemo Ltd
6.2.6 Meidensha Corporation
6.2.7 Aptiv PLC (Borgwarner Inc.)
6.2.8 Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
6.2.9 Marelli Corporation
6.2.10 Valeo Group
6.2.11 Lear Corporation
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Electric Vehicle Power Inverter Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Electric Vehicle Power Inverter Market?
The Electric Vehicle Power Inverter Market is growing at a CAGR of 22.6% over the next 5 years.
What is Electric Vehicle Power Inverter Market size in 2018?
The Electric Vehicle Power Inverter Market is valued at 2 Billion USD in 2018.
What is Electric Vehicle Power Inverter Market size in 2026?
The Electric Vehicle Power Inverter Market is valued at 11 Billion USD in 2026.
Which region has highest growth rate in Electric Vehicle Power Inverter Market?
Europe is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Electric Vehicle Power Inverter Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Electric Vehicle Power Inverter Market?
DENSOCorporation, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Tesla, Inc. , Valeo (Valeo-Siemens eAutomotive), Toyota Industries Corporation are the major companies operating in Electric Vehicle Power Inverter Market.