Egypt Paperboard Packaging Market Size
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Egypt Paperboard Packaging Market Analysis
The Egyptian paperboard packaging market is expected to register a CAGR of 4.1% during the forecast period. The major factors driving the growth of the paperboard packaging market are the increasing demand for paper-based packaging in the food industry in Egypt and a significant upsurge in the e-commerce segment. Furthermore, the rising awareness of the usage of sustainable packaging among the Egyptian population is also driving the growth of the market studied.
- The country's move to reduce plastic packaging consumption in line with the global movement is creating opportunities for paperboard packaging products. The Ministry of Environment of Egypt launched the European Union-funded initiative in the recent past, intending to lower Egypt's strong dependency on plastic packaging and reduce its use due to its adverse effects.
- The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) has been working to boost economic growth and develop open and sustainable market economies for the southern and eastern Mediterranean, known as SEMED. The growing investment of EBRD will help grow Egypt's paperboard packaging market ecosystem in the coming years.
- The COVID-19 pandemic resulted in a new transformation in the e-commerce segment in Cairo and across Egypt, as stated by the Cairo Real Estate Market Performance report by JLL. As a result of the pandemic, the closure of malls changed the logistics landscape in Egypt. Consumers have shifted their preferences towards e-commerce buying, and therefore the e-commerce sector is striving to keep up with the rising demand for online shopping.
- There is considerable growth in paperboard packaging products attributed to customers hoarding due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the country. There has also been an expected rise in consumption as a more significant portion of the Egyptian population's income has been allocated to food spending. The pandemic lowered spending on other aspects due to self-isolation measures. Furthermore, the Russia-Ukraine war has an impact on the overall packaging ecosystem of the country.
- The dynamic prices of the raw materials, paper pulp imported from neighboring countries, and competition from plastic-based packaging are some factors challenging the market growth. For instance, as of May 2022, paper prices increased by EGP 1,200 (USD 64.56) per ton. These factors are expected to result in a decline in the profit margin of vendors until the cost is passed on to customers.
Egypt Paperboard Packaging Industry Segmentation
The study keeps track of market demand through the revenue generated from the paperboard products consumed in Egypt. The market study covers the emerging trends in Egypt's paperboard packaging market. The study also tracks the country’s export-import scenarios of carton board products. The Egyptian paperboard packaging market is segmented by product type (corrugated and solid fiber boxes, folding cartons, and other product types) and end-user industry (food, beverage, healthcare and pharmaceutical, household and personal care, and other end-user industries).
The market sizes and forecasts are provided in terms of value in USD million for all the above segments.
|By Product Type|
|Corrugated and Solid Fiber Boxes|
|Other Product Types|
|By End-User Industry|
|Healthcare and Pharmaceutical|
|Household and Personal Care|
|Other End-user Industries|
Egypt Paperboard Packaging Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Egypt Paperboard Packaging Market according to our research experts:
Folding Cartons is Expected to Grow at a Significant Rate Throughout the Forecast Period
- Folding cartons are one of the most common types of consumer packaging found in the Egyptian paperboard packaging market. Folding cartons are majorly used in retail packaging to hold individual products, and these packaging can also be used to promote products to encourage impulse buying.
- Food and beverage companies in the country are focusing on more investments to expand their production volume, further creating opportunities for the folding cartons segment.
- For instance, Obour Land, which has 12 Carton Pack production lines, invested EGP 600 million (USD 24.64 million) over the past three to four years. The company received an EGP 200 million (USD 8.11 million) investment fund from the National Bank of Kuwait to open four new production lines and prepare for new investments in the coming years.
- Production of folding cartons has been steadily increasing in Egypt, owing to which the country has been witnessing steady growth in the exports of cartons, boxes, and cases made from paperboard. Egypt exported USD 26.27 million worth of paperboard cartons, boxes, and cases in 2017, which increased to USD 43.5 million in 2021.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Food Industry Segment is Expected to Hold a Significant Share Throughout the Forecast Period
- The food industry has been driving the increasing adoption of paperboard packaging in Egypt in the last few years owing to the rising domestic production of food grains like wheat, maize, and rice. According to the FAO-OECD, the production of wheat in the country is expected to reach 10.08 million tons by 2028.
- According to data published by the Ministry of Trade and Industry in April 2021, Egypt's food industries sector attracts investments of EGP 500 billion (USD 31.85 billion), which make up around 24.5% of the country’s gross domestic product (GDP).
- Moreover, according to the data published by the chamber of food industries of Egypt in June 2022, food industries represent about 11% of Egypt's industrial production and employ about 25% of the workforce. There are rising obesity rates amongst the youth, increasing consumers' adoption of healthier lifestyles, and growing trends of buying premium confectionery products.
- In addition to this, a rise in the disposable income of the consumers coupled with increased investments by international Ready to Eat Food brands in the country's local market to boost the product's sales associated with a strong consumer base is driving the demand for the Egyptian paperboard packaging market.
Egypt Paperboard Packaging Industry Overview
The Egyptian paperboard packaging market is moderately competitive and comprises a significant number of regional players who have a considerable global footprint. These players hold a substantial share of the market and are focusing on expanding their customer base across the country. These players are focusing on the investment in introducing new solutions, strategic alliances, and other organic and inorganic growth strategies to capture a significant share during the forecast period.
- October 2022 - A recycling program for aseptic carton packs was introduced in Egypt by the European packaging company SIG in collaboration with Tagaddod. Aseptic carton packs from homes and the foodservice sector will be collected as part of the Recycle for Good initiative.
- April 2022 - The Lafarge Cement subsidiary of the Holcim Group in Egypt sold the paper bag converting lines to Mondi Group. A long-term supply contract was signed by the company's subsidiary Mondi Paper Bags, making Mondi a significant supplier of paper bags for Lafarge Cement Egypt.
Egypt Paperboard Packaging Market Leaders
Graphic Packaging International Egypt
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Egypt Paperboard Packaging Market News
- October 2022 - Tetra Pak, a multinational provider of food processing and packaging solutions, declared that it would establish a joint venture with Egyptian paper board producer Uniboard to recycle used beverage cartons (UBC) in Egypt for a sum of EUR 2.5 million (USD 2.59 million). When the plant reaches full capacity in five years, it will recycle 8,000 tonnes of UBC yearly after beginning the first operation the next year.
- June 2022 - The Board of Directors of the paper and cardboard division of the Chamber of Printing & Packaging Industries of the Federation of Egyptian Industries (FEI), led by the division’s head Jamal Al-Saudi, prepared a case study on strategies to develop the paper and cardboard industry and the challenges it faces, for submission to the responsible authorities for their timely action. Al-Saudi pointed out that the study contains 15 recommendations for solving all the major problems faced by the paper and cardboard industry in Egypt and ways to develop them and increase the sector’s exports.
Egypt Paperboard Packaging Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 PESTEL Analysis - Egypt Paperboard Packaging Market
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3.5 Threat of Substitutes
4.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the Egypt Paperboard Packaging Industry
4.5 Major considerations for Establishing a Packaging facility in Egypt
4.6 Overview of the Global Paperboard Packaging Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Rising demand for paper-based packaging products in the Food industry in Egypt
5.1.2 Growth in the e-commerce segment
5.1.3 Increasing awareness on the use of sustainable packaging aided by changing regulatory landscape
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Environmental concerns and high competition from Plastic-based packaging
6. EGYPT CARTONBOARD IMPORT AND EXPORT ANALYSIS
6.1 Egypt Cartonboard Production (2010 - 2021)
6.2 Egypt Cartonboard Import Volume and Value (2010 - 2021)
6.3 Egypt Cartonboard Export Volume and Value (2010 - 2021)
6.4 Major Importing and Exporting countries
7. MARKET SEGMENTATION
7.1 By Product Type
7.1.1 Corrugated and Solid Fiber Boxes
7.1.2 Folding Cartons
7.1.3 Other Product Types
7.2 By End-User Industry
7.2.3 Healthcare and Pharmaceutical
7.2.4 Household and Personal Care
7.2.5 Other End-user Industries
8. COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE
8.1 Company Profiles
8.1.1 Cepack Group
8.1.2 Amcor Limited
8.1.3 National Bag Company
8.1.4 Indevco Group
8.1.5 Huhtamaki Group
8.1.6 Graphic Packaging International Egypt
8.1.7 Lasheen Group
8.1.8 Express International Group
- *List Not Exhaustive
9. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
10. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Egypt Paperboard Packaging Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Egypt Paperboard Packaging Market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Egypt Paperboard Packaging Market?
The Egypt Paperboard Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 4.1% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Egypt Paperboard Packaging Market?
Cepack Group, Amcor Limited, Indevco Group, Huhtamaki Group, Graphic Packaging International Egypt are the major companies operating in Egypt Paperboard Packaging Market.
Egypt Paperboard Packaging Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Egypt Paperboard Packaging market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Egypt Paperboard Packaging analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.