Egypt Metal Packaging Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
80% of our clients seek made-to-order reports. How do you want us to tailor yours?
Egypt Metal Packaging Market Analysis
The Egyptian Metal Packaging Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.1% over the forecast period. Owing to the growing urban population and changing consumer preferences, food has become a major event and an essential daily necessity for Egyptian citizens. As a result, metal packaging products are gaining rising demand in the Egyptian market.
- Metal packaging products such as aluminum cans and containers have always been in high demand in Egypt owing to their easy-to-handle features. Consumption rates in the country are steadily rising due to the growing middle-income group population, changing lifestyles, and evolving consumer preferences. The beverage and food can industry witnessed a surge in demand amid the pandemic as customers opted to buy multiple packs of beverages and canned food for at-home consumption.
- Growth in the export of food products has given traction to the demand for metal packaging solutions that meet the quality standards of the countries importing processed food products. For instance, according to the Egyptian Export Council for Food Industries, the value of the food export during the first half of 2021 increased by 13% to reach USD 2.052 billion, compared to USD 1,820 billion during the same period in 2020.
- The availability of low-cost alternative plastic and paper packaging solutions and their growing adoption by food and beverage industries are restraining the growth of metal packaging in Egypt. Further, the manufacture of substitute products is expected to adversely impact the market until the vendors explore new avenues. For instance, in November 2022, Tetra Pak, one of the leading packaging solutions providers, announced setting up a joint venture with Egyptian paper board manufacturer Uniboard to recycle Used Beverage Cartons in Egypt with an investment of EUR 2.5 million (USD 2.63 million). This will ensure the availability of raw materials for the beverage cartons manufacturers, negatively impacting metal packaging.
- The COVID-19 pandemic had a significant impact on the Egyptian metal packaging market. Although Egypt acted relatively quickly to curb the spread of this pandemic, negative external factors such as supply chain restrictions combined with the partial lockdown affected the local market and caused significant disruptions.
- Furthermore, the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the Egyptian food and beverage processing and manufacturing sector was not substantial. The food processing sector did not undergo closures throughout the pandemic's first and second waves, as the government of Egypt allowed the food processing sector to continue operations, which supported the metal packaging growth. Further, the Russia-Ukraine war has an impact on the overall packaging ecosystem.
Egypt Metal Packaging Industry Segments
Packaging provides a protective covering to the product and protects it during handling, storage, and movement while supplying information about the content of the package to the users. The use of metals, such as steel, tin plate, and aluminum, for packaging is termed metal packaging. The study tracks the key market parameters, underlying growth influencers, and major vendors operating in the industry, which supports the market estimations and growth rates over the forecast period. Also, the study includes revenue accrued from the sales of metal products offered by various vendors in the market. Tin cans have been considered under the steel can segment for this study.
For the market estimation and projection, the inputs from the primary interviews were also considered, along with the impact of COVID-19. The Egyptian metal packaging market is segmented by material (aluminum and steel), by product type (cans, bulk containers, shipping barrels and drums, caps and closures, and other product types), and by end-user industry (beverage, food, paint and chemical, industrial, and other end-user verticals).
The market sizes and forecasts are provided in terms of value (USD million) for all the above segments.
|By Product Type|
|Shipping Barrels and Drums|
|Caps and Closures|
|Other Product Types|
|By End-user Vertical|
|Paint and Chemical|
|Other End-users Verticals|
Egypt Metal Packaging Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Egypt Metal Packaging Market according to our research experts:
Cans are Expected to Hold a Significant Share
- Cans have been the most popular of all metal packaging options. The ease of use and availability of metal cans have aided their adoption in various packaging applications over the last century. Egypt's demand for packaged food is increasing due to rising income, ease and convenience, and the availability of canned food. Furthermore, consumer trends such as a preference for small-size and multi-pack packaging formats are boosting the volume growth of metal cans in Egypt's food sector.
- The rising export of packaged food from Egypt has significantly added to the growth of metal packaging products in the market. According to the Food Export Council, Annual exports of Egyptian food increased by 19% in 2021, recording a revenue of USD 4.1 billion, compared with USD 3.45 billion in 2020. Arab countries are the top importers of processed food from Egypt. Halal-certified packaging solutions are very important for vendors to have a better reach and adoption for their offerings.
- A trend in the country is the growing preference for canned fruits soaked in their natural fruit juices instead of artificial sugar syrup. Countries like the United Kingdom, Germany, France, and the Netherlands offer opportunities for exporters from developing countries for canned fruits, further creating demand for metal cans.
- Cans are preferred by consumers who consider them easy to open, store, and stack, and easy to dispose of; also, they are catered in a wide range of sizes and have numerous uses. Due to shifts in consumer trends and preferences, beverage cans are gaining momentum in specialty drink categories.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Beverage Industry Expected to Hold Major Share
- The beverage manufacturers continued to capture opportunities in Egypt with newer brands, including high-end products and health drinks for the international audience from the tourist segments.
- In August 2022, the Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics published statistics that state the beverage industry surged by 30.2% month-on-month in May with the beginning of the summer season in Egypt due to growing consumer spending on beverages such as energy drinks, carbonated drinks, etc.
- Furthermore, to increase the export of food and beverage products to regional and global markets, the government of Egypt provided all forms of support to PepsiCo, which planned to increase its investments in Egypt in the next five years.
- In addition, in August 2022, the Egyptian International Beverage Co., an independent producer and distributor of various beverage brands in Egypt, signed a Finance Agreement with Elite Capital & Co. Limited United Kingdom to finance its expansion plans. With this expansion plan, the company focuses on serving the tourist industry with products that have won international awards and are well-liked in the local market.
- Such growth factors backed by the government to support the beverage industry and expansion by the manufacturers to cater to the growing demand for beverages are likely to advocate for the growth of metal packaging in Egypt.
Egypt Metal Packaging Market Competitor Analysis
The Egyptian metal packaging market is fragmented, owing to the presence of many global and domestic players of metal packaging solution providers in the region. Also, players operating in the market are focused on strategic activities such as partnerships, collaborations, expansion, product innovation, and others to boost their market presence and gain maximum market traction. The vendors operating in the market are a mix of domestic and international players some among them are Greif Inc., Willy Group, Ball Beverage Packaging, Ghandour Brothers Metal Industries (Gcan), EuroPack, El Sharkia Packing Co., and Alfouad Packaging.
In December 2022, CairoPac, a company that specializes in food processing 3-Piece Cans manufacturing, invested EGP 200 million (USD 8.12 million) so that its production lines which have a capacity of 840,000 cans and lids currently, could be increased to the capacity of 1.2 million cans/day in the food industry, with a state-of-the-art can production facility in line with international standards.
Egypt Metal Packaging Market Top Players
Ball Beverage Packaging
Ghandour Brothers Metal Industries(Gcan)
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Egypt Metal Packaging Market Recent Developments
- December 2022: Alfouad Packaging started serving about twenty different sectors in the domestic market, providing metal cans in nine different shapes for various applications across Egypt and the Middle East.
Egypt Metal Packaging Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industrial Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers/Buyers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
4.5 Overview of the Global Metal Packaging Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1.1 Growing Demand from Beverage Industry
5.1.2 High Recyclability Rates of Metal Packaging
5.2.1 Availability of Low Cost Alternative Packaging Solutions
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Material
6.2 By Product Type
188.8.131.52 Food Cans
184.108.40.206 Beverage Cans
220.127.116.11 Aerosol Cans
6.2.2 Bulk Containers
6.2.3 Shipping Barrels and Drums
6.2.4 Caps and Closures
6.2.5 Other Product Types
6.3 By End-user Vertical
6.3.3 Paint and Chemical
6.3.5 Other End-users Verticals
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles*
7.1.1 Greif Inc.
7.1.2 Willy Group
7.1.3 Ball Beverage Packaging
7.1.4 Ghandour Brothers Metal Industries(Gcan)
7.1.5 El Sharkia Packing Co.
7.1.6 Alfouad Packaging
7.1.10 Egyptian Metal Caps EGYCAP
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
Egypt Metal Packaging Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Egypt Metal Packaging Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Egypt Metal Packaging Market?
The Egypt Metal Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 3.1% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Egypt Metal Packaging Market?
Greif Inc., Willy Group, Ball Beverage Packaging, Ghandour Brothers Metal Industries(Gcan), EuroPack are the major companies operating in Egypt Metal Packaging Market.
Egypt Metal Packaging Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Egypt Metal Packaging Market sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Egypt Metal Packaging Market research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Egypt Metal Packaging Market report PDF.