Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Egypt Plastic Packaging Market is expected to grow with a CAGR of 5.9% during the forecast period of 2021-2026. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, consumers in Egypt drastically ramped up their online purchases of food products. The main grocery items being purchased were products with short shelf lives. This was mainly driven by the freshness aspect and high nutritional benefits to help boost immunity. The top grocery products for online purchases were dairy products, fruits & vegetables, and bread. The online survey was conducted between Mid March to April, involving 2800 participants.
- With changing consumer trends toward healthier products, regulations, and drive toward sustainability in this region, plastic packaging professionals have a huge impact on innovating and evolving materials, designs, and technologies for their customers.
- Sustainability is one of the biggest concerns for consumers. To address this, manufacturers are producing lightweight containers; the size of packaging is also becoming smaller.
- The probiotic drink segment is expected to witness a considerable number of new buyers due to the growing concern of strengthening immunity. The number of gym memberships has been increasing in this region, which is a depiction of the growing interest of the people in staying fit, which in turn, would increase the plastic packaging market for energy drinks.
- Moreover, with the increased urbanization and mobility becoming the norm in societies in this region, the move towards small packs and multipacks is becoming more important.
- New materials are being developed which are expected to gradually substitute plastic, which might present a challenge for the vendors in the market. For instance, The Al Ain Plant Bottle from Agthia Group PJSC is the region's first plant-based water bottle, which was developed in March 2020. The bottles are made from corn sugars and caps from fermented sugar cane.
Scope of the report
Plastic packaging has gained significant traction in the healthcare industry due to its high barrier properties, long shelf-life, and durability. The demand for plastic packaging solutions will continue to grow throughout the forecast period. Egypt Plastic Packaging Market is segmented by Material (PE, BOPP, CPP, PVC, Others), Packaging Type (Rigid, Flexible), Product (Bottles & Jars, Tub, Cup Bowls & trays, Intermediate Bulk containers, Pouches, Others), end-user (Food, Beverage, Cosmetics & Personal Care, Others)
|By Packaging Type|
|Bottles & Jars|
|Tub, Cup Bowls & trays|
|Intermediate Bulk containers|
|By end user|
|Cosmetics & personal Care|
Key Market Trends
Flexible Plastic Packaging is expected to hold largest market share
- The flexible plastic packaging market is expected to witness significant growth in the future due to its increased demand in end-use industries, such as food, beverage, cosmetic & personal care, and pharmaceutical. Growth in modern retailing, high consumer income, and acceleration in e-commerce activities in Egypt are likely to support the growth of the flexible plastic packaging market during the forecast period.
- Due to busy lifestyles, the demand for convenient products has increased, thus leading to a rise in demand for flexible packs. Flexible plastic packaging requires fewer resources and energy for packaging; hence, flexible packs are available at low costs and occupy 35% less retail shelf space, rendering them cost-effective as compared to other forms of packaging.
- Dynamic industry changes, such as the introduction of new regulatory initiatives, have encouraged manufacturers to develop new packaging options. Growing concerns regarding the use of bio-degradable plastics for flexible packaging and its impact on the environment have also driven manufacturers to develop sustainable packaging options that are safe and secure. In order to reduce the cost pressure and maintain the integrity of product packages, manufacturers are considering sustainable packaging solutions that require fewer materials and energy to manufacture a package, reduce transportation expenses, and offer extended shelf-life to the product.
- In 2019, Huhtamaki inaugurated its new, state-of-the-art flexible packaging unit in Egypt. The greenfield is located in the greater Cairo area and serves Huhtamaki's flexible packaging customers in Egypt as well as export its products to other African countries and Europe. The manufacturing unit is built on a land area of almost 37,000 square meters, with ample space for future expansion. Production has started this spring, and the facility is expected to employ approximately 250 employees.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
By End User Industry, Food is expected to hold the largest market share
- Food packaging is one of the largest users of plastics. The demand for rigid plastic packaging for the food industry is witnessing demand, as they are increasingly replacing traditional materials such as paperboard, metals, and glass, owing to their beneficial properties, such as lightweight and reduced cost.
- The food packaging segment includes packaging solutions for sauces and condiments, dairy products, pickles and syrups, jam, processed vegetables and fruits, and baby food.
- In 2020, continued transparency in food packaging was seen trending. Going beyond just the listed ingredients on the label, consumers also want to see the physical product before purchase. Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles are taking over for glass in the single-serve ketchup, condiments, and barbecue sauce markets.
- Food packaging is one of the largest users of plastics. The demand for rigid plastic packaging from the food industry is witnessing demand, as they are increasingly replacing traditional materials such as paperboard, metals, and glass, owing to their beneficial properties, such as lightweight and reduced cost.
- Dairy, snacks, and confectionery products are the most significant end users of flexible packaging. Advancements in packaging technology, such as modified atmosphere and high-pressure processing, have increased the use of the flexible packaging format for meat, poultry, fruits, and vegetables.
- Frozen products, especially ice creams, require flexibility in terms of the packaging shape. Hence, these products create a demand for flexible plastic packaging solutions. Consumers who are focused on health and prefer organic food are other prominent users of flexible packaging, particularly in the segments of fresh fruits, health bars, salads, and other fresh produce.
The Egypt Plastic Packaging Market is highly competitive and has several major players. A few of the players enjoy better market goodwill and extended geographical recognition and presence. The major players, who have a relatively prominent share in the market, are focusing on expanding their customer base across the end-user industries.
- OCT 2021 - Nestle Pure Life has launched Egypt’s first water bottles made of 100% recycled plastics (rPET) in its 1.5 liters format as it continues its move towards more sustainable packaging. The new bottles are made of high-quality and food-grade recovered and reprocessed plastics are known as rPET, which stands for “Recycled Polyethylene Terephthalate.” The innovation was first introduced and approved by the European Union as safe to use, ensuring quality and safety. Products produced by Nestlé Waters Egypt go through a rigorous 10-step quality process, and bottles undergo more than one million quality tests per year.
- JUN 2020- Aramco announced the completion of its share acquisition of a 70% stake in Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC) from the Public Investment Fund (PIF). The acquisition of the SABIC stake aids Aramco’s long-term downstream strategy to grow its integrated refining and petrochemicals capacity and create value from integration across the hydrocarbon chain.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTs
4.1 Market Overview (Followed by Impact of COVID-19 on the Market)
4.2 Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Guidelines and Policies
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Introduction to Market Dynamics
5.2 Market Drivers
5.2.1 Demand for Oxo-Degradable Plastics
5.3 Market Challenges
5.3.1 Environmental Concerns Over Recycling and Safe Disposal
5.4 Current Trade Dynamics (Import/Export Analysis)
5.5 Regulatory Environment Across Countries
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Material
6.2 By Packaging Type
6.3 By product
6.3.1 Bottles & Jars
6.3.2 Tub, Cup Bowls & trays
6.3.3 Intermediate Bulk containers
6.4 By end user
6.4.3 Cosmetics & personal Care
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.2 Mondi Group
7.1.4 RPC Group
7.1.8 Tetra Laval
7.1.9 DS Smith PLC
7.1.10 Prolamina Packaging
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Egypt Plastic Packaging Market market is studied from 2019 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Egypt Plastic Packaging Market?
The Egypt Plastic Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.9% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Egypt Plastic Packaging Market?
Tetra Laval, Sonoco, DS Smith, Amcor, Mondi Group are the major companies operating in Egypt Plastic Packaging Market.