Egypt Plastic Packaging Market Size
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Egypt Plastic Packaging Market Analysis
The Egypt Plastic Packaging Market is expected to grow with a CAGR of 5.91% during the forecast period. The plastic packaging market is expected to be driven by several macro factors, including evolving lifestyles, increasing urban residents, expanding economic activity nationwide, and greater penetration of online retailers nationwide.
- Additionally, the plastic packaging market is anticipated to grow significantly over the coming years due to rising demand in end-use industries, including food, beverage, cosmetics, personal care, and pharmaceuticals. The plastic packaging market is anticipated to be driven by an increase in modern retailing, increasing consumer affluence, and accelerating e-commerce activities, particularly in emerging areas of the nation.
- The e-commerce industry's strong growth will also probably create new opportunities for the sector to expand. Lightweight and flexible packaging options are preferred by e-commerce businesses to cut down on transportation costs. The market is anticipated to be fueled by online shopping for everyday fresh meals, FMCG goods, technological devices, and clothing.
- Plastic packaging professionals in this area significantly impact inventing and upgrading materials, designs, and technologies for their customers due to shifting consumer preferences toward healthier products, laws, and the drive toward sustainability. One of the main issues for customers is sustainability. Manufacturers are creating lightweight containers to solve this, and package size is also getting smaller.
- Furthermore, it is anticipated that more opportunities for plastic packaging will arise in the forecast period due to the growing introduction of innovative packaging solutions, including bioplastic, active packaging, and packaging for dynamic atmospheres and edibles. However, the industry's expansion in the upcoming years will likely be threatened by growing sustainability awareness and a strict restriction on single-use plastic to reduce plastic pollution.
- The COVID-19 outbreak significantly impacted Egypt's SMEs that produce plastic packaging. The effects of COVID-19 on SMEs resulted in both operational and financial issues. Additionally, there was a noticeable disturbance in the supply chain regarding output. Financially, they have little cash on hand, but instead of applying for a loan to pay their bills, they temporarily choose to cut back on production. Further, the Russia-Ukraine war has an impact on the overall packaging ecosystem.
Egypt Plastic Packaging Industry Segmentation
The market is tracked in terms of consumption of the plastic products considered under the market studied. The study tracks revenue and volume accrued from the sales of different packaging products offered by Egypt vendors operating in the studied market.
The Egypt Plastic Packaging Market is segmented by Material (PE, BOPP, CPP, and PVC), Packaging Type (Rigid, Flexible), Product (Bottles & Jars, Tubs, Cup Bowls & trays, Intermediate Bulk containers, and Pouches), and End User (Food, Beverage, and Cosmetics & Personal Care). The market sizes and forecasts are provided in terms of value (USD million) for all the above segments.
|By Packaging Type|
|Bottles & Jars|
|Tubs, Cup Bowls & Trays|
|Intermediate Bulk Containers|
|By End User|
|Cosmetics & Personal Care|
Egypt Plastic Packaging Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Egypt Plastic Packaging Market according to our research experts:
Growing Demand for Flexible and Oxo-Degradable Plastics
- Due to the rising demand for flexible plastic packaging in end-use industries, including the food, beverage, cosmetic & personal care, and pharmaceutical sectors, the market is anticipated to expand considerably in the coming years. The expansion of the flexible plastic packaging market is projected to be supported throughout the forecast period by growth in modern retailing, high consumer income, and acceleration in e-commerce activities in Egypt.
- Flexible packaging is in higher demand due to consumers' increasingly hectic lifestyles and growing need for handy items. Flexible plastic packaging uses less energy and resources, so it is less expensive to produce and takes up 35% less space on store shelves, making it more cost-effective than other types of packaging.
- The development of new packaging choices has been driven by dynamic changes in the sector, such as new regulatory measures. Growing concerns regarding using biodegradable polymers for flexible packaging and their implications on the environment have forced manufacturers to develop safe, secure, and eco-friendly packaging options such as oxo-degradable plastics. Manufacturers are looking towards sustainable packaging options that need fewer resources and energy to create a package, demand less money for transportation, and provide a longer shelf life to ease cost pressure and retain the integrity of product packages.
- Additionally, modern retailers increased their share of Egypt's channel distribution significantly. The nation has moved away from grocery merchants and open markets to supermarkets and hypermarkets during the past two years. In the upcoming years, the food industry will increasingly use flexible packaging such as vacuum bags and pouches.
- According to International Trade Center (ITC) data, in 2021, the imports of plastics and articles in Egypt were recorded at around USD 4093.208 million, a 37.42% increase in the value from the previous year, 2020, which recorded about USD 2978.579 million. Such a rise in imports may increase the adoption of flexible packaging in the country.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Food is expected to Hold the Significant Market Share
- One of the significant applications of plastics is in food packaging. Due to their advantageous characteristics, such as lightweight and low cost, rigid plastic packaging is increasingly in demand from the food sector. It is replacing traditional materials like paperboard, metals, and glass in the country.
- Flexible packaging is mainly used for dairy, snacks, and confectionery items. Flexible packaging in the country is now used more frequently for meat, poultry, fruits, and vegetables owing to advancements in packaging technology, such as controlled environments and high-pressure processing.
- Further, the demand for frozen food packaging is also increasing in Egypt. In terms of packing shape, frozen goods, especially ice creams, need flexibility. As a result, there is a demand for flexible plastic packaging options because of these products. The categories of fresh fruits, health bars, salads, and other fresh produce are particularly popular with health-conscious consumers who want organic food.
- As per the United States Department of Agriculture Egypt report 2022, the retail food industry expanded by roughly 3.4% from 2020 to 2021. Compared to 2020, the industry saw sales of USD 30.2 billion increase to USD 31.3 billion in 2021. The 4,041 contemporary retail outlets, including supermarkets, hypermarkets, and convenience stores, account for about 27.1 percent of total sales. Traditional grocery stores have 116,578 locations, accounting for 72.9% of total sales. The majority of retail stores in Egypt are still small, traditional grocers.
- Further, as per GATS, TDM & FAS Cairo Research data, beef, and beef products, dairy goods, spices, fresh fruit, tea, chocolate and cocoa products, tree nuts, soups and other food preparations, fresh vegetables, chicken meat, and products were the main consumer-oriented imports of Egypt in 2021. The top suppliers were India with USD 692 million (18%), Brazil with USD 324 million (9%), the United States with USD 243 million (6%), Kenya with USD 202 million (5%), the Netherlands with USD 163 million (4%), and Italy with USD 159 million (4%).
- Furthermore, the foreign footprints in Egypt are also creating enormous opportunities for the Studied market. For example, Foodies, which specializes in providing cloud-based all-in-one restaurant management solutions, estimated the Egyptian restaurant market to be worth USD 17 billion annually in 2021. In 2021, the company planned to present its management solutions to 2,000 restaurants in Egypt.
Egypt Plastic Packaging Industry Overview
The Egypt Plastic Packaging Market is highly consolidated and has a few major players. Some participants benefit from the enhanced market reputation and broader regional presence. The major players, who hold a sizable market share, such as Amcor Plc, Mondi Plc, DS Smith Plc, Sonoco Products Company, and Tetra Laval Group, are concentrating on growing their customer base throughout the end-user sectors. Few firms are involved in collaborations and partnerships to implement a circular economy model of recycling plastics.
In September 2022, Mondi collaborated with Essity and Dow to develop fresh, recyclable secondary packaging for its feminine care products. The solution highlights the companies' dedication to advancing full recyclability and increasing the usage of recycled plastic in their packaging. Additionally, mechanically recycled post-consumer material is used in innovative packaging. Mondi collaborated with longtime supplier Dow and other businesses along the value chain to identify the ideal resin formulation for this solution. The final product is an extruded film that has been printed before being made into a bag.
In February 2022, BariQ for Techno and Advanced Industries announced the signing of a contract for the development of a new PET bottle-to-bottle recycling facility in the Giza Governorate of Egypt that will be equipped with the latest plastic sorting technology from TOMRA Recycling. The event provided beneficial networking possibilities and unveiled the new plant's design, enabling it to generate more than 35,000 metric tonnes of food-grade rPET annually while avoiding more than 80,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions.
Egypt Plastic Packaging Market Leaders
Tetra Laval Group
Sonoco Products Company
DS Smith Plc
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Egypt Plastic Packaging Market News
- August 2022: Al Ahram Beverages Company announced its agreement with DORNA to partner with unofficial waste recyclers in specified locations to meet the sustainability goal of recycling 25% of its plastic PET production by 2022. The Ministry of Environment is in charge of this collaboration. Al Ahram Beverages Company is investing EGP 5 million (USD 0.21 million) this year to reach this goal. The company plans to boost expenditures yearly to recycle all PET production by the end of 2025.
- June 2022: Dow, a prominent plastic packaging company, announced Project Reflex's extension into Egypt and Guinea after a successful trial phase in Nigeria. The program seeks to increase the recycling of flexible packaging in Africa to create a market for recycled content. While creating employment possibilities for nearby communities, the project aims to enhance trash management.
Egypt Plastic Packaging Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter Five Forces
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Industry Guidelines and Policies
4.5 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Packaging Industry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Demand for Flexible and Oxo-Degradable Plastics
5.1.2 Rising Demand For Food
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Environmental Concerns Over Recycling and Safe Disposal
5.2.2 Increasing Government Regulations in the Country
5.3 Current Trade Dynamics (Import/Export Analysis)
5.4 Regulatory Environment Across Countries
5.5 Overview of Global Plastic Packaging Market
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Material
6.2 By Packaging Type
6.3 By Product
6.3.1 Bottles & Jars
6.3.2 Tubs, Cup Bowls & Trays
6.3.3 Intermediate Bulk Containers
6.4 By End User
6.4.3 Cosmetics & Personal Care
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Amcor Plc
7.1.2 Mondi Plc
7.1.3 Tetra Laval Group
7.1.4 Sonoco Products Company
7.1.5 DS Smith PLC
7.1.9 Egyptian Packaging & Plastic Systems
7.1.10 Prolamina Packaging
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Egypt Plastic Packaging Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Egypt Plastic Packaging Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Egypt Plastic Packaging Market?
The Egypt Plastic Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.91% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Egypt Plastic Packaging Market?
Amcor Plc, Tetra Laval Group, Sonoco Products Company, Mondi Plc, DS Smith Plc are the major companies operating in Egypt Plastic Packaging Market.
Egypt Plastic Packaging Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Egypt Plastic Packaging market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Egypt Plastic Packaging analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.