|Study Period:||2019- 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The DDOS protection market was valued at USD 1.34 billion in 2020, and it is expected to reach a value of USD 4.25 billion by 2026, registering a CAGR of 17.71% over the forecast period. With the emergence of the COVID-19 pandemic, working environments have shifted almost entirely to the Web. People across the globe have increasingly started working, studying, and shopping online as compared to before. This has also been reflected in the goals of recent DDoS attacks, with the most targeted resources being the websites of medical organizations, delivery services, and gaming and educational platforms.
For instance, the food delivery services Lieferando (Germany) and Thuisbezorgd (Netherlands) found themselves under attack. The DDoS attacks on both companies disrupted the services of the company's food delivery service. However, they were able to accept the orders but were not able to process them and had to return customers' money.
- The requirement for DDoS protection for enterprises has gained tremendous significance, as failure to deal with the attacks can affect revenue, productivity, reputation, and user loyalty. According to Cloudflare, the financial burden of a DDoS attack is significant, as falling victim to a DDoS attack can cost an organization around USD 100,000 for every hour the attack lasts, further fuelling the demand for DDoS protection solutions.
- Additionally, as per Cloudflare, DDoS attacks are surging, both in frequency and sophistication. After doubling from Q1 to Q2, the total number of network layer attacks witnessed in Q3 doubled again, resulting in a 4x increase in the number compared to the pre-COVID levels in the first quarter. The company also witnessed more attack vectors deployed than ever. In fact, while SYN, RST, and UDP floods continue to dominate the landscape, the company saw an explosion in protocol-specific attacks such as mDNS, Memcached, and Jenkins DoS attacks.
- As per Cisco, the number of DDoS attacks exceeding 1 gigabit per second of traffic is expected to rise to 3.1 million by the mid forecast period, i.e., by 2021, which is a 2.5-fold increase from 2016. In recent years, these attacks have been increasing in both frequency and severity.
- Moreover, under the country-based distribution, the United States observed the greatest number of L3/4 DDoS attacks, followed by Germany and Australia. The top countries affected by region include North America (United States, Canada), Europe (Germany, Russia among others), Middle East (UAE, Kuwait), Asia Pacific, and Oceania (Australia, Thailand, Japan).
Scope of the Report
The study tracks the revenues accrued from the vendors providing solutions for DDOS attack prevention on the network of the end users. Services are also part of the study and include solutions sold to the third party by the vendors for providing it along with their equipment.
The prominent end-user industries covered under the study are Government and Defense, BSFI, IT, and Telecom. End-user industries with revenue less than USD 1 billion are considered small and medium enterprises, and end-user industries with revenue greater than USD 1 billion fall in another category.
The market estimation tracks the revenue accrued from both licensing and subscription-based software and services offered to large-scale enterprises as well as to SMEs. The analysis also covers the cloud, on-premise, and hybrid deployment trends of DDOS protection solutions and services.
The report captures the impact of COVID-19 on the market, its stakeholders, and the same has been considered while arriving at the current market estimation and for future projections.
|Size of Enterprise|
|Small and Medium Enterprises|
|Government and Defense|
|IT & Telecommunication|
|Media & Entertainment|
|Other End-user Industries|
|Rest of the World|
Key Market Trends
BFSI is Expected to Hold a Significant Share
- BFSI industry is one of the critical infrastructure segments that faces multiple data breaches and cyber-attacks, owing to the massive customer base that the sector serves and the financial information that is at stake. Being a highly lucrative operation model that has phenomenal returns along with the added upside of relatively low risk and detectability, cybercriminals are optimizing a plethora of diabolical cyberattacks to immobilize the financial sector. These attacks' threat landscape ranges from trojans, malware, ransomware, mobile banking malware, data breaches, and data thefts, among others.
- Moreover, according to NETSCOUT, the DDoS (Distributed Denial of service) attacks increased in the period of January-May 2020, with EMEA being the most affected region, having nearly 40% of the attacks, followed by NAMER, which had attacks of 33%. Further, APACA recorded 15%, and LATAM recorded DDoS attacks of 13% in the Banking and financial sectors.
- Furthermore, according to NETSCOUT, the volume of DDoS attacks for financial companies ramped up across the world in April 2020, followed by the United Kingdom witnessing 14 times more attacks (target financial institutions) by June 2020 when compared to the prior year. Also, the United kingdom's volumes of DDoS traffic against the financial sector reached to of 32.3 Gbps in July 2020. Therefore, such attacks have increased the demand for distributed denial of service for the banking and financial sectors.
- For instance, Moneycorp, which is one of the fastest foreign exchange companies, has implemented Distributed denial of Service from DoSarrest Internet Security to ensure customer transitions and websites are safe owing to the rising DDoS attacks. Moneycorp implemented a Proxy Defence DDoS solution that has ensured 24x7 protection to websites. Since the solution offered is a cloud-based post-DDoS attack, the website takes less than 15 minutes to get back running and ensures customer convenience.
- Further, the HTTP DDoS attack is also increasing in the financial sector, and according to Cloudflare, the BFSI witnessed three times larger HTTP DDoS attacks in 2021, compared to the prior year.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America is Expected to Hold Major Share
- The North American region is expected to hold a significant share of the market, primarily owing to the higher adoption of advanced technologies and stricter implementation of cybersecurity solutions. Given the need for meeting stringent regulatory and compliances requirements, there is a rising need for advanced security systems among the end-user industries in the region that boosts the market growth positively.
- The region also accounts for a significant number of DDoS attacks, which are likely to increase with respect to multiple end-user industries, further driving the demand for DDoS protection solutions. Moreover, cyberattacks in the region, especially in the United States, are increasing rapidly. They are reaching high numbers, primarily owing to the rapidly increasing number of connected devices in the region.
- Also, in the United States, consumers have been using public clouds, and multiple mobile applications are preloaded with personal information for the convenience of banking, shopping, communication. In the past few years, companies in the region have been witnessing increasing DDoS attacks, which has resulted in tremendous awareness related to protection solutions. Also, according to the White House Council of Economic Advisers, the US economy loses approximately USD 57 billion to USD 109 billion per year to harmful cyber activity.
- Moreover, according to Atlas VPN, it was estimated that there were more than 175,000 DDoS attacks in the United States in March 2020 alone. Attackers tried to disable the website of the US Department of Health and Human Services. The primary purpose seemed to deprive the citizens of the access to official data regarding the COVID-19 pandemic and the measures being taken against it.
- The US government also signed a law to establish Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), in order to enhance the national defense against cyber attacks. The agency works with the federal government to provide cybersecurity tools, incident response services, and assessment capabilities to safeguard the governmental networks that support essential operations of the partner departments and agencies. As a result, it opens new avenues for the new and existing companies to invest in a suitable protection suite designed for the industry.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The DDoS protection market primarily comprises multiple domestic and international players fighting for attention in a fairly contested market space. The market is also characterized by growing product penetration, moderate/high product differentiation, and high levels of competition. The market is product-centric, and technological advancements constantly govern it. Moreover, organizations are also opting for solutions that provide faster security updates. This has led to an increase in the demand for cloud-based solutions, as the updates can be received in real-time.
- August 2021 - Radware and INAP, a premier partner and a global provider of performance-driven, secure hybrid infrastructure solutions, expanded their partnership to deploy Radware’s Cloud WAF and DDoS Protection Services to organizations across the world.
- October 2020 - F5 introduced BIG-IP AFM Virtual Edition integrated with Intel FPGA Programmable Acceleration Card (PAC) N3000, an FPGA-based SmartNIC that enables organizations to make the transition from hardware to the software of F5, without affecting the performance of DDoS protection. This solution withstands a DDoS attack up to 300 times greater in magnitude while reducing the total cost of ownership by around 47%.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.2.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increasing Instances of Sophisticated DDoS Attacks
5.1.2 Introduction of Cost-effective Cloud-based and Hybrid Solutions
5.1.3 Proliferation of Technology and Adoption of IoT across Various Verticals
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Growing Network and Deployment Complexities
6. RELEVANT USE-CASES & CASE STUDIES
7. MARKET SEGMENTATION
7.2 Deployment Type
7.3 Size of Enterprise
7.3.1 Small and Medium Enterprises
7.3.2 Large Enterprises
7.4 End-user Industry
7.4.1 Government and Defense
7.4.2 IT & Telecommunication
7.4.6 Media & Entertainment
7.4.7 Other End-user Industries
7.5.1 North America
7.5.4 Rest of the World
8. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
8.1 Company Profiles
8.1.1 Arbor Networks Inc. (NetScout Systems Inc.)
8.1.2 Akamai Technologies Inc.
8.1.3 F5 Networks Inc.
8.1.4 Imperva Inc.
8.1.5 Radware Ltd
8.1.6 Corero Network Security Inc.
8.1.7 Neustar Inc.
8.1.8 Cloudflare Inc.
8.1.9 Nexusguard Ltd
8.1.10 Dosarrest Internet Security Ltd
8.1.11 Verisign Inc.
9. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
10. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The DDoS Protection Market market is studied from 2019 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of DDoS Protection Market?
The DDoS Protection Market is growing at a CAGR of 17.71% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in DDoS Protection Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in DDoS Protection Market?
North America holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in DDoS Protection Market?
Arbor Networks Inc. (NetScout Systems Inc.), Akamai Technologies Inc., F5 Networks Inc., Radware Ltd, Corero Network Security Inc. are the major companies operating in DDoS Protection Market.