DDoS Protection Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
DDoS Protection Market Analysis
The Distributed Denial of Services (DDoS) Protection Market size is expected to grow from USD 2.23 billion in 2022 to USD 6.02 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 18.21% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
With the emergence of the COVID-19 pandemic, working environments have shifted almost entirely to the web. People worldwide have increasingly started working, studying, and shopping online as compared to before. This has also been reflected in the goals of recent DDoS attacks, with the most targeted resources being the websites of medical organizations, delivery services, and gaming and educational platforms.
- An alarming increase in the number of network attacks is anticipated to be a significant driver for the adoption of DDoS protection solutions. The threat of these attacks is driven by ready access to easy-to-use tools and a more comprehensive criminal understanding of its potential for profit through extortion. These attacks directly target business systems and individuals, which could lead to enormous financial and personal losses.
- The requirement for DDoS protection for enterprises has gained tremendous significance, as failure to deal with the attacks can affect revenue, productivity, reputation, and user loyalty. According to Cloudflare, the financial burden of a DDoS attack is significant, as falling victim to a DDoS attack can cost an organization around USD 100,000 for every hour the attack lasts, further fuelling the demand for DDoS protection solutions.
- Additionally, as per Cloudflare, DDoS attacks are surging in frequency and sophistication. After doubling from Q1 to Q2, the total number of network layer attacks witnessed in Q3 doubled again, resulting in a 4x increase compared to the pre-COVID-19 levels in the first quarter. The company also witnessed more attack vectors deployed than ever. While SYN, RST, and UDP floods continue to dominate the landscape, the company saw an explosion in protocol-specific attacks such as mDNS, Memcached, and Jenkins DoS attacks.
- As per Cisco, the number of DDoS attacks exceeding 1 gigabit per second of traffic is expected to rise to 3.1 million by the mid-forecast period, i.e., by 2021, which is a 2.5-fold increase from 2016. In recent years, these attacks have increased in frequency and severity.
- Moreover, the United States observed the highest number of L3/4 DDoS attacks under the country-based distribution, followed by Germany and Australia. The top countries affected by region include North America (United States, Canada), Europe (Germany, Russia, among others), the Middle East (UAE, Kuwait), Asia-Pacific, and Oceania (Australia, Thailand, Japan).
- The telecom industry was at the top when DDoS attacks most targeted it during the first quarter of 2021. According to Cloudflare, application-layer attacks are on the rise, and those that aim to disrupt the HTTP server's ability to process requests are reasons for significant concern. Also, ransom DDoS attacks continued to be a significant challenge during the first quarter of 2021.
DDoS Protection Industry Segmentation
DDoS prevention refers to the process of protecting a targeted server or network from a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack. A targeted victim can mitigate the incoming threat by utilizing specially designed network equipment or a cloud-based protection service.
The DDoS protection market is segmented by component (solution and service), deployment type (cloud, on-premise, and hybrid), size of enterprise (small and medium enterprises and large enterprises), end-user industry (government and defense, it and telecommunication, healthcare, retail, BFSI, and media and entertainment), and geography.
|Size of Enterprise|
|Small and Medium Enterprises|
|Government and Defense|
|IT and Telecommunication|
|Media and Entertainment|
|Other End-user Industries|
|Rest of the World|
DDoS Protection Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the DDoS Protection Market according to our research experts:
Increasing Instances of Sophisticated DDoS Attacks to Drive the Market
- The rapidly rising instances of DDoS attacks across multiple industries, which have disrupted crucial organizational services and the loss of millions of dollars for various companies, have increased the focus on robust protection solutions across emerging economies.
- Network layer attacks that target exposed network infrastructure such as inline routers and other network servers significantly impact data centers where a significant share of IT and telecom vendors operate. According to Cloudflare, about 44% of network layer attacks occurred in January 2021, with synchronizing flag (SYN) packet flood attacks remaining the most common. Other attacks noted included reset flag (RST) packets, user datagram protocol (UDP), and domain name system amplification attacks. Due to such developments, DDoS protection is vital for vendors operating in these industries.
- The increased bandwidth and low latency in 5G are further anticipated to increase the volume and severity of the attacks. According to Corero's study, the higher bandwidth of 5G enables advanced botnets to harness as many mobiles or IoT devices as possible to cripple their targets.
- Further, with the adoption of remote working due to the onset of Covid, corporate networks have become more vulnerable when accessed from unsecured work-from-home environments, as personal computing devices are not always protected, thus causing an increase in Botnet DDoS attacks.
- As businesses worldwide grow, new and advanced persistent threats have exposed critical services to risk. This has encouraged organizations to deploy better DDoS solutions to safeguard their endpoints and networks against potential attacks.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America is Expected to Hold a Major Share
- The North American region is expected to hold a significant market share, primarily due to the higher adoption of advanced technologies and stricter implementation of cybersecurity solutions. Given the need to meet stringent regulatory and compliance requirements, there is a rising need for advanced security systems among the region's end-user industries that positively boost the market's growth.
- The region also accounts for a significant number of DDoS attacks, which are likely to increase with respect to multiple end-user industries, further driving the demand for DDoS protection solutions. Moreover, cyberattacks in the region, especially in the United States, are increasing rapidly. They are reaching high numbers, primarily owing to the rapidly increasing number of connected devices in the region.
- Also, in the United States, consumers have been using public clouds, and multiple mobile applications are preloaded with personal information for the convenience of banking, shopping, and communication. In the past few years, companies in the region have been witnessing increasing DDoS attacks, which has resulted in tremendous awareness related to protection solutions. Also, according to the White House Council of Economic Advisers, the US economy loses approximately USD 57 billion to USD 109 billion per year to harmful cyber activity.
- Moreover, according to Atlas VPN, it was estimated that there were more than 175,000 DDoS attacks in the United States in March 2020 alone. Attackers tried to disable the website of the US Department of Health and Human Services. The primary purpose seemed to deprive the citizens of access to official data regarding the COVID-19 pandemic and the measures being taken against it.
- The US government also signed a law to establish the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) to enhance the national defense against cyberattacks. The agency works with the federal government to provide cybersecurity tools, incident response services, and assessment capabilities to safeguard the governmental networks that support essential operations of the partner departments and agencies. As a result, it opens new avenues for the new and existing companies to invest in a suitable protection suite designed for the industry.
- Various firms are deploying standalone 5G networks, and they would need security partners to become ingrained in their network and security against attacks well before a threat occurs. For instance, in April 2021, DISH Network Corporation chose Allot Ltd to provide end-to-end User Plane Protection (UPP) against DDoS and botnet attacks on the United States' cloud-native, OpenRAN-based 5G network.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
DDoS Protection Industry Overview
The DDoS protection market primarily comprises multiple domestic and international players fighting for attention in a somewhat contested market space. The market is also characterized by growing product penetration, moderate/high product differentiation, and high levels of competition. The market is product-centric, and technological advancements constantly govern it. Innovations, R&D investments, partnerships, and M&As are expected to be part of the competitive strategy among the vendors operating in the market. Overall, the intensity of the competitive rivalry is high, and it is expected to remain the same during the forecast period.
- June 2022 - G-Core Labs, in partnership with Intel, launched a standalone solution (eBPF) providing mitigation of DDoS attacks with a low impact on overall latency. The XDP-based solution removes the need for a dedicated DDoS protection server role and protects against SYN Flood DDoS attacks.
- March 2022 - Corero Network Security, a real-time, high-performance DDoS cyber defense solutions provider, extended its automatic protection against Botnet and Carpet Bomb attacks. The company’s mission is to make the internet a safer place to do business by protecting against the disruption and downtime caused by DDoS attacks.
- February 2022 - Radware acquired SecurityDAM for USD 30 million, with contingent payments of up to USD 12.5 million for Radware’s cloud DDoS protection service after the deal.
DDoS Protection Market Leaders
Arbor Networks Inc. (NetScout Systems Inc.)
Akamai Technologies Inc.
F5 Networks Inc.
Corero Network Security Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
DDoS Protection Market News
- September 2022 - Liquid Networks, a business of Cassava Technologies, launched a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Secure offering to its customers. The company announced that the service is offered to all potential Internet & IP transit clients and will provide these services to existing customers in the African region.
- April 2022 - MazeBolt Technologies, an Israeli cybersecurity firm, announced the completion of USD 10 million in existing shareholder's equity financing for developing the MazeBolt RADAR solution.
- January 2022 - Bigleaf Networks launched an automated DDoS mitigation service that works across multiple circuits to help businesses deliver more reliable connectivity to their users by protecting the performance of their internet connections from overt and passive attacks and interruptions. The new service allows companies facing upcoming DDoS compliance requirements, those who have experienced DDoS attacks, and businesses constrained by limited resources to implement and manage their DDoS mitigation services.
DDoS Protection Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1 Research Framework
2.2 Secondary Research
2.3 Primary Research
2.4 Data Triangulation and Insight Generation
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increasing Instances of Sophisticated DDoS Attacks
5.1.2 Introduction of Cost-effective Cloud-based and Hybrid Solutions
5.1.3 Proliferation of Technology and Adoption of IoT across Various Verticals
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Growing Network and Deployment Complexities
6. RELEVANT USE CASES AND CASE STUDIES
7. MARKET SEGMENTATION
7.2 Deployment Type
7.3 Size of Enterprise
7.3.1 Small and Medium Enterprises
7.3.2 Large Enterprises
7.4 End-user Industry
7.4.1 Government and Defense
7.4.2 IT and Telecommunication
7.4.6 Media and Entertainment
7.4.7 Other End-user Industries
7.5.1 North America
7.5.4 Rest of the World
8. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
8.1 Company Profiles
8.1.1 Arbor Networks Inc. (NetScout Systems Inc.)
8.1.2 Akamai Technologies Inc.
8.1.3 F5 Networks Inc.
8.1.4 Imperva Inc.
8.1.5 Radware Ltd
8.1.6 Corero Network Security Inc.
8.1.7 Neustar Inc.
8.1.8 Cloudflare Inc.
8.1.9 Nexusguard Ltd
8.1.10 Dosarrest Internet Security Ltd
8.1.11 Verisign Inc.
- *List Not Exhaustive
9. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
10. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
DDoS Protection Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Protection Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Protection Market?
The Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Protection Market is growing at a CAGR of 18.21% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Protection Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Protection Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Protection Market?
Arbor Networks Inc. (NetScout Systems Inc.), Akamai Technologies Inc., F5 Networks Inc., Radware Ltd, Corero Network Security Inc. are the major companies operating in Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Protection Market.
Global Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Protection Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Global Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Protection market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Global Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Protection analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.