|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The melamine market size was evaluated at more than 1,600 kiloton in 2021. It is projected to register a CAGR of around 4% during the forecast period.
The market improved in 2021. With construction and automotive manufacturing activities recovering from the lockdown, the demand for construction materials such as laminates, paints and coatings, and wood adhesives increased. Thus, this demand surge boosted the melamine market in 2021. The construction industry is recovering rapidly and is estimated to grow further in the coming years, which may boost the demand for melamine.
- Over the short term, the rising demand for laminates, coatings, and wood adhesives from the construction industry is expected to drive the market’s growth.
- The availability of substitutes like liquefied wood, soy, and powder coatings is expected to hinder the market’s growth.
- However, the increasing trend of melamine-based foams is likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the world, with the largest consumption from China and India.
Scope of the Report
Melamine is a nitrogen-rich organic chemical compound with the formula C3H6N6 that has several industrial and construction applications, including manufacturing glues, laminates, molding compounds, paints, and flame retardants. It can be manufactured commercially from two raw materials - urea and dicyandiamide. The melamine market is segmented by application and geography. The report also covers the market size and forecast for the melamine market in 16 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecast have been done based on volume (kiloton).
|Paints and Coatings|
|Other Applications (Flame Retardants and Textile Resins)|
Key Market Trends
Laminates Segment to Dominate the Market
- Melamine resins are the polymers of choice used in the outer or decorative layer of laminates, as well as in the manufacture of counter and tabletops, kitchen cabinets, flooring, furniture, etc.
- Melamine resins impart hardness, transparency, stain resistance, freedom from discoloration, and overall durability. For this application, the resin used to saturate the overlay or decorative sheet is prepared by reacting approximately two moles of formaldehyde per mole of melamine.
- These sheets are commonly applied to the surface decoration projects, such as walls, columns, tabletops, furniture, and suspended ceilings.
- According to the US Census data, the total construction spending in February 2022 was around USD 1,704.4 billion compared to USD 1,695.5 billion in January 2022.
- Therefore, such factors are expected to significantly impact the melamine market in the coming years.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the overall market share. With growing construction activities and the increasing demand for laminates, wood adhesives, and paints and coatings in China, India, and Japan, the usage of melamine is increasing in the region.
- China accounts for more than one-fourth of the global coatings market. According to the China National Coatings Industry Association, the industry registered a 7% growth in recent years.
- The Chinese government rolled out massive construction plans, including making provisions for the movement of 250 million people to its new megacities over the next 10 years. Such plans will increase the demand for paints where melamine is used to prepare paints.
- According to the Civil Aviation Administration of China, the government has resumed construction work on more than 80% of total airport projects, representing 65 airport projects across the country. Out of these, 27 airports are the national major airport projects. Such projects are expected to increase the demand for melamine.
- Therefore, the abovementioned factors are expected to significantly impact the market in the coming years.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The melamine market is fragmented, and the top five players account for around 40% of the total production capacity. These companies include (not in any particular order) OCI NV, Borealis AG, Henan Xinlianxin Chemicals Group Co. Ltd, Prefere Resins Holding GmbH, and Grupa Azoty.
Prefere Resins Holding GmbH
Henan Xinlianxin Chemicals Group Co. Ltd
- In August 2021, Nissan Chemical Corporation decided to terminate melamine production. The company plans to concentrate on the management of resources on high value-added products and high market share products with the expansion of sales and reduction of costs, thereby increasing the profitability of the chemical business.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Strong Demand from the Construction Industry
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Increasing Consumer Concerns About Formaldehyde Emission from Melamine-based Molding Compounds
4.2.2 Availability of Substitutes, like Liquefied Wood, Soy, and Powder Coatings
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Feedstock Analysis and Trends
4.6 Production Process
4.7 Import-export Trends
4.8 Price Trends
4.9 Patent Analysis
4.10 Regulatory Policy Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.2 Wood Adhesives
5.1.3 Molding Compounds
5.1.4 Paints and Coatings
5.1.5 Other Applications (Flame Retardants and Textile Resins)
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.2.2 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
5.2.4 South America
188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
5.2.5 Middle-East and Africa
184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%) Analysis** / Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 BASF SE
6.4.2 Borealis AG
6.4.3 Cornerstone Chemical Company
6.4.4 Grupa Azoty
6.4.5 Gujarat State Fertilizers & Chemicals Limited (GSFC)
6.4.6 Prefere Resins Holding GmbH
6.4.7 Methanol Holdings (Trinidad) Limited (MHTL)
6.4.8 Mitsui Chemicals Inc.
6.4.10 Nissan Chemical Corporation
6.4.11 OCI NV
6.4.12 Qatar Melamine Company
6.4.13 Sichuan Chemical Works Group Ltd
6.4.14 Henan Xinlianxin Chemicals Group Co. Ltd
6.4.15 Eurochem Group
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Increasing Trend of Melamine-based Foams
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Melamine Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Melamine Market?
The Melamine Market is growing at a CAGR of >4% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Melamine Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Melamine Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Melamine Market?
OCI NV, Borealis AG, Prefere Resins Holding GmbH, Grupa Azoty, Henan Xinlianxin Chemicals Group Co. Ltd are the major companies operating in Melamine Market.