Crane Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
|CAGR:||> 6.3 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Crane Market Analysis
Currently, the crane market is valued at USD 37.20 billion, and it is expected to reach USD 55.27 billion, registering a CAGR of 5.55% over the next five years. Manufacturers are implementing contingency plans to mitigate future business uncertainties to retain continuity with clients in the critical sectors of the automobile industry.
- In 2020, Liebeherr Group focussed its R&D efforts on alternative drivetrain technologies. The Group launched the world’s first battery-powered crawler cranes and the LR 1250.1 unplugged. The Group also focused on the remote production of tits cranes by remotely assembling a mobile harbor crane of the LHM 420 type in Argentina through Liebherr Remote Service App operated from Germany to mitigate the effects of the lockdown on its regular production in May 2020.
- Over the forecast period, the crane industry is expected to benefit from automated technology deployment to decrease human involvement in manufacturing facilities and offices. The fast expansion of the infrastructure and building industry to various new construction and restoration projects creates strong demand for these types of equipment.
- The crane industry is expanding due to increased government and private expenditures on new construction and development projects to offer improved infrastructural amenities. The requirement for improved structures in several industry verticals, such as telecommunications, oil and gas, and manufacturing, also supports marketing. These machines are gaining popularity in various sectors due to their superior performance and efficiency over traditional choices. The market is also anticipated to display healthy growth due to the construction of high-rise buildings like the Jeddah Tower in Saudi Arabia and the Merdeka 118 Tower in Malaysia.
- October 2022: Liebherr Group launched a new 520 EC-B crane with fiber rope. The crane has a lifting capacity of 20 ton, and its flat top design makes it versatile for many applications.
- October 2022: Manitowoc Cranes, a subsidiary of Manitowoc Company Inc., won an order for 12 Potain Igo MA 21 and three Igo 32 self-erecting cranes from Dutch crane manufacturing, sales, and rental company Montarent.
- Asia-Pacific is predicted to be the largest market for cars in the world due to the large number of high-rise buildings under construction, rapid infrastructure development, high number of ports, and presence of many crane OEMs.
Crane Industry Segments
A crane is a machine used to lift and move heavy loads, machines, materials, and goods for a variety of purposes. It is used in different industries, from construction to manufacturing to shipbuilding and material loading.
The crane market is segmented based on Type, Application Type, and Geography. By type, the market is segmented into mobile crane, fixed cranes, marine, and offshore cranes. Under mobile crane, the market is sub-segmented into all-terrain crane, rough terrain crane, crawler crane, truck-mounted crane, and other mobile cranes. Under fixed cranes, the market is sub-segmented into monorail and underhung, overhead track-mounted crane, and tower crane. Under marine and offshore crane, the market is sub-segmented into mobile harbor crane, fixed harbor crane, offshore, and ship crane. By application type, the market is segmented into construction, mining and excavation, marine and offshore, and industrial applications. By geography, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World. The market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of value (USD billion) for all the above segments.
|By Application Type|
|Construction and Mining|
|Marine and Offshore|
Crane Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Crane Market according to our research experts:
The All-terrain Crane Segment is Expected to Dominate the Market
All-terrain cranes are built to work in a variety of weather situations. All-terrain cranes are expected to acquire substantial traction around the world, owing to the rising construction sector and industrial expansion. Construction and other end-user sectors rely heavily on all-terrain cranes. Traditional lifting and construction equipment are being replaced by all-terrain cranes, which is expected to drive the market for all-terrain cranes throughout the forecast period.
Due to their high-intensity output and capacity to operate in unfavorable terrains and weather conditions, all-terrain cranes are becoming increasingly popular in the new age of construction, which is anticipated to help in their expansion in the near future. In recent years, the need for all-terrain cranes has risen dramatically due to the growing popularity of tall building construction, mining, and power resource development.
The major players in the market are also launching new product portfolios to gain a competitive edge over their competitors. For instance-
- May 2022: Sany India launched 22 new machines which are specifically designed for Indian market including SRC 400C CEV IV compliant rough terrain crane at EXCON 2022.
- November 2022: XCMG launched 10 new electric machines including XCA60EV, world's first plug-in hybrid crane at BAUMA 2022.
Thus it is predicted that the combination of all the above factors will see All-terrain Crane segment to dominate the market for next five years.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific is anticipated to be the Fastest-growing Region
The growth of public infrastructure and housing units is expected to drive the crane market in the Asia-Pacific region. One of the largest manufacturers and consumers of construction equipment is in China. In the construction market, cranes hold a large chunk of the market share, making China the largest market for cranes in the Asia-Pacific region. In India, the government made several announcements in the Union Budget 2021-2022 to improve the infrastructure in the country. For instance-
- July 2022: The Indian government allocated INR 10 lakh crore (USD 130.7 billion) to accelerate the development of integrated infrastructure like multi-modal logistics hubs and ports in the country during the Union Budget 2022-23.
Moreover, less human intervention with physical work, which leads to decreased labor injuries during construction work, is expected to increase the adoption of cranes for carrying forward construction activities effectively. It is expected to positively impact the overall market growth in the Asia-Pacific crane market, particularly in Japan and India, where the construction sector is experiencing significant scaling development.
The construction of high-rise buildings is also gaining rapid pace in Asia-Pacific due to growing urbanization, the acute housing shortage in major cities, and high population growth. In 2022, 23 of 25 world's highest bulidings are constructed in Asia-Pacific. Cranes are used to lift and transport heavy construction materials in the construction of high-rise buildings. Thus the rise in the construction of high-rise buildings is also anticipated to drive the crane market in Asia-Pacific over the next five years.
Similarly, the introduction of bullet trains, a project the government is working on and will complete in the near future, is expected to provide profitable chances in the Indian crane market. The high degree of construction of bullet trains necessitates crane machines to lift heavy objects during the development of train structures, which is expected to generate significant demand projections for crane machines in the country in the coming years, benefiting the region's crane market, which is also expected to have a positive impact on the global crane market during the forecast period.
Product launches by key OEMs are also expanding the market for cranes in Asia-Pacific. For instance
- April 2022: Tadano Limited announced that it is developing the world's first electric all-terrain crane as a part of its initiative to meet its carbon neutrality goals of achieving a 25% reduction in carbon emissions from product use by 2030. The crane is expected to be launched by late 2023.
- March 2022: XCMG launched the Windflex XCA1800 series of all-terrain cranes. The crane has a lifting weight of 148 ton at the 140m maximum lifting height, a maximum gradeability of 27% and a maximum heavy-load transition capability of 284 ton.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Crane Market Competitor Analysis
The crane market is highly consolidated and dominated by a few major players. Some of the leading players in the market studied are Manitowoc, Tadano, Kobelco, Cargotec, Kone Cranes, Liebherr, SANY Global, Palfinger, Zoomlion, and XCMG.
These players have successfully capitalized on the significant demand for reliable cranes from key players in the construction, mining, and industrial sectors.
The major players in the region are spending heavily on the research and development of new products and delivering cranes globally. They also focus on growth strategies, such as new product launches and securing major orders to strengthen their positions.
- October 2022: Terex Cranes introduced CTT 222-10 Flat Top Tower Crane. To maintain safety, the adjustable slewing seat and integrated heating and cooling system keep operators comfortable, productive, and focused on their work. The maximum capacity of this model is 10 ton, the maximum jib length is 65 m, and the maximum free-standing height (C25) is 54.35 m, 72.95 m, and 67.85 m.
- October 2022: Zoomlion Heavy Industry Science & Technology Co., Ltd. launched R-generation tower cranes specifically developed for the European market at BAUMA 2022.
- May 2022: Tadano Demag Cranes GmbH secured the biggest order from Expertise Contracting Company of Saudi Arabia for 79 Demag AC cranes.
Crane Market Top Players
Sany heavy Industry Co. Ltd.
Xuzhou Construction Machinery Group Co., Ltd
Zoomlion Heavy Industry Science and Technology Co., Ltd
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Crane Market Recent Developments
- November 2022: Konecranes Oyj won an order for a fleet of 18 Automated Stacking Cranes (ASCs) from the London Gateway Terminal. The cranes will be equipped with Konecranes automation technology.
- October 2022: Liebherr Group received an order from MAXIKraft, including new cranes and trade-ins worth EUR 100 million (USD 101 million). The cranes would be delivered to all MAXIKraft Group companies at MAXIKraft, MaxiMum, Kranlogistik Sachsen, Kranlogistik Lausitz, and Treffler over the entire year of 2023.
- October 2022: Hüffermann Krandienst GmbH ordered 70 cranes, including 53 K to 125 K, and top-slewing cranes of type 125 EC-B to 520 EC-B Fibre from Liebherr Group. The cranes will be used for industrial construction and infrastructure and residential October 2022: Kalmar, a subsidiary of Cargotec Group, received an order of 12 Kalmar Hybrid Straddle Carriers from GMP (Générale de Manutention Portuaire) in Le Havre, France.
Crane Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Challenges
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Type
5.1.1 Mobile Crane
18.104.22.168 All-terrain Crane
22.214.171.124 Rough Terrain Crane
126.96.36.199 Crawler Crane
188.8.131.52 Truck-mounted Crane
184.108.40.206 Other Mobile Cranes
5.1.2 Fixed Crane
220.127.116.11 Monorail and Underhung
18.104.22.168 Overhead Track-mounted Crane
22.214.171.124 Tower Crane
5.1.3 Marine and Offshore Crane
126.96.36.199 Mobile Harbor Crane
188.8.131.52 Fixed Harbor Crane
184.108.40.206 Ship Crane
5.2 By Application Type
5.2.1 Construction and Mining
5.2.2 Marine and Offshore
5.2.3 Industrial Applications
5.3 By Geography
5.3.1 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 Rest of North America
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 Rest of the World
220.127.116.11 United Arab Emirates
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 Other Countries
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Vendor Market Share
6.2 Company Profiles*
6.2.1 Konecranes PLC
6.2.2 Cargotec OYJ
6.2.4 Terex Corporation
6.2.5 Tadano Limited
6.2.6 Kobelco Cranes Co. Ltd
6.2.7 Palfinger AG
6.2.8 Liebherr-International AG
6.2.9 Zoomlion Heavy Industry Science and Technology Co. Ltd
6.2.10 Favelle Favco Group
6.2.11 Hitachi Sumitomo Heavy Industries Construction Cranes Co. Ltd
6.2.12 XCMG Group
6.2.13 SANY Group
6.2.14 Shanghai Heavy Industries Co. Ltd (ZPMC)
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Crane Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Crane Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Crane Market?
The Crane Market is growing at a CAGR of >6.3% over the next 5 years.
What is Crane Market size in 2018?
The Crane Market is valued at 37 Billion USD in 2018.
What is Crane Market size in 2028?
The Crane Market is valued at 55 Billion USD in 2028.
Which region has highest growth rate in Crane Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Crane Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Crane Market?
Sany heavy Industry Co. Ltd. , Xuzhou Construction Machinery Group Co., Ltd, Zoomlion Heavy Industry Science and Technology Co., Ltd, Konecranes Oyj, Liebherr Group are the major companies operating in Crane Market.
Crane Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Crane sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Crane research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to Intelligenc. Available to download is a free sample file of the Crane report PDF.