Containerized Data Center Industry Overview
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Containerized Data Center Market Analysis
The global containerized data center market is expected to register a CAGR of 25.49% during the forecast period.
- Big data and Internet-of-Things (IoT) technology will expand investments in the containerized data center market. Enterprises worldwide are witnessing high data generation across industries, such as IT and telecom, BFSI, healthcare, and government and defense. The growing cloud computing increasing penetration of foreign cloud vendors, government regulations for local data security, and increasing investment by domestic players are some of the major factors driving the demand for containerized data centers.
- The government plays a crucial role in the containerized data center market growth. Various government bodies focus on digital infrastructure to fuel job opportunities and drive innovation. For instance, in June this year, the UK government revealed its eagerly expected digital plan to support the nation's digital economy. By 2025, the government claimed that the new UK Digital Strategy could boost the economy's contribution from the UK tech sector by USD 41.5 billion.
- The need for data centers has increased in recent years due to the high adoption of cloud services. According to the survey results published in the Cloud Infrastructure Report 2021, 57% of the respondents reported that more than half of their infrastructure is in the cloud, while 64% expect that they will be fully in the public cloud in the next five years.
- The significant demand in the IT and telecommunication industries for data processing and storage of vast amounts of data daily has been one of the primary reasons for the growth of the data center construction market in this segment. Moreover, with the advent of more technology and service-based startups, these SMEs have shifted focus to cost-effective solutions. This has led to increased migration to the cloud, which, in turn, has increased spending on scaling up infrastructure by IT solution providers.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic's impact on the advent of remote work, online learning, and virtual entertainment, as well as the expanding influence of big data and the internet of things, global containerized data center operators are seeing a sharp rise in demand for their processing and storage capacity. As a result, data centers offer a great chance for the global economy to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic. Further, the New South Wales (NSW) state government announced the interim reclassification of data centers as State Significant Developments in reaction to the financial effects of the COVID-19 epidemic on the domestic economy and in appreciation of the economic benefits of data centers (SSDs).
- Distributing data across a large network containing numerous devices and data centers operating from enterprise locations can create problems with network visibility and control, with each device representing another potential endpoint, especially in the IoT network framework. Other devices that use edge have similar problems. Security loopholes can give hackers easy access to the core network, further creating performance constraints for data centers. With the global adoption of IoT, any increase in network node points increases security concerns further. Moreover, IoT devices are some of the frequently targeted devices.
Containerized Data Center Industry Segments
A containerized data center is primarily defined as a modular data center incorporated into a standard shipping container or similar type of container. The containers are then fabricated with all the necessary components used in a data center, including cooling, power, and racks. The report covers the emerging trends in containerized data center market segmented by type, and end-user across different regions studied.
The containerized data center market is segmented by ownership type (purchase, lease), end user (BFSI, IT telecommunications, government, education, healthcare, defense, entertainment, and media ), and geography (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa).
The market sizes and forecasts are provided in terms of value (USD million) for all the above segments.
|By Ownership Type|
|By End User|
|IT and Telecommunications|
|Entertainment and Media|
|Other End Users (Industrial, Energy)|
|Middle East and Africa|
Containerized Data Center Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Containerized Data Center Market according to our research experts:
Rising Demand for Energy Efficient Data Centers
- An environmentally friendly data center's primary goals are energy efficiency and minimal environmental effect. A green or sustainable data center is a location for storing, managing and transmitting data where all systems, including mechanical and electrical ones, conserve energy. It produces fewer carbon footprints, which reduces costs and improves efficiency.
- Further, these green data centers enable contemporary firms to conserve electricity and cut carbon emissions. Their use is expanding globally among both large corporations and SMBs. Such data centers can successfully serve the aims of a vast array of company data, from collection to processing and review to distribution.
- Moreover, the government has released plans to achieve carbon neutrality in the region. For example, in June this year, the Japanese government released a preliminary report on its "Clean Energy Strategy." Further, growth will be attained through maintaining a reliable and inexpensive energy supply for the future while striving to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050 and a 46% decrease in greenhouse gas emissions in fiscal 2030. To reach two ambitious goals—carbon neutrality by 2050 and a 46% decrease in greenhouse emissions (GHG) in fiscal 2030 Japan has intensified its decarbonization efforts.
- According to the Dutch Data Center Association, 80% of data centers in the Netherlands use green electricity. This means that at least 20% of Dutch data centers are still largely reliant on fossil fuels. The green energy used is often 'light green' electricity ('certified power') and does not come from sustainable electricity generation in the Netherlands. Only a small part of the power supply for data centers is 'dark green,' meaning that it is generated sustainably in the Netherlands. There is still a lot of work to be done, particularly considering the Climate Accord and the objectives of the Dutch Climate Act, namely the almost eradication of greenhouse gases and CO2- neutral electricity generation in this country by 2050.
- Further, according to Cloud scene, 2,701 data centers were located in the United States as of January this year, and 487 more were found in Germany. With 456, the United Kingdom came in third place among nations regarding the number of data centers behind China (443).
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America is Expected to Hold Major Share
- The North American containerized data center market is predicted to grow rapidly in the next few years. Several factors fuel this expansion, including the rise of big data and cloud computing and increased demand for colocation services. This blog post will examine the North American containerized data center market and some key drivers driving its expansion.
- According to Temenos AG, the adoption of cloud is increasing in the US BFSI industry as 81% of bankers believe that a multi-cloud strategy would become a regulatory prerequisite after several years of regulatory focus on cloud technologies in the United States, and 77% of bankers believed that unlocking value from artifiical intelligence (AI) will be the differentiator between winning and losing banks. This is because the proliferation of the cloud, AI, and the IoT has generated voluminous data that increases the need for data centers, thereby stimulating the growth of the market studied.
- In April this year, US Bancorp is expanding its use of cloud-based technologies, but for the time being, it will continue to use its Chaska data center. In addition to closing two minor data centers in the Atlanta and Knoxville regions, the Minneapolis-based bank said it would use Microsoft's Azure to offer cloud services. The bank occupied a new 56,000-square-foot data center in Chaska in 2017. The site, built by Texas-based Stream Data Centers, received more than USD 1 million in total public grants and subsidies, including a 20-year tax abatement from the city valued at approximately USD 548,000, a budget of USD 287,000 from the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development, and a grant of USD 250,000 from DEED to support infrastructure upgrades.
- Further, the rise in data center construction would create an opportunity for the studied market to grow. For instance, in April this year, Meta, the parent company of Facebook, started two new data center projects in Missouri and Texas, bringing its total investment in US data center construction and operations to almost USD 16 billion. A USD 800 million facility in Temple, Texas, will total approximately 900,000 square feet, while another USD 800 million facility in Kansas City, Missouri, will total nearly 1 million square feet.
- Further, With the rise of IoT and connected technologies, many firms have been forced to change into digital enterprises, which has increased the need for an advanced data center ecosystem that provides scalability, rapid deployment, security, flexibility, and availability. This change in business trends enables the evolution and creation of cutting-edge, highly agile, cost-efficient, and software-defined solutions. The factors mentioned above are anticipated to propel market growth.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Containerized Data Center Market Competitor Analysis
The major players include - IBM Corporation, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Cisco Systems Inc., Dell Inc., Rittal GmbH & Co. KG, and Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd, among others. These players increasingly undertake mergers, acquisitions, and product launches to develop and introduce new technologies and products. As a result of this, the market concentration will be Moderately consolidated.
In May 2022, Huawei unveiled PowerPOD 3.0, a brand-new power supply system, as well as the definition of the Next-Generation Data Center Facility. Based on the collective wisdom and joint efforts of the Huawei Data Center Facility Team and industry experts, the latest rollouts confirm Huawei's commitment to developing low-carbon smart data centers. Next-generation data center buildings will be completely green and energy-efficient, with all data center materials recycled to the greatest extent possible. As a result, the total data center ecosystem will be ecologically benign and sustainable.
In February 2022, the second stage of construction of one of Vantage's data center complexes in Frankfurt, Germany, was revealed. On its 55 MW EU campus (FRA1) in Offenbach, the business announced that it would erect the second of three buildings there. When fully constructed, the plant will have a 16 MW capacity and be 13,000 square meters (140,000 square feet) in size. It will begin serving customers in the first half of 2024.
Containerized Data Center Market Top Players
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
Cisco Systems Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Containerized Data Center Market Recent Developments
- September 2022: Vertiv introduced Vertiv prefabricated modular data centers and infrastructure options in India. The integrated solutions are flexible platforms suited for IT asset deployment and provide a straightforward way to install capacity in less time. They also offer simple scalability, letting the data center operator start with a solution that suits immediate needs and then scale up as needed. They incorporate elements from Vertiv's solution portfolio, such as the modular and scalable Vertiv Liebert EXM UPS power protection, row-based Vertiv Liebert CRV thermal management units with intelligent Vertiv Liebert iCOMTM controls, Vertiv VR racks, and Vertiv's rack power distribution units.
- June 2022: Schneider Electric announced the debut of a faster-prefabricated data center solution in Europe and a "modernization" of its infrastructure management tool, Ecostruxure IT. Under the "Easy Modular Data Center All-in-One" brand, Schneider will deliver prefabricated containerized data centers ranging from 27kW to 80kW manufactured at its Barcelona factory, with a simplified ordering process. Containers can now be bought through a simple catalog and delivered in as little as 12 weeks.
Containerized Data Center Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHT
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3.5 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4 Market Drivers
4.4.1 Need for Portability and Increasing Demand for Scalable Data Center Solutions
4.4.2 Rising Demand for Energy Efficient Data Centers
4.5 Market Restraints
4.5.1 Limited Computing Performance
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Ownership Type
5.2 By End User
5.2.2 IT and Telecommunications
5.2.7 Entertainment and Media
5.2.8 Other End Users (Industrial, Energy)
5.3.1 North America
5.3.3 Asia Pacific
5.3.4 Latin America
5.3.5 Middle East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
6.1.2 IBM Corporation
6.1.3 Dell Inc.
6.1.4 Cisco Systems Inc.
6.1.5 Huawei Technologies
6.1.6 Emerson Network Power(Emerson Electric Co.)
6.1.7 Schneider Electric SE (acquired AST Modular)
6.1.8 Rittal Gmbh & Co. KG
6.1.9 Baselayer Technology, LLC.
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Containerized Data Center Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Containerized Data Center Market market is studied from 2019 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Containerized Data Center Market?
The Containerized Data Center Market is growing at a CAGR of 25.49% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Containerized Data Center Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Containerized Data Center Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Containerized Data Center Market?
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company, IBM Corporation, Dell Inc., Cisco Systems Inc., Huawei Technologies are the major companies operating in Containerized Data Center Market.
Containerized Data Center Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Containerized Data Center sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Containerized Data Center research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Containerized Data Center report PDF.